• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Mew29240

Yes it’s time for Pikachu to take a step back, it’s acting like the Greninja of this series so far by hogging all the battles. I would love for it to not be used against Korrina but it unfortunately will. I would like Go to start using the Pokémon that he has more before he catches more Pokémon but that will not happen. Mimey also needs to be used again so that it shows me that they didn’t just use it as an excuse for not bringing back reserves and that they will utilize it more often.

I think the issue with Pikachu's overuse is that he was "necessary" for the PWC matches we've gotten so far:

SS018: Visquez was Ash's first PWC opponent and this episode made it a point to show that he and Ash were well-known legends at the Gym. Gengar was given a good showing, but Pikachu kinda had to take the victory here because of that. I think this would've been better if it was a 3v3 to give each of Ash's Pokemon a chance to battle. Could've given Visquez a Magneton/Mangezone or something. Their battle was already the focus of the episode; adding more Pokemon wouldn't have hurt.

SS020: Seiya was Ash's PWC opponent in what was essentially a "summary" episode where Ash & Gou reaffirmed their goals and showed off their progress (Ash's ranking and Gou's catch count). Can't really see any other Pokemon besides Pikachu participating in this one. There's also the issue of it needing to be a 1v1 to fit everything else in the episode.

SS021: Arguably the weakest reasoning, but last episode had Ash only releasing those "Aura waves" when battling. Ash battling with one of his other Pokemon would've made Riolu's whole "hatching for Ash" thing be a bit weaker. This episode also had the issue of needing the PWC to be a 1v1 to fit everything else.

The last two PWC battles were an afterthought to whatever else happened that episode and are the equivalent of Gou's capture of the day. Ash getting out of the Normal Class within a battle or two will hopefully mean battles with more Pokemon and more focus.

Nodame

Misty <3
I like Go too. His personality is fun and he works well with Ash. His goal has potential to be interesting, but, as you said, it's just handled very crappily and it's not engaging AT ALL. I think it just makes people more frustrated about Go.
What's the purpose of Go catching a bunch of Pokemon and just not using them? this is so boring and lame. He should at least have a proper team :x then lets talk.

Jibanyan

With past seasons, even Ash didn't get a Pokémon I liked, I was fine with his companions getting it because at least they would have some screentime and development but I'm scared of Gou getting Galar Pokémon I like because I know they aren't going to be used and will have so little screentime, not to mention Ash is not getting a full Galar team.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Yes it’s time for Pikachu to take a step back, it’s acting like the Greninja of this series so far by hogging all the battles. I would love for it to not be used against Korrina but it unfortunately will. I would like Go to start using the Pokémon that he has more before he catches more Pokémon but that will not happen. Mimey also needs to be used again so that it shows me that they didn’t just use it as an excuse for not bringing back reserves and that they will utilize it more often.
Forget just battling, I just need these Pokémon to start existing consistently and then not getting shoved in Sakuragi Park for gaps of episodes. Maybe SM spoiled me with Satoshi and the classmate’s Pokémon being out all the time and always getting screen time and moments with their trainers and casual developments. Yes, I want more battle time but I want more characters in general. PM only has two main characters on the cast and no TRio Pokémon to worry about. There’s no reason why they can’t just give us more screen time and proper non-episodic developments and focus for these Pokémon they do have. They’re doing good with Rabbifoot but it wouldn’t have been bad at all if Go had made Karakara or Spear permanent members of his team alongside the soccer bunny.

Satoshi’s Gengar and Kairyu just need to exist as more than necessary weapons for battle that get shelved after that. I still think the writers could have gotten way more mileage out of Kairyu by just having Satoshi work with it over time. It does feel odd this is meant to be the Pokémon World Championships and Satoshi’s team and Pokémon feel so disjointed. Go’s Pokemon are more so markers of his progress thus not team members but Satoshi’s are meant to be his players. So weird to hatch a baby Pokémon then it would potentially get ignored for a batch of episodes. There’s a clear style change in the handling of training, developments and captures and that can be felt. That being said I am looking forward to Koharu tagging along, the seeds are there and subtle foreshadowing in PM20 showed that once again.

If I could change Go’s goal it just needs more substance and effort. The Raid Battle capture was fun and great, focus on different Monster Balls, Safari Zones, bait item, Honey Trees, wild area, Headbutt trees, fishing, status moves and capture strategies. Explain how capturing all Pokémon builds him up to getting Mew? A shame Pokémon GO elements seem to take priority over the old fashioned game way of doing things. I’m hoping he and Calavari can have some episode where they duel over a Shiny Pokémon. PM is fun, I enjoy it, it just needs more substance and I feel like I get that via Rabbifoot and Koharu but everything else feels too “instant-gratification.” Satoshi has a Dynaband? Make him use it more and train with it. Don’t just wait to use it later on after a dozen episodes for example.

Last edited:

Master Pikachu 11

I think the issue with Pikachu's overuse is that he was "necessary" for the PWC matches we've gotten so far:

SS018: Visquez was Ash's first PWC opponent and this episode made it a point to show that he and Ash were well-known legends at the Gym. Gengar was given a good showing, but Pikachu kinda had to take the victory here because of that. I think this would've been better if it was a 3v3 to give each of Ash's Pokemon a chance to battle. Could've given Visquez a Magneton/Mangezone or something. Their battle was already the focus of the episode; adding more Pokemon wouldn't have hurt.

SS020: Seiya was Ash's PWC opponent in what was essentially a "summary" episode where Ash & Gou reaffirmed their goals and showed off their progress (Ash's ranking and Gou's catch count). Can't really see any other Pokemon besides Pikachu participating in this one. There's also the issue of it needing to be a 1v1 to fit everything else in the episode.

SS021: Arguably the weakest reasoning, but last episode had Ash only releasing those "Aura waves" when battling. Ash battling with one of his other Pokemon would've made Riolu's whole "hatching for Ash" thing be a bit weaker. This episode also had the issue of needing the PWC to be a 1v1 to fit everything else.

The last two PWC battles were an afterthought to whatever else happened that episode and are the equivalent of Gou's capture of the day. Ash getting out of the Normal Class within a battle or two will hopefully mean battles with more Pokemon and more focus.
The battle with Visquez was understandable to use Pikachu, but this will also be an excuse for why he will use it again against Korrina. You make good points for the last two battles, but for future battles, it needs to take a back seat because that is the only way Dragonite will be used in my opinion.

MissAngel

Drizzile=My Spirit Pokemon
First impressions: Sounds like a mess and an excuse to sell merchandise of Pokemon that didn't make it to Galar.

Current impressions: Same. It's not all disappointing (I like the evolution of the art style change from Sun and Moon, Go being a former recluse who is learning to make new human and Pokemon friends is promising, the battles are alright, they at least have tried to give Ash's team personalities so far) but for the most part (outside of 5 or 15) it's not entertaining me at all (though I will watch until the Sobble episode to see how they handle it).

Most that bothers me are subjective things (like not caring about the World Championship or dislike of the species of the first three new Ash captures) or have been covered better in this thread than I can articulate, but there is one thing that frustrates me despite it being something that I want to be invested in: Go's goal. I think I finally realized why I don't like it so far -- it's accurate to the collecting element of Pokemon but it just isn't narratively satisfying. Sure, it would be nice if he had to use different kinds of Pokeballs or kept more of them on hand, but most of them are always going to the lab so he can collect more. Quantity works in a game but not very well in a story. How is he benefiting as a character by catching all of these other than the numbers going up? Is he learning how to care for different Pokemon in preparation for Mew? Is he learning how to get better at catching psychic types or any other type since Mew can transform? If so, more battles against raid Pokemon will probably happen at least. Is it just desire for lots of friends? Well, he's got them now so other than episodes like 23 where he has to calm them down or other group scenarios, I don't know where else they can take it. Hopefully it's more interesting when he starts getting rarer Pokemon like fossils or maybe mythicals. I just want the catching to feel like he's developing from it as a person, which they will hopefully do something with long-term. I do like Go, though -- the episodes where he bonded with Scorbunny and Cubone were my favorites.

Last edited:

Mew29240

The battle with Visquez was understandable to use Pikachu, but this will also be an excuse for why he will use it again against Korrina. You make good points for the last two battles, but for future battles, it needs to take a back seat because that is the only way Dragonite will be used in my opinion.

I get what you mean! I'm actually of the mind that Ash won't use Pikachu against Korrina (at least against Mega Lucario) in their battle. For one thing, the shots we saw of Pikachu battling in the big preview were already used last episode. Secondly, we've already seen him battling Mega Lucario already. I feel like the writers will have it be in the same vein as Visquez's battle where we thought it's be a repeat of the OS, but they actually turned it around and had Gengar beat Raichu. So in this case, we'd believe that PIkachu would be in the battle, but will be pushed aside (like last episode) by Riolu, who wants to battle.

The way I think that battle will happen is it'll be a 2v2, where its Riolu and Gengar v. Korrina's Lucario and another Pokemon (Galarian Farfetch'd maybe?). Riolu practically forces itself into the tournament despite Ash's concerns because he hasn't managed to reign in its attitude yet. It will beat Korrina's first Pokemon (whatever it is) to show its strength, but will be swiftly defeated by Lucario without Mega Evolving. Gengar will come in for cleanup and Korrina will Mega Evolve against it. This will show Riolu how outclassed it was against Korrina's Lucario (not even going full power) and that it has a long way to go. This will hopefully make it a bit more cooperative with Ash's methods.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Same. I like Pikachu but it feels like since SM, they are overusing him.

I get they that after a season so focused on Ash's bond with another pokémon (Greninja), the production crew wanted to reinforce Ash's and Pikachu's connection (that's what ICY was all about) to the point we even got a whole episode dedicated to Ash and Pikachu spending quality time by themselves.

Now, between exclusive Z-moves , G-Max and the need to use PoGo's "buddy" pokémon feature, it feels like they are abusing his use.

Pikachu is a good mascot because he is neither invincible nor a "spotlight stealing squad". He can lose. He can take a seatback for other pokémon.

So it kind of saddens me they are too keen on PoGo's buddy mechanic.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
"Oh my god, it lost to a giant rock! LOLS, pathetic! Ash is back to being a noob again!"

But to be fair, it was a Rock. That's giant. It's going to be hard to top that.

Sword master zacian

This series has really grown on me in case of giving ash pokemon first dragonite,then gengar and now riolu and next sobble and grookey
Battles are also good
But they need to do something about go's goal he has captured 38 pokemon already in 21 episodes i can't even imagine how f***ing will this no. Be at the end
Ash almost spend a whole kanto jorney to get almost that no of which 30 were only tauros.
Hopefully go gets not more than 100-200 mons at end

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
He COULD lose if people didn't accuse him of being reset everytime he loses to a somewhat weaker pokémon

Maybe just maybe people wouldn't complain if it wasn't lame **** like a freaking Surskit or a level 5 fresh off the shelf Snivy he lost to when he brought a Latios to it's knees a few episodes ago?

It's nice that they're actually seeming to be a bit consistent with Pikachu's power for once but it's still such a bore seeing it going up against COTDs who we know he'll just roast. At least with Dragonite, Gengar, or Riolu we could have some thoughts like 'Oh, is Ash gonna lose?'.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Maybe just maybe people wouldn't complain if it wasn't lame **** like a freaking Surskit or a level 5 fresh off the shelf Snivy he lost to when he brought a Latios to it's knees a few episodes ago?

It's nice that they're actually seeming to be a bit consistent with Pikachu's power for once but it's still such a bore seeing it going up against COTDs who we know he'll just roast. At least with Dragonite, Gengar, or Riolu we could have some thoughts like 'Oh, is Ash gonna lose?'.
Dragonite and Gengar are supposed to be strong too though
And Riolu should eventually get there

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Recently after rewatching a few episodes of Sun & Moon I realized something. When a series is set in one region it helps with worldbuilding. It allows the characters to explore culture, traditions, history, and other things not shown in game.

So far we've only visited Galar twice and cant say I feel any strong connection to it compared to past regions.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion

...That Snivy knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved by its next appearance - it wasn't "fresh off the shelf"

Not to mention Pikachu couldn't use its electricity to strengthen itself like it usually does, which is why Quick Attack and Iron Tail did nothing

D

Deleted member 384931

There are episodes that are nice PM007, PM12, PM13, PM16, PM18 and PM21.

Episodes that could be better PM001, PM002, PM004, PM005, PM0011, PM14, PM17, PM20

And episodes that are not needed
PM003, PM006, PM008, PM009, PM10.

PM001: Pikachu's backstory was nice, but they could have explained what happend between his departure and being caught by Oak

PM002: Not bad. Koharu could have got more screentime.

PM003: Could be removed in my opinion.

PM004: Galar feels empty, the episode feels empty. Yay, Scorbunny I guess?

PM005: Ash could have done a bit more to help "defeat" Dynamax Snorlax.

PM006: wmWhat was the point of all the bug pokemon?

PM007: Now THIS is a great episode.

PM008: Boring filler. Piplup and Crogunks dynamic was weird.

PM009: Booooring. Ho-Oh without Ash is like Brock without Nurse Joy.

PM10: Great episode, a typical Ash episode.

PM11: Good, but the connection that let Koharu and Gengar share an episode is a mystery to me.

PM12: Not bad, but Gou and Ash didnt do much. Leon is very cocky lol.

PM13: Alot better than PM12.

PM14: A raid battle, but I wished that the pokemon of the others were stronger.

-PM15: Not bad, but feels pointless as Gou goes back to catching alot of pokemon, and not caring about tjis starter as in PM17

-PM16: Nothing bad to say about this one.

-PM17: Its an interesting episode for Scorbunny and Gou. But Ash giving no attention to Scorbunny is odd.

-PM18: A great episode. But the battle strategies were meh.

-PM19: I forgot about this episode tbh. But Team Rpcket was great in this.

-PM20: Would be better as starter episode instead of PM003.

-PM21: A great episode. A good episode for a Riolu, shows its characaristics.

-PM22: A mixed bag: good Gou and Raboot relation, but all the other stuff was odd and felt out of character.

So not bad for the first 22 episodes, but I can see some improvement in a few areas. Gou has lots to learn about social interaction with pokemon. Idk what to say about Ash. Koharu feels pointless, even for a secondary character. There are shows who handle their secondary characters alot better. Team Rocket is awefully quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I feel this series has a strange discrepancy or contrast due not knowing what it really wants to be, mainly due to how it's characters view Pokemon. Ash and Go each represent a different aspect of the Pokemon franchise aswell as quality vs quantity.

Ash represents quality and the more traditional RPG games. Catch fewer Pokemon and give them proper development through story arcs, personality, and training. So far Ash has actually connected and given development to Dragonite, Gengar, and Riolu in a few episodes.

Go represents quantity and the hoarding aspect of Pokemon Go. He easily catches as many Pokemon as he can in one episode and rarely gives them any attention afterwards. Sure they may briefly appear in other episodes to evolve or give development to Scorbunny. A Pokemon he didn't even want in the first place because of his weird obsession with MEW! Out of all the Pokemon he's caught Scrobunny/Raboot is the only one people may care about.

So the show's caught in this weird loop where it has to balance aspects from the main RPG series and Go from episode to episode. Don't know if anyone else sees it as this way.