• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dragonsoldier77 said:
I don’t think ash has ever felt as inconsequential as he is now. Like ash has never been the most deeply written character out there let’s be honest, but without the tittle of ‘main character’ covering him it feels like there’s less reason to even pay attention to him. Rather than following his story, ash feels like he’s just along for the ride as much as us.

I think that says more about Satoshi's character in general than it does about this series, however. The writing has simply exposed the core weakness of his character, which is that he has no distinct personality to speak of other than him being a run-of-the-mill, benign shonen protagonist.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I think that says more about Satoshi's character in general than it does about this series, however. The writing has simply exposed the core weakness of his character, which is that he has no distinct personality to speak of other than him being a run-of-the-mill, benign shonen protagonist.

That’s exactly my point. He’s now a shonen protagonist who isn’t really a full protagonist anymore. So just a random brat. Unfortunately this series hasn’t been able to compensate for that lack of focus on him.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It also doesn’t help that his goal has felt forgotten for a good chunk time now. Using a ranking was a great way to give ash constant progress along side goh’s goal, but the way it’s been sidelined just makes ash look aimless and less important than goh. Which then makes his pokemon feels even less important with the lack of appearance. I feel like ash’s only memorable achievement in regards to his goal so far is beating korrina and that’s it.
That’s more due to the fact you can’t really do anything with Satoshi on a character level. His character is battling and his goal, if his Pokémon don’t have storylines and he doesn’t have character-based rivals or company to bounce off of than he doesn’t really have a lot going for him in that regard. Gou’s captures may feel phoned in but he’s got his own character, being awkward, trying to prove himself, being kind of a nerd, a student, making mistakes with his Pokémon, struggling with friends. Being innovative?

Still I ultimately still find his PM-self to be pretty likable even if he is ultimately stagnant. The struggles he went through during the Saito arc. highlight his humility as a trainer and how even he can be flawed. He’s meant to shine through his Pokémon and his support alongside them but I don’t think it needs to be said for the millionth time that PM doesn’t do much with his Pokémon and his personal growth/bonds relationships.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
What Ash endured against Bea was all self-inflicted. He used two very fresh members and expected to own her. That sure went well for him. Even BW Ash knew better than to have Scraggy fight in a gym too early when it was born.

If he had used Dragonite with Pikachu, the story would have been much different.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
What Ash endured against Bea was all self-inflicted. He used two very fresh members and expected to own her. That sure went well for him. Even BW Ash knew better than to have Scraggy fight in a gym too early when it was born.

If he had used Dragonite with Pikachu, the story would have been much different.
Nah, the writers would still have had him lose, no matter who he uses.

D

Deleted member 384931

Is it me or does it feel like Satoshi doesnt care at all sometimes what happens around him?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dragonsoldier77 said:
That’s exactly my point. He’s now a shonen protagonist who isn’t really a full protagonist anymore. So just a random brat. Unfortunately this series hasn’t been able to compensate for that lack of focus on him.

My point was that his character has always been like that under the surface, and it was only his passion to become a Pokemon Master [a vague goal, but a driving force nonetheless] that masked his character's vapidity, at least from my viewpoint. I suppose that I'm just amused by the fact that it took so long for other viewers to figure out that Satoshi isn't really that interesting to watch unless he's battling at regular intervals as part of an overarching subplot. I at least agree that his ranked battles should happen more frequently, though.