• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Please rate my first team

Mostubby

OK HI everybody this is my first post so i am kind of nervous.
This is my first team and i have been battling some of my friends so i thought i would send it in here to see if it would be any good in the real world of battling.
Thanks for anyone who takes the time to comment/rate my team.

My lead

Salamence

Name: Garchomp J

Ability: Intimidate

Nature: Modest

Item: Life orb

Evs: (I need help here) Current Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

Moves:

Roar
Dragon Dance
Dragon claw
Fire fang

Salamence has done alright for me battling against my friends. Obviously I use him to try and get an early sweep and can be helpful later on in the battle thanks to roar. I usually get an ice counter and when predicted roar is very useful.

Zapdos

Name: Jolteon J

Ability: Pressure

Nature: Bold

Item: Leftovers

Evs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe

Moves:

Roost
Thunder
Heat Wave
Roar

Zapdos is bulky and has some type coverage plus a power stab in Thunder when rain is activated but still has no real purpose in my team any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated. I was considering a ground type because I am pretty weak in that area.

Jirachi

Name: Celebii J

Ability: Serene Grace

Nature: Impish

Item: Damp Rock

Evs: Current evs: 36 Spa / 252 HP / 72 Atk / 150 Spd

Moves:

Rain Dance
Wish
Thunder
Zen Head but

This fellow holds my team together. Switches in, sets up rain, then has powerful thunder or stab Zen Head but the hit back with. Wish can help my Salamence or any other Poke show their face later in the battle.

Gyrados

Name: Weavile J

Ability: Intimidate

Nature: Impish

Item: Left overs

Evs: 252 HP/ 224 Def/ 32 Spe (I used this spread from another post)

Moves:

Dragon Dance
Rest
Waterfall
SleepTalk

Bulky Gyrados plus a DD plus Rain can deal some decent damage and take a number of hits.

Tentacruel

Name: Squid

Ability : Liquid ooze

Nature: Modest

Item: Left overs

Evs: 36 spa/ 36 spe/ 220 hp/ 220/ spd

Moves:

Rapid spin
Surf
Ice beam
Toxic spikes

Ok rapid spin is a must to help out my Scizor coming up next and toxic spikes plus my Salamence’s roar can. Now my ev spread is kind stupid any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scizor

Name: Deoxys

Ability: Technician

Nature: Adamant

Evs: 252atk /252 spe/ 4 hp

Item: Life orb

Moves:

Substitute
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Superpower

My late game sweeper, is an all round pain in the ***. He doesn’t really have any strategy in the team so any better replacements could help.

Mostubby

Tentacruel is there for a reason, toxic spikes to set up my team and rapid spin to clear away any entry hazards. Also raindance alows surf to do some damage.

Rhys29

Encore
remove tentacruel off the team,replace it with aggron because it could take more damage than the usual
Bad. No more rating for you. Bad.

Lead with Mence is a hit or miss, most likely a miss. If you're against Azelf, Sashed Gengar, or Weavile odds are you lose. Save him for a late game sweep and find a better lead.

Thunderbolt > Thunder. You can't always rely on getting Rain up while you pull him out and you need a reliable STAB. Heat Wave is also going against your team synergy since it gets a massive power down from the Rain, so if it was up you'd have to Thunder (Thunderbolt with my change) since otherwise you're hitting with a 50 BP non-STAB move. It can't even OHKO Scizor anymore, so you're much better of with HP-Grass so you can take out Swamperts who want to take advantage of the Rain.

Run 136 Spe EV's on Jirachi since it isn't outrunning anythinga and you will stay ahead of Adamant Cross and Paraflinch Kiss. Your EV's are also all over the place. I suggest you stick with Sp.A since a 60% para from a Thunder is far more useful than 40% flinch from Zen Headbutt. Might want to go with Water Pulse for the Rain boost and 40% confusion.

You are going to atleast want to run 96 Spe EV's so you can outrun Adamant T-Tar and TModest Magnezone. However, Vaporeon completely bars this so make sure it is out of the way before you attempt this.

Spe EV's are gonna want to be atleast 40 so you can outrun SubCune and Defensive Celebi on Tentacruel. This guy also doesn't really need Sp.A, so you can pump that into Hp and defenses.

Standard Sub/SD Scizor. He actually greatly benfits from this team because of the Rain.

~ Your team still is lacking some synergy. Since you are running RD, you're gonna want an RD lead so you can start off with the advantage and turn off weather effects caused by Hippo, T-Tar, and Abomasnow. You are also in deep sh*t if anyone has an Electric move since you have 2 weak and no resist. With a couple pokes weak to Ice and Rain abundant, you are very Starmie weak.

Mostubby

Thanks for that help and ev spread help.
What should i do now for my lead pokemon i was thinking a change in zapdos to maybe a volteon or possibly a sub electivre, any suggestions.

Rhys29

Encore
With Aerodactyl as an insanely common lead, you'd be in trouble if you used anything with a Ground weakness to set up an RD. I have a Jolteon Anti-Lead that works very well if you want to use it for just that purpose.

Jolteon@Focus Sash
Timid, Volt Absorb
252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 4 Att
Quick Attack
Shadow Ball
HP-Ice
Thunderbolt

It just works. Sash alows it to take EQ from any lead and Quick Attack kills anything it would tie/be outrun by on the second turn. Just don't use it against T-Tar, Hippo, or Abomasnow seeing as they remove the usefulness of the Sash. However, A Crobat Anti-Lead with RD might actually help, you COULD try this, however it is purely experimental and I wouldn't recommend it as of yet:

Crobat@Focus Sash
Jolly, Inner Focus
252 Spe, 252 Att, 4 Hp
Rain Dance
Bite/Pursuit/U-Turn
Steel Wing/Aerial Ace
Aerial Ace/Hypnosis/Taunt

This is worth atleast taking a look at. With Sash it is almost always garaunteed to pull off a RD (the only thing that would be able to stop it is if another Crobat got the speed flip and Hypnosised you or a poke with a move that strikes multiple times goes before you, both very rare). Bite can 2HKO Azelf and will always 2HKO Gengar, but it provides 30% flinch to both so it can be incredibly useful. Pursuit can also hit either of these guys swapping out for more damage, so it is also useful. You could always just RD and then U-Turn away as well while scoring a good hit on Weavile and Azelf (you want him out of there ASAP if it's a Weavile since it has Ice Shard). Steel Wing 2HKO's Aerodactyl and Weavile and since Aero usually takes it's first turn to set up SR you usually win, however if it decides to attack it's a speed flip. Aerial Ace 2HKO's Infernape and Inner Focus disregards Fake Out. The last move is really what you want: another attack, the fastest Hypnosis user for status, or Taunt to shut down set ups. Once again, not the best but it might work, I would have to ask/get it tested with other players. The most common RD lead is Electrode:

Electrode@Focus Sash
Hasty, Static
252 Sp.A, 176 Spe, 80 Att
Rain Dance
Thunder
Taunt
Explosion/Sucker Punch/Thunder Wave

His Spe EV's are set to outrun the 130 speed tier, mainly Aero. Obviously there for Rain Dance. Thunder is the best move to pair with this since it 1-2HKO's everything after RD is up. Taunt is simply because he's the fastest Taunt user in the OU. The last slot is if you want to go out with a Boom, have an optional way to deal some damage to Gengar or get a priority hit on a weakened Azelf, or Thunder Wave for Para support for the rest of your team (most go with Boom, but the other options are worth mentioning).

EDIT: You just triple posted, click edit under your other two and then select Delete. Mark 'Delete Message' in the bottom left and then click 'Delete this Message'.

Mostubby

Crobat is good but it does nothing to help my electric weakness.

Could i try this

Aerodactyl

Item:Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
Moveset EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Taunt/Toxic
Rain dance
Earthquake / Ice Fang
Rock Slide / Stone Edge

This has a very high chance of getting that rain dance off and then allowing me to at least damage whatever is in. I may instead be able to toxic.
I still have a gaping weakness to electric types here what should i do about that. Maybe teaching Salamence eq instead of fire fang?

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
Crobat is good but it does nothing to help my electric weakness.

That's true, it's simply a lead idea. If you lead with a poke with RD you want Thunder on Zappy btw. If you want to solve your Electric weakness a Specs Jolteon with Thunder could deal some massive damage to your opponents and switch in on the Electric attack. However it's 100% boned against Dugtrio. You could also cut one poke for Swampert.

Mostubby

how about switch zapdos for this, and make this my lead. I have found this which could prove to be very useful

Spiritomb

Evs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SpD

Rain dance
Pursuit
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp

This thing is amazing i has a great ability to counter Azelf, Alakazam, Gengar, Mismagius and possibly starmie is a great add to my team.
As a lead obvious i dance then do what be needed. Will-O-Wisp being there to counter physical based lead eg Tyraitar.
I just found this and think it would be a great addition to my team.

Ok lets try this then

Kabutops

item: focus sash

Evs: 252 atk/ 252 spe/ 4 hp

Moves:

Rain Dance
Water fall
Stone edge
aerial ace

This speed can out pace a number of opponents and when rain gets up were set.
Stone edge on the team fills in alot of holes and scizor fill Kabutops weaknesses nicely and vice versa.

And another thing the compensate for my electric weakness i replace Salamence with flygon.

flygon

item: life orb

Nature: jolly

Evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 216 Spe

Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Blast
Roost

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
It won't counter LeadZelf since it will just Taunt and then set up. And Alakazam would just Trick you Choice Scarf so you'd be stuck just use RD. Mismagius isn't really a threat nor a problem so there's no need to counter it. This wouldn't really help your team any IMO...