1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Rock Captain 99, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

Normally, I would agree, and the first few episodes (i.e. most of them until Episode 10) were less than exciting for me. But some future episodes look like they have some potential and we've already seen Ash get a capture, and a seemingly powerful one at that. Personally, I'm waiting to see what Episodes 12 and 13 bring to the table before judging this series. But Episodes 12 and 13 better get the ball rolling in terms of an overarching story or quest for Ash.

Leonhart likes this.
  2. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Agreed. And it's been particularly extreme for this series because really, after a strong second episode, the show quickly fell into a rut and didn't really show much promise long-term again until episode 10. Now some have said that, for a show that's gonna last for three years at least, it's only fair that it would take a while for it to really get going... But ten episodes is nearly three months. Do you really expect anyone who isn't already invested in this franchise to keep coming back every week for three months just in the hope that the show might do something interesting? Even assuming that past this point the recent promising signs do keep getting followed up on and the show turns into the best Pokémon anime ever, that limping start will always be there as a point against it.

3. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Same. I mean, it keeps some sort of fun free range storytelling from SM, but I think it misses out on a lot of the 'meat' of SM, that while there were lots of 'antic' plots over goal focus, the overall storytelling was more character driven and built on several recurrent motifs to keep some consistency, some of which were even established by this early point, not to mention its penchant for more quiet contemplative episodes that dabbled in more poignant subjects. Pikachu's backstory I suppose is KINDA this but didn't really build his character much. Otherwise PK 2019 feels closer to previous series' action format but goal focus thrown out near completely in favour of being far more episodic and slightly less formula restrictive.

Not to mention a Kanto Pokemon that's already been caught by a main character before. I think it would have been easier to get excited about if it was a previous gen mon that hadn't got its chance in the limelight before or even just a Galarian form of a previous one. I mean there is Eevee nearly every series, but at least that can be raised in several different ways.

At least he's using Mimey though, nice to have that call back.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    TheWanderingMist and Leonhart like this.
  4. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Dragonite was exciting for a lot of people though, given how much it was trending on social media when it happened. Easily one of the biggest curveballs in this series

Also due to the sheer amount of opportunities it presented.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

You're obviously free to not watch this series, I was just making a point that the first episode of this series wasn't a good representation of what the rest of the series is like. If I were in your shoes, I would've at least watched the first half dozen or so episodes before deciding to quit.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  6. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

It's not a bad thing, but it does seem like a hurdle that's already been crossed by the show. Iris caught a Dragonite three series ago, while Ash caught Goodra, basically it's Kalos counterpart, in XY. SM meanwhile had Melmetal, Shaymin and Naganadel all in one go. We know at this point that the main cast are allowed to catch really elusive Pokemon, it's probably the key reason Go aiming for Mew has even the mildest suspension of disbelief.

J. D. Guy and Leonhart like this.
  7. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Yes but this time Dragonite was his first capture. All of those Pokemon you listed came much later in their respective series.

8. Jibanyan

Jibanyan Well-Known Member

Dragonite is the first pseudo, lots of people excited about this capture had Red and Blue as their first Pokemon game and for them Dragonite was a cool and strong Pokemon and was used by Lance (a Elite 4 member and later the Champion) so this is why people liked the capture plus he got it as a Dragonite, got it early into the series and was a Pokemon people thought he would never capture since he was done getting Kanto Pokemon years ago.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I personally don't view Kairyu with rose-tinted glasses unlike some fans on social media, so to me Satoshi acquiring it a couple of weeks ago was more of a surprise due to how the capture seemed to come out of left field. In hindsight though, it feels right that Satoshi would catch a fully-evolved Dragon-type Pokemon as his first capture of the series since this series isn't structured like past sagas, so pretty much anything goes.

10. SH65

SH65 Victory Over All!

If its going to take 3 to 4 months for a show to have a idea of whats its doing then I don't kind it worth it to keep going.

The job of the first episode is to get you hooked if it fails then why would I watch more?

janejane6178 likes this.
  11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

They really should have aired episodes 1 & 2 together. But "getting someone hooked" is not the same as "having a quick plot", which is what most of the complaints about this series so far have been about.

12. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

Glad things are starting to pick up following the Dragonite episode but it is concerning it took around ten episodes to do so (roughly two months). If you are not already an invested fan of Pokémon you may have ditched Pokémon Monsters 2019 before the more interesting episodes are aired.

13. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

I guess that's why people simply avoid all filler and watch from a safe distance.

(Like me!)

14. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Im shocked that we havent seen the other two starters yet...
    I guess I know which starter is the writers' favourite...

wolf jani likes this.
  15. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

It got fire. Fire is what they really like. It's the reason why it always has the spotlight one way or another.

wolf jani and janejane6178 like this.
  16. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Well that's too bad cuz I want to see cutie Sobble in the anime :p

17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I don't think it's a matter of them playing favorites, though. I feel like all the Starter Pokemon are generally popular compared to most of the common Pokemon. Judging by recent merchandise, Sarunori and Messon might appear soon enough.

Weavy and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  18. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Following the dreams!!

Things have surely started to pick up after episode 10, and this series has the potential to be the best till date!!

19. Henry's Journey

Henry's Journey Well-Known Member

It has significantly gotten better!! I agree with Rock Captain it has the potential to be the best series so far, we'll see how it goes from here.

20. Flypikachu

Flypikachu Member

I agree I feel like it is getting better as time goes on. I also like how they've set up Leon to be an obstacle Ash has to overcome. (I.E: Ash stated that battling against Leon and winning is the first step to becoming a Pokemon Master). I really do hope that in the tournament, Ash ends up using his previous Pokemon, especially as he climbs higher. I still feel like it would be a missed opportunity, and still not quite sure why they are avoiding him visiting or mentioning his previous Pokemon, but I am holding on to the hope that this will change in the future.