• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Please rate my team

cape

[insert title here]
(well... i'm just new to this forum and this is my 1st post - as i just don't know what my 1st post's supposed to be...)

Please rate my team (...or my 6 most frequtly used pkmns) and give my some suggestions on how I can improve it.
thx~~

this is a diamond team

Honchkrow ;430; (Lv. 67)
Naughty nature, has Wise Glasses
- Aerial Ace
- Shadow Ball
- Fly
- Dark Pulse (Should I replace it with Night Slash, as the crow has a higher attack stat?)

Infernape ;392; (Lv. 67)
Hasty nature, has Expert Belt
- Blast Burn (what moves can replace this?)
- Flamethrower
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Empoleon ;395; (Lv. 74)
Sassy nature, has Shell Bell
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Flash Cannon
(i want to replace one of its water-type move with Drill Peck. which should I choose?)

Azelf ;482; (Lv. 65)
Lonely nature, has Mind Plate
- Psychic
- Last Resort
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot

Luxray ;405; (Lv. 61)
Rash nature, has Scope Lens
- Thunder Fang
- Crunch
- Discharge
- Toxic

Garchomp ;445; (Lv. 62)
Sassy nature, has Leftovers
- Dragon Rush
- Stone Edge
- Strength (which moves can replace it?)
- Dig

and yeah i know the movesets are weird...:meowthbal

Last edited:

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
(well... i'm just new to this forum and this is my 1st post - as i just don't know what my 1st post's supposed to be...)

Please rate my team (...or my 6 most frequtly used pkmns) and give my some suggestions on how I can improve it.
thx~~

this is a diamond team

Honchkrow ;430; (Lv. 67)
Naughty nature, has Choice Scarf
- Aerial Ace
- Return
- Payback
- Night Slash

For Honchkrow, I see this will be one of your standard Attack sweepers. And for this to happen, you must replace all of the Sp. Attack moves for attack due to the fact of Naughty Nature (Attack 10% increase)

Infernape ;392; (Lv. 67)
Hasty nature, has Leftovers
- Flare Blitz
- Flamethrower
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Empoleon ;395; (Lv. 74)
Sassy nature, has Shell Bell
- Drill Peck
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Flash Cannon
(i want to replace one of its water-type move with Drill Peck. which should I choose?)

Azelf ;482; (Lv. 65)
Quiet nature, has Focus Sash
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Extrasensory
- Nasty Plot
Try breeding Azelf w/ a Quiet natured Ditto if you can, because Lonely nature isn't the wisest decision for Azelf. Just getting into detail, here. You can go to Solaceon town for breeding. Anyhow, Trick Room is supporting for Quiet nature (+Sp.Attack,-SpD), along with Extrasensory and Psychic. For general sweeping, I'd suggest you use Nasty Plot first, then go with Trick Room, and so on.

Luxray ;405; (Lv. 61)
Rash nature, has Scope Lens
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Discharge
- Toxic
Don't really know what to do here. Just breed for Ice Fang if you ever find that helpful (best against Ground-Types)

Garchomp ;445; (Lv. 62)
Adamant nature, has Leftovers
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Changes and Comments in Bold
Hope this feedback helps in any way!

cape

[insert title here]
wow~ that's super detailed
i'm not sure if i'll complete change the entire movesets into these but thx anyway.

btw, i've got a few questions:
1. Infernape: is Flare Blitz really that good? i'm totally annoyed by the recoil
2. Empoleon: why is Water Pulse ever better than Surf or Hydro Pump??? it's weak.
3. Garchomp: why is Dragon Claw better than Dragon Rush?
4. Whole team: does it matter when there are not even one grass move???

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
i'll answer yer questions !

1 - YES, te recoil is annoying but wtv. it's stronger. One thing that falcario pointed out was using leftoves
to try and restore the recoil damage but I think that's un necessary
Also, you have two STAB's so get rid of one for probably shadow claw

2 - lol no. Hopefully that was a typo. I'll suggest a mixed set you maayyy be interested
Surf / Ice Beam / Brick Break / Aqua Jet or Agility
3 - Dragon rush is just too inaccurate. Dragon claw is still strong and has 100 accuracy
4 - Maybe. You could add in grass knots omewhere

for azelf, grass knot could be used. two STAB's isn't necessary imo and trick room may work but has the potential to screw your whole team over
that's why I would go with a standard sweeping set for azelf:
Flamethrower / Grass Knot / Psychic / Nasty Plot

welcome to the forum :)

Aura Sensei™

User Title

thx~~

this is a diamond team

Honchkrow ;430; (Lv. 67)
Modest nature, has Wise Glasses
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost

Straightforward Sp[ecial Sweeper.Heal when nescessary and sweep.

(Should I replace it with Night Slash, as the crow has a higher attack stat?)

Infernape ;392; (Lv. 67)
Adamant nature, has Expert Belt
- Fire Punch (what moves can replace this?)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Physical sweeper.Set up,then sweep.

Empoleon ;395; (Lv. 74)
Bold nature, has Shell Bell
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Agility
- Grass Knot

This set gets great coverage.

Azelf ;482; (Lv. 65)
Modest nature, has Mind Plate
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

Set up,then sweep.

Luxray ;405; (Lv. 61)
Adamant nature, has Scope Lens
- Thunder Fang
- Crunch
- Return
- Ice Fang

Garchomp ;445; (Lv. 62)
Adamant nature, has Leftovers
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang (which moves can replace it?)
- Earthquake

Again,set up then sweep.

Comments in Bold.

GoldenGengar

Gengar Forever <3
1.Honchkrow@Wise Glasses Muscle Band
Ability:Super Luck
Nature:Naughty Jolly
-Aerial Ace Drill Peck
-Shadow Ball Night Slash
-Fly
-Dark Pulse Steel Wing
Drill Peck for STAB and nice base power and accuracy. Night Slash for STAB, nice base power, and a chance to get a crit, so this makes good use of Super Luck. Im guessing you need Fly for In-Game so ill keep that. Steel
Wing for coverage against those Rock types that will soak up your other attacks and Ice types that are a huge threat.

2.Infernape@Expert Belt Muscle Band
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Hasty Jolly
-Blast Burn Flare Blitz
-Flamethrower Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-U-Turn Swords Dance
Ok first off don't use moves that require you to recharge, it wastes your turn you will need. Go with Flare Blitz for STAB and very nice power. Stone Edge for
coverage and nice power. Then finally Swords Dance for giving him more power even when his Attack is already nice, making it better for him to Sweep.

3.Empoleon@Shell Bell Wise Glasses
Ability:Torrent
Nature:Sassy Modest
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump Agility
-Flash Cannon
Agility to boost his Speed up making him faster and it will make his special sweeping much easier.

4.Azelf@Mind Plate Wise Glasses
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Lonely Timid
-Psychic
-Last Resort Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball Flamethrower
-Nasty Plot
Thunderbolt for coverage and nice power along with good accuracy. Flamethrower for coverage and nice base power along with accuracy. Plus Energy Ball
doesn't get good coverage In-Game.

5.Luxray@Scope Lens Muscle Band
Ability:Intimidate
Nature:Rash Adamant
-Thunder Fang Spark
-Crunch
-Discharge Ice Fang
-Toxic Thunderwave
Spark over Thunder Fang cause it does the same damage but better PP and accuracy. Ice Fang for coverage and descent base power. Thunderwave to cripple
foe and better accuracy than Toxic. Also makes it easier to Sweep.

6.Garchomp@Leftovers Muscle Band
Ability:Sand Veil
Nature:Sassy Jolly
-Dragon Rush Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge Fire Fang
-Strength Earthquake
-Dig Swords Dance
Dragon Claw over Dragon Rush cause of better accuracy and PP. Stone Edge is a good move but Fire Fang will provide more coverage In-Game, it also covers
one his biggest threats Ice types. Earthquake very nice power and accuracy along with coverage. Then Swords Dance to boost his already nice power for a happy Sweeping.

Last edited:

Kays

Lati-twins <3
Honchkrow @Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
Nature: Naughty
EV: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
~ Aerial Ace Brave Bird
~ Shadow Ball Night Slash
~ Fly
~ Dark Pulse Superpower

I would prefer Insomnia over Super Luck because I much rather avoid Yawn, Hypnosis, etc. than the occasional critical hit. Honchkrow going to sleep is a terrible option. It would never survive a hit well enough to warrant a waste of a few turns. Brave Bird is the strongest Flying-type move. It would be a shame not to have it. You're not going to use Fly in-game.

Infernape @Expert Belt
Nature: Hasty Jolly
~ Blast Burn Flare Blitz
~ Flamethrower Stone Edge
~ Close Combat
~ U-turn Swords Dance

This set can be deadly. Infernape's Attack and Sp. Attack power are average at 104. It's not very high that allows Infernape to easily OHKO everything. Swords Dance remedies that. Flare Blitz is a super powerful STAB move. The recoil may seem unattractive, but a KO is much better than a hit.

Empoleon @Shell Bell Wise Glasses
Nature: Sassy Modest
EV: 6 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Hydro Pump Agility
~ Flash Cannon Grass Knot

There's no need for more than one attacking move of the same type. Surf is great. Agility to help Empoleon outspeed many opponent who would otherwise KO you before you KO it because Empoleon is too slow. Grass Knot for those Water-types that resist both Surf and Ice Beam.

Azelf @Mind Plate Wise Glasses
Nature: Lonely
EV: 252 Sp. Attack, 6 Defense, 252 Speed
~ Psychic
~ Last Resort Flamethrower
~ Energy Ball Grass Knot / Thunderbolt
~ Nasty Plot

Azelf's high speed and attacking prowess grants it to be a very potential sweeper. Flamethrower for those strong Steel-types. Grass Knot and Thunderbolt are for additional coverage. Grass Knot works better alongside the other two moves. Thunderbolt helps against Houndoom if that's more important because Houndoom will resist all three moves.

Luxray @Muscle Band
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Rash Adamant
- Thunder Fang Spark
- Crunch
- Discharge Ice Fang
- Toxic Superpower

Thunder Fang and Spark have the same attacking power, but Spark has a higher paralyzing effect at 30% versus Thunder Fang's 10%. Ice Fang and Superpower for better coverages because Luxray can sweep with its high Attack power.

Garchomp @Muscle Band
Nature: Sassy Jolly
~ Dragon Rush Outrage / Dragon Claw
~ Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Substitute
~ Strength Swords Dance
~ Dig Earthquake

You hit the nail on the head when you said the moveset is weird because your Garchomp was slammed for having a bad one. Outrage and Dragon Claw are both much better than Dragon Rush. Outrage hits very hard, but confuses Garchomp. Of course, this may not be a problem because in-game (outside of the Battle Tower), there are not many challenges that require Garchomp to stay in play for the whole match. Fire Fang is a possible alternative to Stone Edge for those Ice-types like Abomasnow. However, honestly, there are not many pure Ice-types, nor are there many decent Ice-types that Garchomp can't outspeed and OHKO. Substitute to assist in free Swords Dance, while Substitute takes damage for you. Substitute also nullifies status moves like Will-O-Wisp that will rid Garchomp useless because Burn status cuts Garchomp's Attack power in half. Earthquake is a much stronger alternative to Dig.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

cape

[insert title here]
i see some of the moveshave to be learnt by breeding
but how can i ensure that luxray must learn ice fang and garchomp must learn fire fang after they breed?

also, will Spark do better than Discharge? cuz most of you suggest the replacement

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Well use Spark if you're running a physical Luxray.If you want to use a mixed,don't go with Discharge,but Thunderbolt.

Kays

Lati-twins <3
i see some of the moveshave to be learnt by breeding
but how can i ensure that luxray must learn ice fang and garchomp must learn fire fang after they breed?

also, will Spark do better than Discharge? cuz most of you suggest the replacement
If you breed a Pokemon that knows Ice Fang with a Luxray, it should inherit Ice Fang. Garchomp learns Fire Fang "naturally," and because you will usually pass that stage via evolution, you will need to get the move relearner to re-teach Garchomp Fire Fang. I believe you need a Heart Scale for that.

There are many Pokemon that learns Ice Fang via Level Up. A Piloswine learns it at level 28. After that, you can breed Piloswine with Luxray. Luxray must be Female and Piloswine must be male. If you don't have a Female Luxray, breed it with a Ditto and get one.

If you have extra Heart Scale items, then catch a Buizel and evolve it into Floatzel at Level 26. Then have the move relearner re-teach Floatzel Ice Fang.

Remember the trick with Ditto breeding. If you are playing HeartGold or SoulSilver, then if you breed any breed-able Pokemon with a Ditto of some nature, and that Ditto is holding an Everstone, then the baby will be the baby of the non-Ditto parent, and the baby's nature will be the same as Ditto's 100% of the time. This makes it easy to get the nature that you want. If you're playing Platinum, the baby's nature has a 50% chance of being the same as Ditto's.

Hope this helps.

cape

[insert title here]
wow... thx all of you
i think i'm gonna either fail or better not take it if there's a subject called Pokemon Studies LoL i know too little XD

i may amend the movesets as follows.

Honchkrow ;430;
- Aerial Ace
- Return
- Fly
- Night Slash
(what can i equip for ;430;? i don't want any of the Choice [inser object here] as it is inconvenient for me to choose proper moves)

Infernape ;392;
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Empoleon ;395;
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Agility
- Flash Cannon / Grass Knot

Azelf ;482;
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Luxray ;405;
- Thunder Wave
- Crunch
- Spark / Thunderbolt
- Ice Fang

Garchomp ;445;
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

though i'm gonna make such changes in a few days (actually in a month or two) as i'm goin' to prepare for my exams and i cannot spend so much time on this :'(

Kays

Lati-twins <3
For Honchkrow, Brave Bird is way stronger than Aerial Ace.

Please don't feel bad. We all start at some point. Asking questions here and there just helps you learn faster. You can learn by yourself if you choose to. There's no shame in admitting that you need help. Most people are willing to help if you are willing to learn and take our advice and wisdom.

Another lesson when choosing moves. You want good coverage, as well as strong moves. Let's take Luxray for example. (Yes, click on that link.) Scroll all the way to the bottom. There are the stats for Luxray. This is the Base Stats that you see:

Base Stats 80 120 79 95 79 70

Luxray's 120 Attack power is higher than his 95 Special Attack power. This suggests that you should start and focus on physical moves. Based on what you have said, I'm sure that you know how to read this. Next part, on the same site, there are list of moves. Each section has a column labeled "Cat." which stands for Category.

physical.png
= physical move
special.png
= special move

Now, just to get you started in choosing decent movesets, let's start with coming up with a strategy for that. First, go through the moves on that site and list some STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) moves. These are moves that get a 50% power boost because they are the same type as your Pokemon. For example, Luxray is an Electric-type. Therefore, any Electric-type move will get a 50% boost. Starting with the physical department, there's Spark, and Thunder Fang for STAB. Look at the power and accuracy. They both are the same, but it turns out that Spark has a better effect, which is a 30% paralysis.

After that, you look at type coverage. These types are always useful offensively: Dragon, Ground, Ice, Fire, and Fighting.

So let's start with Dragon. List all Dragon-type moves that the Pokemon knows. Then proceed with Ground, Ice, Fire, and Fighting. You can do this in any order you want.

Luxray's movepool is shallow. So the only moves in those categories are Ice Fang and Superpower. Add those. Then for the last move, it's a filler (usually a stat-boosting move). But Luxray doesn't have one. So use Crunch because it is strong. It's not like you have many options with Luxray. You may also look at Iron Tail, Return, Giga Impact, Strength, and Night Slash (if you're playing HGSS). Giga Impact is a NO because it's a 2-turn move. So the 150 base power may as well be 75. Iron Tail is a steel-type move and that has poor coverage (only super-effective against Ice and Rock). Night Slash is a decent option if you're playing one of those two games.

Now, let's try Garchomp. It has more offensive options. Garchomp is more physical-oriented so again, start with physical STAB moves. For his Ground-typing, the option is Earthquake. Of course, Dig also, but when choosing moves, try to not choose two ATTACKING moves of the same type. So you want to pick the better option. Earthquake is better than Dig. The same reason that Brave Bird is much better than Aerial Ace on Honchkrow. For Dragon-typing, Dragon Claw, Dragon Rush, and Outrage. Dragon Rush has a bad accuracy rate at 75% and since you have two other attacks that are also strong with 100% accuracy, you can ditch Dragon Rush. The choice between Dragon Claw and Outrage is up to you. If you don't mind Outrage's confusion, then use it. If you do care, pick Dragon Claw. Now, we have two moves for Garchomp: Earthquake and Dragon Claw. As far as type coverage goes, Dragon-type attacks is resisted by only one type: Steels. Earthquake hit them for super-effective damage. So far, you have good coverage. But just for Skarmory who laughs at Earthquake, let's check if Garchomp has any Fire- or Electric-type moves. No Electric-type attacks, but it does have Fire Fang. So pick that. Again, the last move is a filler (usually a stat-boosting move). Let's see if Garchomp has one that we can fit in. Swords Dance is perfect because it boosts its physical prowess. And that wraps it up.

For coverages, you can always look by type to see if there are any special case of any Pokemon resisting a move. So you know that Dragon hits all but Steels for at least neutral damage. So look up the Pokemon of type Steel. And find any that Dragon- and Ground-types are not good against. The only candidate is Skarmory. So you try to handle that case.

This is again, just a starter guide, but it should be good enough. There are more things to consider when you compile a team than just one individual Pokemon. Other things to look at are its defenses, speed, etc. You try to guess how well your Pokemon can kill your opponent and how well it can take a hit. For Honchkrow, while it has great speed and attacking power, it has frail defenses. This means that you may want to go for high-powered moves, even at a cost of some accuracy loss. Because if you miss or use a weaker move and miss the OHKO, Honchkrow may die anyway from a powerful hit. So that's a gamble that you may as well take. Lastly, you don't always have to have a STAB move for each type, but it's not bad.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
^ that's geat advice. no offense but when I first looked at your post, I thought to myself "no way i'm gonna be reading all of that" and the OP might think the same too

Emeraldfan

It's not that much of a read, really :)

Anyway, you could replace Aerial Ace with Sucker Punch on Honchkrow, if you know how to pull it off, it completely demolishes Lucian's Alakazam...