• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PM2019's Upcoming Episodes Q1 2021 Preview

Red and Blue

Why are some of you so exited for Grookey? Just curious
Cause some people are fans of it. Personally it's my second favorite Galar starter behind Scorbunny and I like Rillaboom as well. So I think it would do well on Ash's team

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Because people like it and it took 50+ Episodes to make a proper appearance?

You might as well ask why are people so excited to see Inteleon. You'll probably get similar answers

Grookey is the most popular of its line, making it harder to justify evolution. I honestly expect it to go to Goh to replace Sobble as his walking Pokemon once it evolves into Drizzile and then into Inteleon.
Not necessarily?

They Evolved Scorbunny long before they even knew how popular Cinderace would be.
They just happened to be lucky Cinderace ended up being the most Popular of it's line or else they could've fallen into another Pignite situation lol

Mythical-Moonlight

And just hope Grookey does something besides be cute...
No doubt they're gonna play up Grookey's cute marketable factor for a quite a while but if they can finally give Sobble and G. Farfetch'd some focus/development after 20 or so Episodes then I've got no doubt in my mind that Grookey will eventually get some too even if it doesn't happen immediately.

It also took Scorbunny like 13 Episodes to get Development as well

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Gen 8 is one of the few times I wouldn’t mind Ash getting any combination of all 3 starters. I know people act like the final forms being humanoid is the worst thing to ever happen or that they don’t want Ash to get it because of some weird thing about breaking trends but Grookey is Ash’s last shot at getting one of the Galar starters.

It’s not my preferred choice (honestly my last for him) but Cinderace, arguably the most Ash like Pokémon in existence, and Sobble aren’t options so my hopes are on it. Plus Grookey has taken way too long to debut and it seems the writers have something in store for it so even if Go gets it, I can’t wait to see it.

That’s just me though.

Mythical-Moonlight

it sure looks like Ash is tapping into his BW self by making Lucario the Oshawott that actually evolved somehow but kept ignoring the rest of the team for the majority of the run.
If anything Ash's Team here feels like a weird redux of the XY era to me

-Blue Colored Ace of the Team. (Lucario/Greninja)

-Flying Type Power House (Dragonite/Talonflame)

-Fighting Type Bird Pokémon (Sirfetch'd/Hawlucha)

-Pokemon he hatched from an Egg (Riolu/Noibat)

-Pseudo Legendary (Dragonite/Goodra)

The only major differences Here being Gengar doesn't really parallel any of his XY Team and his Dragon Type isn't a Huge Jobber

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
If anything Ash's Team here feels like a weird redux of the XY era.

-Pokemon he hatched from an Egg (Riolu/Noivern)

The only major differences being Gengar doesn't really parallel any of his XY Team and Dragonite isn't a Huge Jobber
Eh tbh, can you really compare the XY team and the current JN roster. Can't really decide if Lucario is the actual ace due to the lack of high tier matches where most have been 1v1 small fry matches while Noivern and Goodra were just useless and had all of its potential thrown away due to unfortunate decisions made which for Noivern it was being a victim of "late capture syndrome" and Goodra with the outrageously fast evolutions and doing nothing notable except vs Clemont and then getting released and returning to get shafted and its gone again. And Hawlucha started declining after Valerie and Ash-Greninja's debut. While the rest especially Sirfetch'd still have potential.

Morax

King of heroes
If anything Ash's Team here feels like a weird redux of the XY era.

-Pokemon he hatched from an Egg (Riolu/Noibat)

The only major differences being Gengar doesn't really parallel any of his XY Team and Dragonite isn't a Huge Jobber
-pokemon he hatched from an Egg is the Ace of the team

-gengar doesn't parallel anybody

-caught a fully evolved mary sue dragonite as opposed to goodra who he trained from ground up
Not exactly a redux of the XY era

Master Pikachu 11

Gen 8 is one of the few times I wouldn’t mind Ash getting any combination of all 3 starters. I know people act like the final forms being humanoid is the worst thing to ever happen or that they don’t want Ash to get it because of some weird thing about breaking trends but Grookey is Ash’s last shot at getting one of the Galar starters.

It’s not my preferred choice (honestly my last for him) but Cinderace, arguably the most Ash like Pokémon in existence, and Sobble aren’t options so my hopes are on it. Plus Grookey has taken way too long to debut and it seems the writers have something in store for it so even if Go gets it, I can’t wait to see it.

That’s just me though.
Thing about Rillaboom is that unlike the other two starters they actually made it look like an actual gorilla. Yes the drum makes it a little humanoid but take the drum away and it looks like a cool Pokémon to me.

I agree it wasn’t my preferred choice either since I wanted Inteleon, but it was my second choice as well. The fact that they took this long and the writers/ staff mentioned in interviews that it was going to play a huge roll in this series, better mean that it will do something that is meaningful that made it worth the wait.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mythical-Moonlight said:
The only major differences Here being Gengar doesn't really parallel any of his XY Team and his Dragon Type isn't a Huge Jobber

For now, anyway. Satoshi hasn't faced that many strong opponents yet in this series with a few exceptions like Dande and Saito, but he didn't use Kairyu against them so we don't know how Kairyu would've fared.

BobbbidyBob

It can add another Galar mon to Ash’s growing JN roster which the latter could use more of. Admittedly I actually would rather see Go have it but at the same time, there’s nothing stopping them in having it being an Ash mon instead hence why I can’t exactly rule it out and neither should anyone else really.
Yeah you are right. Ash is kind of a monkey, it would suit him

Xuxuba

Not being a sweeper at the League =/= being a useless character.

Goodra saved the Swamp, conquered his fear, gave Ash his win against Clemont and Tierno, stalled and weakened strong opponents both in the League and the Team Flare Arc, allowing for others to finish the job.
Noivern learnt how to fly, did pretty well on the Sky racing competition showing his development, saved Ash from Zapdos and still fought hard against several opponents despite being the youngest and most inexperienced pokémon.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Not being a sweeper at the League =/= being a useless character.

Goodra saved the Swamp, conquered his fear, gave Ash his win against Clemont and Tierno, stalled and weakened strong opponents both in the League and the Team Flare Arc, allowing for others to finish the job.
Noivern learnt how to fly, did pretty well on the Sky racing competition showing his development, saved Ash from Zapdos and still fought hard against several opponents despite being the youngest and most inexperienced pokémon.
i think the problem here is that Goodra and Noivern didn't do enough. Things like saving the swamp or winning a race don't help. They were definitely not useless, just underutilized.

Xuxuba

i think the problem here is that Goodra and Noivern didn't do enough. Things like saving the swamp or winning a race don't help. They were definitely not useless, just underutilized.
They do though, cuz it shows their growth as characters.

Goodra was a scaredy cat who couldn't do anything against the bullies who stole his home and hurt his friends.
Him being able to defeat Florges and take back the Swamp shows he got over his trauma and became a much stronger pokémon.

Meanwhile, Noivern could barely fly, let alone fight. Him doing well on the Race shows he not only learned how to do it, but he became great at it and it was thanks to that skill that he was able to save Hawlucha and protect Ash from Zapdos.

When it comes to having a character arc with clear development, they certainly weren't underutilized, at least for this show's standards. You could say they were underutilized when it comes to league's fights but there are more roles a Pokémon can play in the series than just dealing the final blow. Just like in the games, a pokémon who puts pressure, stalls and weakens threats to your entire team are just as important as the sweepers and revenge killers.

Last edited:
They do though, cuz it shows their growth as characters.

Goodra was a scaredy cat who couldn't do anything against the bullies who stole his home and hurt his friends.
Him being able to defeat Florges and take back the Swamp shows he got over his trauma and became a much stronger pokémon.

Meanwhile, Noivern could barely fly, let alone fight. Him doing well on the Race shows he not only learned how to do it, but he became great at it and it was thanks to that skill that he was able to save Hawlucha and protect Ash from Zapdos.

When it comes to having a character arc with clear development, they certainly weren't underutilized, at least for this show's standards. You could say they were underutilized when it comes to league's fights but there are more roles a Pokémon can play in the series than just dealing the final blow. Just like in the games, a pokémon who puts pressure, stalls and weakens threats to your entire team are just as important as the sweepers and revenge killers.
That's how the fanbase works. Torkoal almost took out Registeel and Grotle did just as good against Rhyperior but they are still treated like trash. Goodra almost beating Florges and then saving the swamp with her help definitely shows growth but people wanted Ash's first pseudo(Gible isn't a pseudo Garchomp is) to do more. A Snorlax like situation would have been better.

On Topic: I am glad they are actually putting some thought into Farfetch'd's development. Riolu's development during the Darkest Dark arc felt forced and sometimes pointless. With Farfetch'd they are at least playing with the knight scheme. I do wonder why it is using Leaf Blade against Aegislash when it has Night Slash.

Morax

King of heroes
They do though, cuz it shows their growth as characters
I was talking about their contribution in the league specifically. I've noticed that this fandom has a tendency to determine a pokemon's value based on the amount of battles they won, so according to that distorted convention goodra and noivern are at the bottom. Totally agree with your post though.