• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plushie Tutorial

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Plushie Tutorial:

For simple pokemon fan art plushies

In my life-sized pokemon plushie thread, it was suggested that I make a tutorial, so here it is, if it’s good enough that the mods want to sticky it for other’s reference that’s fine. If not I hope it helps someone.

1) Gather info (design/size) and materials.

Materials you will need:
*Felt in the necessary colors (or other fabric, felt needs less sewing in some cases, such as hoppip’s leaves)
*needles and pins
*ordinary thread and embroidery thread
*paper for sketch and/or pattern (newsprint is good)
*pencil
*scissors
*ruler and/or tape measure
*chalk (to draw on fabric)
*eyes (may be buttons, googly eyes, sequins, or more fabric)
*pipe cleaners or wire (if doing leaves, long legs or antenna)
*stuffing (may be polyfill [best], cotton, rice, sand, fabric scraps, or paper scraps)

2) Make your sketch and patterns on large sheets of newsprint.

The Sketch: If you draw well you may just wish to make a line the height of the desired pokemon on the paper and then sketch it to height. If you don’t draw well you may wish to use the grid method. Simply make a small grid over the image you wish to enlarge. Then make a large grid and fill in each space with the lines you see on the small grid.

It’s best to use pencil; I use markers after the first sketch so that it shows up on the camera.

tutor_image_01.jpg

The Pattern: After the sketch I generally just draw the needed shapes on the felt with chalk and cut out the felt. This however is not recommended so here’s some information on cutting out paper patterns to make sure you have the shapes right first. For the body or head of a round plushie measure half the outside circle and then make football shapes that tall. Depending on how skinny or fat your ‘footballs’ are you will need 3-5 of them. For an oval, draw a curved inseam on your sketch and use that to decide the height of the pieces, they will look more like basketballs that have gone flat on one side. You will need 4 ‘flat basketballs’ for an oval. Most other pieces can be cut from basic or simple shapes; hoppip or jigglypuff’s ear for example can be 3 large triangle of red-pink and one small triangle of black. And oddish’s foot can be made from an oval and two half ovals (the half ovals should be as tall as half the outside line of the original oval is long. These pieces should be slightly larger than actual size to account for seams. Leaves should be cut extra wide, I’ll explain this later.

tutor_image_02.jpg

3) Using the chalk draw outlines of the patterns on your fabric and cut out the pieces. You may find that you didn’t have as much fabric as you thought, in which case you’ll need to put the plushie on hold until you can go get more.

4) Sew any main pieces of the face together; remember to sew from the inside (that is the pieces should be inside-out so that the seams don’t show). You can pin seams together as needed, but make sure you remove all pins before sewing the final seam.

[One exception to sewing from the inside is if you use only embroidery thread. If using embroidery thread you can sew inside-in to create a more crafted looking plushie, this is also easier than regular sewing]

5) Add face details, sew in a mouth with embroidery thread, sew or glue on the eyes, ect.

6) Sew rest of body/head seam except for 1 seam, this will be the last seam you sew. You will need it open to hide the knots from attaching any attachment parts like ears and to stuff the plushie. This final seam should be on the back or bottom of your plushie and must be big enough to pull the whole plushie (un-stuffed) through.

A few attachment pieces may be right at seam and can be sewn on in this step. Remember to sew them together and stuff them first. (Remember to sew inside-out)

7) Sew together, stuff, and attach any attachments not sewn on in step 6. Make sure to sew the attachments to the outside, but knot the threads on the inside. (Remember to sew inside-out)

Leaves, My Method: Leaves should be made wider than life-size. Pinch the fabric in the center of the leaf around a pipe cleaner or other wire and sew it in place with embroidery thread. This will create slightly crinkled standing leaves that you can adjust the position of.

tutor_image_03.jpg

oddish_fullveiw_01.png

8) Turn body and head inside-in. Make sure all pieces are attached and sewn on the way you like. If they are not, cut the threads and reattach them as in step 7. Make sure to remove any pins. When you are satisfied, stuff your plushie through the final seam. Then sew this seam closed (Inside-in of course, which is why we left it on the back or bottom in step 6.)

Do not worry if your first few plushies comes out misshapen or smaller than expected. It just takes some practice.
___

Patterns:
Voltrob

Last edited:

Kay

Ka-boom
That's for making a tutorial. I'll try this sometime.

dudemanbobjoe43

The P!nk Soldier!
cute! =) I like it but it'll be hard for me to make

Zee-V70

I just want to say thanks to all of you... and that I am open to answering questions about making plushies so don't be afraid to ask.

Ooh... this is going to be fun. But one question. I'm trying to do something simple, and one I like, so I chose Rotomu. But for the "plasma outline," do I just make it a flat outline, or what?

Zee-V70

Plasma and gas is hard to call, for this case I would make a flat outline and sew the front and back to it so it's in the middle. I'd like to see it when you're done too...

Okay. I figured it was going to be in the middle; but I just wanted to make sure.

Zee-V70

._. Quit spamming the place up; are you TRYING to get banned?

EDIT: Man, Rotomu is a bit of a pain to make. I have to do that "cone" thing on top, but designing the Plasma was actually pretty easy. But--if you've got something an an outline (Gastly, Rotomu, anything similar to that), make the acutal body the official size. The outline will make them bigger, and they still seem normal. Gastly is the easiest to test with this because it's just a faint purple glow, and a ball. Oh, and if you're still making them, how about trying to acutally incorporate a zipper into Banette, or making a Banette bag? XD

Last edited:

berty106

i renember seeing your surskit one, they are SO good!
when i have some free time, i may just take up your tutorial as a project ^_^
could do matching pirate clothes for them =p
roughly what size are you working with?

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
how about trying to acutally incorporate a zipper into Banette, or making a Banette bag? XD
That is an awesome idea. I want to try that (eventually).
First, I have other plans (beginning with something small and simple (Hoppip, maybe?), then a little more complex, like Charmander, then trying something bigger (see below)

I'm stuck at the "convincing my mom to let me waste my money on material to make a life-sized Pokémon plushie" stage.

I've been making them lifesize, so they match whatever the height of the actural pokemon is.
I'd love to see something bigger, but I can see it getting really hard. The bigger Pokémon tend to have more complex designs.
I'd kill to see a life-size Onix or Snorlax.

Hypothetically, I'd make a Charizard's wings thike this:
The outer orange (or black, for Shiny) rim would be a tube shape, stuffed and with a wire lining it to make them hold their positions. The rest of the wings would be sewed into te seam of the rim, and would be simply a two-layered sheet of fabric-- a layer of orange (or black) for the back, and a layer of blue (or red) for the front.

What do you think?
I want to design a template, to show my parents that I'm going to actually do a decent job, rather than wasting the money to create a gigantic piece of garbage.
-----------------
EDIT: I may be setting my sights a little high, but since it would be so great to have around, I think I should go ahead and try anyway.

Last edited:

AerialAce!

Inconceivable!
My suggestion is to start small and work your way up

...those wings woulkd need intense wires in them

-Agreed.

-Also agreed--thanks for the advice.

Good thing I have intense wires. I have a big coil intended for making chainmaille links, and some electric fence wire. I'll probably have to use the armor-wire. It's posable enough when not formed into tiny rings, but (I think) tough enough to hold the weight (galvanized steel). If not, I'll try to find something else that'll work.

EDIT: If necessary, I'll twist three of those wires together to give it extra strength, but it's heavy-duty stuff so I may not need to.

That is, IF my project ever gets past the starting line.

Last edited:

Zee-V70

-Agreed.

-Also agreed--thanks for the advice.

Good thing I have intense wires. I have a big coil intended for making chainmaille links, and some electric fence wire. I'll probably have to use the armor-wire. It's posable enough when not formed into tiny rings, but (I think) tough enough to hold the weight (galvanized steel). If not, I'll try to find something else that'll work.

EDIT: If necessary, I'll twist three of those wires together to give it extra strength, but it's heavy-duty stuff so I may not need to.

That is, IF my project ever gets past the starting line.

I lol'd irl. In a good way.

"Hey mom, where's the armor wire? I'm making a Pokemon!"
XD

Eh, Rotom's done. It was suprisingly easy, and it was really fun to make the surrounding Plasma. I made it look like it was holding Energy Swords! XD

Dudette101

Feel the heat~!
^_^ I love this tutorial!
I'm gonna make a Rioru!
Are there any pointers for making a Rioru?