• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

I dont understand why after almost ignorging them after 10 years, they suddenly want those companions back. Not that I mind, but arent they relying TOO much on nostalgia at this point in this series?

Dragonsoldier77

I dont understand why after almost ignorging them after 10 years, they suddenly want those companions back. Not that I mind, but arent they relying TOO much on nostalgia at this point in this series?
Or what? Have ash take on another gym run strictly in galar?

Given the world journey format they went for, not having returning companions and characters would be much worse. Doing it like this also feels more natural and less solely nostalgia bait as previous series imo.

Morax

Well, it's either that or never seeing them again at all. Sometimes you have to take what you get.
What i by meant overrated is that peeps tend to hyperbolize them. They unironically believe that if he/she doesn't return in the next 3 years then writers must have retconned them, even though it has been proven time and again, that that's not the case. A cameo does not suggest that "X" is more relevant than "Y", neither does it imply that "Y" has been forgotten.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

#Dracovish2021 Y'all don't get to bully the fish
Weren't you the one who was saying if we don't get old companions back then it's wasted potential back at the beginning of Pokémon Journeys. Like I don't get this complaint at all? First people complain that old companions don't return and there is no continuity and now that they do it's bad writing and just for nostalgia suddenly, when every return till now has had importance to the plot??? Like people literally want to criticize no matter what lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dragonsoldier77 said:
Doing it like this also feels more natural and less solely nostalgia bait as previous series imo.
Well at the very least I can say that I was expecting them to start off by bringing back extremely popular characters like Shinji or Hikari, instead of characters like Shijima and Iris who don't seem to be quite as popular as some of the alternatives. So that was a surprise.

Jibanyan

Well at the very least I can say that I was expecting them to start off by bringing back extremely popular characters like Shinji or Hikari, instead of characters like Shijima and Iris who don't seem to be quite as popular as some of the alternatives. So that was a surprise.
It feels more like fanservice for the fans of the franchise as a whole while the rest was more like fanservice for the anime fans only

Dragonsoldier77

Well if you want a more cynical mindset, you can think of it as them getting the less popular characters firstand saving the bigger ones for latter.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dragonsoldier77 said:
Well if you want a more cynical mindset, you can think of it as them getting the less popular characters firstand saving the bigger ones for latter.
I suppose that would make sense. I'd personally get the most popular ones out of the way first just for the sake of building up hype, but I suppose that the opposite could work too. Hopefully Haruka does return even if they have to replace KAORI.

DuskAstral

Now that she has started taking interest in Pokémon, and I think the new OP somehow confirmed that she will be joining the Main cast.
In my opinion, the opening does not indicate anything. Even if being a schoolgirl doesn't exclude her from being the main character, how do you explain that she's not in the preview for the next episode?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Cameos are highly overrated. Are you seriously okay with your favorite character returning for 23 minutes out of which 15 minutes are wasted on a battle to make the new eye candy look good? it's quite honestly very humiliating.
If they dont change their look like they did with Misty and Brock, I will be ok with it.
Misty, Ash and Brock are like Yu gi Ho monsters that went into Pegasus toon world