1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 29, 2019.

1. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

I hope that Koharu gets her own development and storyline that doesn't depend on the boys. She's quite an unique character with her indifference to pokemon. So I hope that she gets her own goal that doesn't involve pokemon or helping the boys.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  2. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

I will only accept Koharu becoming a chef for the boys on one condition and only one condition.

Food. Fight. Episode.

I'm serious. I felt like we were cheated in SM for not having a dedicated food fight episode.

Bonus points for Mallow being her opponent if they ever decide to bring her into the fray.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Ubermuk likes this.
  3. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

She can have her own goal and still be the group cook on the side. Brock was both a breeder and the cook during the time he was with Ash

Zoruagible likes this.
  4. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Let’s be real, most of the fanbase would jump for joy if Koharu was a bubbly, chef who spent most of the time gushing over the male character (specifically Satoshi). Agreeing that Koharu’s current focus is far more preferable, a girl who is indifferent toward Pokémon and more annoyed by the energy of Pokémon fanatics than charmed is new ground. I kind of don’t want that cleansed from her character completely.

EDIT: I’m still confused why people are seriously taking a cutesy piece of art they needed a female character to slap on seriously lol. Thought y’all were joking.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. lolipiece

lolipiece Check it out! Staff Member Moderator

Oh no, it's this discussion again. I don't get why certain members of the Pokeani fandom consider girl cooks such a taboo.

We went like fifteen + years of having nothing but guys doing this (wait, did Tracey cook?), yet the few against this concept I've seen act like girls cooking means the show is sexist now or something.

As long as she has a well-defined character outside this one specific task, I don't see a problem with her dabbling in it.

Though given the premise, I doubt it'll ever happen. No need to cook when you're not traveling, right? Though we're still going to need a Curry Dex episode.

6. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

And Cilan did that too with his own goal.

These people seem to forget Ash can't cook lol And if Koharu becomes a cook, it's not like she is instantly going to be a girly girl like Serena was. Mallow was a cook and she was just fine, and we had Brock cooking for over 10 years, and Cilan taking over for another 3 before her. Don't really see the issue with a female cooking for Ash, not like Go's gonna do it.

Red and Blue likes this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree, I just don't see it being a good idea especially since Koharu isn't exactly friendly with Satoshi, so it'd be a bit awkward to see her cater to his food needs when they're more like acquaintances than friends.

anjunajake and Blue Saturday like this.
  8. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Reading some posts

It's not about her being a girl. It's about the character being wasted on something as pointless as cooking. Koharu has shown no real incentive to join the boys on their adventure nor has shown any real interest in doing what they do so far, so the very thought of her joining Ash and Go in order to cook for them seems ludicrous and out of character. I'm just kinda baffled by the idea that people genuinely think this would be good development for Koharu.

9. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Exactly.

It’s less “cooking is sexist” and more “literally why would this character even show an interest in this thing given what we know of her so far?????”

There’s no battle of the sexes when it comes to food prepping and it’s more personal in the sense of Koharu in all seriousness quitting school just to travel as Satoshi’s personal cook is pathetic. It’s pointless Valentine’s Day art, if they wanted to use someone to make chocolate they could have slapped on Barrierd (the actual cook) but they needed a waifu and Koharu is the only significant female character in the show.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Koharu cooking would feel really boring not gonna lie. The Valentine's Day artwork that features her is really cute though and I hope we get more holiday type art of her in the future.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  11. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

I will only accept Koharu cooking if she is just awful at it like Misty was. At least it would be humorous watching the boys try to weasel out of her cooking.

Seriously though, it is not a good idea. I have had my fill of "waifu" pokegirls over the last several years, I don't want Koharu to fall into that group.

12. Gezz its just art, dont get crazy. It meabs nothing.

13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Seeing someone in the cast be bad at cooking would be amusing at least, and I also agree that I'd rather have Koharu stay away from the "waifu" characterization since I don't like that trope.

14. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

My hope is that if Koharu ends up traveling with the boys is she remains the "straight man" with a dash of her being the exasperated mom from time to time.

wolf jani and Leonhart like this.
  15. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

Why would the boys need a cook though? For the most part they return home at the end of the non-Galar episode.

wolf jani and Leonhart like this.
  16. Egakor

Egakor Well-Known Member

I wonder if Ash will get to participate in a PWT (not PWC) in the future.

Ubermuk likes this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

At this point I feel that he's too good for the standard Pokemon World Tournament, and that he should try his hand at the Pokemon World Championship. He may as well go for it just to see how far he'd get.

anjunajake and Ubermuk like this.
  18. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

What if they stay in a region for more than a single day? In the wilderness and away from civilazation no less

19. Egakor

Egakor Well-Known Member

Well, that's a competition for someone at Lance's level (since he did win one according to episode 12) so I think it would be suitable for Ash.
    It could be a good training/testing place for Ash before challenging Leon again in the future.

Ubermuk likes this.
  20. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Following the dreams!!

They can always take with them some packed food for such situations.

Ubermuk likes this.