1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pledge Moves

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by thatjeremykid, Jun 7, 2012.

1. thatjeremykid

thatjeremykid .Memento.Mori.

How competitively viable does everyone think these moves are? They have really neat effects, but so little distribution. only starters can learn them, which i think is a bit too exclusive.
    Anyways, Water + Fire Pledge doubles secondary effects for your team, essentially giving your entire team a few short turns of Serene Grace.

Water + Grass cuts your opponents team's speed in half, which can be pretty awesome.

Grass + Fire gives a few turns of residual damage to the opponent.
    What combinations of starters does serebiiforums think is the best for each of the combinations above? Discuss.

2. AlexandriaTheMixed

AlexandriaTheMixed You A Stupid Hoe.

I think they're all really nice. Water + Grass being the best. If you didn't have to do double battles, and they were put on more than just starters I think they'd be used much, much more.

3. McDanger

McDanger Well-Known Member

i dont, their base power of 55 and in doubles lengthy set ups aren`t that viable. I feel they are best for amateur level, getting your foot in the door of doubles combos, but nothing more

4. AlexandriaTheMixed

I meant the secondary effects. And if the Base Power was bumped to 80 or 100. I mean, for special moves, you think they'd hit a bit harder.

5. Blue Harvest

Blue Harvest Banned

Keep in mind on the turn the pledges "merge" their base power are doubled. Hitting one opponent with two 100 base power attacks isn't terrible, though the strategy seems very weak to Protect and Fake Out.

6. AlexandriaTheMixed

All of this is true as well. But if the opponent is lacking these moves, they better carry Dragon types. They're the only type to resist Fire, Grass, and Water types.

7. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday during a battle of mine..

Funny thing, my opponent did have a Dragon (Salamence), but Grass Pledge (from Serperior) + Water Pledge (Samurott) allowed Samurott to get off an Ice Beam before it could do anything heavy to us :B

That combo in particular is pretty sweet if you can get it off, imo.

8. Serebii!

Serebii! Well-Known Member

I do like these moves, I am hoping that more moves will combine to give extra effects in the next generation

9. AlexandriaTheMixed

They already give extra affects. Or do you mean something different?

10. McDanger

McDanger Well-Known Member

ever tho they have their power increased, they still arnt the best, like the water grass can back fire against a trick room
    plus the starters are overlooked so much because there are better pokemon that can do the same job

11. Honestly, as these moves stand right now, and with their current distribution, I'd rather just use something else.

12. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

They're interesting moves with some pretty good side effects. As for the users though, it's mostly miss considering double and triple battles.

13. coolminun

coolminun Banned

I'm still unsure about their competitiveness, but i think they have superb potential

14. ParaChomp

The moves don't double in power, they stack. If one uses Grass Pledge, they will wait for the other to use Fire Pledge. Whichever pledge has an advantage over the other will be used with its power doubled. To boot, let's say we have Blastoise and Sceptile, since Grass Pledge stacks on top of Water Pledge, Sceptile won't attack, will wait for Blastoise to use Water Pledge, and then attack with Grass Pledge (if it's still up and going).

Anyways, let's take a look at our candidates...

Grass Pledge

Venusaur: excellent overall stats, fast in the sun

Meganium: usable defences, decent speed

Sceptile: glass cannon

Torterra: poor Special Attack and Speed, solid defences, crippling weaknesses

Serperior: fast, solid defences

Fire Pledge

Charizard: powerful in the sun, mediocre defences, crippling weaknesses

Typhlosion: mediocre defences

Blaziken: Uber

Infernape: glass cannon

Emboar: pitiful defences and speed

Water Pledge

Blastoise: usable defences

Feraligatr: usable defences, poor Special Attack

Swampert: usable defences

Empoleon: usable defences

Samurott: poor defences

If I were forced to use a pledge combination, it would be Venusaur and Charizard in the sun but it would be extremely tricky with all the required predictions.

15. thatjeremykid

i was thinking venusaur and charizard in the sun would be the best as well, only thing being that they hit so hard in the sun that the residual damage wouldn't even matter. of the 3 combined effects, i think the Grass+Water might have the best effect, though i do agree it can backfire hard against TR. But TR teams are completely obvious in team preview

16. AlexandriaTheMixed

And the fact TR teams aren't very prominent is another factor.

I think that the Venasaur + Charizard idea is fantastic. ScarfChar with a Modest nature and Solar Power would wreck teams, with a base 250/300/338 (STAB+Sun+Solar Power I dunno how it's calculated, off the base or off the current number) move coming from 328 Special attack, after just being hit by base 150 power move. (Venasaurs.)

17. ParaChomp

facepalm

Like I said before, it stacks due to the one with the pledge that has the advantage over the other waiting for the other to double the power of its attack and then finally attacking.

18. thatjeremykid

i have the Venusaur, if i found a dw Charizard i'd be pumped

19. ParaChomp

I have one with max Special Attack and Speed. I also have a Drought Ninetales. Down for a Tag Battle, partner?

20. Soperman

Soperman The One and Only

The problem with these Pledge moves is that it takes up a move slot, which sucks. Also, it isn't easy to set it up, and most of the pokemon who learn those attacks are mediocre at best. It's purely for doubles, but it's more of a gimmick than anything else.