• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
It had a really rough start but has definitely improved since then. I'm really on the fence about it still though. On the one hand there have been some great episodes, on the other, a bunch just feel like it's wasting time, despite having so much great potential. I feel like every handful of episodes there's one to be really excited about, and sometimes those deliver in a big way and my interest is renewed, but sometimes they kind of flop and it's hard to maintain interest for the next exciting one. While I like Ash and Go, I don't feel like the 2 alone can always keep up my interest in filler episodes the way that Sun and Moon's bigger cast could. Sometimes yes, but not always.

In that regard, I feel like we're in a really tricky phase of the show right now, because while I'm super excited for the Alola return and the Bea rematch, I'm worried that they'll mishandle the focus of those episodes and not give these plots time to breathe, which is definitely a problem this series has had before. If they spend a bunch of time on the Go and Kiawe fight instead of showing us more of the classmates, and if Ash is suddenly far more capable to fight Bea with no clear training done, it'll especially make some of the episodes leading up to it look worse in hindsight, since we'll know they had time to devote to fleshing these plots out that they didn't use.

So yeah, I've kind of been going back and forth a lot on it for basically the whole run. But again, it improved dramatically on the baseline after they introduced the PWC and Leon.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
The latest episode of Pocket Monsters just confirms to me how much better Goh's goal could be. Literally, just make it an effort, force him to struggle and come up with ways to catch Pokemon. It doesn't have to be an entire episode dedicated to him catching it, but at least let him fight them for crying out loud. The fact that they don't do this more often with Goh is incredibly frustrating and annoying. It would make his goal so much more interesting.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
The latest episode of Pocket Monsters just confirms to me how much better Goh's goal could be. Literally, just make it an effort, force him to struggle and come up with ways to catch Pokemon. It doesn't have to be an entire episode dedicated to him catching it, but at least let him fight them for crying out loud. The fact that they don't do this more often with Goh is incredibly frustrating and annoying. It would make his goal so much more interesting.

A goal is good as long as you are struggling and is forced to work for it, so far go was catching most of his pokemon just by throwing a pokeball and the pokemon were captured, he never had to work hard for it so it looked pretty cheap. Now in recent episode they have made him work hard which made flygon's capture look well earned for go.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

I think if this episode - and what we've seen from/learned about the next one - is any indication, it seems like the production crew finally hit the stride on how to deal with the series' format and Goh's goal.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think if this episode - and what we've seen from/learned about the next one - is any indication, it seems like the production crew finally hit the stride on how to deal with the series' format and Goh's goal.
And it only took a little under forty episodes. I mean, it's not bad, I've seen plenty of shows that take longer to really hit their stride and they turned out pretty great but still, it took a long time.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
And it only took a little under forty episodes. I mean, it's not bad, I've seen plenty of shows that take longer to really hit their stride and they turned out pretty great but still, it took a long time.
The thing is, we don't even know if this is the turning point. Might be that Goh's goal becomes more compelling to watch, but it's just as likely the writers go back to their old ways and take another forty episodes for an actually interesting Goh capture.

Ultra Beast Lover

The thing is, we don't even know if this is the turning point. Might be that Goh's goal becomes more compelling to watch, but it's just as likely the writers go back to their old ways and take another forty episodes for an actually interesting Goh capture.
Sad part is I can totally see this happening.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
The writers should just admit they rebooted (Rabooted) the series with this Kanto kid with a receding hairline as the MC instead of insisting Ash and Goh are "co-protagonists". The only reason they kept Ash was to keep the viewership of old fans.

Nobody outside of fanboys will even remember 1/10 of the Pokemon he has or the way he caught them. The writers wrote themselves into a corner making his goal to catch ALL Pokemon. There's nothing compelling about that. Catching all Pokemon of one region or one type would've been 100x better for the pacing. Shiny Hunter had a way more interesting goal and should've been the new companion.

ShadowForce720

The writers should just admit they rebooted (Rabooted) the series with this Kanto kid with a receding hairline as the MC instead of insisting Ash and Goh are "co-protagonists". The only reason they kept Ash was to keep the viewership of old fans.

Nobody outside of fanboys will even remember 1/10 of the Pokemon he has or the way he caught them. The writers wrote themselves into a corner making his goal to catch ALL Pokemon. There's nothing compelling about that. Catching all Pokemon of one region or one type would've been 100x better for the pacing. Shiny Hunter had a way more interesting goal and should've been the new companion.

Not really, and really the only reason the Shiny Hunter doesn’t get flak is because he is not part of the main cast and not showing up in every episode.

If he had been in Go’s spot instead people would just be giving the Shiny Hunter as much flak as they give Go if not more.

Literally the only difference between Go’s Goal and the Shiny Hunter’s Goal is that the Shiny Hunter specifically wants the shiny version of every Pokémon.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
Not really, and really the only reason the Shiny Hunter doesn’t get flak is because he is not part of the main cast and not showing up in every episode.

If he had been in Go’s spot instead people would just be giving the Shiny Hunter as much flak as they give Go if not more.

Literally the only difference between Go’s Goal and the Shiny Hunter’s Goal is that the Shiny Hunter specifically wants the shiny version of every Pokémon.
How would Shiny Hunter get more flak? His Pokedex was a fraction of what Goh's was so he wouldn't be spamming captures down our throats with every moving Pokemon he saw. Since shinies are extremely rare, captures would be spaced out and each Pokemon would get a proper episode. The reactions would be more "wow, he caught that" instead of "get this capture over with already".

Goh's goal is to catch Mew. He's based on Go so the mechanic to encounter Mew should be similar to that shitty game. Prof. Cerise should've told that kid that since Mew is a Kanto Pokemon, he should just fill the Kanto Dex.

ShadowForce720

How would Shiny Hunter get more flak? His Pokedex was a fraction of what Goh's was so he wouldn't be spamming captures down our throats with every moving Pokemon he saw. Since shinies are extremely rare, captures would be spaced out and each Pokemon would get a proper episode. The reactions would be more "wow, he caught that" instead of "get this capture over with already".

Goh's goal is to catch Mew. He's based on Go so the mechanic to encounter Mew should be similar to that shitty game. Prof. Cerise should've told that kid that since Mew is a Kanto Pokemon, he should just fill the Kanto Dex.

The reason why the Shiny Hunter doesn’t have that many Shinies is because he is not a main character. If he was in Go’s place they would either have him catching shinies pretty often or he would not be catching things to often.

Either way he would still get flak for cat shinies to often and easily or he would get flak for not being active enough.

It doesn’t matter who you try to swap out Go for because there going to get flak regardless because nothing would really actually change.

Not to mention the amount of flak the Shiny Hunter would get for getting Sobble. Getting rid of Go is not magically going to solve things.

Because at the end of the day we would still wind up in the same situation we are in now.

Yes, Go’s goal is to get Mew, however his goal is to also get every Pokémon the only difference between that and the Shiny Hunter’s goal is that the Shiny Hunter wants to get the shiny versions of all the Pokémon.

Last edited:

Master Pikachu 11

I would find his goal even more interesting if he would just evolve more of his Pokémon, his Exeggcute is a start but I want to see more of his Pokémon like Spearow and the Nidoran duo to evolve instead of catching the entire line like he did with Flygon, yes it’s quicker to fill your dex that way, but evolving your Pokémon all the way from its base stage is just more interesting to me.

Ultra Beast Lover

It'd be more compelling if Go was catching Pokemon after he befriended them, and his personal rule would be to only catch the ones he befriends if they agree to it. This allows for failure where he gets so close to getting the one Pokemon he really wants but the Pokemon doesn't want to go with him. Or, better yet, Go only goes after rare Pokemon and brings them to the lab to study them, protect them, and make them stronger so they can protect themselves from poachers. This would make it interesting if he came across the chimeras, creating personal conflict between himself and whoever made them.

Ultra Beast Lover

I didn't mind serious Ash though I get why not everyone liked it. Personally I liked it because, as someone who had watched the series for so long, I was ready for Ash to act like a veteran trainer. That and I started to prefer the more serious stories, I still enjoy comedies and fluff but I also like when a story gets dark and has lasting consequences for the characters both good and bad, so I was ready for Pokemon to follow suit. It has gotten more serious but it's always going to be a silly adventure at the end of the day with only implied consequences.

Observer

Mostly watching
I didn't mind serious Ash though I get why not everyone liked it. Personally I liked it because, as someone who had watched the series for so long, I was ready for Ash to act like a veteran trainer. That and I started to prefer the more serious stories, I still enjoy comedies and fluff but I also like when a story gets dark and has lasting consequences for the characters both good and bad, so I was ready for Pokemon to follow suit. It has gotten more serious but it's always going to be a silly adventure at the end of the day with only implied consequences.

Same here, I don't think he was that serious like some people have been saying he was still the same Ash.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I wasn't a particularly big fan of how..."glorified" Ash was in XY, if that is the right word? Don't get me wrong, Ash deserves some serious respect for his achievements. But it's like, first, his female companion, Serena, was a girl who had romantic feelings for him. Then there was Clemont admiring Ash and wanting to be more like him. Hell, Ash even got a junior rival who was inspired by him and admired him. Even Lysandre ended up capturing Ash because Ash was special in some way, and not to mention Ash getting his own special transformation with Greninja. It felt like the staff went out of their way to make Ash look cool and special in XY, and it simply felt off to me.

I do love how competent he was in XY, the battles were nice.