• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red and Blue

That's the thing. He doesn't use reserves after Sinnoh. The rest are either his Kanto members making harmless cameos that don't help in his quest or they're forgotten in history.

Which is Kanto pandering, which is insulting considering Ash felt like he never visited Bell Tower before and how the strange combination of Piplup and Croagunk in Sinnoh didn't jog his memories. From what I get, the writers are willing to use Kanto pandering (minus Ash's Charizard despite a freaking Charizard being the main foe in this saga, ugh) but never recall things between Kanto and this series (we still don't know if Alola will suddenly get the middle finger or not...but it's been over 20 episodes).

Forget about using the trophies in his room as a ray of hope. That ray of hope has suddenly dimmed down into a kitchen's light going out.
To be honest I thought Piplup and Croagunk did qualify as a reference even though Ash didnt connect the dots himself. Seemed pretty on the nose to have those out of all the Sinnoh Pokemon.

At least Ash remembered Ho-oh

At least Ash remembered Ho-oh
It's the prime exception since it's the one Pokemon that inspired Ash to travel...which felt really awkward when Ash felt like a newbie in its home of worship he had already visited.

Similar to how the tournament in the Sword and Shield games are synonymous to the elite 4, the anime writers appear to be taking a similar approach with the anime having these ranked battles act as gym battles but whats interesting is this way it doesn't necessarily have to be only 8 important battles for Ash to advance. There could possibly be a bigger number of important battles leading to the World Championship. But what I think is interesting is that they could incorporate the Galar Gym leaders as either ranked battles leading up to the championship, or part of the championship itself with a portion of them being in the final 8. Honestly the way things are going they could take this in any direction. At first I was skeptical of the new formula but I'm loving it so far. I will say I hope Ash gets someone competing against him.

Similar to how the tournament in the Sword and Shield games are synonymous to the elite 4, the anime writers appear to be taking a similar approach with the anime having these ranked battles act as gym battles but whats interesting is this way it doesn't necessarily have to be only 8 important battles for Ash to advance.
...So not similar at all. One requires 8 badges in a region, meaning 8 battles. The other requires beating people at higher or lower ranks in more than 8 battles around the globe (since regional traveling expenses don't exist) to advance or else losing one of said ranked battles only hinders you much more than losing a gym battle.

dman_dustin

I do wonder if Ash battles the Galar gym leaders, as Pokemon World Championships, that Ash won't also qualify for the badge and receive it from the gym leaders (since Ash defeated them) Perhaps even using the Galar league as a show of strength, even perhaps potentially getting people's attention in PWC by winning it.

I don't know though, I just think it would be interesting.

...So not similar at all. One requires 8 badges in a region, meaning 8 battles. The other requires beating people at higher or lower ranks in more than 8 battles around the globe (since regional traveling expenses don't exist) to advance or else losing one of said ranked battles only hinders you much more than losing a gym battle.
I shouldn't have used the word synonymous and I admit could of worded it better. But the main point was that they are taking a different approach (similar to SwSh did by not having an E4) but the end result will have the same value (Battling 4 trainers before battling Leon). So let me clarify, when I said "similar" I meant just the fact that its overall different from the usual formula but the value is about the same. The top 8 final tournament is basically the representation of typical league itself in terms of value this season/series (even if in literal terms its different because its titled the WORLD championship). With the ranked battles until then basically being equal to gym battles of this season/series ( but with a slight variation possibly regressing). Again similar in terms of value for this season/region not necessarily the format itself

Red and Blue

I do wonder if Ash battles the Galar gym leaders, as Pokemon World Championships, that Ash won't also qualify for the badge and receive it from the gym leaders (since Ash defeated them) Perhaps even using the Galar league as a show of strength, even perhaps potentially getting people's attention in PWC by winning it.

I don't know though, I just think it would be interesting.
I don't want them to try and cram in both the League and WC into Ash's goal. The latter should be the main objective

dman_dustin

I don't want them to try and cram in both the League and WC into Ash's goal. The latter should be the main objective

I'm not separating them though. I'm suggesting in order for Ash to challenge stronger foes, he has to defeat the Galar league for example.

I'm saying the league is a stepping stone within Ash's world championships goal.

Red and Blue

I'm not separating them though. I'm suggesting in order for Ash to challenge stronger foes, he has to defeat the Galar league for example.

I'm saying the league is a stepping stone within Ash's world championships goal.
Still I don't want Ash to bother with the Galarian League. He can face strong trainers without it. The only tournament I want to see is the Master class

Leonhart

Imagineer
HumanPokedex said:
Similar to how the tournament in the Sword and Shield games are synonymous to the elite 4, the anime writers appear to be taking a similar approach with the anime having these ranked battles act as gym battles but whats interesting is this way it doesn't necessarily have to be only 8 important battles for Ash to advance. There could possibly be a bigger number of important battles leading to the World Championship.

I think that keeping the number of important battles at 8 or at most 10 would be reasonable. This is just my two cents since I don't watch the anime for the battles in specific, so I can't say that I find the idea of major battles happening more often to be massively appealing, although I'd make an exception depending on who Satoshi's future opponents are if for instance they're in-game characters who never appeared before.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'd be pretty pissed off if after all this build up Ash doesn't even get to challenge Leon in an official battle. They have to battle again even if Ash loses.

I'd be pretty pissed if Ash lost to Leon.
All that time wasted, with likely no rewards at all to show for it unlike his badges
Not to mention I've always hated Leon(and his dumb brother), I don't want him retaining that title. Bad enough the games remind you that he's 'unbeatable and owns a Charizard' every five minutes.

I have a question, why is Ash wasting time visiting other regions when he is supposed to be exploring Galar? Why is he catching fan favorites all of a sudden from previous regions? I don't like the new direction. At least, make him see his old friends, it would make it a lot more enjoyable than what we have now.

Nothing wrong with the Pokemon he's catching, it's quite refreshing to see him capturing Pokemon that aren't to promote the newest region/games. So long as he still gets 5 Galar Pokemon, it's fine.

I do agree with the Galar focus though, it's really annoying. As incredibly boring and overused as Melemele was, at least they were in Alola. I hope they make Ash challenge the Galarian gym leaders, all of them, for the PWC. It's the best way at showcasing Dynamax more(Especially as he now owns another Pokemon who can Gigantimax, and he could potentially get more) and boost up his ranking while properly showing off Galar.

Konja7

Nothing wrong with the Pokemon he's catching, it's quite refreshing to see him capturing Pokemon that aren't to promote the newest region/games. So long as he still gets 5 Galar Pokemon, it's fine.

I do agree with the Galar focus though, it's really annoying. As incredibly boring and overused as Melemele was, at least they were in Alola. I hope they make Ash challenge the Galarian gym leaders, all of them, for the PWC. It's the best way at showcasing Dynamax more(Especially as he now owns another Pokemon who can Gigantimax, and he could potentially get more) and boost up his ranking while properly showing off Galar.

Honestly, I think Ash will only have 6 Pokemon this season, since he focus on battles. Also, I don't think will use more Pokemon that can Gigantimax as Pikachu will be the Pokemon for this.

The aspect of catching a lot of (Galar) Pokemon will probably be for Go.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Honestly, I think Ash will only have 6 Pokemon this season, since he focus on battles. Also, I don't think will use more Pokemon that can Gigantimax as Pikachu will be the Pokemon for this.

The aspect of catching a lot of (Galar) Pokemon will probably be for Go.

Didn't they release a bunch of GMAX Gengars to celebrate Ash catching Gengar?

Bortgreen

UP NEXT: A Hangry Return

He can challenge gym leaders and other strong trainers without needing to oficially join the league
The latest episode showed that

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If Ash continues his "cool" Pokemon catching streak, then probably his next catch is Zoroark or Umbreon , hell it could even be Garchomp lol
He has a Gible so Garchomp would just come from that

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bortgreen said:
He can challenge gym leaders and other strong trainers without needing to oficially join the league

I definitely feel that he'll battle some important Galar characters later on since he'll inevitably visit the region again in the future. Probably not all the Galar Gym Leaders since there's probably not enough time for that, but maybe some of the popular ones like Rurina and Saitou.

dman_dustin

I'm arguing that someone of a higher rank outright refuses to battle Ash UNTIL he proves his worth by winning the Galar league.

I'm not arguing that the writers sneakily kill two birds with one stone although technically that's what this still would be, but I mean there would be an actual in-universe reason rather than Ash shrugging his shoulders "why not?"

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Similar to how the tournament in the Sword and Shield games are synonymous to the elite 4, the anime writers appear to be taking a similar approach with the anime having these ranked battles act as gym battles but whats interesting is this way it doesn't necessarily have to be only 8 important battles for Ash to advance. There could possibly be a bigger number of important battles leading to the World Championship. But what I think is interesting is that they could incorporate the Galar Gym leaders as either ranked battles leading up to the championship, or part of the championship itself with a portion of them being in the final 8. Honestly the way things are going they could take this in any direction. At first I was skeptical of the new formula but I'm loving it so far. I will say I hope Ash gets someone competing against him.

The Galar gym leaders being involved in Ash's ranked battles quest seems like it's gonna happen one way or another. There's no way the writing staff will skip a chance to show the new gym leaders.

ShadowForce720

I'm arguing that someone of a higher rank outright refuses to battle Ash UNTIL he proves his worth by winning the Galar league.

I'm not arguing that the writers sneakily kill two birds with one stone although technically that's what this still would be, but I mean there would be an actual in-universe reason rather than Ash shrugging his shoulders "why not?"

That would seem like a completely unnecessary way just to force Ash to do the gym challenge. Especially when you consider the fact that if a trainer tried to do that restriction Ash could just go and challenge someone else instead.

Plus there really isn’t any actual reason for Ash to have to do the Gym Challenge when he can just fight the Gym Leaders in the PWC without doing the Gym Challenge not only that it would also mean that if he did the Gym Challenge and actually challenge the league then he would be wasting his time fighting people that aren’t even in the PWC.

Plus it would seem pretty ridiculous for someone to try to say that Ash has to beat the Galar League just so that one person of a higher rank accepts his battle, if anything it would just be a waste of Ash’s time.

Look I get that you might want Ash to enter the Gym Challenge but at this point there isn’t any reason for him to enter it and it would just be redundant and a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.