• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plot Discussion Thread(Villain Team, Rivals, Pacing etc.)

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Here's my pitch for the evil team/plot.

Team Royal.

A group who trace thier ancestory to the original champions and rulers of the region. Their goal is to regain control of the region after the citizens rose up against them after a terrible war 3000 years ago. They plan to gather the strongest Pokemon, including certain ancient legendary Pokemon who once served the royal family.

You don’t have to listen to me on this one, but I personally think that SWSH won’t base their evil team on real-life British things. Skull and Aether aren’t related to Hawaii, Flare isn’t related to France, Plasma isn’t related to the USA, etc., and I just think trying to bring real life issues like British politics would just feel out of place in a Pokemon game.

I think the team will be based on the region’s current situation, rather than its real life counterpart situation. Alola frequently has Ultra Wormholes appear or open, and Aether existed to study them, while Skull was full of people who had failed their trials and had nowhere else to go. Kalos still had scars from a war long ago, and Lysandre didn’t want to see war break out again. Unova is a very urban, battle-based Region with multiple types of tournaments across both Unova entries, and Plasma originally existed to challenge this. (Later on they were just run by a man driven crazy.) We can keep going back and look at the rest of the regions too - Hoenn suffered frequently from natural disasters, and one of the two teams in those games tries to put a stop to that based on their own ideas and morals. Kanto also has remnants of war, and a mafia group could easily take advantage of a region in such a state (and Johto was just their next target). Sinnoh is a very religious region, so it makes sense that a lonely man would look to his gods to try and make his goal a reality.

Thus, I think SWSH’s evil team will be based on the region’s lore and/or current situation. Considering we’ve already had emphasis on technology and industrial feats, we may have a team based around those. I don’t think they’ll go all “save the earth” on us - it’s oddly reminiscent of Team Magma - but I think it’s possible they’re trying to further technological advances using the legendaries. Maybe a new piece of info later down the line will change my mind, but for now this is the best idea I’ve got.

sooterkin

For the Evil team i'd like to see Morganna type leader and a Mordread rival. Maybe even have all the knights or similar characters be admins. I just hope they're competent in the story as well as battle like team Plasma were.

Also hope they use only new pokemon for the grunts so the threats feel new and tense.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
You don’t have to listen to me on this one, but I personally think that SWSH won’t base their evil team on real-life British things. Skull and Aether aren’t related to Hawaii, Flare isn’t related to France, Plasma isn’t related to the USA, etc., and I just think trying to bring real life issues like British politics would just feel out of place in a Pokemon game.

Team Flare was based on creating the beautiful world Lysandre desired, which matches with the beauty theme of France. Aether existed to protect the Pokémon harmed by people or habitat, which was a nod to the common, deadly, eruptions of Hawaii. And for the similar reasons; urbanization, heavy industrialization or class disparity are among the plausible subjects to be considered for a region inspired by UK.

Politics, or religion in a general manner, isn't and shouldn't be an inspiration as a theme to create Poké characters so, anyone you see mentioning 'Pokémon Brexit' is just joking.

sooterkin

Team Flare was based on creating the beautiful world Lysandre desired, which matches with the beauty theme of France. Aether existed to protect the Pokémon harmed by people or habitat, which was a nod to the common, deadly, eruptions of Hawaii. And for the similar reasons; urbanization, heavy industrialization or class disparity are among the plausible subjects to be considered for a region inspired by UK.

Politics, or religion in a general manner, isn't and shouldn't be an inspiration as a theme to create Poké characters so, anyone you see mentioning 'Pokémon Brexit' is just joking.

Well maybe the pokemon leauge promised the Pokecentre 10000 pokedollars and the Nurse Joys lead a strike :) that be a cool evil team. JK

shadowF

I really like what Gamexplain said in that our rival might a high class snobby rich kid since it is likely that the big house with the small Pokemon arena next to where we live is probably the rival's house. Since Gamefreak went out of their way to make Trace nice then I can see the rival being not as snobby but maybe just a very high class rich kid?

Ngl I would like to see a class system-type thing. We have the Rich Boy/Girl class of trainers already, we can just focus on that a little more in this game. Class systems make for interesting stories, after all.

Gargoss

Hotshot
That being said, there's a large hole where Wales would have gone in the top-right corner of the region - hopefully Game Freak will at least acknowledge the fact, and put Whales in its place! (Since Wailmer and Wailord are mostly confirmed for the Pokédex)

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Does anyone else think about the fact that the main three cities are essentially castle towns with fortified walls? I can't help but wonder if the three cities will each have their own House, or faction if you will. Perhaps the trainers with house emblems on their jackets are connected to different houses of these castle towns.

And, perhaps class disparity comes to a head with these different houses clashing. The modern city obviously would be the richest, with the industrial city forever relegated to a distant second (perhaps this causes a bitter rivalry between the two). The dragon city seems to evoke a feeling of deep heritage and legacy, evidenced by the antiquated battle arena below the dragon tower, which contrasts with the modern battle arenas seen elsewhere. This dragon city might have an entirely different approach than the other two, instead focusing on principles and ideals.

What's interesting to me is how ideas in the gaming industry can sometimes manifest at the same time, similarly to how Hollywood sometimes release movies of the same idea in pairs (The Illusionist and The Prestige). For instance, Sun/Moon and Final Fantasy XV both had "vacationing" overall themes, and were released in the same year. It's possible that Fire Emblem: Three Houses and SWSH could both utilize ideas of house factions in their games this year. Interestingly, FE: Three Houses also has a European aesthetic.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Team Skull up there as one of the best villains in Pokemon considering they aren't another group of people trying to control a legendary for some big scheme. And they still ended up with one of the best villain leaders in the series! So I hope the next villainous team doesn't tread the same path as the evil teams from Gens III - VI.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Team Skull up there as one of the best villains in Pokemon considering they aren't another group of people trying to control a legendary for some big scheme. And they still ended up with one of the best villain leaders in the series! So I hope the next villainous team doesn't tread the same path as the evil teams from Gens III - VI.

Industrialists that really do think what they are doing is for the betterment of man kind... their leader included.

But like all industrialists, they get blinded by a desire for progress and greed... doing things kind of like this.

Where they cause so much harm that it becomes clear they are villains.

That is where you the player come in to stop them... when their actions tick off a legendary (Rather than involve a legendary directly... think it like Necrozma's plot in USUM.) and go after them RIGHT when things fall apart on them and their leader blames you for it.

It is the UK and it is a heavily industrialized place in the world... so it is possible.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I am hoping for a story that one ups the Unova and Alola games, maybe a story that only ends in the post game.

maybe you can run into the villain team early on, and they don't disband until late in the post game

Maybe we can have an antagonistic rival as the main rival and a friendly rival as a secondary rival (preferably the character you don't to choose to play as).

All in all I am hoping for a slow to semi-slow pacing

DannyDark

Huh, I found Team Skull to be very meh. Like.. they lacked any direction, and any real threat. Hell, Guzma came across as borderline pathetic honestly; a washed-up wannabe Captain that acts and dresses like a teenager.

And the Aether Paradise were just a way too obviously a case of appearing as a good team but ending up being the big baddies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Huh, I found Team Skull to be very meh. Like.. they lacked any direction, and any real threat. Hell, Guzma came across as borderline pathetic honestly; a washed-up wannabe Captain that acts and dresses like a teenager.

And the Aether Paradise were just a way too obviously a case of appearing as a good team but ending up being the big baddies.
That’s the point Team Skull are supposed to be a bunch of idiots lol

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I hope its not a team this time but a single character acting on his own.

Acer11

This has nothing to do with Sword & Shield, but I find that each of the main antagonistic villains in the core series correspond to a color:

Maxie (Team Magma): Red
Lysandre (Team Flare): Orange
Lusamine (Aether): Yellow
Ghetsis (Team Plasma): Green
Archie (Team Aqua): Blue
Cyrus (Team Galactic): Indigo
Guzma (Team Skull): Purple/White
Giovanni (Team Rocket): Black

Ultra Beast Lover

This has nothing to do with Sword & Shield, but I find that each of the main antagonistic villains in the core series correspond to a color:

Maxie (Team Magma): Red
Lysandre (Team Flare): Orange
Lusamine (Aether): Yellow
Ghetsis (Team Plasma): Green
Archie (Team Aqua): Blue
Cyrus (Team Galactic): Indigo
Guzma (Team Skull): Purple/White
Giovanni (Team Rocket): Black
That was how we figured out Lysandre was evil so fingers crossed they decide to give the team leader an outfit that doesn't scream, "I'm the villain"