• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PM2019's Upcoming Episodes Q1 2021 Preview

Henry's Journey

ahgjkgfhagsgoasdfgh that preview was hype!! :D Wikstrom, G-Farfecth'd, Opal, Inteleon, G-Ponyta & Rapidash, Grookey + wtf at Turtwig vs Chewtle lol and that random Dedenne.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Not being a sweeper at the League =/= being a useless character.

Goodra saved the Swamp, conquered his fear, gave Ash his win against Clemont and Tierno, stalled and weakened strong opponents both in the League and the Team Flare Arc, allowing for others to finish the job.
Noivern learnt how to fly, did pretty well on the Sky racing competition showing his development, saved Ash from Zapdos and still fought hard against several opponents despite being the youngest and most inexperienced pokémon.
I kinda find it funny how Noivern, a bird Pokémon, notable achievements include "learning to fly" :p
Really shows how wasted it's character was

Xuxuba

I kinda find it funny how Noivern, a bird Pokémon, notable achievements include "learning to fly" :p
Well, yeah, he was literally a fetus when he was first introduced, they don't usually come out of the egg knowing how to do everything perfectly (or at least they shouldn't). You also can't expect that high level of achievements so early on from a newborn, we sure didn't back when Larvitar had his arc and i don't see why we should now.

I guess we could have had a Riolu scenario where he was already a pro at everything as soon as he came out of the egg and then proceeded to become Ash's ace stealing all the screentime from his other pokémon, but that is just bad writing if you ask me.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Bats are birds now?

Well, yeah, he was literally a fetus when he was first introduced, they don't usually come out of the egg knowing how to do everything perfectly (or at least they shouldn't). You also can't expect that high level of achievements so early on from a newborn, we sure didn't back when Larvitar had his arc and i don't see why we should now.

I guess we could have had a Riolu scenario where he was already a pro at everything as soon as he came out of the egg and then proceeded to become Ash's ace stealing all the screentime from his other pokémon, but that is just bad writing if you ask me.
I don't know why people keep calling it an ace. It has hogged screentime, no doubt about that, but its achievements, as of now, aren't remarkable. Some people don't even consider Greninja as an ace.

On Topic: That Turtwig in the preview is quite bizarre. Gen 4 remakes incoming? Also Turtwig vs Chewtle, the battle of the jaw.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I think pretty much any Pokémon can fit Ash as long as the writers give af.

Ash doesn't really have a Battling "Style"

He works with whatever the writers decide to give him
Yeah fans mix together “fanon” (interpretations, headcanons, etc.) with canon all the time. Canonically any Pokémon “works” for Satoshi. The only time tanky Pokémon have been a pain is with Hayashigame in DP as a plot point to contrast Naetle’s speediness (a literal turtle Pokémon was constantly praised by Shinji, gym leaders, etc.) For the most part Satoshi got used to it and it improved and was able to win some battles.

Hell, Kabigon was slow and successful as was Cotoise was good and pretty agile (see Registeel battle). Betobeton’s weird and slimy body was crucial at the Kanto League. So if the writers want to make it a plot point they will but there’s no real canonically stated reason to think Satoshi’s “style” is only for fast Pokémon or he doesn’t excel well with them. In actuality fans like to feel like they have more agency or validity in picks for Satoshi’s team by labeling certain Pokémon “Ashmon,” “too feminine” or “not for his battle style/slow/bulky/not sweepers.”

But the writing is super subjective.

Ultra Beast Lover

I have a theory that probably won't be an actual thing but would be nice to see. Ash and friends go to Eterna City where Team Rocket pops up with Chewtle and tries to capture Pikachu. They fight for a couple minutes then suddenly a Pin Missle and Razor Leaf hits Chewtle. A Cacnea, Turtwig, and then Gardenia show up and Ash is all like, "Woah! Gardenia, hey!" And Cacnea and James are shocked to see each other. James is excited and Cacnea is happy and even hugs James but then goes back to Gardenia. We learn their history then we learn that Cacnea has actually started partaking in Gym Battles, it's actually pretty powerful. James is overjoyed to hear this and says, "That's great, your power is going to serve Team Rocket well. We can finally go on journeys together again." But Cacnea says no and reveals that it likes its new position as a Gym Pokemon, it's not constantly losing, not blasting off, everyone respects it, it's never hungry etc.,

James then explains that things are different now, they have the boss' respect, they're never hungry, and yeah they lose but it's not usually as bad as before. Cacnea is doubtful so James challenges Gardenia to a battle to prove himself. They battle for a bit, blah blah blah then Cacnea steps in and essentially says, "James, I'm happy for you and how far you've come. But I've come pretty far to. I'm happier here, even when I lose really bad I don't feel down. James, we've grown apart, I'll always miss our adventures together, I'll always remember the laughs, the tears, and the silly little schemes. Please just be happy for me, this is what I want to do." James then accepts that this is what Cacnea wants, says goodbye, then goes running, crying into the sunset as his voice over wishes Cacnea good luck, the episode then ends.

It probably won't happen but I mean we've been due for a tearjerking James episode for a while and it'd be such a nice callback.

Xuxuba

I don't know why people keep calling it an ace. It has hogged screentime, no doubt about that, but its achievements, as of now, aren't remarkable. Some people don't even consider Greninja as an ace.

On Topic: That Turtwig in the preview is quite bizarre. Gen 4 remakes incoming? Also Turtwig vs Chewtle, the battle of the jaw.
Who else would take that spot tho? Certainly not Farfetcht, Dragonite nor Gengar and Pikachu did considerably less damage than Lucario against Mewtwo.
It doesn't help that Lucario is constantly paired with Gou's ace, so to me at least its pretty clear who the writers want us to think of as an ace.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
There's a good reason why Ash never got Lucario in Sinnoh. He was too busy with Infernape as the ace to care.

Yes, Alola made the effort to give most of his captures a rival, but the series was so awful about every personal rival because it didn't give them enough spotlight (Hau being the worst offender because he just existed to give Rowlet something to do). Sunny D-roc was the real ace of the region, until the writers really wanted to sell the idea Torracat was the ace despite shying away from ALL important battles till the last two.

So far, this series only has given Pikachu a future Charizard fight (while hogging all those annoying one-minute battles) while Lucario is busy with Bea and her octopus while being forced into the "ugh why are you all a bunch of idiots? Leave me out of this because I'm cool and popular" role every other episode. What's Dragonite's role? Fighting an anti-hugger trainer?

Ultra Beast Lover

I wish they would just rotate Ash's Pokemon from the past generations. They might as well, his current ones don't do much.

I think that giving each Pokemon a rival is a great idea as it gives each Pokemon an arc that will culminate in the big finale but they have to do it early and I worry that, if they don't do it during year two, they'll never be able to do it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I wish they would just rotate Ash's Pokemon from the past generations. They might as well, his current ones don't do much.

I think that giving each Pokemon a rival is a great idea as it gives each Pokemon an arc that will culminate in the big finale but they have to do it early and I worry that, if they don't do it during year two, they'll never be able to do it.
And they'll be Hau'd.

Who else would take that spot tho? Certainly not Farfetcht, Dragonite nor Gengar and Pikachu did considerably less damage than Lucario against Mewtwo.
It doesn't help that Lucario is constantly paired with Gou's ace, so to me at least its pretty clear who the writers want us to think of as an ace.
Lucario might be getting a lot of screentime for now but that can change overtime. In DP, Turtwig started out as the 'ace' then Buizel took that spot for two gyms but we all know who the ace of DP is. AG had a similar ace situation with Swellow-Glalie-Sceptile. My point is, it is too early to call anyone an ace.

On Topic: I saw many people in the Pokemon Speculation Thread saying that Farfetch'd shouldn't win against an E4 member. With how this series is going, it isn't that bad of a decision. Galar gym leaders are being portrayed as some really powerful trainers, on par with E4 from other regions. Farfetch'd struggled a lot against Bea but she should be stronger than a regular E4 member. With all the training it will get by then, it should be able to match an E4.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's pretty obvious they want Pikachu to be the ace to take Charizard down. He has taken priority over everyone else, but is slightly being caught up by Lucario all because of Bea. They can't really expect to use Lucario as the ace since it lacks a G-Max form, unless OLM once more commissions Game Freak to give them another Ash-Greninja deal.

And if Pikachu isn't the ace but maybe Rillaboom is, they have to really put a narrative to make Leon wary of the ape, which is hard to stomach because they really want to sell G-Max Pikachu VS. G-Max Charizard (even if G-Max Chu is a slow big boned thing). Plus, this is a(n alleged) world tournament, so why let a temporary deal take the definite final battle over Pikachu?

...And, oh, Kanto Pokemon. You all know what takes priority in this saga, right.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Can't really picture anyone else usurping Lucario as the ace aside from possibly Rillaboom. Even if he gets Urshifu later on it could just be another Melmetal.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
To me, Lucario is the Sunny D-roc of this saga. Gets shoved down into important battles a lot, but it's the afterthought once it's done defeating its rival.

I did say before Sunny D-roc was the ace of Alola, but thinking about it, Pikachu was used a bit more than it did.