• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The two Leon episodes are much more interesting than the previous 10 but it’s still lacking. Hopefully it picks up in the next 10 or so

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
The two Leon episodes are much more interesting than the previous 10 but it’s still lacking. Hopefully it picks up in the next 10 or so
Only thing about that i like that Satoshi take his journey serious

Hanto

Water Addiction
New series is just completely lack any direction or genre, but has too much issues, at least for me.
1. No proper plot. In past series we had one major plot with some key goals for protagonists and minor arcs for both characters or events. Now Ash & Go's research tasks and missions are really pathetic and has no scientific value, that's just a stupid expanation for their region-hopping calamity. Mysterious dragonite island? Unexplored ruins with giant pokemon? Kaiju snorlax? Go send some kids without any expirience for it. Even if they stay alive what data except some dex entries and photos could they bring? At least in past series some professors were included in field research (both Junipers, Kukui, Birch) or gave protagonists more easy and suetable missions (delivery of objects etc).
2. No properly realized goals. Go wanna catch Mew? He does nothing for it. How catching of everything gonna help him obtain Mew? He should search for some ancient myths about it, research the Tree of Beginning, check for news about superpowerful shapeshifting pokemon, train his team for fight with Mew, he witnessed its power and how it totally wrecked Nidoking! Yeah, we've seen some equipment and computers in his home room in SS015, but that's nothing comparing to his goal's difficulty. Ash wanna be the #1 trainer and beat Leon? No training at all.
3. No proper region's nature and places of interest demonstration. Wyndon is the biggest city in Galar? Let's turn it into generic town in SS004. Visiting Snowpoint? Show us 2 seconds shot of its famous temple or the panoramic bird view of city instead of making it "random town #763490".
4. Depreciation of pokemon catching and training. Go randomly cathes everything he so with one pokeball throw and barely battles. Yeah, things like caterpie and skwovet can be catched with one ball throw, but pinsir/venomoth/darmanitan??? And Im not okay with Ash getting overpowered fully evolved pokemon with no room to grow and one-trait personality like "I'll hug anybody" or "evil angst ghost". Scorbunny learning Blaze Kick/evolving is also completely undeserved.
5. KANTO. Vermilion's new Melemele, Ash has 4 team members from the first generation and even majority of episodes takes place here.
6. Okkam's razor issues and unnecessary characters. Ash had Haunter he befriended in OS? Let's give him new Gengar. Ash had Rotom Dex (who could be the easiest continuity callback)? Let's give him another Rotom in his phone with zero personality, but an annoying voice. Even Sakuragi is so flat and boring. The new professor and mentor could be some previously created characters like Sonia/Magnolia/Willow. Koharu could easily be replaced by Green/Leaf/Gloria. Even some places got their carbon copies like the Ruins of Giants instead of Relic Castle.
7. Pitiful continiuty. Ash visited past series regions, but never mentioned he already was in Snowpoint/Castelia/battled Ecruatek gym. Even if the writers can't pay seiyus for their work just gave us silent cameos in the crowd. Benga could be the one who wanna cath Golurk instead of some random ranger girl, Candice could participate in Pokemon Ice Rally, Eugen or Morty could be seen in flashbacks of Ecruatek... Ash battles random Pisces NPC in Vermillion gym, not Surge, but he has Raichu. Team Rocket has Pelipper as gacha deliver, not Delibird. Recycling plots and wasted opportunities. And that's the series which has the biggest potential to show us links with past seasons! Even BW that got the most hatred here has more continiuty.
8. No reserves. Wanna defeat Leon and forgot about helluva of available battleready Pokemon in Oak's lab?
9. Cheap clickbaits. Croagunk and Piplup in the first Sinnoh ep, meaningless shots of Pidgeot flying across the Vermillion forest etc.
10. Little character development. Go's still can't battle and catch pokemon in the normal way (I know about Cubone's ep, but that's just a first stepping stone). Ash don't really interested in battles and ranking thing. Team Rocket is the appendice that need to be cut off.
11. Lack of interesting battles and plots by first 15 episodes (Imho). Some fanboys would call Ash VS Dande battle the major epic showdown, but that's just a Beam-o-War spamming. In BW Ash got his main rival, badges and met Zekrom, in XY became national hero on TV, in SM got Z-Ring from the deity...
I know I can sound way too harsh, but that's the first series Im not interested into. Too much expectaions, too much dissapointment and frustration. And Galar got short end of stick, even 2 of 3 starter mascots are missing in the main cast. Dont wanna rely on one region? Give us some quality episodes, maybe mini arcs for different regions/places, not that filler region-hopping. Wanna establish Ash as one of the strongest trainers and give him more vague goal instead of gym quest? Let him battle major strong trainers, not random Pisces or Houji. WE HAVE POKEMON WORLD TOURNAMENT, WE HAVE PASIO ISLAND.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Honestly this series could possibly be even worse than BW and XY. The region hopping feels too random and finishes up too quickly for me to become interested in them. They should have made each region hopping trip multiple episode arcs instead of just one episode trips. The continuity is way too inconsistent and it feels like the writing staff is going out of their way to avoid continuity. The baiting and rewritten continuity doesn't help things either. It also feels like this series is just the old OS-XY formulaic format with the "World Tour" replacing the traveling. Even the cotd/Team Rocket episodes have returned.
I honestly feel that this series is a waste of time and they should have just had a Galar series instead.

Leonhart

Imagineer
GouBunny said:
I'm all for a new protag since Ash was getting meh. Not being tied down to Galar is also nice

I wouldn't see the harm in a whole saga set in Galar, as long as it hadn't been as predictable as some of the previous sagas. For instance, if Gou had challenged the Galar Gyms in place of Satoshi while Satoshi focused on other matters, that could've worked.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Team Rocket has Pelipper as gacha deliver, not Delibird.

That's my major gripe and it's not like Delibird was some minor Rocket element. He was actually a major recurring character and stuck around long after other Rocket stuff got shoved aside, appearing in DP to take Yanma and appearing again in Best Wishes, replacing him with Pelipper was just plain dumb. Especially as I doubt they'll actually bother to flesh out Pelipper like they did Delibird, in his freaking debut episode!

And there's things they aren't bothering to touch on. In episode 10 they just flat out left Wailord behind and I'm pretty sure Bellsprout ran off too, how are they not getting in trouble for losing Pokemon the organization owns? And Chewtle, it didn't even get brought up at all! One can only hope it gets mentioned or appears in the Ditto episode, since they seemed to want to wait until episode 20 to establish their base of the series for whatever damn reason, if they actually gave it to Giovanni that was literally the first thing he didn't send back... would have been nice to see and if it got rejected like Togepi and Yanma well, that also would have been nice to see.

And yes, Benga should have debuted in the Unova episode in place of the girl COTD

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ahhh Benga. I have such fond memories of wanting to kick his ass in the white treehollow and succeeding. He's also amazing in the PokeSpe manga. Really want him to appear

Honestly this series could possibly be even worse than BW and XY. The region hopping feels too random and finishes up too quickly for me to become interested in them. They should have made each region hopping trip multiple episode arcs instead of just one episode trips. The continuity is way too inconsistent and it feels like the writing staff is going out of their way to avoid continuity. The baiting and rewritten continuity doesn't help things either. It also feels like this series is just the old OS-XY formulaic format with the "World Tour" replacing the traveling. Even the cotd/Team Rocket episodes have returned.
I honestly feel that this series is a waste of time and they should have just had a Galar series instead.

I mean if it was just a galar series it would be more like XY and BW. Sure rn world tour episodes aren't that exciting, but still they are unique fillers and more exciting compared to if it was just a galar anime. Ash is catching unique mons too. And honestly, since it's a world tour, him being a world champion seems a next step for him. If it was galar focused only it just would be ash wanting to win the league and defeat Leon.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I highly disagree about this series being worse--this series is better than BW,SM and Johto so far. I agree that it's random with region hopping but it's entertaining so far. I agree it'd be much better if they stayed in one region for 10 episodes but this is still good.
I don't understand why no continuity means series is bad or good, but I find that stupid. Series can be amazing and have no continuity or be worst and have all continuity.
OS-XY formula can be good if done good. So far it's been doing pretty well.Still not as bad as many DP fillers or nowhere as bad as like those Johto fillers. Also we have formula of Go catching Pokemon which is entertaining and not just Ash and Go see a POtD and say goodbye, Go catches it. TR episodes aren't that constant which is good, but also it's good because TR are using Gachat which gives them different Pokemon each time so boring same Pokemon battling could be replaced..

D

Deleted member 384931

What I dont understand. So the first 10 episodes you travel 1 to Jotho, 1 to Sinnoh, 1 to Hoenn, 2 to Galatr and you stay 5 in Kanto.
Episodes 11-20, you travel 2 episodes to Galar and 1 to Unova, and stay 7 episodes in Kanto?

Where is the world tour concept? Where are Alola and Kalos?

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
What I dont understand. So the first 10 episodes you travel 1 to Jotho, 1 to Sinnoh, 1 to Hoenn, 2 to Galatr and you stay 5 in Kanto.
Episodes 11-20, you travel 2 episodes to Galar and 1 to Unova, and stay 7 episodes in Kanto?

Where is the world tour concept? Where are Alola and Kalos?
On the way.. you will see them soon!

mockingjay

swift and lol
the writers always seem like they're being adventurous and risky whenever we get a preview for a new series... then it ends up all being poorly executed

this series is a mess and idk what they were thinking - they had a genuinely cool concept for the series and they somehow made it so incredibly lifeless and boring?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Almighty Zard said:
I for one am enjoying it because it breaks molds and patterns and the unpredictability is refreshing after having multiple series in a row with the same formula.

I appreciate the change in formula as well, and I think that one of the reasons why I enjoy this series more than some other fans is because my expectations were never all-that high to begin with, so I'm just trying to go with the flow.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The only change I like is that there is only one companion, I hope they stick to that but make it a female companion for gen 9. And make the goal actually interesting instead of a snoozefest
And Ash's captures, it's nice seeing him catch old Pokemon. It should have happened during XY in fact, to showcase some Megas like Gengar and whatever else might be showcasing Gigantimax forms

Gacha machine is a bit bearable now but I still hope they get their own Pokemon that we can see them bond with and give some meaning to TRio centric episodes. But it's still stupid, probably wouldn't dislike it as much if it was Delibird dropping it off...
And thus far it looks like most if not all continuity will be tied to the OS or rather the Kanto half much like SM, Lance appearance and Surge mention(But no appearance -_-). While every region Ash has been to there hasn't been any "Hey, I've been there!" and that shitty Ho-oh episode to top it all off! Hopefully Kalos will be different and we can start seeing some proper Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova callbacks in Gary, May, Dawn/Paul/Cynthia, and Cilan.

And Ash's progression in his goal is just depressing. I hope they don't take as long as it did to reach his first World Tournament match for his other ones, and it'd be nice if they actually give him some physical awards every once in awhile so it feels like he is actually making progress. I HATED when he came out of the Ghost trial with nothing and if the trophy, assuming Ash even wins, is all that Ash gets? Well that's gonna just be even more depressing.

Koharu is great but appears too little, I'd rather SHE was the secondary main character while Go was the supporting one

Red and Blue

My only big gripe is too many episodes centered in Vermilion City. People keep saying we are stuck in Kanto but in reality it's only one location in Kanto. Assuming Ash fights other Kantonian trainers in the world championship I hope that changes soon.

Aside from that there is also the mysterious absence of Grookey and Sobble. I have no idea why the writers are waiting so long with those two