• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Red and Blue

It's alright. The only thing that has excited me so far was the Lugia raid battle and Ash using Mimey in the Hoenn tournament.

Hopefully things will pick up on episode 9

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
A thing that does bother me in the show is how they handled the region hopping. I mean, Ash just shows up and say "Let's go to Hoenn" like it's the supermarket in the corner of the street. I could let Galar slide since they need an excuse to have them there just so Go can get Scorbunny but those random lighting trips to Sinnoh and Hoenn are weird. And we are strictly talking about the regions based on "PokéJapan". It's going to get worse once they decide to have them go to Unova, Kalos and a second visit to Galar

Kind of wish they just stabilished Sakuragi had a powerful Psychic type that could use teleport to send them to those locations or something like that.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My thoughts on this series were neutral to begin with since I was neither excited for this series, nor cynical about it. I did expect to see Gou get less screen-time than he's been getting recently, however. I thought that he'd be more like a male sidekick character, but he's bordering on being more exposed than Satoshi, which might be a good thing.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
In the beginning, I felt disappointed that we weren't getting a strictly Galar anime, though I did appreciate the fact that they weren't going back to the old travel formula just yet. Also, my fears that new-generation content (ie. content which takes place in a completely new region) were on the verge of phasing out completely.

As of now, I'm still disappointed at the non-caring for the Galar region (it's actually worse than I thought). I would've taken the travel formula if it meant a proper anime in Galar. And the fears I mentioned above are ever-stronger.

TLDR: I was generally worried before, but now I'm full-on fearful for the future. And I think this anime sucks.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Was sceptical the Pokémon 2019 anime was doing a world tour thing and after the recent few episodes my option hasn't really changed now, particularly with Galar seemingly taking the back seat. Unless things change from episode 9 onwards I am worried the scattergun nature of the episodes will grow old and we would have been better off with a "traditional" setting in Galar.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Before: This is gonna be on par with at least AG, with Ash and Go travelling around the world while girls(Misty, Dawn,May) would be third companions in those regions, Travelling was: Ash and Go in Kanto for 10 episodes(Or more) then move to Johto for 10 episodes, Hoenn etc. After Galar, back to Kanto for 10 episodes then Johto, then Hoenn, cycle repeats.
Or
Ash and Go are in Galar, travelling inside Galar , Ash will fight get badges get new Pokemon, see new gimmicks, while other regions is about Ash's older companions like Specials.

What we got: boring episodes of Ash and Go going in certain region for 1 episodes doing boring stuff. Quality is better than GS and SM, but SM is less boring than PM. Still quality > being boring.

BlueDragonfangirl

I'm bored stiff of this series at this point, no plot or new enemy to deal with yet or captures for Ash. He doesn't even use his reserve for this series which was what I was hoping since he hasn't caught any thing. I'm annoyed with all the attention Go is getting compared to Ash too, at least when you had the female lead like Dawn they both got equal treatment, here Go is the one doing all the captures and everything in general leaving Ash being in the dust. I think I'll lay low for a little while till something interesting happens.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Honestly, a big part of me is hoping that the target demographic of this garbage isn't enjoying the series either. I know that's kinda selfish, but if they don't, maybe that'll convince the franchise to do a proper anime with a story.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Honestly, a big part of me is hoping that the target demographic of this garbage isn't enjoying the series either. I know that's kinda selfish, but if they don't, maybe that'll convince the franchise to do a proper anime with a story.
People have said that for every series they disliked, and the anime staff has kept doing what they wanted.

I think that either:

a) they don't care
b) the series is always popular regardless of what they do

Like, people argued that XY was the way it was because BW was so "poorly received", but then they followed up XY with something like SM, so clearly they don't pay too much attention to audience reception.

D

Deleted member 384931

I try to stay positive each episode, but there is always something that doesn't feel right. Sometimes it's conflict, sometimes it's too easy.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
People have said that for every series they disliked, and the anime staff has kept doing what they wanted.

I think that either:

a) they don't care
b) the series is always popular regardless of what they do

Like, people argued that XY was the way it was because BW was so "poorly received", but then they followed up XY with something like SM, so clearly they don't pay too much attention to audience reception.
Yeah, if they really cared about what the audience wants, particularly the online fandom, then the current series would have went back to something similar to XY instead of continuing stuff from SM like the 'funny faces' or whatever.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I was excited at first, the first episode was amazing and the Lugia raid was incredible... but then it became the Go Show and my interest quickly went down the drain. And from what I can't help but notice? The people OKAY with that actually HATE both the TRio and Ash, nobody that likes other characters is okay with that ****. I have yet to see one TRio fan or Ash fan speak up and praise this turkey of a saga

Go gets to progress in EVERY ****ing episode while Ash still doesn't have a single new Pokemon, no Galar progress, no sole focus episode like Go has multiple of, it's incredibly boring. If you bitched about Ash hogging the spotlight and then praise Go for it, that's the exact definition of a hypocrite! I hated XY for them doing that with Ash, character episodes need to be spaced out not crammed together. Dawn split the focus with Ash 50/50 and that's how it SHOULD be.

And don't get me started on the TRio. I HATE that stupid gacha machine, hate it! As if Go catching Pokemon easy as pie and destroying everything the anime was built around wasn't enough, the characters who literally have had the best bonds and interactions with their Pokemon are stuck with a bunch of random Pokemon that essentially serve as "villain of the week"? That even makes BW look appealing.... at least they actually had their own Pokemon. Bad enough James has gone through every recent saga with just one Pokemon, him not having ANYTHING at all for an entire saga is criminally unjust! -_-

If they wanted to make the TRio intimidating, then they shouldn't have written off the Alola Pokemon. There was literally no reason to, no rule at all! They left the Sinnoh team at HQ because they were going undercover, then gave up the BW drones in order to compensate for their failure, and Inkay/Gourgeist? Just unceremoniously dumped offscreen with no explanation. The TRio having Seviper, Yanmega, Carnivine, Mime Jr, Gourgeist, Inkay, Mareanie, and Mimikyu all on their team would actually make them intimidating af. A random Tyranitar and Gyarados is the exact opposite of that lmao

I'd much rather have had a Galar saga. Koharu is the only new thing that remotely interests me, but even she is barely used!

There are only a few ways this can improve.
1. Go takes a damn seat and lets Ash take the focus for the next 10 episodes, fair is fair after all.
2. Ash capturing 5-6 Galar Pokemon and at least one Pokemon from the Johto -> Alola regions
3. Dawn and Brock saga (No excuse if both are ignored.... Brock's VA is STILL doing work for them and Dawn is popular as hell)
4. Actually referencing past sagas and bringing back old characters, even if it's just Gym Leaders/Frontier Brains. But somebody like Todd Snapp, Tracey, Casey, Sakura, Morrison, Gary, Paul, Bianca, or Barry??? Yes please! Going back to old regions and not taking advantage of the potential makes it feel like a complete waste, much like if the saga ends without an appearance from the best Kanto Gym Leader, cause you know.... he LIVES in Vermillion!
5. TRio do get Pokemon of their own
6. Reserves. Please just let Kingler and Charizard Gigantimax.... do what XY didn't.

D

Deleted member 384931

I was excited at first, the first episode was amazing and the Lugia raid was incredible... but then it became the Go Show and my interest quickly went down the drain. And from what I can't help but notice? The people OKAY with that actually HATE both the TRio and Ash, nobody that likes other characters is okay with that ****. I have yet to see one TRio fan or Ash fan speak up and praise this turkey of a saga

Go gets to progress in EVERY ****ing episode while Ash still doesn't have a single new Pokemon, no Galar progress, no sole focus episode like Go has multiple of, it's incredibly boring. If you bitched about Ash hogging the spotlight and then praise Go for it, that's the exact definition of a hypocrite! I hated XY for them doing that with Ash, character episodes need to be spaced out not crammed together. Dawn split the focus with Ash 50/50 and that's how it SHOULD be.

And don't get me started on the TRio. I HATE that stupid gacha machine, hate it! As if Go catching Pokemon easy as pie and destroying everything the anime was built around wasn't enough, the characters who literally have had the best bonds and interactions with their Pokemon are stuck with a bunch of random Pokemon that essentially serve as "villain of the week"? That even makes BW look appealing.... at least they actually had their own Pokemon. Bad enough James has gone through every recent saga with just one Pokemon, him not having ANYTHING at all for an entire saga is criminally unjust! -_-

If they wanted to make the TRio intimidating, then they shouldn't have written off the Alola Pokemon. There was literally no reason to, no rule at all! They left the Sinnoh team at HQ because they were going undercover, then gave up the BW drones in order to compensate for their failure, and Inkay/Gourgeist? Just unceremoniously dumped offscreen with no explanation. The TRio having Seviper, Yanmega, Carnivine, Mime Jr, Gourgeist, Inkay, Mareanie, and Mimikyu all on their team would actually make them intimidating af. A random Tyranitar and Gyarados is the exact opposite of that lmao

I'd much rather have had a Galar saga. Koharu is the only new thing that remotely interests me, but even she is barely used!

There are only a few ways this can improve.
1. Go takes a damn seat and lets Ash take the focus for the next 10 episodes, fair is fair after all.
2. Ash capturing 5-6 Galar Pokemon and at least one Pokemon from the Johto -> Alola regions
3. Dawn and Brock saga (No excuse if both are ignored.... Brock's VA is STILL doing work for them and Dawn is popular as hell)
4. Actually referencing past sagas and bringing back old characters, even if it's just Gym Leaders/Frontier Brains. But somebody like Todd Snapp, Tracey, Casey, Sakura, Morrison, Gary, Paul, Bianca, or Barry??? Yes please! Going back to old regions and not taking advantage of the potential makes it feel like a complete waste, much like if the saga ends without an appearance from the best Kanto Gym Leader, cause you know.... he LIVES in Vermillion!
5. TRio do get Pokemon of their own
6. Reserves. Please just let Kingler and Charizard Gigantimax.... do what XY didn't.
Never going to happen

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Never going to happen
What is "never going to happen"? There were six different hopes listed in the post you quoted. Are you trying to claim that none of it will happen, not even "Go taking a backseat to give Satoshi some decent focus"?

D

Deleted member 384931

What is "never going to happen"? There were six different hopes listed in the post you quoted. Are you trying to claim that none of it will happen, not even "Go taking a backseat to give Satoshi some decent focus"?
Yup. 100%

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I predicted right after the series was officially announced that the concept is just dumb as hell and after the first seven episodes I already had enough. It just ended up like predicted. A messy series with a lot of stupid episodic plotlines in old regions for the sake of just as stupid nostalgic callbacks...without that much continuity...

People said that there are gonna be less filler or filler like episodes because of the multiple regions. Yeah because the setting totally means less fillers...

But to get more into detail now, lets look at Pokemon 2019 ( god what an awful name):

- Go and Scorbunny are actually pretty interesting if they had any other activity other than catching Pokemon we probably never see again. And like predicted, it's actually nonsense and became boring quickly. Catching Pokemon is without a doubt the most boring thing in the series and unnecessarily takes away space from an episodes. I mean what's the deal of capturing Pokemon and boxing them immidiately without any bonding between Go and the Pokemon? It's just a waste of time and is exactly the biggest problem the "capturing every Pokemon" goal can have. What a waste!

- Something positive for once: Artstyle, colouring and shading. So much better than that overbrighted mess from SM.

-Koharu should've been a main protagonist and actually doing something. I hate that she's not on the same level as Ash and Go and that there's no real female main character. And for what reasons? For people living out their yaoi fantasies into Ash and Go without any chick interacting with them?

- So what's the actual deal with the series? What's the motivation? What is Ash's goal in this world travel? What's the reason for this series to jump from one region to another? What's actually of substance? I can't see anything worthwile. How even if the series changes regions every 1-2 episodes and a bigger plot string going for more than one or two episodes not being possible. I fear that this ends up being a bigger nonsense than Ultra Guardian episodes.

- Why the don't promote at least the Galar mons? A lot of people play Sword&Shield right now and a lot of people love the gen 8 Pokemon including me. Why doesn't Ash capture two or three Galar Pokemon? Why he doesn't capture any Pokemon at all. I don't know if I really should count Mr.Mime as a real team member yet. I would hate it if he captures Pokemon and start developing (if they develop at all) with them late in the series again.

I am sad. Sad that instead of an Galar series with characters like Sonia, Bede, Marnie, Hop or the gym leaders, a more solid groundwork for story and battles and character arcs for Galar people and Pokemon, we got this. I sincerily hope that PM2019 ends this October and they start a Galar series.

D

Deleted member 384931

It's called pokemon 2019, not Sword and Shield the series. I find it sad that a site like Bulbapedia, an online encyclopedia about pokemon, uses SS=sword and shield because they can't come up with another name. It's offensive for reasons I won't address. People need to learn there isn't a Galar series, there won't be a next season where they will travel Galar alone and ditch all the other region. And yes Galar Pokemon will be featured as much as other pokemon. They don't speak about seasons in Japan. Galar still gets some focus that it has to share with other regions, yes. And if you don't like this, watch Pokemon Twilight Wings instead. And people still hope things that won't happen, how much we would like it. You can't change it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi & Touko said:

I don't think that the target demographic is as picky as older fans tend to be, so I'm assuming that they're more satisfied with what we're getting. Honestly if you factor out the expectations of callbacks to previous Pokemon of Satoshi's and characters he's met, this series has delivered so far on its promise to showcase many Pokemon and regions across the various generations.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Just about what I was expecting, my only issue is the series needs motivation/drive which I feel it lacks now. I can see why they talked about the episodes being episodic and how there are less character arc. because of it but then S&M kind of started off kind of slow too. Right now PM2019 just needs more grounding with the world, goals and motivations of the characters. It also could use more characters and Pokémon in-general. Me thinks the first 50 or less episodes will continue with this ideology while later introducing more of a long-standing goal.

Right now I just want some captures for Satoshi, Pikachu is going to get old soon. The fact that they showed Professor Magnolia’s picture makes me feel Galar will get a good chunk of focus eventually. Plus why put the starters in the opening if they’re going to ignore them, because they’re not. We will get the other two eventually since we saw the Kanto ones as well as Pochama. I think people are calling doom and gloom far too soon. But that’s the nature of things when you’re waiting week-by-week for a new episode. Lugia meant something and Satoshi/Go formed a bond with it so I’m sure it’ll appear again, I’m sure Ho-Oh will matter as well. Zacian/Zamazenta also appear in the OP.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
I think the earlier episodes are trying to set up Go for his co-protagonist status. After episode 9, Ash should also start to get focus. Hopefully the new titles are revealed in his favour!!