• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plushie Tutorial

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
... well... thanks for adding your thoughts. Keeping away from frabrics that fray or are transparent is definatly important... but it's rather easy to make pokemon plushies from those 'notebook' sized bit of felt, cause you have to cut out a pattern anyways, and the indvidual peices are ussually smaller than that... I've made several lifesized pokemon from felt like that without any strange or out of place seams. And I don't think I'd recommend faux fur for beginers, it's forgiving of mistakes, but kind of hard to work with.

Also, I'd definatly recommend wire over dowels almost every time...

Abidon

^that's true. It is hard to work with, though it also one of my favorate materials.I ment it more or less to help out with designs,such as making the puffy parts of Eevee's chest or the mane of a ponyta or the flame part of a charmander. Wire works better then dowels, but I was just mentioning the dowels since I actually learned what they would call. I know it's easy to make pokemon out of felt-I just don't like the fact that I half to buy so many sheets. My dolls,when I do make them, tend to be on the larger side so I find buying yards of fleece or felt more convenient then those notebook sized sheets-particularly because larger dolls are usually easier to make for some reason. I think it has to do with the larger seam allowance.

Last edited:

Irukapooka

Sunshine
^that's true. It is hard to work with, though it also one of my favorate materials.I ment it more or less to help out with designs,such as making the puffy parts of Eevee's chest or the mane of a ponyta or the flame part of a charmander. Wire works better then dowels, but I was just mentioning the dowels since I actually learned what they would call. I know it's easy to make pokemon out of felt-I just don't like the fact that I half to buy so many sheets. My dolls,when I do make them, tend to be on the larger side so I find buying yards of fleece or felt more convenient then those notebook sized sheets-particularly because larger dolls are usually easier to make for some reason. I think it has to do with the larger seam allowance.

Abidon, do you know if making plushies would be easier than crocheting them? From what I have studied, it seems a lot more easier than crocheting...Man, I really want to make a plushie but I need to finish my pikachu baby blanket that I have been working on first.

Abidon

^I've never crochet, but by what i've seen sewing plushies can be easier or harder based on the pattern. I think a 3 piece oddish plushie is probably easier then crochetting something like Mewtwo or Bunnerry witch would likely have very inconsistent patterns, but crocheting a voltorb or something else with a very consistent pattern is probably easier then making a plushie Bunnerry or Geodude do to the odd angles/random puffyness. It really seams to be what your used to and the particular pattern your using for the project.

Irukapooka

Sunshine
Okay. :) Thank you for replying.

What pokemon do you think would be easiest to make for a first plushie? Please give me a few options of what pokemon you think would be best.

This is a question for everyone to answer.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Iruka: Use the search function, there's multiple lists of easy start pokemon...

Kyroid: Lol... yeah... sure... no... but if you find a plushie pattern for something similar, say, eevee or vulpix you can go from there.

Irukapooka

Sunshine
This site is so slow for me that I would rather get an answer quickly from someone other than spending an hour going thru one or two pages. :p I don't know why this place is so slow...but that's alright. I can just google all the pokemon and look at each one to determine if they would be easy to make or not. Thanks anyways though.

Abidon

The easiest ones to make are the ones that have the simplest patterns, such as ones that are just circles, or taking someone else patterns and altering them to fit with a pokemon. For example, i've seen people put up hedgehog patterns that would have made a great shymin with just a change of fabric color and I've seen a lot of different dog and cat patterns that would make great starts for the different dog and cat pokemon. I don't know if i'm allowed to link to any of those patterns though.

Last edited:

JunJun

Here are some pictures of the Pokémon plushies I've made. Both are handsewn and made primarily of velour. If you have any questions about how I made them, just ask! :)

Carmen the Flareon
Flareon.jpg

Minou the Rattata
Rattata.jpg

Umbreon Girl

born from shadows
I'm going to be making an Umbreon Poke Plushie, so I was wondering if there where some tips for me, cus I've sewn dresses, and patched up stuffed animals, but I would like to know if there are tips for the head (the one part I mess up on most)

any tips are apreciated.

JunJun

I'm going to be making an Umbreon Poke Plushie, so I was wondering if there where some tips for me, cus I've sewn dresses, and patched up stuffed animals, but I would like to know if there are tips for the head (the one part I mess up on most)

any tips are apreciated.

Do you still need help with making the head? I make heads like this, if it is of any help.
plushiehead.png

(I hope you understand my sketch...)

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
That's a decent way to make heads... sorry for not responding myself... I was a little grumpy the day I saw that post... making three fat petal shapes C> and sewing them together from the pointed end to the rounded end, is another way, and pretty simple if you understood what I was suggesting...

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I would have to work my way up first, but I would LOVE to make a lifesized Hitmonchan. I have a question, though:

Should I make his clothes seperate? Like, should I make his 'body' first, and then make his clothes? What of his mitts? What of his shoes? Is there any sort of wiring I could use to support his cute little arms and legs?

Or in the case of Hitmontop, something to make his horn/spike/whatever a little more rigid, as it would be if he were real? (I'd like to have Hitmontop, too, since I think they're the cutest little things ever. I see 'em, and I just wanna squeeze 'em! ^_^)

Also, do you have any pointers on making PEOPLE from the animé? (I'd LOVE to make the Invincible Brothers, since I love the hell out of them...all three of them be my bishies...Kai just wins out over the other two) I wouldn't make THEM lifesize (since Kail is freakin' tall...plus, it would likely weird my visitors out to see three life-sized plushies of young men in my living room...sitting on my couch.) I'd likely make them the size of my Mew plushie. (she's life sized, so you have a scale idea.)

I sew somewhat often, but it's mostly clothes repair and tailoring.

~Nemmeh ;107;

katkat

InsertDramaticMusic
Are there any tips on making a star shaped plushie? I have an idea, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Um, well you could cut the fabric in a star shape, or use several triangles/dimonds to form it... To keep it uniform, patterns for both 5 and 6 pointed stars can be cut by folding paper and making a single cut, then unfolding it to reveal the star... If your star is small you may want to fill each leg as you go, rather than trying to fill the whole star at once.

Minerva Paradizo

Pokemon Breeder
Hey guys! I've been reading this thread for some time, and I finally decided to post something! Oh, does anyone know how to make a Kirlia or a Gardevoir plushie? They are my FAVORITE pokemon, and I just made (for my first plushie) a Ralts (I'll try to get a pic up). Thanks~!

Minerva Paradizo

Pokemon Breeder
Oh, and if you want an easy starter, do a Ditto. I mean, really, it's a Ditto. How hard can it be?! It's a blob.

Last edited: