• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plot Discussion Thread(Villain Team, Rivals, Pacing etc.)

Grey Wind

Aaah I should've noticed that. Galar means disease in both Irish and Scottish-Gaelic btw, so it fits.

Good spot - perhaps even a pollution theme, given the industrial elements? The villains could be Poison-wielding punks.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Maybe not specifically for the villains, but I could see pollution and industry vs nature being a big theme (although they sort of did that with BW).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Even without the (possibly coincidental) region name it wouldn't completely surprise me to see something about industrialization. Pokemon often has NPCs that make little mentions about being environmentally conscious, and the quick little cuts of machinery we saw could be a hint of what's coming.

Baggie_Saiyan

Hope we ditch evil teams or do something different with them, it is played out after 7 gens. S&M did a little spin on it but not enough imo.
Evil grunts act as filler/training so I get that but at this point ready for different things. I am sure they can come up with some alternative.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Hope we ditch evil teams or do something different with them, it is played out after 7 gens. S&M did a little spin on it but not enough imo.
Evil grunts act as filler/training so I get that but at this point ready for different things. I am sure they can come up with some alternative.
Maybe we could go back in time during a war or something. That would be pretty interesting

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Would like see just ONE main Villain, think I saw a mention of Guile Hideout?

Like, there can be “bad” people in the game. Have some different factions in different areas, battling them/taking them down could be a sort of mini quest/side quest; something to give the game longevity, different things to do.

The main villain could just be a skillful trainer bent on being #1 at any cost, or dooming the world, or something. No ties to any faction. They don’t even have to be evil. Could be they wanted to awaken/revive a legendary Pokémon for motives outside of personal gain, and seeing how it goes when NPC’s not named N (or Ghetsis) control legendaries or try to....

I know I don’t want want another Hau, as far as “rivals” go. I don’t mind the rival having fun. But I need them to actually rival me in skill, at least somewhat. Last NPC to do that was Cheren. Let them talk a little trash; give them dialogue that makes me think “that’s my rival”.

Honestly just looking for a little formula change. The content that 6 and 7 provided, in regards to this topic, was horrible.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I prefer multiple villain factions all vying for power from one another, kind of like War of the Roses except with less bloodshed and more grunts.

Dragon Pulse

I don't really want an evil organization this time round. Hopefully the main antagonist can just be one person alone.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Colonization would be the best theme for the Villain Team in a UK-based region. You can see the members, or outsiders like civilians such as your rival, trying to recruit for their colony and rule the Pokémon world. For their benefit, they can scam people whom they recruited to donate their Pokémon and go on to duel the legendaries in the process.

You can potentially meet with them when your rival encounters with the organization first, is deceived, and invites you to peek inside the organization. You both join until you see the other face of the team. Maybe, they can sponsor(?) you to join the Battle Arena as we've seen in the trailer and gain your trust as a skilled Pokémon trainer.

NeoDude-5000

Hopefully the evil team is the UK government trying to overthrow the Royal family and still trying to make Brexit a thing, and we should shut them up.

Reactions: D*N

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I hope for a villain team that is all about industrialization and progress. Things that are kind of good for technological evolution that if misused can exploit nature/ the land and cause misfortune.

A villain team that makes you think about things (Is what they are doing inherently evil?) and actually sticks with that. (Unlike Team Plasma who were hypocrites.)

Unlike with most past villain teams, their plan has nothing to do with the mascot legendary in any shape or form and instead their actions piss it off when the things they do damages the land. (Think the Once ler from the Lorax books or the cartoon. Think our villain like that guy.)

That is what you the player are trying to do, stop them from crossing a point of no return that would forever scar the land. In addition, you meet the mascot legendary on a regular basis and make a bond with it. (Like with Nebby or like how BW's plot involved Reshiram and Zekrom.)

I'm just gonna put this possibility out there, in case I happen to be right: you're gonna have to awaken a sleeping legend (the titular sword/shield) and use it to slay a dragon. Arthurian stuff. I have more ideas which mostly kinda depend on just how hard they'd lean into the theme if they do it (may share these if anyone cares lol), but. Yeah. That's what I'm going with.

DannyDark

Brexiteers or Mill/Factory owners that ignore any forms of safety or human rights as the villain team.

Or... I guess the Arthurian, knight-based theme from the game names would be a good basis.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Considering the wolf design of the logos, I'm thinking more ancient knights. Perhaps the wolves are a reference to Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of Rome raised by wolves or Skoll and Hati, the wolves that consume the sun and moon at Ragnarok.

We could also go the Arthurian route where someone is trying to claim the throne and the rightful king/queen is not willing to take it back.

Or we could go have a modern vs. ancient setting where modernization begs for the rule of the people and democracy vs. the old monarchy.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The Switch brings an opportunity to bring the Pokemon series in a darker direction than before.

The main protagonist should have a tragic backstory, having witnessed the killing of their family by the game's evil team at age 5. Thus their Pokemon journey is a pretext to get revenge on the evil team.

DSDark

Breeder
I hope to see the "villainous" team be against the industrialization. They push for the people to stop industrializing because it pushes pokemon out of their habit. These would be something that we the player could have an issue with fighting against. Finding the balance between industrialization and nature would be a great a story to tell.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The Switch brings an opportunity to bring the Pokemon series in a darker direction than before.

The main protagonist should have a tragic backstory, having witnessed the killing of their family by the game's evil team at age 5. Thus their Pokemon journey is a pretext to get revenge on the evil team.
The Switch really has nothing to do with whether the story could be darker or not.

KalosChampion

I noticed a castle like area on the map and I wonder if maybe a royal family might live there. I know that the royal family is a big part of the culture in the real life UK, and I think it would be fun to encounter and battle some royalty during the games.

shadowF

I really want the rival not to be the opposite gender of the main character. X and Y did that and it was so bland and boring, here's hoping we get something like the earlier days of Gen 1 and Gen 2.