• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PO Tiers VS Smogon Tiers

PO or Smogon Tiers?

• PO

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Smogon

Votes: 115 78.2%

• Total voters

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Which does everyone think is better?

In my opinion, PO tiers suck as they are rash, unreliable, and fail to make a metagame that is playable and do not test pokemon for long enough and make foolish tiers and bans as well as the LOL UU Tier.

Smogon's tiering is slow and won't be fully established until like the next game comes out but at least they are reasoned.

Thoughts?

Tiering differences:

Smogon:
- Drizzle and Swift Swim banned on the same team (this happened days ago)
- Deoxys N is banned (though there is significant support towards re-testing it in OU)

Pokemon Online
- Shanderaa is banned from Dream World, it is looking to be permanent. Smogon will likely do the same.
- UU tiers actually exist.

Past that the tiers are identical (unless I missed something) but Pokemon Online gets about five times the activity Smogon's server does.

How exactly should UU be done if PO is doing it wrong...? Seems they've made a decent effort so far to me, early days of UU are always going to be a cluster****.

I prefer Smogon's for now since Deoxys-N is really boring to play against (and I don't play DW).

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Pokemon Online tiers suck because they base their tiers on percentages, They also make the OU tier too small and many powerful pokémon are banished to UU or BL as a result.

Pokemon Online tiers suck because they base their tiers on percentages, They also make the OU tier too small and many powerful pokémon are banished to UU or BL as a result.

Actually Smogon also based their tiers off percentages last gen, and when they get access to their own statistics they likely will this gen, granted they might not set a low cutoff like PO did.

I'm glad that Smogon did something to balance Rain aside from banning Manaphy cause it is pretty unbalancing with or without Manaphy. Sure you can just spam Water types without Swift Swim and use Drizzletoed, but this type of ban effectively puts it on the same level as Sun.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
I'm glad that Smogon did something to balance Rain aside from banning Manaphy cause it is pretty unbalancing with or without Manaphy. Sure you can just spam Water types without Swift Swim and use Drizzletoed, but this type of ban effectively puts it on the same level as Sun.

They'd better ban Sand Rush Exca combined with infinite sand too...

PO Tiers suck. I remember when Deoxys-S and D were UU when Terrakion was OU. FML

You do realize the UU tier is only a few weeks old right, and that NU (when its created) will likely play similar to 4th gen's UU. UU is based on usage anyway, if you don't think these Pokemon deserve to be UU wouldn't they be used more in OU? What would you rather do, banish 25+ Pokemon from UU to Borderline just to imitate last gen's UU?

Smogon is smarter with their Tiers, and actually don't make many mistakes.

Latias.
Wobbuffet.
Deoxys S.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Sorry, I should have clarified myself with what I meant. My intention is to compare PO and Smogon's Tiering as well as rules and the way that it is run. I personally believe that the UU tier is not what a UU tier should be and if what gen 4 UU will be NU, what will be gen 4 NU? What do you mean by latias wobb and deo as mistakes? In this gen, they aren't so broken. Smogon, in my opinion, have a higher quality and professionalism in their process no matter how slow.

In 4th gen they were dropped into OU for testing. It turned out, Smogon was wrong and all three were banned again. This wouldn't be a problem, except back then there wasn't a suspect testing tier and the suspects were just dropped in the middle of OU. My point was that Smogon occasionally makes mistakes. Also, Latias testing dragged on for.. what, three months? Even though at each stage Latias got majority voting Uber? And the Smogon "council" lol, which banned Salamence. Yeah it got the job done, but it was almost a joke considering Smogon is supposed to be run "by the people".

(my point is that Smogon isn't perfect, neither is PO)

Calze6 try playing new UU. Its actually a lot of fun. Besides saying "you don't like it" (have you even tried it!?) what would you do differently? Also does it really matter? No one really played NU last gen so maybe this gen now that its bigger work will be done on it. Maybe NU will be split into two tiers since it might be made of of several hundred pokes this gen.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
How exactly are these things mistakes? I really don't believe that trial and error is something bad. After all, it was still good to test them to see if they were uber and there were deemed to be so.

Also, I quite remember that I played NU. This new "UU" seems very much BL or even OU. I might try a bit on the weekend but Ubers is better than all since there are no bans! (Except inconsistent)

Also, I remember that PO didn't have an evasion clause lolololololololololololololol.

windsong

WEST SIDE
PO Wifi Usage Stats said:
# 29 - Electivire (5.80 %)
# 45 - Shandera (4.43 %)
# 47 - Randorosu (4.09 %)

If you combine that with the fact that PO is currently basing their tiers on usage stats, then that's enough to make me consider smogon tiering better.

* and keep in mind that this is wifi. How is Shandy used more than Rando. How.

As much as I dislike defending PO's tiering, the only reason for Electivire being that high and the argueably Uber Landlos being in UU range is because this was taken from this months stats which only currently consists of 4594 battles so far. Smogon's tiering is still much better imo.

Thank you for preventing me from playing UU.

I actually like 5th gen UU. Once some ******** like Chansey and Kyumeru are removed its actually a lot of fun. Not nearly as unbalanced as you seem to think.

Calze I don't recall you ever playing UU in gen 4 or 5 so I'm not really sure what you're complaining about.

Dattebayo

Banned
Smogon for me since I have no idea what PO does with its tier list. Please enlighten me.

M4zz

Banned
Smogon for me since I have no idea what PO does with its tier list. Please enlighten me.

This is an overview of the PO tiers.

This is an overview of the entire Smogon system and how it works.

There are brief differences, and Smogon is considered to be more fair and user friendly.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
I played UU a little in gen 4 before. But this 5th gen "UU" seems nothing like gen 4 UU.