• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

So I've been catching up on the new series and while it's relatively fun, it feels like I'm honestly watching a lighthearted kid show(more than normal).

I just watched the Battle Frontier Glass Flute Cup and the battles were seriously underwhelming. In contrast, I watched the battle between Citroid and Clemont in Pokemon XY yesterday and it's a night and day difference.

Why they dropped the 3D camera is beyond me.

Oh well, it's not like I'm watching cause of the battles.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They managed to put a PWC battle in the children orientating event so I think this will fortunately be the case

Now they just need to start making more episodes where Go doesn't get team changes.
Ridiculous how few there have been....

Sidagam

This series has drawn me back in to the Anime. I used to watch every week, and while not perfect, XY/ XYZ was peak Anime for me. The main reason I watch this show is for Ash, his goals, his battles and his team development. XY/ XYZ did that best for me (DP a close 2nd, tad too long).

But when Sun & Moon came around, I lost interest very quickly. Ash seemed like a completely different character, there were too many side characters to focus on, he didn't have a defined goal, and while I did like his team and their personalities (particularly Litten/Torrocat and Lycanroc), if they were helping Ash towards some sort of goal from the start I would have enjoyed it more. That and the animation went from serious to childish overnight. It became a slice-of-life show, which Pokemon never felt like it should be. I will say that the league and its battles were quite enjoyable, particularly the last 2, and it was nice to see him win a league and beat Kukui.

And when the PM season started, I didn't like it at all. It just felt like the Go show, and Ash just followed him around and again had no goal. The Battle Frontier ep with the inclusion of Mimey peaked my interest. And then Ash caught Dragonite. Man did that completely change my excitement in one ep. I had been wondering what base stage Galar Pokemon Ash might catch first, and he catches a Pseudo Legendary from Gen 1! Blew all of my predictions out the window, and to me made everything much more exciting. Then we had the PWC reveal and the goal of battling Leon, with Ash travelling all over the place to battle good trainers, and now I'm absolutely hooked back in. Now with Gengar and almost certainly Riolu/ Lucario, it feels like anything is possible. This feels like XYZ/ Alola League Champion Ash from the get go. His first PWC battle was awesome, and I can't wait to see what his team looks like by the end of this and who he battles next! Bring it on.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
The battle animation this series is much better than previous series, but one thing I am not liking is how the Pokemon Ash is battling against belong to the same evolutionary line Ash already owns. Like Raichu is first battle, then Meganium and possibly Tauros in the next episode.

Raichu situation is still understandable, as this was the first battle, Pikachu would never evolve and further the main Pokemon was Electrode. But Meganium and Tauros? If they wanted to showcase that line, Ash could have brought back Bayleef and evolved it. Also, Tauros could have re-joined Ash for the battle too. But what we are getting is some CotDs showcasing those Pokemon!

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Initial thoughts: This could interesting to see a world tour instead of sticking to one region. Gou seems interesting.

Thoughts now: I kinda wish they'd play up the "Traveling around the World" aspects. They're primarily in Kanto. They really need to explore other regions (especially Galar)

Also I still don't know what on Earth they're doing with Koharu. Is she going to become a traveling companion or what? They certainly are taking their sweet time with her.

But aside from all that I'm liking this show. It got off to a slow start but it's finally starting to pick up.

D

Deleted member 384931

There could change a lot we are still in the 1st year

Hanto

Water Addiction
Im still pissed off that some cathes in Go’s roster that had personality and episodes dedicated to its captures are totally wasted and forgotten now. Scyther was a better battler than Scorbunny, Darmanitan was the beast, Go even bonded with Cubone, but all of them are background bots that could appear only in the lab episodes. Too bad Go has no party with him, just a mean Naruto rabbit.
And Ash’s Dragonite is the most boring, insignificant and unnecessary capture in Pokemon 2019 series. Gengar had some backstory and trust issues, Riolu feels like Froakie 2.0 Aura Edition, but Dragonite barely battles, lack any personality besides hugging obsession and already has a solid movepool and reached his final form. They better bring back Gible or make Ash get Dreepy/Trapinch, not that generic happy-go-lucky dragonite who is nothing comparing to Barney the Disobidient Sweeper.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Im still pissed off that some cathes in Go’s roster that had personality and episodes dedicated to its captures are totally wasted and forgotten now. Scyther was a better battler than Scorbunny, Darmanitan was the beast, Go even bonded with Cubone, but all of them are background bots that could appear only in the lab episodes. Too bad Go has no party with him, just a mean Naruto rabbit.
And Ash’s Dragonite is the most boring, insignificant and unnecessary capture in Pokemon 2019 series. Gengar had some backstory and trust issues, Riolu feels like Froakie 2.0 Aura Edition, but Dragonite barely battles, lack any personality besides hugging obsession and already has a solid movepool and reached his final form. They better bring back Gible or make Ash get Dreepy/Trapinch, not that generic happy-go-lucky dragonite who is nothing comparing to Barney the Disobidient Sweeper.
I'd love to see them more often, but you can't put everything in weekly 20 minute episodes

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Go's goal still remains boring and not-at-all compelling to watch. I have literally no investment in his "dreams" of getting Mew or every Pokemon. The Rabbifoot thing is like the only interesting thing to happen to his character, but even that will go to waste if Go just never uses Rabbifoot for battles and just lets him stand around as a mascot. I don't know why writers think that people care about Go randomly throwing Pokeballs and catching Pokemon without breaking a sweat.

Also, it would be lovely if the writers had the decency of letting some of Ash's other Pokemon, like Gengar or Dragonite (especially Dragonite), getting to do some battles against other PWC participants. I get that Pikachu is OP, but give me some variety, please.

Also for the love of God, get us the **** out of Kanto. No more Kanto, i'm so sick of this setting.

Xuxuba

Why they dropped the 3D camera is beyond me.

Oh well, it's not like I'm watching cause of the battles.
You know, i used to think that the main problem was the removal of the 3d camera, but now i think the problem is much deeper.

The battle choreography, for example, suffered a huge hit aswell.

Back in gen 6, it used to look like each trainer had it's own style, but they all fought with grace, almost as if they were dancing (in Tierno's case, literally dancing). Each battle displayed the trainer's personality very well, like Diantha whose style of battling was almost entirely non-verbal, very subtle and calm, as opposed to Ash for example, which had a very quick paced, intense and creative style. Even minor characters, such as Penelope, displayed their differences through battling.

Other series like DP were also able to do that very well, although the focus was far more on showing the personality through the strategy rather than through the choreography.

Each battle felt like a piece of art to the point that even someone like me who initially did not like action and was mostly interested in things such as contests, got hooked on aswell.

Now, i don't want to be unfair to the newer series, there were a few battles that were able to display the trainer's style, like Guzma battles, but then another problem arises aswell: how static and one-sided some of these *major* battles are. And by that i do not mean in a way of "oh this much stronger person anihilated the other, this is so stupid". But rather that sometimes it looks like the Pokémon is simply standing there, doing nothing, just waiting for the opponent to attack.

I mean, even if your opponent is weak, you would assume he would at least try to run and avoid the attack. And unless the pokémon is literally based on one of those punching bag dolls like Wobbuffet, i don't see why they must be so static nowadays. Maybe they just want to put all of the animations' effort on the slice of life moments? I don't really know.

To be fair though, back in the OS, the battles were very much like that aswell. But i see no excuse as to why we shouldn't have better fights by now.

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I like a lot when the trainers have personality when commanding their pokémon from XY onwards
Even SM with that "huge hit" makes the trainer scenes pre-BW look weirdly static. I think the battle choreography was downgraded mostly because of battles not being the focus of SM, even though PM isn't at XY level yet
But it still happens in SM fortunately, in the episode Lillie battles with Pikachu she moved in a very graceful way while commanding him(for some reason this didn't happen in the League)

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I don't mind Ash's captures per se but I hope they start interacting with one another soon. They so far feel disjointed with one another compared to SM and, to a lesser extent, XY.

You're right! Ash's Dragonite should give everyone single one of the Team a Hug at the end of each episode. Heck, throw Raboot in there while you're at it.

I'm being entirely serious :cool:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Dragonite hugged Pikachu last episode, so there's hope for Riolu and Gengar.

Go's goal still remains boring and not-at-all compelling to watch. I have literally no investment in his "dreams" of getting Mew or every Pokemon. The Rabbifoot thing is like the only interesting thing to happen to his character, but even that will go to waste if Go just never uses Rabbifoot for battles and just lets him stand around as a mascot. I don't know why writers think that people care about Go randomly throwing Pokeballs and catching Pokemon without breaking a sweat.

Also, it would be lovely if the writers had the decency of letting some of Ash's other Pokemon, like Gengar or Dragonite (especially Dragonite), getting to do some battles against other PWC participants. I get that Pikachu is OP, but give me some variety, please.

Also for the love of God, get us the **** out of Kanto. No more Kanto, i'm so sick of this setting.

To be honest I like Go. His character is cool and something I've been wanting in the anime for a long time. Also, his goal does have potential. Which is hindering is how the production crew handles it. By going with the mindset that Pokémon Go is "captures made easy for dummies" they made his captures feel stale, repetitive and not quite engaging at all. I can't help but wonder how it would be like if Go was trying captures the old-fashioned way. I feel like his goal would have a lot more potential and his quest would be more engaging if it was like that. It'd be a good contrast to Ash getting a character who is consistent about challenging and trying to catch everything he sees.

As for the other two paragraphs, I agree completly.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
To be honest I like Go. His character is cool and something I've been wanting in the anime for a long time. Also, his goal does have potential. Which is hindering is how the production crew handles it. By going with the mindset that Pokémon Go is "captures made easy for dummies" they made his captures feel stale, repetitive and not quite engaging at all.
I like Go too. His personality is fun and he works well with Ash. His goal has potential to be interesting, but, as you said, it's just handled very crappily and it's not engaging AT ALL. I think it just makes people more frustrated about Go.

Master Pikachu 11

Yes it’s time for Pikachu to take a step back, it’s acting like the Greninja of this series so far by hogging all the battles. I would love for it to not be used against Korrina but it unfortunately will. I would like Go to start using the Pokémon that he has more before he catches more Pokémon but that will not happen. Mimey also needs to be used again so that it shows me that they didn’t just use it as an excuse for not bringing back reserves and that they will utilize it more often.