• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

LucasMV

The battles have been extremely boring and underwhelming. Need to bring back the XY dynamic camera and battle choreography.

That's actually something I've thought about too. Why is it that after XY battles having the real enviroment moving as background, they went back to a generic background for most attacks that seems like a step backwards?

I don't know, but I feel like this series' animation is not so good. Only a few scenes in a few battles had nice animation, like some in the Korrina fight (but not most, even in that fight). Gengar vs Raichu also had some nice animation.
Do they have a smaller budget now than they had for XY? Because I have to agree that battles looked better in XY than in JN, generally speaking.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm not sure on how the budget for fight scenes work, like is there a separate budget just for fight scenes? I mean it makes sense that it'd cost money, fight scenes, especially with the ones with powers, are probably pretty strenuous to draw and animate. It could be that the anime had to make things simpler to save on money or because the staff was getting overworked.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't have a problem with battles in this series, at least not when it comes to choreography and animation. I'm somewhat irked that Satoshi's battles against the lower ranked trainers are generally short, but that can be justified by the fact that most of the trainers that he's been fighting aren't very strong.

D

Deleted member 384931

How I think about this series? Since it is almost 50 episodes in I can make a fair judgement now.

This series has/had potential, some things felt very promising (example: Farfechted). Yet, they fail to deliver good stories (Sword and Shield arc) and rely on nostalgia and hype to draw in viewers (Mewtwo, Alola gang, Korrina, Zapdos).

They fail to use regions in a good and balanced way (2 Unova episodes in 50 ep says enough). The dynamic between Satoshi and Gou is good, yet Koharu is not treated as a good secondary character.

The Pokémon World Championships is a nice concept, but it fails to deliver and is featured as afterthought sometimes.

Gou's goal is something I could care less about. It is boring, no progress at all, yet they seem to make more Gou focussed episodes compared to Satoshi ones.

My impression is that it is a mixed bag right now. It is not great, but not bad either. Actually this is the first series I skip episodes. After I finish most episodes my expression is : That was it?

6/10 is my score for now.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I'm just going to sum up my feelings based on a post I saw on Twitter:

"It honestly feels like the writing staff are outright RELUCTANT to prominently feature gen 8 Pokemon and concepts

Ash's only Galar Pokemon barely gets any screen time and is the least relevant of his team. Team Rocket has no consistent new mons, just a Morpeko that apparently lives in their base now, but it's only briefly cameod twice since it first appeared.

Galar only rarely shows up, and there was bare minimal build up to the SWSH arc, and it seems we're moving on from that very quickly in favour of spotlighting another Kanto Pokemon (Mewtwo). And Goh's only Galar Pokemon that have prominent roles are two of the Starters... Grookey hasn't shown up a year into the show, whereas even in series where the Starters aren't all caught immediately, they at least appeared early on.

And Yamper's the only other prominent SWSH Mon with a recurring role really.

Like... I get wanting to feature every region, but it feels like they could still do a better job spotlighting the current Generation and Pokemon that haven't been adapted, and the games that haven't already had entire shows devoted to covering and fleshing out their regions.

It comes off like gen 8 is a burden to the writers."

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
7.5/10 for “Season 1” (even if it hasn’t ended but I dont need that to hit to know what it’ll be) Needs less Kanto. Way less Kanto. Oh and Lucario needs to be sidelined in the future, like a Lycanroc and Torracat scenario.
Now to see what “Season 2” holds.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
4/10 at best for the first year, slightly better than XY 's first year imo. Too much Kanto and Riolu/Lucario pandering, the continuity is all over the place but is a little better now, don't care for Ash or Goh, Team Rocket being absent is good but whenever they appear its mostly for generic filler reasons, needs more Chloe.

D

Deleted member 384931

I mean the continunity was pretty random:
-meeting Korrina at the batteling festival
-meeting the Aloloan gang cause Gou wanted to catch an A. Exegutor
-Chuck wasnt so random as it is his gym but still.
-Mewtwo, random?

The fact is that the regions arent equal. Kanto and Hoenn get all the focus, all the rest is underwelming. It is just sad, hope they improve

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
I mean the continunity was pretty random:
-meeting Korrina at the batteling festival
-meeting the Aloloan gang cause Gou wanted to catch an A. Exegutor
-Chuck wasnt so random as it is his gym but still.
-Mewtwo, random?

I suppose it could be viewed as random. At the very least, I admit that I never expected the old Mewtwo to return. As for human characters, a rather forgettable Gym Leader like Shijima returning was also unexpected, and I thought that more would've been done with Kaki and the other SM classmates.

D

Deleted member 384931

I suppose it could be viewed as random. At the very least, I admit that I never expected the old Mewtwo to return. As for human characters, a rather forgettable Gym Leader like Shijima returning was also unexpected, and I thought that more would've been done with Kaki and the other SM classmates.
Yeah, I get that. The flashback scenes are nice I guess

D

Deleted member 384931

I have rewatched episodes and this is the points I give them (will add them after each episode) :

JN001:6/10. JN011:6/10. JN021:7/10. JN031:3/10.
JN002:8/10. JN012:7/10. JN022:5/10. JN032:4/10.
JN003:3/10. JN013:7/10. JN023:4/10. JN033:5/10.
JN004:7/10. JN014:7/10. JN024:6/10. JN034:8/10.
JN005:7/10. JN015:5/10. JN025:9/10. JN035:4/10.
JN006:3/10. JN016:8/10. JN026:1/10. JN036:8/10.
JN007:9/10. JN017:7/10. JN027:7/10. JN037:7/10.
JN008:4/10. JN018:8/10. JN028:6/10. JN038:4/10.
JN009:3/10. JN019:2/10. JN029:6/10. JN039:8/10.
JN010:6/10. JN020:4/10. JN030:4/10. JN040:6/10

JN041:1/10.
JN042:5/10.
JN043:4/10.
JN044:5/10.
JN045:7/10.

After some good episodes, there are bad fillers. It is a pattern.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I have rewatched episodes and this is the points I give them (will add them after each episode) :

JN001:6/10. JN011:6/10. JN021:7/10. JN031:3/10.
JN002:8/10. JN012:7/10. JN022:5/10. JN032:4/10.
JN003:3/10. JN013:7/10. JN023:4/10. JN033:5/10.
JN004:7/10. JN014:7/10. JN024:6/10. JN034:8/10.
JN005:7/10. JN015:5/10. JN025:9/10. JN035:4/10.
JN006:3/10. JN016:8/10. JN026:1/10. JN036:8/10.
JN007:9/10. JN017:7/10. JN027:7/10. JN037:7/10.
JN008:4/10. JN018:8/10. JN028:6/10. JN038:4/10.
JN009:3/10. JN019:2/10. JN029:6/10. JN039:8/10.
JN010:6/10. JN020:4/10. JN030:4/10. JN040:6/10

JN041:1/10.
JN042:5/10.
JN043:4/10.
JN044:5/10.
JN045:7/10.

After some good episodes, there are bad fillers. It is a pattern.
what's with the highlighted ones?

Mythical-Moonlight

Journeys is still on it's 1st Season so I'll hold my judgement til we get to the 3rd year but I like what I see so far.

Ash and Gou's dynamic is sweet. The World Tour setting is a refreshing change of pace. Chloe is probably the most interesting anime-exclusive Character I've seen in a while.

It definitely has a few glaring issues tho that I can't ignore tho.

The most notorious being the unbalanced focus on Ash's Team (Poor G. Farfetch'd)

Or the unbalanced focus on Galar Pokémon in general. (How the heck have we met Cinderace before we even meet GROOKEY?)

BUT like I said. It's only in first Season and it has plenty of time to change that

PsychoLogical

Journeys is still on it's 1st Season so I'll hold my judgement til we get to the 3rd year but I like what I see so far.

Ash and Gou's dynamic is sweet. The World Tour setting is a refreshing change of pace. Chloe is probably the most interesting anime-exclusive Character I've seen in a while.

It definitely has a few glaring issues tho that I can't ignore tho.

The most notorious being the unbalanced focus on Ash's Team (Poor G. Farfetch'd)

Or the unbalanced focus on Galar Pokémon in general. (How the heck have we met Cinderace before we even meet GROOKEY?)

BUT like I said. It's only in first Season and it has plenty of time to change that
To this day, I still think that the only reason for the really unbalanced focus of Ash's current roster was due to them overfocusing Riolu out of wanting it to be a Lucario as soon as possible (for the most obvious reason aka marketing). And I guess Gengar and Dragonite are considered to be the powerhouses at the time and thus didnt want Ash to use them as much for the time being due to him still being low on the rankings and hes been mainly battling small fry trainers. Idk wtf they're doing with the duck, although I'm actually confident that it'll get its time to shine sometime in "season 2" soon enough due to them still needing to debut Sirfetch'd.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The order on which they were captured was also off. Right after the captures of 2 fully evolved, powerful pokémon, he gets a baby and a not-fully evolved pokémon. Had Riolu came first, then Farfetch'd, Gengar and Dragonite, it'd be feel a bit more coherent in my opinion.

PsychoLogical

The order on which they were captured was also off. Right after the captures of 2 fully evolved, powerful pokémon, he gets a baby and a not-fully evolved pokémon. Had Riolu came first, then Farfetch'd, Gengar and Dragonite, it'd be feel a bit more coherent in my opinion.
Ye tbh... I’m inclined to agree. But no matter, it really doesn’t matter now since it’s somewhat over since Lucario has already arrived. Now I guess to see if they’re going to start doing the Lycanroc-Torracat scenario where they start shifting focus after one has done their part and then it’s shifted to another until another replacement arrives starting at post JN050 which is considered the start of “season 2”.

D

Deleted member 384931

Ye tbh... I’m inclined to agree. But no matter, it really doesn’t matter now since it’s somewhat over since Lucario has already arrived. Now I guess to see if they’re going to start doing the Lycanroc-Torracat scenario where they start shifting focus after one has done their part and then it’s shifted to another until another replacement arrives starting at post JN050 which is considered the start of “season 2”.
Wonder what Satoshi's next mon could be, I hope no fighting type

Mythical-Moonlight

To this day, I still think that the only reason for the really unbalanced focus of Ash's current roster was due to them overfocusing Riolu out of wanting it to be a Lucario as soon as possible (for the most obvious reason aka marketing).
Why not just give him a Lucario right off the bat then?
No need to even bother going through the Riolu stage to even begin with