• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PMD2: Blind Eyes, Gazing Heart

Jewel

Newbie xxx
The chapters are pretty well described, Dagger. Love the character Rin, and I agree with Glace and Unicorn. I think only a short term romance may best suit Chatot and Chimecho.

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
@Jewel
Yes, I agree. I plan to simply abuse the idea for the sake of comedy and then let it go.

NOTE
The next chapter will be up either today or tomorrow!

Unicorn

Neigh.
NOTE
The next chapter will be up either today or tomorrow!

Exciting! I haven't even had the chance to get started on mine. I really need to get on that so I can have it up by Friday. -_-

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
Okay, everybody! Remember when I said that I'd get the next chapter up yesterday or the day before? Well, change of plans. I didn't have enough time yesterday, so the next chapter will be up later today. Reminder: There is a PM list!

Jewel

Newbie xxx
Ok, plz add me to the PM list.

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
Jewel, you're on the list!

Chapter Seven
Separation Anxiety

Eevee woke to bright sunlight. He was in a tent, on a hastily made straw bed. Rin was sleeping in a similar bed a few feet away, talking quietly in her sleep (Eevee caught the words 'mother' and 'Bithan'). Eevee stood up, after a few moments of struggling, and looked over the rest of his surroundings. There was a flap cut into the side of the tent, probably for use as a window. Fog leaked into the tent, and Eevee could see tall flourishing trees idly standing guard over a clearing. He heard the chattering of Guild members outside. They were at the base camp.

But how? Eevee, Rin, and Chimecho had been knocked out by some horrible scent. Actually, it was so bad that it didn’t even deserve to be called a scent. It was a horrible, horrible odor. Next thing Eevee knew, he was at the base camp. As if the world was inclined to answer his question, Chatot hopped into the tent, a worried look on his face. He was even shaking a little.

“Ah, you’re all right!” he sighed. “I was terribly worried about the three of you!”

“Meaning: worried about me and Eevee, and so worried about Chimecho that you’re shaking.” Rin was awake. She was sitting up in bed, facing Chatot with an amused smile. Eevee could see that his fellow team member was trying very hard not to burst out laughing.

“Well – I – I don’t…. Promise you won’t tell?” Chatot looked sad, maybe even a little desperate.

“Eh, sure.” Rin had a look on her face that Eevee knew quite well by now. She had one eyebrow raised slightly, and a faint smile. Eevee knew that this look meant that she was up to something. A few days ago, he had thrown ice-cold water all over Rin, and had gotten this same look an hour before he came back from their daily mission, itching all over from poison ivy. Unfortunately, Chatot was too stressed out to notice Rin’s look.

“Thank you! How do you feel?”

“Fine,” said Eevee. “Uh, but what happened?”

“Not sure. When the three of you didn’t turn up, we all decided to go look for you. Sunflora and Loudred found you unconscious just outside Fitting End Mountain. Were you attacked?”

“I think so,” said Rin. “We heard someone yelling at us to stop where we were…and then there was this really bad smell, and we passed out. Well, I know I did.” Rin apparently had just enough sense to leave out the part where she had insulted the unknown attacker and challenged him to a battle. Chatot simply nodded in understanding, and left the tent. Eevee gave Rin a serious look.

“Rin,” he said. “Don’t try anything. Just leave them alone.”

She waved him off distractedly. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll try.” Translation: You can’t stop me! You can’t stop me! Nah-nah nah nah-nah-nah! Eevee sighed, and led his partner outside, where all of the other Guild members were talking excitedly, until Chatot interrupted.

“Okay, everyone!” said Chatot. “Gather round, and we’ll discuss the plan!” Everyone did as he said, and Wigglytuff announced that they were going to look for a place called Fogbound Lake. The surrounding forest was appropriately called Foggy Forest, and it was because of this fog that the lake was hidden. Their mission was to find Fogbound Lake, and its treasure.

The mention of treasure got everyone going, especially Eevee. He was shaking with anticipation, eager to run through the fog and search for the lake. But he knew he couldn’t do that, for two reasons. One: he had to help Rin. Two: Rin still wouldn’t allow him to do that. She’d told him that rushing around would make them overlook the most important things, and lead to failure. ‘Slow and steady’, she’d said. ‘Unless you’re in a life-or-death situation. Then you can go as fast as you want and scream your head off.’ So Eevee kept himself contained, and eventually calmed down.

“Okay!” shouted Wigglytuff. “Let’s get searching! YOOOOOOM TAAAAAHHHHH!”

At the Guildmaster’s word, everyone began to prepare for the search. The members of Team Sensory gathered their supplies quickly, and set off into Foggy Forest. True to its name, it was indeed foggy. Eevee now understood what it was like to be unable to see anything, as he bumped into trees and tripped on the roots. Rin had picked up a stick along the way and was using it to feel around for anything in her way. Eevee wished that his paws had a better grip so that he could do the same.

The farther they went, the foggier it became. So foggy that Eevee relied on Rin to get around, as she was having a better time doing so. She seemed well-acquainted with using a stick or staff to feel her way around. It occurred to Eevee that maybe she had used one to feel her way around when she was in human form, so she would be used to it by now. He was about to mention it to Rin, when suddenly they entered a small cave, where the fog didn’t reach. It was warm, and empty, excepting Team Sensory and a few small plants. There were also some cave-paintings on the walls, faded and almost undistinguishable from the rock. Rin felt her way ahead while Eevee looked at the paintings.

When the team members were about ten feet apart, the ground began to shake. Rocks fell down from the ceiling, separating Eevee and Rin with a huge barrier. Rin screamed, and Eevee heard her try to pry some rocks loose, and did the same.

“It’s no use!” shouted Eevee, after a few minutes of fruitless labor. “We can’t move ‘em!”

“We’re gonna have to meet up somewhere else!” shouted Rin. “You get out at your end, and I’ll find the exit over here!” Then there was the sound of her feet padding away farther into the cave.

“Rin, you can’t!” shouted Eevee. But she had already gone. Eevee realized that this was the first time they’d been apart since they’d met, and he already missed her. Nonetheless, he left the cave and began to search for a way around, so that maybe he could find the entrance to the other end of the cave before Rin found it as an exit.

Rin was not in the most desirable situation. She was blind, alone, and in a cave. She was glad that the walls were narrow, because it was easier to feel around that way. Rin was also grateful for the fact that she encountered no other Pokemon in the cave, for the narrow corridor did not make for a good battlefield.

Other Pokemon…., she thought. Or just Pokemon? Am I a Pokemon or a human stuck in a Pokemon’s body?

Rin kept herself occupied with her question while looking for the cave’s exit. The mystery of who and what she was…. It both interested and upset her. It was possible that Rin was a wonderful human that always helped others in times of need. But it was also possible that she was a horrible, murdering girl that cared only for herself. Oh, how Rin longed to hear the answer! To learn of who she had been before! It would’ve been enough just to know when her birthday was….

As Rin felt the walls with her staff, she felt a sharp curve along the wall. She tried the other side, and it also had the curve. Rin took another few steps, and the warmth of the cave became the foggy cold of the outside. She could hear at least four small waterfalls nearby. Rin slowly walked forward, until she felt something hard. She put the stick on the ground and felt the new object with her paws. It seemed to be a large statue. Rin also felt writing along the side, but she didn’t know what it said. She backed off and sighed. Suddenly, Rin felt a familiar sensation. The headache.

~

There were no surroundings this time. Rin didn’t feel like she was going to be sick, and she didn’t feel depressed. There were distant whispers all around her. The voices sounded so familiar, but Rin could not identify them. Finally, one voice spoke up loud and clear, and this was familiar, too. Rin felt like she had heard this male voice recently, but she wasn’t sure.

“Place the Drought Stone in Groudon’s heart…. That lifts the fog! Very well done! Great job, partner!”

This voice was so familiar to Rin, and somehow comforting to hear. The whispers all around her slowly faded, and consciousness came drifting back….

~

After waking from the vision, Rin felt something pulsing against her chest. At first, she thought it was her heart, but soon realized that the pulses were too slow to be her heart. Rin put a paw on the necklace that Eevee had given her. It was giving off more heat than usual, and it was pulsing. Rin took the stone in both paws and felt its surface. The stone was shaped like a heart.

Immediately, Rin searched the statue for a hole or indent of some kind. Finally, after she felt a heart-shaped indent in what seemed to be the chest, she took off the necklace and inserted the stone in the statue. Suddenly, it felt as if the whole world was trembling, and the air turned from cold to hot. The shaking increased, and Rin screamed as she was blasted away from the statue, into a pool of water.

The shaking stopped. Rin quickly swam to the surface of the pool, amazed. She hadn’t known she could swim. Putting that aside, Rin swam to the edge of the pool and got out, coughing. She felt warm sunshine on her already drying fur. Rin lay on her back in the grass, waiting for her fur to completely dry off. If Eevee still hadn’t found her by then, she would continue the search for Fogbound Lake.

“Enjoying yourself there, girly?” It was the voice from when Rin was knocked out by that smell. She leapt to her feet, listening for signs of danger.

“Whoa!” the voice said. “Hold on! What makes you think I wanna hurt ya?”

“You knocked me out, for starters.” Rin was in a no-nonsense mood. She knew that this guy wanted trouble.

“What? No! I told you to stop because there were two rotten Pokemon sneakin’ around, lookin’ for trouble. Don’t you believe me?”

“Not really,” said Rin. She was charging up an Aura Sphere in her paws.

The unknown Pokemon sighed. “Well, that didn’t work. I guess I’m gonna have to finish you off here, then.”

That same stench from before filled the area, but Rin was too riled up to be affected. She fired her Aura Sphere in the direction the smell had come from, and heard a cry of pain. Then, a cry of rage, as Rin’s opponent Slashed at her arm with sharp claws. She yelped, and fell to the ground. Before this unknown Pokemon could attack her again, Rin delivered a Force Palm that sent him flying into a pool of water.

“No one messes with me!” shouted the Pokemon, after Rin heard him climb out of the water. She decided to play her last card.

“You…you wouldn’t really hurt me, right?” she whimpered. “I-I’m just a blind little girl…. I got lost, my friend is gone….” Rin began to fake-cry, putting her head in her paws. Her opponent remained silent for a long time, until he began to chuckle. The chuckle grew into roaring laughter.

“Good acting!” he laughed. “Well, we have similar problems. You’re blind, I’m blind. Your friend is lost, my friends are so dumb it’s like they’re not even here. Now drop the act and let’s get battling.”

Rin lifted her head and sighed. “Well, that didn’t work.” Just as she was firing up another Aura Sphere, she heard the Pokemon scamper away. “Humph! Coward!” Rin let her attack fade, and searched for her staff. Once she found it, yet another familiar voice called out to her.

“Rin!”

Eevee ran to his partner, a big smile on his face. Rin smiled too, and hugged him, causing him to blush. “Eevee! I was so worried about you!”

“Me?!” asked Eevee. “You’re the one who’s blind! You okay?”

“Yeah. Oh, hey, is the fog gone?”

Eevee looked around, amazed. “Y-yeah! How…. Did you do this? Hey, where’s your necklace?”

“I put the stone in that statue, and the fog lifted…. Are you mad?”

“No! No, no, no!.... Whoa!” Eevee looked up, and far above them stood a plateau, where one could see the beginning of multiple waterfalls.

“What?” asked Rin.

“Up there…that must be Fogbound Lake! Rin, there’s a plateau up there - !” Rin waved him off.

“You lost me right after ‘Fogbound Lake’. Come on, let’s go!” Eevee and Rin set off towards the plateau, and hopefully Fogbound Lake, at a run. Rin had abandoned her staff and was following the sound of Eevee’s paws pounding the ground.

They soon entered another cave through an opening at the base of the plateau. It was hot and humid, and housed many Fire-type Pokemon. Many times, Eevee had to scare off Slugma who were trying to sneak up on Rin. They would slowly, quietly slither up out of the pools of lava scattered throughout the cave. Eevee acquired a new burn on one of his paws each time he defeated a Slugma. The fact that he was running across hot dirt and rock didn’t help, but Team Sensory still moved onward, until they reached the top of the plateau.

The only difference between the cave and at least this part of the plateau was that this place was outside. It was still hot, and three small lava pools bubbled near the cave’s exit. The sky was visible due to lack of ceilings, but this small area was enclosed by rock walls. The walls extended sixty feet or so, and beyond them, a large body of water could be seen. The gold light of the setting sun on the sparkling water was visible even from where Team Sensory was standing. But as they walked slowly forward, a sense of danger became apparent.

“He’s here,” whispered Rin. She appeared to be both scared and confused, as if she didn’t know what she was talking about. Before Eevee could question, a loud roar filled the area. The ground began to have short periods of shaking, as if something very big and very angry was approaching. The shaking became so violent that Eevee and Rin were tossed about a foot in the air each time.

At last, an extremely large red Pokemon came to stand before them. Its claws and the spikes along the sides of its body had to be at least three feet long, and there were strange relic-like markings all over its red exterior. The Pokemon simply stared at the two small Pokemon before it.

Probably deciding whether he wants barbecue us first or just eat us as is, thought Eevee. He couldn’t avoid the Pokemon’s eyes, no matter how hard he tried. He suddenly envied Rin in this situation, since she couldn’t see this frightening hulk of a Pokemon.

Finally, the Pokemon spoke. Its voice, while not yelling, still made Eevee’s ears ring. “YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE. LEAVE THIS PLACE!”

“W-we just came to find Fogbound Lake!” shouted Eevee. He wasn’t sure if a Pokemon that tall could hear him speak normally.

“FOGBOUND LAKE?” asked the Pokemon. The intensity of his glare lessened while he considered Eevee. But after a fraction of a second, he roared and said, “I AM THE GUARDIAN OF FOGBOUND LAKE! I AM GROUDON! NONE MAY PASS WITHOUT DEFEATING ME FIRST!”

“Eevee!” shouted Rin, as Groudon raked the ground with the claws on his feet. “Get ready for a battle!”

As if on cue, Groudon roared and fired a Hyper Beam straight at his new challengers. Eevee and Rin leapt out of the way mere seconds before the huge blast hit the earth. In retaliation, Eevee fired his most powerful Shadow Ball. Groudon swatted the attack away like it was only a fly.

Rin, however, was using a head-on approach. She fired an Aura Sphere straight past Groudon’s face (Or maybe she planned to hit him, but it didn’t work out that way) as a distraction, and while the Continent Pokemon looked after the attack as it hit the wall behind him, Rin made her move. She threw a few pebbles around, and as the third hit one of Groudon’s claws near the tip with a tap, she charged directly at the source of the sound. Once at Groudon’s claw, Rin hopped on top of it, and slammed a Force Palm into Groudon’s ankle. The hulking red Pokemon roared in pain, but still he was not down. He kicked Rin off of his foot, sending her flying. She would have slammed into the rock wall and fallen to the ground like a broken doll, if it wasn’t for her Endure. Nevertheless, she gasped in pain, and lay catching her breath on the ground. As Groudon stepped towards the fallen Riolu to finish the job, Eevee shot another Shadow Ball at his stomach, winding him this time.

“Hey!” he shouted. “Relic Face! Spike! Here, boy!” Eevee whistled as one might do to coax a Mightyena. Groudon gaped in offense, and then roared and fired a SolarBeam at Eevee. He hopped out of the way, and used Swift. The tiny gold stars flew straight into Groudon’s open mouth, where he had been trying to ready another SolarBeam. The Continent Pokemon tried to roar, but instead choked in pain and clutched his throat. Behind him, Rin was recovering, and had managed to stand. Trembling, she raised her arms slightly and fired a weak Aura Sphere at her opponent’s back, but that was enough to cause both Rin and Groudon to collapse, unconscious.

After running out of the shadow of Groudon plummeting to the earth, Eevee rushed over to Rin. She had multiple bruises, mostly on her back, and a few scrapes and scratches on her legs and head. She was mumbling quietly, occasionally turning her head.

Groudon had somehow disappeared, and in his place was a much, much smaller Pokemon, fully-conscious. Most of its body was gray, except for the top of its head, where it was yellow with a short covering hanging down the back. It had two tails, both with a red jewel at the end, with a bigger similar jewel on its forehead. Its eyes were closed, yet it seemed to be looking directly at the Evolution Pokemon and fallen Emanation Pokemon.

“Why are you here?” asked the new Pokemon. It was obviously male, and even though the voice was little more than a whisper, Eevee could hear it quite well.

“Our guild is on an exploration,” said Eevee. “We were supposed to find Fogbound Lake…and its treasure. But if that’s a problem, we’ll just be happy to say we got this far! O-or if that’s a problem…!”

The Pokemon chuckled quietly. “Then, congratulations. I am Uxie, the guardian of Fogbound Lake. And, no, the treasure is not something safe to be taken. Also, I would be more comfortable if you kept your achievement to yourself. I apologize for my eyes being closed. They must stay closed, because my gaze erases memories.”

Uxie floated closer so that he was beside Eevee. He descended closer to the ground, and laid a hand on Rin’s shoulder. “She will live. But she must be healed soon.”

Uxie scooped Rin up in his arms, and carried her towards the sparkling water, with Eevee following close behind.

Yeah. Chapter seven. I'm sorry if its title doesn't make a lot of sense, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Unicorn

Neigh.
Love it! Rin's attitude is great. And I am so in love with the fact that Skuntank is blind too. It makes for a really interesting plot. =)

Jewel

Newbie xxx
Love it! Rin's attitude is great. And I am so in love with the fact that Skuntank is blind too. It makes for a really interesting plot. =)

Agree with you there.

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
Thank you, Jewel, Unicorn! I thought I'd go with a hero and villain similarity.

Guess what?

IT'S VOTING TIME!!!!

Which would you rather see first after this fic is completed?

a. A prequel (Rin's backstory)
b. A semi-sequel (my version of Special Episode 5: In the Future of Darkness)
c. A sequel (my afterstory of PMD2)
d. Different fic

I'm going to do all of this anyway, just want to know which one you want to see first.

Last edited:

Jewel

Newbie xxx
A sequel defianately!

Ps: My sister is currently unavaliable cause of too much school work (GlaceonLover1)
but she loves Chapter 7. She says a prequel.

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
@Jewel
Votes counted! I would be happy to do either one first, they've been in my head a lot lately. Oh and tell GlaceonLover1 that I said hi and thanks!

Prequel: 1
Sequel: 1
Semi-sequel: 0
Other fic: 0

Unicorn

Neigh.
My vote: d. Different fic. Not because I don't like this one. I just want to see your other styles of writing and what else you have in mind. =)

GlaceonLover1

BestCharacterEver <3
I am back! Glad to see Jewel put my fic in, but it looks like 3 differrent votes. What you going to do Dagger?

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
Prequel: 1
Sequel: 1
Semi-sequel: 0
Other fic: 1

What's wrong with the semi-sequel? Haha, joke. As for the tie, well, I have time before I start the next fic or -quel or whatever. I'll just wait for more people to vote!

But if I don't get any more votes or if it ends up as a tie again... I'll just pick it out of a hat.

Squel is what I want
damn it stuip computer posted twice

Last edited:
Sequel is what I want
(don't wanna get in troble for this)

Last edited:

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
Prequel:1
Sequel:2
Different fic:1

Hi, guys! I'm taking the semi-sequel off the list because I decided that I'm going to do that before the prequel or sequel because it would help things make more sense (I added a bunch of stuff). But if the different fic wins, then I'll do the semi-sequel after that.

Anyway, here's Chapter Eight! Oh, one more thing. I'm going to start putting up soundtracks for chapters, but there's a good chance that I won't get all of them.

Chapter Eight
The Author Posts a Chapter With a Lot of Foreshadowing Because Her Brain Melted

Despite being worried sick about Rin, Eevee's jaw dropped at the sight of Fogbound Lake. At its center was a blue-green light that appeared to emanate from something below the surface of the water. Drawn to it, Eevee absently walked forward and almost fell in the lake.

“Careful,” warned Uxie. “It's deeper than it looks. You could very easily drown.” He sighed. “I have lost so many Volbeat that way....”

Deciding that it was probably for the best if he didn't inquire about the unfortunate Volbeat, Eevee shook himself out of his trance and walked over to where Uxie was dipping Rin's limp body in the sparkling lake water. She was beginning to stir and mumble a little bit. This time, she was speaking in complete sentences.

“No, don't go.... You can't leave.... Mama, please, I need you here....” Rin mumbled things like that for a while, very upset, until she seemed to settle down a bit. That calmness didn't last long, however, as she seemed to be dreaming something else, something that made her smile. “Tell her, she has to know.... You can't deny it.... Come on, before it's too late.... You would both be happier if you told her....” Rin trailed off there, instead just mumbling unintelligible words and phrases, occasionally turning her head.

Eevee turned back to Uxie, worried about his partner. “Is she okay? Do you know what she's talking about?”

Uxie lowered Rin a little deeper into the water. “The lake water has healing powers, and enhances the clarity of dreams. Does she usually talk in her sleep?”

“Yeah, Rin talks in her sleep almost every night. Is she okay?”

“Yes. I assume that her dreams are showing her bits and pieces from her past. It's a shame that, although the lake's water greatly increases the chance of having dreams, it's very rare to remember them upon awakening. Rin is a human, yes? Remember, I am the Being of Knowledge. Any piece of information is safe with me.”

“I... I guess so. I mean, is she still a human? Or is she a Pokemon now?” This was a question that had been lurking at the back of Eevee's mind for quite some time now. Now remembering that Rin had had a life before all this, he was forced to bring the question back up to the front where his mouth was.

Uxie hesitated for a moment or two, but spoke. “Rin has the appearance of a Pokemon, yes, except for those eyes. But the girl's spirit is distinctly human. You are not able to see it at all, but if I look hard enough, I can see her spirit in the shape of a young human girl.”

Eevee remained silent for several moments, pondering his next question. “Can the lake fix her eyes?” He assumed that Uxie knew about Rin's disability, being the Being of Knowledge and all.

“No,” answered Uxie, his voice layered with certainty. “Now, I can sense that Rin has not been blind her entire life. It seems to me that she took a Ghost-type or typeless attack to the eyes. I don't know which one; maybe a Curse, or a Shadow Punch, maybe. Anyway, back to the point. If someone has been blinded by a Ghost-type or typeless attack, then there is no hope of regaining their sight.”

Both Eevee and Uxie remained silent after that. Eevee attempted to amuse himself by drawing pictures in the dirt, and failed. Everything seemed peaceful enough... until Uxie lowered Rin into the water some more. She began to scream and thrash her limbs in the water. Having learned from personal experience with her fists, Eevee kept his face out of reach of Rin's paws and cautioned Uxie to do the same.

Uxie finally lifted Rin out of the water and onto dry ground. She settled down considerably, but still occasionally murmured something unintelligibly and twitched. It seemed to Eevee that, if she had indeed been dreaming about her past, Rin had lived a hard life as a human.

Rin groaned. “Ugh.... I feel like crap.”

Slowly, she sat up and put a paw to her throbbing forehead. The pain was similar to what she felt prior to one of her visions. Rin could remember being asleep moments before, but could not remember if she had been dreaming, and if so, about what.

“Rin!” It was Eevee. “You're alright! I was really worried. Groudon threw you at the wall. Do you remember?”

Rin shrugged. “It rings a bell. Where's Groudon?”

An unfamiliar voice answered her. “He was just one of my illusions – he is gone. I am Uxie. You are Rin, yes?”

“Yep. So, uh, are we at Fogbound Lake now? We only fought that Groudon to get there and I hope I didn't almost die for nothing. Being flung at a wall? Not a good experience.”

“Yes, we are at Fogbound Lake. And I am afraid you cannot take its treasure. It is an artifact that even the most hardened criminals do not target. Tell me.... Are you well-informed of Time Gears?”

Rin, who had been starting to lie down again, sat right back up. “You're guarding a Time Gear?! One of the five honest-to-goodness Time Gears?! That's... that's amazing! That's why you used the Groudon illusion! All of the Time Gears are really heavily guarded, right? Isn't there a Time Gear altar inside a volcano – wow, I feel dizzy....” She flopped back down on the ground. Her head was spinning and throbbing the same way it did before a vision. Rin just wanted the vision to come already, so that it would stop....

Finally, it came.

~~~

Rin, having a surprisingly clear but still a little blurry vision, found herself in what looked like a strange bedroom. The piece of furniture that looked like it might be the bed was mostly white and puffy, and held up by table legs. An actual table with several drawers stood in the corner alongside a chair much too tall for Rin. Its surface, as well as the surrounding floor, was littered with papers and books, most of them open. One would normally expect all of this paper to only have words written on it, but there were patterns of tiny bumps between the lines. Out of curiosity, Rin walked over (As she had found that she could actually move her body here.) and, after failing to understand what the words said since she couldn't read, ran her paw over the tiny bumps in one of the books. To her surprise, she automatically knew what they translated to in her mind. They read:

Time Gears help keep time in balance. These five artifacts are well-known to Pokemon, but little to no humans could even guess that they exist. This is because of the Nightmare. Many centuries ago, a legendary Pokemon (whose identity is still unknown) with a deep hatred for humans put all of the ones living in the World of Pokemon, except for a few family lines that were spared (see page 789), into a deep and terrible nightmare. Many of our *domestic ancestors, the humans' Pokemon partners (see page 357), remained with the humans, though they knew that they could do nothing to help. Eventually, the humans that were afflicted with the Nightmare died off. Their Pokemon partners stayed with them even after they had died, most likely because of some hope that they could still have been alive and would wake up soon.

The Pokemon hoped with all of their hearts that the humans were still alive, but soon came to accept that this was not so. Racked with grief, they held traditional Pokemon burials for their lost friends, and ran away from the human villages. These villages can still be found today, by only the bravest explorers.

So, when we say that little to no humans know of the Time Gears' existence, we also mean to say that there are little to no humans left. This book holds the only written evidence of the Nightmare.

Domestic: An adjective used to describe Pokemon who have been raised by humans.

The rest of the page was about Time Gears, but Rin didn't care quite so much. Realizing that the page numbers were 'written' in the tiny bumps as well, she managed to locate page 789. She ran her paw over the bumps on the page.

The legendary Pokemon that brought the Nightmare upon the humans (see page 243) spared a few family lines. These families were called: Trao (Tray-oh), Wekark (Weh-kahrk), Vonot (Voh-not), and Karev (Kuh-rehv). They were spared only because of a flaw in the legendary Pokemon's plan. His nightmare was designed to not afflict any Pokemon, and technically, these particular humans were part Pokemon. Approximately two hundred and fifty years before the Nightmare, four humans – Orpheus Vonot, Elizabeth Trao, Leo Wekark, and Zora Karev – embarked on journey with their Pokemon partners.

Somewhere near the end of their journey, the group became seriously injured in a rockfall in what we now call Crystal Cave. The injuries of the Pokemon were not fatal, but the opposite was true for the humans. They only had mere minutes of life left. As their humans lay dying, the Pokemon thought back on everything the humans had done for them, and made a decision. The Pokemon gave their humans their own remaining life-force, saving their lives. Having seen how the Pokemon had given their lives to save their friends, the spirit of Crystal Cave, Azelf the Being of Willpower, allowed the Pokemon to live on as giant crystals. They now guard Azelf's lake and the treasure it holds, which is rumored to be a Time Gear.

Even though the Pokemon – Ninetales, Gardevoir, Mightyena, and Lucario – are still living as crystals, the life-force they gave their humans was not forgotten. Now, the sacrifice of one's life-force to save another is tricky business. If a Pokemon gives its life to a Pokemon, the recipient is saved and the giver is dead. If a human gives its life to another human, the recipient is saved and the giver is dead. If a Pokemon sacrifices its life to save a human, and vice versa, the recipient is still saved and the giver is still dead. But something changes in that case. The recipient's appearance is not changed in any way, but almost everything else is. They receive part of the giver's personality, way of thinking, and abilities.

Ninetales (*Vulpine), Gardevoir (*Violet), Mightyena (*Eyolf), and Lucario (*Seeker) had an ability that allowed them to –

It looked like someone had ripped out a small section of the paragraph. Rin snorted and ran her paw along the remaining 'words'.

...and this ability was passed on to Orpheus, Elizabeth, Leo, and Zora. They also became part Pokemon, thus preventing the Nightmare from affecting their descendants. And Zora inherited the ability to –

This part was ripped out, too. Rin ignored it and went on.

…so she passed this ability on to her son, and he passed it on to his daughter, and so on. If the descendants of Zora are still alive today, they will also have this ability. The same goes for the other families, though not with Zora's ability.

(Chapter continued on the next page)

*Humans are not named by what they are. They are given individual names. They usually give their Pokemon partners individual names as well.

Rin's interest in the chapter got the better of her. She turned the page and continued to read.

Those who are well-informed of this piece of history often single out the Karev family from the group. Truly Zora's descendants, members of the Karev family have strong wills and hearts, and a sense of courage. However, like Zora, many of them are restless and prone to danger. But the real reason that they are considered the most special is the prophecy associated with their family name. The prophecy states that the last Karev will be the one to turn to when the balance of time is threatened.

That was where Rin stopped reading. Why was the prophecy underlined (That much she could tell. She could see that it was a line.)? She picked one of the papers off the ground and ran her paw along the tiny bumps 'written' on it. It read: It has to be me. Did that mean that whoever lived here was the last Karev? Behind Rin, a door slammed and she heard a latch being shut. She turned around in surprise.

A tall, almost hairless, two-legged creature had entered the room. It staggered over to the bed and flopped down on it. It wiped its hands on the strange blue cloth that covered its legs and smoothed down its short black mane. Then it took several deep breaths, stood up, and walked over to the table without even noticing Rin. That annoyed her for a second, before she realized that the creature couldn't notice her since this was a vision, even though this was the weirdest by far.

When the creature spoke, it became obvious that it was female. “Oh, jeez.... How am I gonna save the world when I can't handle tragedy? Well, Miss The Last Karev, looks like you should change your name.”

The vision began to fade then. As the last remnants of the scene began to dissolve, Rin realized that the female creature was a human.

~~~

“Aaah!” Rin sat bolt upright. She swore under her breath and put a paw to her throbbing head, though the pain was dimming. “Uh, Uxie, did you carry me here?”

“Yes. How do you know so much about Time Gears?”

She thought about this for a moment. “I dunno.”

“Very well. Er, are you alright?”

“Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Happens all the time.”

“It's true,” Eevee added.

Rin could hear Uxie shuffling awkwardly beside her. “Alright... then.... Well, it's late. You should sleep. I'm sure you can go back home tomorrow.”

Rin felt exhausted, even though she had just slept. “Mmmkay.” She stretched and lay back down for the second and a half time. Her eyelids fluttered closed, and she drifted into a dream... again.

~~~

In this dream, Rin found herself in some lush, grassy plains. A light breeze played with the cloak around her shoulders. And for some reason, she felt taller. The wind brought some stray apple blossoms to swirl around her. She laughed, and watched with interest as a strangely colored Pokemon galloped towards her.

Whether or not Rin was taller in this dream, this Pokemon was far taller than her, and obviously of strong build. As it neared her, it slowed down to a trot, and finally a walk. It approached her comfortably, and nuzzled her with its long head. Rin brought what she thought to be a paw up to the Pokemon's neck to stroke the creature's smoky gray pelt, but found her paw to be a hand. She had mixed feelings as she realized that she was in human form in this dream.

The Pokemon didn't seem to mind one little bit. It nuzzled her again, encouraging Rin to stroke its fur. She did as she was bidden and the Pokemon closed its eyes contentedly. Rin noticed a group a Pokemon – different than this one – playing in the distance. The fact that this Pokemon had chosen her company instead of theirs made her feel special. Rin continued to stroke its neck, taking care not to stand too close to its hooves.

The Pokemon backed up a few feet. It turned its back on Rin, and looked at her expectantly. Seeing her automatic confusion, it nickered and shuffled its hooves, trampling some grass. Rin finally understood that this Pokemon wanted her to ride on its back. She hesitated, wary of the fiery blue mane. But then the Pokemon looked at her with those big brown eyes and she was forced to consent. Rin pulled herself up to sit on its back... and it did nothing.

By some reflex, Rin said, “Gallop.” The Pokemon did as it was told, and for a few seconds, Rin was a little scared that she might fall off. Her fears were soon forgotten as she felt the wind in her – it's called hair, right? The wind in her hair. Rin had her hands on her steed's neck and its mane didn't burn her. It actually felt pleasantly cool.

The Pokemon continued to gallop across the grassy plains with no clear destination. It seemed to be content with just being there with Rin on its back.... and she agreed. Rin was happy to do this until she woke up. And here.... Here, she understood the bond that can grow between human and Pokemon.

Soundtrack - "Wild Horses" by Natasha Bedingfield

- "The Last Unicorn" by America

I'm not sure if I wrote the pronunciation keys the right way....

Last edited:

Unicorn

Neigh.
Rin groaned. “Ugh.... I feel like crap.”

That made me lol for some reason.

The prophecy states that the last Karev will be the one to turn to when the balance of time is threatened.

That was where Rin stopped reading. Why was the prophecy underlined (That much she could tell. She could see that it was a line.)?

-headdesk- Come on Rin! Wake up!

Great chapter! Lots of dreaming going on. Reminds me of Rihana's fitful sleeps. Poor thing has no idea what's going on and neither does Rin. Good job and keep upthe good work!

DaggerThruMyHeart911

Foliatus Lacerta
That made me lol for some reason.

Me too, I don't why. Maybe it's just because everything was all serious and stuff, and then here comes a really random doesn't-need-to-be-there line and you go, "AHAHAHAHAHAH!" Like Dusknoir in that insane special episode - he creeped me out there.

-headdesk- Come on Rin! Wake up!

Great chapter! Lots of dreaming going on. Reminds me of Rihana's fitful sleeps. Poor thing has no idea what's going on and neither does Rin. Good job and keep upthe good work!

Hence the chapter's title :) ! And you know, now that I think about it, it kinda does remind me of Rihana. Glad you liked it, Unicorn!