• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Hey guys!

What are your thoughts for the current anime now after watching some episodes? Are they different from your thoughts you had before the anime started? Discuss.

I request you guys to be polite and respect other users thought and opinion too!!

Master Pikachu 11

My thoughts are that this series is ok so far, I would like there to be a direction to see where their plans are for Ash and Go especially Ash. I was hoping that doing this world tour again that there would be some mention of continuity or even at the very least we would see Ash use his old Pokémon again. I know Mimey was used and did a great job battling, but based on the episode it doesn’t appear to me that he caught it himself and he just borrowed his mother’s Pokémon, which I guess is ok for this battle, but I just hope that Ash starts catching or using Pokémon that he owns more often and will give it until 20 episodes to see what they plan on doing with Ash.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Honestly I think people are freaking out a bit and need to take a breath. There is still plenty of anime left for Ash to catch things and for Go to battle more. We're only 7 episodes in, it's too early to call it a failure or bad.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
My first impression was positive as soon as I saw Go in the poster and I'm currently really enjoying the series. Hope it keeps up.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
It's okay.

I had higher expectations than this, and I think the principal issue is that the writers aren't taking full advantage of this concept. If the story goes on being like this, then I'd rather they just made another Galar anime. Like, originally I was thrilled, I felt like 'oh wow, the writers are doing something fun!', but now I'm just like 'what's the point?'.

We'll see what happens in the next episodes, we're still very early in the series, so things might turn around.

VoltTacklingPika

I had higher expectations than this, and I think the principal issue is that the writers aren't taking full advantage of this concept. If the story goes on being like this, then I'd rather they just made another Galar anime. Like, originally I was thrilled, I felt like 'oh wow, the writers are doing something fun!', but now I'm just like 'what's the point?'.

This is how I feel, too.

The premise promised a lot but seven episodes in they haven't done anything with it. Opportunities to bring up old ideas that were unexplored or revisiting an old location have been spurned, but there's been a distinct lack of interesting new content to take its place. Like how in the recent episode when they go to the Battle Frontier, make zero mention or reference to Ash's history with it, and then proceed to have the most vanilla tournament possible with no new Pokemon, moves, or anything on display. What was the point of going to the Battle Frontier if this was all they were going to do there? I'd have preferred it if they just made a brand new location instead.

There's a limit to what we should expect when it comes to this show's history, but right now I'm feeling like these old things are being referenced and name-dropped purely as nostalgia bait and I don't like it. It's a shame because I like Gou, and I want to see more of Koharu, but the story they're in feels slapdash and shallow. They're going from Galar, to Hoenn, to Sinnoh, to Johto... but for what? It feels like they're drawing names out of a hat and basing their episodes on that instead of trying to tell a coherent story with some sort of end goal in mind.

This isn't to say there haven't been good things so far, but these seven episodes have been incoherent to say the least, and as yet I'm struggling to pinpoint what this show actually wants to be.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I liked how the anime had consistent continuity from the OS to the end of DP and it actually felt like it was realistically one big journey (until the final DP episode.) Ever since the first BW episode the anime has felt different, more alien and artificial like and its continuity has been awful and inconsistent. It feels like the Ash Ketchum coma theory is actually true and the anime is at the part of the theory where Ash's mind is starting to deteriorate.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Pretty much enjoyed them
I never expected heavy continuity in this series, we even got a saga about kanto in bf ,yet the kanto feel like another region
So I'm pretty much enjoyed the direction where the series going

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Underwhelmed. Was already skeptical about this but gave it the benefit of the doubt as I thought there would be arcs for each region (so like a dozen in Kanto, then Johto, etc) with the occasional reference to past characters, Pokémon, or events. I can’t help but feel bored after every episode because there’s no end goal here and constantly jumping back and forth between regions doesn’t feel as good as it could’ve been. I would’ve taken a Galar based saga instead

Kein

AKA Silktree
I don't mind the impression that the series is more about Go than Ash. Let's face it, Ash is at the point where he could build a team that would make it plausible for him to win virtually any battle, but that doesn't mean that it would be all that interesting to watch as hardly any growth would be involved. I want him to do something different rather than an 8th badge quest with the only major difference being Dynamax. I hope that the Ho-Oh episode sets up a new goal.

Go is cool. As long as he interacts with all of his Pokemon pretty frequently and trains some of them, he can catch as many as he wants. I do think that the writers should focus on more difficult captures like Venonat and Scyther's.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Underwhelmed on a conceptual level because of missed opportunities, but I've actually really liked the episodes themselves (aside from 6, which was kinda bland)

mockingjay

swift and lol
I was very excited originally as this concept seemed unique and it seemed like something that the writers would have used in their favour to produce a great story.

Now all I wonder is who the hell behind the scenes approved of this and thought this was okay?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Before the anime started: I was disappointed there's no main Pokegirl, especially that the "interesting" spotlights from them in the last 2 series were lacking, and I knew Go was a boy despite his eyelashes. Artstyle was cool, as I was fine with XY & SM artstyles despite their differences.

Now: I had zero expectations from the show after XY, so I only watch it for entertainment, but I thought the flow between episodes is kinda messed up. Go is a fun character, although the writers should make him a little bit more consistent about his skills. Episode 6 made him too good about capturing Pokemons but next one made him so bad that he couldn't land a hit against the rival.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Before the anime started: I was disappointed there's no main Pokegirl, especially that the "interesting" spotlights from them in the last 2 series were lacking, and I knew Go was a boy despite his eyelashes. Artstyle was cool, as I was fine with XY & SM artstyles despite their differences.

Now: I had zero expectations from the show after XY, so I only watch it for entertainment, but I thought the flow between episodes is kinda messed up. Go is a fun character, although the writers should make him a little bit more consistent about his skills. Episode 6 made him too good about capturing Pokemons but next one made him so bad that he couldn't land a hit against the rival.
There's a big difference between catching Pokemon and battling them. Not to mention that aside from Scyther and Pinsir, Go caught what are essentially the easiest Pokemon to catch.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
There's a big difference between catching Pokemon and battling them. Not to mention that aside from Scyther and Pinsir, Go caught what are essentially the easiest Pokemon to catch.
Meh, he would still do decently if it was from the games when the Pokemons take their turns alternatively, and don't make actions in real time like in the anime, at least he knows the basics. Even against a live pro opponent in the games, a noob would still able to land a hit. To me, the anime scripted the outcome in such a way that they wanted Go to be most upset as possible.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Meh, he would still do decently if it was from the games when the Pokemons take their turns alternatively, and don't make actions in real time like in the anime, at least he knows the basics. Even against a live pro opponent in the games, a noob would still able to land a hit. To me, the anime scripted the outcome in such a way that they wanted Go to be most upset as possible.
The anime isn't and has never been the games. It's not shocking the anime wanted to hand the arrogant kid a dose of reality by having him lose badly.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The anime isn't and has never been the games. It's not shocking the anime wanted to hand the arrogant kid a dose of reality by having him lose badly.
It still bothers me that he was too good to capture Pokemons despite his 1st journey. They could made him struggle a little bit to capture them and still be cocky for capturing Pokemons in a short time. I would find it more consistent that way, and wouldn't really mind his crushing defeat afterwards.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Was scared it was going to be SM 2.0 but I'm very happy with how it is now.

Xuxuba

I think the comedy peaked with OS while the story and the action peaked with DP and XY.

After those series, it only went downhill to the point where i actually felt physically bad watching such a crappy tv show and now i have no interest in the anime whatsoever.

Maybe someday i will return to watching it, like it happened when BW ended. But right now it is unlikely.