• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

please help my platinum team

jaxonferz

Well I’m not a pro but here is my first team I plan for platinum. Any help would be helpful. thank you to diinbong for much help but more critism would be appreciated :)

my team-- ;142; ;475; ;121; ;462; ;232; ;442;

;142;aerodactyl @ focus sash
Jolly - Pressure
252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

;475;Gallade @ Leftovers
Careful - Steadfast
236 HP/ 88 Def/ 136 SpD/ 48 Spe
~Bulk Up
~Brick Break
~Night Slash
~Psycho Cut

can use bulk up to raise attack for a powerful attack.

;121;Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid - Natural Cure
160 HP / 132 SpA / 216 Spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

heres my late game special sweeper. recover helps with life orb.

;462;Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Naive - Magnet Pull
46 Atk / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-magnet rise/ hp- grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion
Magnet rise will get rid of his 4x ground weakness and than it won’t have to worry about earthquake bothering him but i could also use hp grass to take out the popular ryhperior/swampert

;232;Donphan @ choice band
252 Atk/20 Spd/236 hp
Adamant - sturdy
-stone edge
-earthquake
-seed bomb
-ice shard

This one has a very wide range of super effective hits- fire, flying, ice, electric, poison, steel, ground, rock, water, grass and dragon. He will also be very effective with ice shard against the infamous salamence. i prefer this over hipowdon since my team doesnt really work with sandstorm.

;442;spiritomb @ ???
252 Satk/ 128 def/ 128 Sdef
modest - pressure
-pain split
-dark pulse
-shadow ball
-nasty plot
this is pretty much my defence pokemon. it can use pain split to help after being hurt and if i get a free turn i can use nasty plot to set up STAB dark pulse/shadow ball

anyway thats pretty much it. i probably need alota help so any feed back is welcome

Last edited:

diinbong

Well I’m not a pro but here is my first team I plan for platinum. Any help would be helpful

Torterra
252 hp/148 atk/108 def
Impish nature @ leftovers
- Earthquake
- Wood hammer
- leech seed
- Stealth rock

Set up stealth rock and switch out depending on opponent.

I'm not sure on this, really. You already have a Ground Physical Tank in Donphan, so this is kind of redundant. I suggest replacing it with this:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly - Pressure
252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Taunt is extremely useful nowadays, and this ensures that you get Stealth Rock.

Gallade
252atk/236hp/20 Sdef
Adamant @ wide lens
-night slash
-hypnosis
-sword dance
-psycho cut

Uses wide lense for better accuracy on hypnosis and than uses sword dance while asleep to get ready for powerful night slash/psycho cut

First of all, the EVs should be Adamant 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe. Change the attacking options to Close Combat and Stone Edge (Stone Edge abuses the greater accuracy and has good coverage). Pretty coolio.

Starmie
172 hp/216 spd/120 Satk
Timid @ choice specs
-rapid spin/thunderbolt
-ice beam
-surf
-recover

I’m not sure if I should use rapid spin or thunderbolt for Starmie. Rapid spin can of course get rid of stealth rock but none of my team is actually weak to stealth rock.

Why are you going Specs if you want to run Recover and Rapid Spin? Either go one or the other :/ For you, I think a CounterStar is a good Pokemon to help with some threats and to Sweep Late Game:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid - Natural Cure
160 HP / 132 SpA / 216 Spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

This protects you from some threats like Infernape and Gyarados while being a reasonable late game-sweeper. Recover is to heal Life Orb damage.

Magnezone
252 Satk/130 spd/126 Sdef
Modest or timid @???
-flash cannon
-magnet rise
-discharge/thunderbolt
-???

I really like this guy but I’m not sure what to use for the last move. Magnet rise will get rid of his 4x ground weakness and than it won’t have to worry about earthquake bothering him. Any ideas for his "???"

If you're using this for Platinum, you need it to reliably counter Scizor. A Choice Specs set will also add some power:

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Naive - Magnet Pull
46 Atk / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Awesome set. The I made up the EVs on the spot, but I know they will always outrun Adamant Scizor and OHKO with Thunderbolt. HP Grass if you fear Rhyperior and Swampert. Explosion to beat Special Walls. Naive is used over Hasty to allow you to switch into Physical Attacks better.

Donphan
252 Atk/20 Spd/236 hp
Adamant @ choice band
-stone edge
-earthquake
-seed bomb
-ice shard

This one has a very wide range of super effective hits- fire, flying, ice, electric, poison, steel, ground, rock, water, grass and dragon. He will also be very effective with ice shard against the infamous salamence

I don't like this being choiced when you need to counter Physical Attackers really well with it. I'd actually rather you replace this with Hippowdon for basically the same thing but higher defenses overall.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish - Sand Stream
252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 Def / 88 SpD
-Earthquake
-Slack Off
-Stealth Rock
-Roar / Ice Fang

Registeel
148Def/120Sdef/120Atk/120Satk
Relaxed @???
-flash cannon
-hammer arm
-shadow claw
-thunderbolt

I assumed my main threats to Registeel would be earthquake and close combat and that I wouldn’t be outrunning anyone soon so I chose relaxed nature. This would be my mixed attacker and mixed wall. I’m not exactly sure what to choose for his item.

Only use Registeel if you are pairing it with Gyarados. Plus, the EVs are all over the place and make no sense. I'm not quite sure what should go here instead. A Celebi?

anyway thats pretty much it. i probably need alota help so any feed back is welcome

Look at the suggestions I made and it'll be goooood. Just can't think of something in the last slot.

Blaze55584

Torterra is a terrible lead i think your just trying to get stealth rock.

Gallade
2atk/236hp/20 SdefAdamant @ wide lens
-Ice Punch
-Close Combat
-Sword dance
-Psycho cut/stone edge

Your choice if u do stone edge but it really comes down to your teams type coverage keep psycho cut tho

I see know point in having donphan and starmie. Keep starmie because 1.Rapid spin and 2. because its a far better STAB attacking thing

Magnezone@Leftovers
Nature: Modest
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
-Magnet Rise
-HP ice
-Thunderbolt
-substitute

I use it, pretty good and reilible to kill one or more pokemon. Ev's to make it more tank but it wont outrun most things ( fast things).

jaxonferz

lucoleon lova

^ don't get rid of shadow ball. on spiritomb, the benefits from shadow ball are greater than those of dark pulse. Shadow ball has 20% chance to lower foe's sp def, which can happen any time. But, dark pulse has 20% chance to make opponent flinch, which only happens if you are faster than the opponent, which your spiritomb is most likely not. Go for shadow ball.

consider hidden power [fight] to replace dark pulse. shadow ball and hidden power fight hit everything in the game for at least neutral damage.

Rad3n

Banned
Oh. Someone hasn't read the Speed Boundary:

The Speed Boundary

What I'm about to say is an issue that most of the CRMT population have little to no idea of, so I'd like you all to just read it and bear it in mind.

Quote:
Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 200 HP/56 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Bulk Up
---

Now since many people around here don't have a very clear understanding of the metagame, I'll take the liberty of explaining the speed issue. This pertains to the above Gallade set and a few occasional ones I've seen lately, so I do hope anyone who reads this takes this information into consideration when they make their teams/ spreads.

Note that the following statements apply only to the OU metagame, which, incidentally, is the primary metagame in existence.

Now what some people have been doing lately is to EV their Pokemon, whether by purpose or ignorantly, to outspeed other Base speed 85's and 90's. Say for example, the above Gallade reaches 284 Speed and will therefore outspeed any base speed 80-90's with a neutral nature. Now this all sounds very nice when you say it, but there is a big flaw that many people have neglected.

There is nothing to outspeed.

Yes, you read that right, there is nothing to outspeed. The reason I said that is that the OU metagame is divided into a few very significant speed boundaries. They are:

1) The extremely fast ~ stuff ranging from Gengar to Weavile that reach around 350-380 speed and the Scarfed stuff that either parallels them or reaches to the 400s, e.g. ScarfChomp.

2) The not so fast but still fast ~ this refers to stuff like Salamence, Infernape and Garchomp, which range at around 299-330 speed. This is, incidentally, a rather large group.

3) The not fast but doing their best to catch up ~ this refers to anything around the level the speed range of Jolly TTar, around 243-247 speed. This is also a rather large group.

4) The not fast and can't do anything about it ~ this refers to stuff like Machamp and Suicune, which is around the speed range 207 or so.

5) The remaining ~ which is really really slow and your everyday walls like Blissey and Skarmory.

If you're observant you should have noticed the large gap between tiers 2 and 3. Why exactly is there nothing in between? Where are the base speed 80's to 90's? Surely they exist, don't they? Well yes, they do. They do exist. Just not in OU. They're not your everyday opponents. These Pokemon are stuff like Arcanine and Blaziken which you'll only ever see once in your entire life.

Kyogre, Ho-oh and Rayquaza are also in this range, but do you honestly want to meet them?

Some, like Roserade and Porygon-Z, exist in this range. However, they'll either take a +speed nature to catch with Tier 2 or Choice Scarf all together.

There is, however, one exception to all this.

Lucario with a Modest/ Adamant nature sits at 279 speed. He's right in between Tier 2 and Tier 3.

That is why when you consider the speed of your Pokemon, you'll want to make sure what tier you want it to outspeed, and ask yourself, if doing so, does it affect its offensive/ defensive capabilities overall? Applying this example to the above Gallade, we either want it to outspeed Tier 3 (which is a large group of Pokemon) or at the very least Tier 4 (which doesn't require much investment and can often be useful. We also want it to be reasonably bulky, as well being able to take hits on the special side of the spectrum, as the physical side can be assumably solved by using Bulk Up. We then select a Careful nature, because Gallade has a much larger base SDef stat and will therefore earn an extra few stat points as opposed to using a nature that benefits one of his weaker stats e.g. Spd. Therefore what we have is:

236 HP/ 20 Def/ 196 Spd/ 56 SDef or 236 HP/ 88 Def/ 48 Spd/ 136 SDef Careful

This will probably be the best spread we can pick for this Gallade. Note how the first spread outspeeds Tier 3 by reaching 245 speed, while the second outspeeds Tier 4 by reaching 207 speed. This allows for a precise value so that we can be sure of what the Pokemon in question can or cannot outspeed and avoids wasting its EVs on something that would not result in any gain whatsoever. What we all should do when considering our speed EVs is to be precise and think about which Tier, or which specific Pokemon we want to bypass. For example, a Jirachi would aim for outspeeding Tier 3, whereas an Azelf would aim at outspeeding Starmie, Raikou and other Azelf. A Regice can make a small investment to outspeed Relaxed Swampert, whereas ScarfGengar would aim to outspeed ScarfGarchomp.

Well... maybe you have but that isn't to say I recommend Adamant 252 Atk/192 Spe/rest in HP

I recommend

Gallade @ Leftovers
Careful - Steadfast
236 HP/ 88 Def/ 136 SpD/ 48 Spe
~Bulk Up
~Brick Break
~Night Slash
~Psycho Cut

It's far more practical. Gallade has an amazing SpD so Bulk up is a great set.

jaxonferz

i'm going to have to use the above gallade set. it sounds really good to me. any other suggestions for magnezone or spiritomb maybe? thanx ahead