• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plot Holes in the Anime

Star Dust

live let live.
Yeah, plot holes. What remains unexplained and left alone. Things that don't make sense. Like where Ash's dad went and why JJ blast off. And please don't respond with the traditional "ItS ah Tee Veh Show. Leve et alon e." Go somewhere else. Possible reasons for this and why they just left these stones unturned. Discuss whatever.

High Commander Solomon

This is MADNESS!
Meet Conceptchy, the new mon that helps me illustrate points.

Conceptchy: *attempts to walk five steps in the Pokemon anime in any given direction, only to fall into a bottomless plothole*

Sprock

the GS ball was the biggest one I can think of, though it was more of a plot device than anything.

Rave

Banned
Plotholes like AJ in the beginning. Gazelle and Joe from that school. Basically alot of the semi important people that have never been heard from again. Whatever happened to them?

Heracross

Custom User Title
How about the moon stone being completely intact in the Battle Frontier despite being blown to dust in episode 6. Also in the Battle Frontier, the rooftop mansion where insomniacs congregated suddenly being inhabited by a little girl with no explanation. And cycling road transforming from a huge bridge to an elevated path through the generic forest of doom.

Hell, pretty much the Entire Battle frontier is a blatant contradiction of past events with Satoshi and Takeshi completely oblivious to it all, as though they've never even been to Kanto before.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
It seems like James has been to every region that has been and ever will be, has a mansion there, and a box filled with Pokemon that he just abandoned there ten years or so ago. Makes you wonder why he only had Koffing, or why he didn't go back into his reserves anytime afterwards. Just how did these people earn their money? It seems like they own half the planet.

There's been so many contradictions to Team Rocket's past I don't know what to believe.

They never explained Brock's fallout with Ivy. He just recovered.

The whole Santa Claus/Christmas thing is just confusing.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
yeah its like so many people in the anime that ash rescues and say: "one day, i'll be a pokemon trainer like you are and we can battle!" what happened to them? its not like i want every single one those people to come back (and form an ash ank pikachu fanclub...), but ash is completely devoid of any recollection

Last edited:

Star Dust

live let live.
yeah its like so many people in the anime that ash rescues and say: "one day, i'll be a pokemon trainer like you are and we can battle!" what happened to them? its not like i want every single one those people to come back (and form an ash ank pikachu fanclub...), but ash is completely devoid of any recollection

Time doesn't pass in the pokemon world. So technically, they haven't done anything since Ash left. Very confusing indeed.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Unless it's the opening credits of Legend of Thunder, with the Cyndaquil evo sequence and beating Nidoking. But that's a pocket of time existing outside even the special itself, and was on fast forward anyway.

I suppose the Nidoking's owner could be considered a plot hole, given who he is in the games and who he's likely related to.

But speaking of offspring! How about Oak's timeline in movie 4? Since he was 10 40 years ago, he'd be just over 50 now. Which would mean he became a grandfather at around 40, possibly younger if Gary's aged at all. Which would mean both him and his own child would have had to have reproduced quite young (not impossibly young, but late teens). And toss in that Gary may or may not have an older sister, and that Oak may be the same age as Agatha, who's shown to basically be older than dirt...just figuring out Oak is enough to make your head explode.

beast2025

I always assumed the refrences to Ash's Father were dub only and that he does not know his father...

How about Jame's grass type evolving without a leafstone but Brock's Ludicolo needing to steal a waterstone to evolve...

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
How about the moon stone being completely intact in the Battle Frontier despite being blown to dust in episode 6.
The Clefairy and ‘Fable have a warehouse chock full of them out back. In fact, the reason they dance around and pray to the Moon Stone in the first place is due to how much moolah they rake in from shifting the otherwise useless rocks that have been hyped up by urban legends peddled by gullible fools over recent years..

Also in the Battle Frontier, the rooftop mansion where insomniacs congregated suddenly being inhabited by a little girl with no explanation.
They were actually a band of thieves, and the insomnia tale was just a shoddy cover story for the compilation of wrong-doings. The Hypno and Drowzee were merely pawns in their nefarious scheme, keeping the police busy with the multitude of missing children and unwell pokémon. As for why they were so exquisitely dressed? Well, if you broke into some rich family’s mansion with cupboards lined with stuff like that, I’m sure you’d be tempted to try on a few for yourself.

And cycling road transforming from a huge bridge to an elevated path through the generic forest of doom.
Generic Forests of Woe are better for the pokémon world's economy, and thus entire rivers and lakes are often filled in to make way for the average trainers lust for travelling hi-jinks in secluded woodlands. The Cycling Road was just another victim of a blind society that doesn't seem to realise that fish pokémon can't battle on land.

The Battle Frontier Saga; Makes perfect sense. Leaves fans puzzled.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
...I don't think it's much of a mystery as to why there are plot holes.

It's just lazy writing. 'Nuff said.

As for actual ones to list, people here have pretty much stated the ones that sprang to my mind first. ...Um, didn't Brock receive a Heavy Ball (I think it was) from Kurt, but he never used it? I could be wrong here since I haven't seen many Johto episodes for years now.