• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Ultra Beast Lover

Maybe Serena wasn't allowed to meet anyone because the writers didn't want to deal with the fans that would complain if there wasn't a girl fight, because there are some fans who ship Ash with more than one companion and want a fight to happen over Ash.

Or, and this is more likely, it just never came up. The writers might've WANTED Serena to meet a previous companion but for one reason or another they never got around to it.

PsychoLogical

Maybe Serena wasn't allowed to meet anyone because the writers didn't want to deal with the fans that would complain if there wasn't a girl fight, because there are some fans who ship Ash with more than one companion and want a fight to happen over Ash.

Or, and this is more likely, it just never came up. The writers might've WANTED Serena to meet a previous companion but for one reason or another they never got around to it.
considering the XY series has the reward for the most atrocious and non-existent continuity ever had in a saga, I wouldn't put it past that they didn't bother.

Kawaii Emolga

The cutest EVER!!!!

Maybe they didn't had time to do it because the end of the XY era was rushed af

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
While this could be the case, I find it amusing that they couldn't get around to bringing back any of the old cast mates even for just a few episodes, yet they found time to give us dozens of pointless fillers. It almost feels like a case of them being lazy and simply wanting to take the easy route.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think the writers were worried about confusing new fans with all the continuity so they tried distancing themselves from it for XY. When SuMo's anime came they realized that it was more trouble ignoring the continuity than just explaining it. Who knows though, TV show writers sometimes make choices that make no sense and go unexplained/are explained poorly.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Serena is the only character to never meet a previous companion of Satoshi to date. Even Goh met one before her, I wonder why. It is remarkable in a way.
Simply a coincidence that all meetings between past companions didn't include Serena.

No overly complex scientific, psychological or logical reason. It just happens that when meetings between past companions happened, Serena wasn't a part of the group.

Master Pikachu 11

It was more upsetting than amusing for me that they prioritized fillers over continuity lol
Agreed, I found most of the filler episodes to be rather boring.
I think the writers were worried about confusing new fans with all the continuity so they tried distancing themselves from it for XY. When SuMo's anime came they realized that it was more trouble ignoring the continuity than just explaining it. Who knows though, TV show writers sometimes make choices that make no sense and go unexplained/are explained poorly.
They had Ash mention two continuity points in that he knew a Piplup that acted like the one that appeared in an XY episode and then he mentions to Goodra, how he could have used his reserves in the league, but decided he wanted to use it instead. But yeah, I was not happy with not having any sort of continuity which is why I like SM since besides seeing Bulbasaur and Tauros, we got to see Muk, Corphish, and Totodile again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
When SuMo's anime came they realized that it was more trouble ignoring the continuity than just explaining it.
I suppose that I just don't grasp the logic of them feeling like ignoring continuity was too much of a bother in SM when they really didn't have to bring back Kasumi and Takeshi at all. I enjoyed seeing them again, but I can imagine that it must've been a lot of trouble to bring them back.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
They had Ash mention two continuity points in that he knew a Piplup that acted like the one that appeared in an XY episode and then he mentions to Goodra, how he could have used his reserves in the league, but decided he wanted to use it instead. But yeah, I was not happy with not having any sort of continuity which is why I like SM since besides seeing Bulbasaur and Tauros, we got to see Muk, Corphish, and Totodile again.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but it makes me laugh that for some people seeing a couple of Ash's old Pokemon for a few seconds in SuMo was considered good continuity. It sucks that we have to settle for less even in SuMo...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but it makes me laugh that for some people seeing a couple of Ash's old Pokemon for a few seconds in SuMo was considered good continuity. It sucks that we have to settle for less even in SuMo...
I think it's a matter of people taking whatever they can get. Personally, I still think that SM was pretty tame when it came to continuity to previous sagas outside of the really big moments like the Kanto episodes, but I suppose it still gave us more continuity than XY.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I would love if Ash brushed and petted his Pikachu more often

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I've seen other characters brush and pet fur-bearing Pokemon. This was often practiced by Serena and Bonnie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:
I've seen other characters brush and pet fur-bearing Pokemon. This was often practiced by Serena and Bonnie.
That's because part of Serena's goal involved high beauty standards for her Pokemon, so of course she groomed them. As for Eureka, she treated Dedenne like a pet, so it makes sense that she groomed it often as well. Satoshi doesn't quite fit that disposition, however.

Master Pikachu 11

Well it’s better then seeing none of his Pokémon like in XY, where we hardly got any old characters reuniting with Ash or see any of his Pokémon at all. This is also the same series that had Ash in the finals, while Delia and Professor Oak were no where to be found. At least SM corrected that mistake, even though the league could have been better.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Goh grummed some of his pokémon duo the food-fighting episode. It even gave us the gag of him offering to do it on Raboot to which the bunny goes all tsundere with a "no, thanks" walk away