• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PMD starter team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAdkip

PMD starters are always important. What is your favorite starter duo? Which were your first PMD Pokemon and partner?

My very first PMD Pokemon was Mudkip. Tests systematically gave me Mudkip actually. Still use it in my current run with Charmander, as they have perfect synergy.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
My first ever starter team in Rescue was starter Machop and partner Pikachu. It was a pretty fun team and we usually took a Houndour with us on missions so he sorta acted as a 3rd party member.

In Explorers my team was starter Piplup and partner Chimchar. What an emotional rollercoaster that was... I basically saw them as a couple by the end ^^;

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I find that Pikachu + water starter works pretty well. Covers weaknesses and what not. Piplup especially since it learns flying, ice, and water type attacks!

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
In Red/Blue I chose Squirtle and Pikachu as my partner. Fast forward to PSMD; I’ve done a few combos. My favorite(s) would be Piplup and a Fire Starter (mostly Chimchar) or Bulbasaur.

Last edited:
For SMD, I did Tepig and Partner Squirtle. My favorite pokemon ever was Tepig at the time and my friend, at that time, liked Squirtle. If there is a next Mystery Dungeon (hopefully with Alola pokemon at least), I'll do Rowlet with partner Froakie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
When I took the personality quiz in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, I became a Hinoarashi (Cyndaquil) and my partner was Pikachu. I wasn't happy with that, but I was stuck like that from that point forward.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
PMD2's test usually gives me the Sassy nature if I'm honest with the questions. In Time/Darkness this means Meowth, who honestly wasn't exactly my first pick when I first got him, but I decided to stick with him and wasn't disappointed. Technician + Fury Swipes is super powerful in this game and you can tear down high-health enemies very fast with it. Unfortunately, a lot of bosses resist it (Omastar/Kabutops, Dusknoir/Sableye, Dialga, etc) and your coverage options aren't great until you start finding some good TMs. In Sky, Meowth is replaced with Riolu, who is a lot more fun to use in my opinion even if it kinda sucks to lose out on Fury Swipes. You get a lot more useful moves through level-up, and your base stats are much better than Meowth's. Another fun option that I used, but could only ever get by rigging the test, was Mudkip. Mudkip gets early access to Mud Slap, which lets you cheese your way through a lot of bosses by lowering their accuracy until they can barely hit you anymore. Later in the game you get access to Endeavor, which is honestly one of the most broken moves in the game, allowing you to 2HKO just about any Pokemon including bosses (I'm actually kind of glad they fixed this in PSMD so most bosses are immune to Endeavor, it was such a stupid, cheesy strategy).

I played through Gates once, and I don't remember what I used (I'm pretty sure my character was Snivy but I legitimately don't remember what my partner was. Pikachu maybe?). No real opinions on teams in that game, didn't like it enough to care, or to bother replaying it.

I only played through PSMD twice. The first time I got Froakie as my hero, and I believe I chose Torchic as my partner. The second time I got Treecko as my hero, and Cyndaquil as my partner. Both combinations were good, but I slightly preferred Treecko/Cyndaquil to Froakie/Torchic. Treecko's access to draining moves proved very useful throughout the entire game, and Cyndaquil's Smokescreen makes many boss fights easier, similar to Mudkip's Mud Slap from PMD2. Froakie was quite useful as well but really didn't get many great moves until later in the game, with your strongest attack being Water Pulse for most of the game unless you get lucky with TMs. Torchic really didn't seem to pull its weight very much, and I definitely preferred Cyndaquil with its Smokescreen support.

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
I've always felt like the personality quiz from mystery dungeon always stared into the very depths of my soul but the sort of natures I would consistently get as my pre-trauma self are pretty different from the ones I get now. When I was younger I would consistently get things like jolly, calm, brave and impish. Nowadays I get gentle, docile and timid most of the time, occasionally lonely or relaxed. Rarely depending on the questions given I'll get hardy or naive.

I've replayed Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky more times than I can count so I honestly don't remember every team I've ever had. Here's some of my notable teams:

Cubone (Impish) and Pikachu
Eevee (Naive) and Pikachu
Squirtle (Relaxed) and Torchic
Psyduck (Lonely) and Treecko
Mudkip (Timid) and Charmander
I remember picking Pikachu as a partner a lot because of a lot of the memorable early game bosses being Flying type.

Rescue Team DX Demo
Cyndaquil (Timid) and Pikachu

This is actually interesting to me as Cyndaquil was the male only timid result in the original, none of the starters are gender locked now so I wonder if they standardized the natures for them so each pokemon is only linked to one nature rather than gender and nature? I suppose it doesn't matter because no one documented the quiz results for Super and probably wont for this game either because you can just change them. I honestly I wish someone would document them though because I think that information is neat.

Cyndaquil (Calm) and Bulbasaur
Skitty (Naive) and Cyndaquil
Eevee (Jolly) and Chimchar
Vulpix (Relaxed) and Meowth
Bulbasaur (Docile) and Phanpy

For Gates to Infinity I always pick Oshawott and Axew as my partner. I've only played Super once as I honestly didn't really enjoy it, for some reason it just felt infinitely more stressful than its predecessors. My team was Torchic with Totodile as my partner, I went with what the quiz gave me.

I always try to make my team name some combination of the partner and leader's typings. Like Bulbasaur/Phanpy being Team JungleRock or Mudkip/Charmander being Team Hazy. I frequently use aquatic plants or swamps as the basis for Grass/Water teams and steam, clouds, fog, etc. for Fire/Water teams.

Had Squirtle as my partner in PMD Blue and I was Charmander. I didn't know at the time that you and your partner were chosen based on the answer you gave in the quiz at the start of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.