• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

I'll give this series this, I can skip most of the episodes!

mystreon

the elder eevee
I have been liking journeys tbh, but it has many major flaws,

.They completely missed the point and the fun of team rocket , tho living upto sunmoon team rocket is a pretty big ask one of the best iterations in the series

.No team chemistry, which i feel is in due part to another complaint of mine, giving ash fully evolved mons when the journey and growth and chemistry usually happens through then growing and possibly evolving from base to full with ash unless there single stagers.

.Over reliance on kanto pandering, not enough focus on the newest game galar and not enough usage of ashs reserve mons when this series has established sakaragi park as a place were ash could be putting extra mons from catches and old mons from his reserves in to use when needed, ash should get over 6 mons in this series just slower than go.

.Just generally being astep back from sunmoon anime

There have been plenty of gems in this rough, but they cant outshine the flaws, poor chemistry outside of some of the humans, neglecting two of ashs party almost entirely, not understanding the strengths of itself namely the fact it has done two great episode sin m y opinion in the go family stuff and the dratini nature documentary style, just do more of that?

and dont even get me started on the undeserved wins, ash just ****ing pulling out his untrained nuke dragonite to beat korrina, atleast bea came in to straighten out that the reason ash won was because korrina is still not a great trainer even if shes mastered lucarios mega evolution. Loved seeing ash get stomped on.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It is very easy: for each two good episodes, there are ten medicore ones. They re-use plots of the past too much (celebi, Pikachu evolving, etc) and give it a twist. While Gou and Ash are ok, the supporting cast is used in a bad way.

Celebi was not a re used plot at all? That episode was entirely new in its structure and didn't even evolve time travel.
Plus we haven't even seen that Pikachu episode yet for you to say they are reusing plots
Maybe actually watch the show properly?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
The return to Alola, introduction of Bea and the potential Bea/Korrina/Ash rivalry is something that I'm very interested in, so PM has my interest so far.

Goh's goal and handling of that has still been a massive failure tho. They need to rectify that if they want this series to truly shine.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
That is my opinion. And honestly your opinion and mine will always be different. I dont have to write paragraphs defending myself why I think that way. The point of this thread is to give my personal opinion about this series. I did. End of discussion.

Yes it is your opinion and you have a right to it but that opinion is just based on something false. Just because celebi is in an episode doesn't mean it is a reused plot since there was literally no time travel, there was nothing in that EP similar to previous celebi episodes, so I don't really get how you can claim they are reusing plots?

Ultra Beast Lover

I don't know what it is, Pokemon just hasn't been hitting the mark for me quite like it used to. It's like everything is slower somehow and not a fun slow but a boring slow, like history class. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting too old for it because I still like watching other shows aimed at younger audiences. It's not my attention span because I really don't mind slower episodes if they're fun. It's not Go though his goal is still dull. I don't even think it's the new format, at least not entirely. But there's just something about it that makes me not want to watch episodes again and again and again.

LucasMV

There were 2 times in the last years that I stopped watching Pokemon every week, and they were the Decolore Islands arc in BW and the start of Sun and Moon. I don't regret the first one, but definitely regret the last one.
Sun and Moon proved me wrong when I gave it a chance, and I quickly caught up with the series and really enjoyed it.

Now, I like the premise of this series, though I think if this was during the OG-DP era we would have definitely already seen some of Ash's reserves and probably some of them would've been involved in battles, since this is Ash's toughest challenge so far and like he did for the Battle Frontier, and specially cause he's in Kanto most of the time, it would only be natural.

But still, I'm enjoying JN for the most part, some filler episodes are more boring, but that's always been the case, and I like how now it truly feels like the Pokemon world is connected and there are different pokemon species everywhere and stuff. It makes it feel more natural.

What will make or break this series for me, is if Ash uses his reserves or not for the PWC. If he does, which I think he will, then this has the potential of being the best series of them all, specially if he achieves his goal and defeats Leon.

I do wonder where they'll take it from there if that happens though, cause I can't see them getting rid of Ash.

I'm still fine with the episodes. In my opinion, I simply don't believe in the "for every 2 episodes there are 10 bad ones" argument. But at the same time I'm not too critical with any anime series. I watch anime to escape the real world and am just in it for the ride. Being too critical of something can ruin the fun and spoil things for me so I choose not to do so. In that regard, my opinion can be extremely biased.

But I've been enjoying some of the premises of each episode. Some of them may not include much action, but at least they're fun in their own way. I especially loved the Yamper episode and learning more about Yamper and Chloe. The Pikachu centric episode may have had its flaws, but it was fun in its own way and I loved seeing Mr Mime and Pikachu interact more. So on and so forth.

In terms of battling, I'm hoping that he does end up using more reserves. I still don't see the point in him capturing more than five Pokemon in this series since he has a ton of reserves just sitting in Pallet Town, though I am open to the idea since he's mainly caught Kanto Pokemon thus far.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That is my opinion. And honestly your opinion and mine will always be different. I dont have to write paragraphs defending myself why I think that way. The point of this thread is to give my personal opinion about this series. I did. End of discussion.
Opinions aren't something that is immune/untouchable. Saying that Celebi episode was something reused is flat-out wrong no matter what you say. Disliking it is one thing but saying it reused a previous episode's thing is objectively not true with what was presented.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Opinions aren't something that is immune/untouchable. Saying that Celebi episode was something reused is flat-out wrong no matter what you say. Disliking it is one thing but saying it reused a previous episode's thing is objectively not true with what was presented.

Thank you! This is what I meant

On the topic of journeys episode sucking I disagree, I really think people are being way too over critical because they are bummed out that it isn't doing things they want (since the concept now allows for a variety of ideas) and I mean that's fair, and I also believe the show isn't living up to its full potential, but like, we aren't even a full year in.
I really think the approach I did with SM where j binge watched a lot of episodes instead of waiting a week would work best here since people are too impatient for major stuff to happen I believe that they fail to appreciate the fun fillers. Like journeys fillers are not upto the mark like SM and there are many bad ones, but many are enjoyable too. The 10 bad episodes for every 2 good ones just seem to me that it's people getting impatient over major stuff happening. If u are disliking the series so much I'd advise to take a break for a while and then come back and binge watch many episodes, might make it more enjoyable for u

Thank you! This is what I meant

On the topic of journeys episode sucking I disagree, I really think people are being way too over critical because they are bummed out that it isn't doing things they want (since the concept now allows for a variety of ideas) and I mean that's fair, and I also believe the show isn't living up to its full potential, but like, we aren't even a full year in.
I really think the approach I did with SM where j binge watched a lot of episodes instead of waiting a week would work best here since people are too impatient for major stuff to happen I believe that they fail to appreciate the fun fillers. Like journeys fillers are not upto the mark like SM and there are many bad ones, but many are enjoyable too. The 10 bad episodes for every 2 good ones just seem to me that it's people getting impatient over major stuff happening. If u are disliking the series so much I'd advise to take a break for a while and then come back and binge watch many episodes, might make it more enjoyable for u
Funnily enough, I am enjoying this series more than I enjoyed SM when in the manner that I'm watching Journeys on a weekly basis as opposed to waiting for a couple of episodes to come out and binging them during the SM era. I found the SM series more enjoyable this way.

So maybe you're right and people should just take a break and binge the episodes when more are out. It worked for me when I was getting burnt out of SM.

TheCrazyMaster

Back when I first heard about this series I thought that it could very well be some big nostalgiafest with everything from previous sagas mattering, and indeed we have seen a lot of continuity, and I'm glad that it isn't just gen 1 pandering. My main concern right now is that they'll prioritize the most recent editions (XY & SM) along with OS.

I do like some of the worldbuilding editions like Lance having history with the Galarian Dragon gym, or adding varying Pokemon sizes like in GO and Let's Go, while feeling consistent with the fact that we've seen various sized Pokemon in the anime in the past. I do like that we occasionally see Pokemon from other generations in Kanto, but I don't like how they are restricted to showing up under the ownership of trainers, as opposed to BF showcasing newer Pokemon in Kanto without hesitation.

Then there's the matter of Ash and Gou. I think they both have great goals, but I don't like how they're being executed.
Most of the episodes where Gou catches a new Pokemon could just as easily be considered filler imo considering that the Pokemon are almost never the main focus. I also feel like most of his captures are a punch to the face to all the effort characters in previous sagas caught their Pokemon with varying levels of difficulty. I am however glad that they occasionally pay attention to this like when Gou caught the Lord.
Then there's Ash's goal. So far the most exciting WC battle for him was the first one, where he showed just as much skill and strategy as he has in other sagas. But my main gripe is that most of his WC battles happen very briefly or end at the beginning of the episode. Now, all previous sagas have done similar things with battles against COTD's that only take up part of the episode, and on one hand the fact that these are now WC might come across as being significant. However, my main gripe with this format is that it makes it seem as though Ash's goal is an afterthought, as though Ash's goal isn't even important to the series itself, which feels especially jarring considering this is supposedly supposed to be the tournament to end all tournaments, the greatest challenge in the world. Speaking of the which, something that concerns me for the future of the anime is what does Ash do next. I sincerely wonder what the series could do next to ensure that Ash doesn't move onto a goal that seems beneath the WC (unless this is supposedly Ash's last series, which it doesn't really feel like). Also from a plot wise standpoint it feels like Ash should be bringing back reserves just like he did for BF, but the main thing preventing him from doing that is the demographic of the audience.
Also when watching battles between the Master 8 to determine the strongest trainer, it almost feels as though there are no stakes, even though there absolutely should be considering their fighting for the honor of world champion. By comparison when Flint fought Cynthia in DP you could clearly see that they were going all out and that there was a level of intensity in that match because the stakes were so high.
Speaking of Ash and Gou, I do like the dynamic between the two of them, with Ash feeling like someone experienced at facing the world head on and supporting Gou as he tries to do the same.

I have varying thoughts about the lab. For one it feels like Ash actually has a reason to be there as opposed to the Pokemon school, with the Dragonite island episode being a prominent example of being an explorer/researcher. However, I feel like it's slowly starting to lose its purpose, as Ash and Gou are doing fewer and fewer research projects, and now the lab is just a home base, but hopefully future episodes will give it more meaning, which I do believe they will based off of the new opening.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
The 2nd worst series behind Unova so far if not for the surprising Ash captures. PWC sounds great on paper, but the battles have all been lackluster. Leon vs Lance was a boring 1v1 snooze fest. Best battle so far has been vs Korrina and that was mediocre because the writers though Goh catching Flabebe was worth jobbing Gengar. Better PWC would be to have only the top 1000 trainers invited and the Rotom Phone rolls a dice to determine the number of Pokemon used in the battle.

The Pokemon Go elements do not belong in the anime universe. Goh still haven't struggled for anything and doesn't appear to anytime soon. I feel like I'm watching the animated recap of some Pokemon Go Youtuber's gameplay video with a bit of fanfiction thrown in during Goh episodes which have become synonymous with fillers so I can just look at episode pictures in the future. Speaking of fillers, they've been boring and repetitive with recycled plots from previous seasons. Just like Goh captures.

What's the point of Professor Cerise besides being Ash/Goh's landlord and the maybe-heroine's dad? If they're based in Kanto, Gary Oak asking Ash to help him with his research on rare/fossil/legendary Pokemon would be far more interesting. Or having Sonia or Professor Magnolia and making base camp in Galar.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I agree. They should also bring back the bgm from the past series as well particularly from the OS-DP era.
I think Dogasu mentioned once how he would have liked for them to use remixes from whatever specific region each episode is set in. So, Sinnoh BGM in Sinnoh episodes, Kalos BGM in Kalos episodes etc... But no, outside of that one scene with Mega Lucario (which, props to them, was music from a Kalos era movie), they've stuck entirely to Hayashi's new tracks, which outside of the main theme only seem to have rearranged tracks from Sword & Shield. Really hoping they shake it up soon. If not by bringing back more old BGM, then at least by introducing new tracks.