• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Leonhart

Imagineer
RetroPokeFan said:
Man, the Galar starters sure are having it the worst out of all the regional starter Pokémon aren't they?

Sarunori and Messon being ignored in the anime so far is depressing, especially in the case of the former since I'm a huge fan of the little monkey. And I'd even go as far as to say that the writers are wasting an opportunity to milk Hibanny's marketability further since we can be pretty sure it's going to evolve soon. Rabbifuto is fine, but it doesn't seem as cute or appealing as Hibanny, at least to me.

Red and Blue

If I had to take a guess as to why they are holding those two off it might be because they dont want them to overshadow Scorbunny. If Ash got one or both they would have had more to do(such as being effective against that Golurk)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
If I had to take a guess as to why they are holding those two off it might be because they dont want them to overshadow Scorbunny. If Ash got one or both they would have had more to do(such as being effective against that Golurk)

I suppose that thinking back, even when Ash didn't get all the starters, they never were treated equally.

Still in this case i'd rather the lesser of the two evils and predictability and just have Go get them so Ash can get unique unpredictable captures

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
No I didnt find the premise of this series appealing and several months later I still dont. My two biggest issues are:
1. The clear lack of character driven goals makes the whole series feel aimless. Jumping from one region to another each episode is jarring.
2. Go needlessly catching several Pokemon per episode that we'll never see again. Yes he was impressed by Mew as a child but how exactly is catching tons of Pokemon going to lead him to Mew?

Honestly I mainly watched the anime since it helps explore the culture and locations of the region. Sadly it looks like Galar won't be that well developed with this series...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Storm the Lycanroc said:
Jumping from one region to another each episode is jarring.

That's a rather exaggerated analysis since so far only about half of the episodes have taken place in regions outside of Kanto. If anything, I would argue that the traveling to other regions aspect of this series hasn't been utilized enough.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The battles this season are definitely on the XY level. Even though I like Ash vs Kukui, I do believe that rest of the battles of SM were downgraded!

Hopefully the battles start being more frequent from here on out.
We still need to see Dragonite in an official battle and it'd be cool to see if Mimey really was a one time thing or if Ash actually is going to use him

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
PM is really shaping up to be better than its predecessor. I mean first 20 episodes in previous series were also ranged from good to great but PM episodes felt much better. PM is what SM should've been all along. Mix of travelling ,battles, catching and staying at one place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Rock Captain 99 said:
The battles this season are definitely on the XY level. Even though I like Ash vs Kukui, I do believe that rest of the battles of SM were downgraded!

I think the battles in this series are intense from the get-go because Satoshi has several strong Pokemon just 18 episodes into the series, so there's nothing holding the writers back from going all-out. I think it's great that we can get such high quality battle choreography so soon in this series.

Zoruagible

PM is really shaping up to be better than its predecessor. I mean first 20 episodes in previous series were also ranged from good to great but PM episodes felt much better. PM is what SM should've been all along. Mix of travelling ,battles, catching and staying at one place.

And Ash's new captures are shaping up to be better too, I already love Dragonite and Gengar far more than Rowlet, Melmetal, and Naganadel.
Hopefully he doesn't suffer losses like Naganadel and Goodra this time, have the other character do a release for a change.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think the battles in this series are intense from the get-go because Satoshi has several strong Pokemon just 18 episodes into the series, so there's nothing holding the writers back from going all-out. I think it's great that we can get such high quality battle choreography so soon in this series.
I hope we get more hand to hand battle choreography. SM didn't really allow that much due to Ash's mons not really having bodies suited for it, but it was something I really liked from XY.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I just got done watching episodes 14-18 after taking a brief hiatus from the show, and I really loved all those episodes. The only major thing still bugging me about it is how Kanto focused it is, but I really enjoy everything else. Art style is beautiful, it's still super charming, and I've even finally got to the point where I actively like Go as a character instead of just accepting his presence. Plus, Team Rocket is more entertaining with every passing episode, and since we've seen the gacha a handful of times now I gotta admit it can lead to some pretty cool moments.

If we're lucky and the region focus evens out a bit more over time, this series could be truly great. I still expect a lot of missed potential frankly, but after a shaky start I think they've been killing it lately.

Zoruagible

I just got done watching episodes 14-18 after taking a brief hiatus from the show, and I really loved all those episodes. The only major thing still bugging me about it is how Kanto focused it is, but I really enjoy everything else. Art style is beautiful, it's still super charming, and I've even finally got to the point where I actively like Go as a character instead of just accepting his presence. Plus, Team Rocket is more entertaining with every passing episode, and since we've seen the gacha a handful of times now I gotta admit it can lead to some pretty cool moments.

If we're lucky and the region focus evens out a bit more over time, this series could be truly great. I still expect a lot of missed potential frankly, but after a shaky start I think they've been killing it lately.

The last two Go episodes were certainly a vast improvement on the character, I still don't like him but at least the episodes weren't a massively boring catchfest that feels like you're watching a Pokemon Go let's play, like episode 6.
I hope they stick to one team change for him per episode from this point on, it makes his goal feel less forced and more entertaining.

Pteranodonte

To be honest. I only watched the anime because Ash got a Dragonite, and then Gengar. I only care about Ash, and have always only cared about Ash the entire time I have been watching pokemon.

I hated Sun and Moon, because the bitter taste of Kalos. However, the league won me over.
You are telling me that there are people who follow this anime for other reasons besides that?

Master Pikachu 11

I have to say that when the series first started I was getting mad because I felt they were going to let Go do most of the captures and let Ash just watch and not catch anything. It also didn’t help that they decided to have him use Mimey instead of bringing back some of his old Pokémon from the lab. I came really close to taking a break from watching this series, but after Ash captured Dragonite and then Gengar, I was really glad that I stuck with it and it gives me hope that this series could actually shape up to be something special. Yesterday’s battle was better then majority of the Kahuna battles in Sun and Moon so I have hope that things are going to keep getting better.