• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters 2019 Anime: Thoughts before anime started vs thoughts now!

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
The writers should just admit they rebooted (Rabooted) the series with this Kanto kid with a receding hairline as the MC instead of insisting Ash and Goh are "co-protagonists". The only reason they kept Ash was to keep the viewership of old fans.

Nobody outside of fanboys will even remember 1/10 of the Pokemon he has or the way he caught them. The writers wrote themselves into a corner making his goal to catch ALL Pokemon. There's nothing compelling about that. Catching all Pokemon of one region or one type would've been 100x better for the pacing. Shiny Hunter had a way more interesting goal and should've been the new companion.

...Ash had the same goal, never mind the same bullshit happened in XY.

in b4 B-BUT 4KIDS MADE ASH CATCHING THEM ALL UP

Not really, and really the only reason the Shiny Hunter doesn’t get flak is because he is not part of the main cast and not showing up in every episode.

If he had been in Go’s spot instead people would just be giving the Shiny Hunter as much flak as they give Go if not more.

Literally the only difference between Go’s Goal and the Shiny Hunter’s Goal is that the Shiny Hunter specifically wants the shiny version of every Pokémon.

How would Shiny Hunter get more flak? His Pokedex was a fraction of what Goh's was so he wouldn't be spamming captures down our throats with every moving Pokemon he saw. Since shinies are extremely rare, captures would be spaced out and each Pokemon would get a proper episode. The reactions would be more "wow, he caught that" instead of "get this capture over with already".

Goh's goal is to catch Mew. He's based on Go so the mechanic to encounter Mew should be similar to that shitty game. Prof. Cerise should've told that kid that since Mew is a Kanto Pokemon, he should just fill the Kanto Dex.

He'd get more flak because of what ShadowForce said.

Ultra Beast Lover

Alright, I watched the next twelve episodes, I can safely say that it has grown on me. Scorbunny was just too cute. It's not bad, it seems to be picking up a little, and ok I have to admit, I'm not an animator and even I can tell that these giant Pokemon are a pain to animate. The battles don't exactly wow me, it's more of a "neat". There's still an underlying feeling that something is just off. Not bad just off. Also, I and probably everyone else called the Skwovet twist after like two minutes.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
It's still bad. On the same level as SM after Aether and it's probably becoming even worse when I look back at how they handled the characters, companions etc.
Like I can't see any potential in all those characters with two exceptions. Go's goal is also a no go (what a pun) and the goal became so repetive after ten episodes and I hated how they give him all the cool Galar mons and Ash getting strong shillmon served on a silver plate while Riolu is still the best one of his team. Also the way Ash's "goal" was handled with that lack of confrontation is also not good but hey the loss against Bea is actually something wortwhile. But there must be more. Also the generell lack of conflicts is also boring. Introduce some bad guys or make Bede or Marnie + Team Yell appear as rivals who show up more commonly or an evil organization but at least something! Just make the plot more thrilling and interesting on both story and characters. Battles are okay.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I really see no point to the Gacha machine at all.
Rewatching the Rocket vacation just made me hate the concept even more, oh look other Rocket members have actual Pokemon!

There's absolutely no pros towards it whatsoever just a massive list of cons.
For starters, it stops a need for having other antagonists which post-DP have been pretty much non-existent. The Wario lookalike and Malamar, along with Viren were literally all we had! Brodie, Pokemon Mystery Club/PMC, Biff/Cassidy, J, and various one-off poachers like in Larvitar's arc and when Weezing/Arbok were released are what made the older series interesting as we also had long arcs instead of the new villains/'villains' getting their comeuppance shortly after their main series debut

Team Rocket have no bonds whatsoever, and they rival Ash if not topping him most of the time when it comes to their Pokemon! Chewtle should have been a mainstay, especially since it's obvious he'll be going G-Max for them. Let them work for it! Plus there's the whole 'Drednaw being hard to raise' thing, would be fun to just see it refuse to listen to Jessie. And Cramorant would be a perfect Pokemon for James! They could also give them older Pokemon like giving Jessie the Salazzle she should have owned in SM, while James got Morpeko as his new mascot

It makes a large amount of Pokemon to appear solely to job. Wailord and Bellsprout were fun but they quickly dropped that aspect and most of the time? It's villain stereotypes they draw out

But hey, it's still better than Goh and his stupid goal!

D

Deleted member 384931

Some thoughts:

The - :

-The Trio are standard villans
-Interactions between pokemon
-Anime using clickbait
-The team of Satoshi
-Satoshi seems off in some episodes in character
-KANTO (but it is getting better)
-Gou's relationship with any pokemon not Sobble or Raboot is like a zoo
-Why was Koharu even introduced?
-Riolu and Pikachu getting much focus compared to the others
-The animators cant seem to draw smiles fully anymore (it bugs me)
-The music brrr

The +:

-The dynamic between Gou and Satoshi is very good.
-Focus on the battles and pokemon
-Flashbacks to past adventures of Satoshi
-Satoshi being relaxed and serious when needed
-Animation is ok in some episodes, some not.

6,5/10 in GENERAL

Last edited by a moderator:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It's still bad. On the same level as SM after Aether and it's probably becoming even worse when I look back at how they handled the characters, companions etc.
Like I can't see any potential in all those characters with two exceptions. Go's goal is also a no go (what a pun) and the goal became so repetive after ten episodes and I hated how they give him all the cool Galar mons and Ash getting strong shillmon served on a silver plate while Riolu is still the best one of his team. Also the way Ash's "goal" was handled with that lack of confrontation is also not good but hey the loss against Bea is actually something wortwhile. But there must be more. Also the generell lack of conflicts is also boring. Introduce some bad guys or make Bede or Marnie + Team Yell appear as rivals who show up more commonly or an evil organization but at least something! Just make the plot more thrilling and interesting on both story and characters. Battles are okay.
I agree. Its still hetter than SM for me. But still so bland

Ultra Beast Lover

So far there's also not a lot to make at least me wonder what's going on with the plot. The first and second generation don't count since it was more comedy based with small arcs like Larvitar, Silver etc,. Gen 3 we had our first contests, a new dynamic, new villains, then the Battle Frontier, and Misty's return. Gen 4 we had contests but we also had the mystery of the Lake Trio, Team Galactic, Chimchar's blaze, Mamoswine's disobedience, as well as various two-three parters. Gen 5 had a tendency to drag but it did hold our interest with Zekrom and Excadrill, then they had Meowth join the team, then Meloetta along with the tournament, then N, some better handled than others but it had something. Gen 6 had Malamar, Serena figuring out what to do with her life, then the performances, Korrina's arc, the Zygarde arc, and the Ash-Greninja arc. Gen 7 had Lillie's fear of Pokemon, Nebby's arc, Poipole's arc, Magearna, then finally the league.

I know it's still early seeing as we don't know how long the series will be but so far there's not a lot to hold my interest. We've already said why Go's goal can't work but let's look at his Raboot. They kept that disobedience arc short which is fine but I don't feel like Go learned anything. For starters, Raboot never gave Go a hard time, worst he did was ignore Go and refuse to give him an apple. Like, fine if Raboot forgave him but there was no moment after evolution where he lashed out and yelled or launched an attack in Go's direction. It would've been a great development if Go was trying to get Raboot's attention at some point and it just ignored him or if Go got in Raboot's way and it exploded on him, making Go remember how he acted towards Raboot, connect the dots, and apologize profusely for his part in their falling out.

mockingjay

swift and lol
the next series needs a major refresh/overhaul. a pokemon anime has SO much potential and i think that's why so many of us are always disappointed, because pokemon is rich enough (and complex enough!!) for a very compelling anime television series yet every series has been so subpar.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
because pokemon is rich enough (and complex enough!!) for a very compelling anime television series yet every series has been so subpar.

Every series post-DP sure has been lol

I hope the main setting for gen 9 is actually in gen 9, that's all I want(Along with Goh being gone ofc cause he is the main source of the series problems). We're 40 episodes in yet we've only seen a handful of Galar Pokemon and hardly any Galar characters at all! Farfetch'd is the only Galar Pokemon on Ash's team(Which is just unacceptable), the TRio and Goh's Galar captures hardly appear at all(Seriously where the heck is Chewtle?! Him not appearing in the Milotic episode was absurd!)

This series has mostly been Kanto. Ash's first and second capture? Kanto. 80% of Goh's captures? Kanto. 80% of episodes? Kanto, and Vermilion based but at least now we're actually leaving and exploring proper locations instead of random islands off the region coast
And having a series in Kanto isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just terrible execution.
This is Team Rocket turf yet we've only seen other Rocket members once and that wasn't even in Kanto!
Pallet Town would be a perfect setting as they could finally expand on that place cause all Ash ever does is either A. Go home or B. Go to Oak's, when he's there. Could still have Cerise but as Oak's assistant and aiming to open up his own lab, so Chloe would still exist. And you'd have Tracey and Delia instead of two random assistants that'll probably never get proper characterization or development(I still hope the female turns out to be a Rocket agent lol) along with all of Ash's Pokemon, Mimey being there without feeling forced as heck, the streets being deserted wouldn't feel weird at all cause unlike Vermilion? Pallet has a small population! And is within walking distance of Viridian so they could still take planes to other regions(Which IS the main method of transportation)

Oh yeah and don't get me started on a Pewter City episode without Brock, his family, and probably not even mentioning Brock at all! Should have been Cinnabar Island... -_-

And the region balance? Absolutely terrible!
Galar should have more than it has thus far
Johto and Hoenn being the most visited while Unova and Kalos have one trip each to their name, why are they holding off on going back to those two? It better be something significant cause man, the Unova drag is getting old! I wanna see my favorite region again! :/

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Its been getting slightly better since the writers/executives seem to actually care a little to bring older characters back. Hopefully they don't screw this up by changing continuity again.

Also Chloe episodes have been the more interesting episode of the series that doesn't include older characters returning. I don't really care for the fillers in this series and I don't care for most Ash and Goh focused episodes, particularly the Ash ones.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

Honestly this is a complaint I have with the anime currently too, like KGPrestige on twitter said, "I love the episodes, not the series", and I can't agree more. All the episodes are fun to watch most of the times and bring a smile to my face but there is no constant storytelling that exists between all episodes, no coherent themes. Hope season 2 with the new time slot fixes that

Rohanator

Honestly this is a complaint I have with the anime currently too, like KGPrestige on twitter said, "I love the episodes, not the series", and I can't agree more. All the episodes are fun to watch most of the times and bring a smile to my face but there is no constant storytelling that exists between all episodes, no coherent themes. Hope season 2 with the new time slot fixes that
Well, the comparison made in that twitter post didn't really turn out to be accurate now that Saitou's a more like a rival rather than the standard "gym loss and rematch" arc. Shows we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
The battles have been extremely boring and underwhelming. Need to bring back the XY dynamic camera and battle choreography.
Writers need to continue summarizing Super Goh's captures like Chinchau at the end of episodes instead of stretching out episodes with oneshot captures. In fact, increase the capture count in the summary to 50 per episode so we can get it over with.

RafaSceptile

Well, the comparison made in that twitter post didn't really turn out to be accurate now that Saitou's a more like a rival rather than the standard "gym loss and rematch" arc. Shows we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

This is actually very important especially, because how problems are adressed between rivals takes more time (like Paul, Sawyer or Gladion)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You really think Bea is gonna be a main rival like those three to be making that comparison?
It'd be nice if she were, since that would give Ash a female rival for once who doesn't fit the friendly mold while also not going into heartless jerk that everyone inexplicably is OK with.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
Yeah, never got the want for a heartless jerk rival, an overconfident rival or someone like Gladion sure but the heartless jerk isn't someone I only want to beat in a Pokemon battle. Bea seems like a fine rival, nice if you earn her respect but not afraid to tell someone what she's thinking.

It's fine if Saito is one of Satoshi's rivals, but for me she lacks the bite that I'd expect from a rival in this series. She's already seeming more like a typical friendly rival who respects Satoshi after their last battle, and I fear that she'll turn out like Shota in the long run. In a series like this where important battles are going to happen the higher Satoshi climbs in the World Championship ranking, I think aggressive and competitive rivals are what's needed.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
It'd be nice if she were, since that would give Ash a female rival for once who doesn't fit the friendly mold while also not going into heartless jerk that everyone inexplicably is OK with.
This part really bothers me in any piece of japanese media. Is that something philosophical about don’t judge people, be a higher person or simply don’t give a crap? Because, you know, a huge jerk can simply be a huge jerk. I suppose pokemon can have a pass because of its audience, though.

Incidentally, I don’t think Bea will be our jerk rival (curse that wusses that made her “respect” Ash now), but something can appear eventually.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The only gripe I have with this series is that they rush through story arcs, making it feeling like they're telling what's going on rather than showing it. I know that this series is meant to be more episodic than previous seasons, but because of that everything feels like they're just going through stories on overdrive where in the past they were given more room to breathe. A perfect example would be the upcoming Darkest Day arc since it's only going to be four episodes. Six would at least make more sense (though I'd prefer 8-12 like the Aether Arc), but trying to condense the entire SWSH story into just four sounds impossible on paper and will just result in a hot mess.

True, & I love the idea of making Bea one of Ash's rivals since it's showing that he's starting to be on par with gym leaders and the Elite 4. However, it would've been nice to see how he got back to the Great Class or how he came up with the strategy to beat Octolock. Why would they show him dropping back to the Normal Class if they weren't going to show him regaining his confidence and earning his spot back?
It doesn’t even have to be done through a full fledged episode. Apparently the anime posts short comics online that act as prequels to each episode, so having a comic of Ash beating a bunch of random trainers to make it back to the Great Class would work too

Last edited: