• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
i was already used to the fact that the anipoke fandom lacks tact, but i must say that i was somewhat uncomfortable reading opinions about "uncanny valley" or "ash's creepy smile lol". this is fanart, you know, unofficial art from a non-professional artist, not an animation director of an OLM studio, whose job is to keep the proportions in check. next time keep in mind that the art you are discussing on the internet was drawn by "someone" and there is always a chance that this "someone" reads the same forum as you. but thank you for your perhaps too honest review of my work
Actually, I like your art.

My only feedback is that Ash's scleras were a bit too round and big so the eyes looked off. Also, I think if the idea was emulate earlier seasons then Goh didn't really need those styled eyeslashes (you know, the ones that made people assume he was a girl back when he was revealed). I dunno, I feel like if Goh was on XY, he'd follow the formatting used for Ash's and Clemont's eyes. Or maybe even a more "normal" version of Sawyer's.

Other than that, I like the art. Ash's irises were a nice blend of the original look with the more detailed work from the BW-ownards era. I like you keep the consistence with what the XY design had done and made his cheek birthmarks seem smaller. The XY art kind of phased them out by significantly shrinking them. Also, I'm quite sure I remember a random frame where Ash was missing them. Then, SM randomly decided to make them proeminent again by enlarging them to the point of looking like some weird scars. Either way,playing with the idea here was a nice attention to detail. The coloring of Goh's hair and irises was good as well.

Leonhart

Imagineer
i was already used to the fact that the anipoke fandom lacks tact, but i must say that i was somewhat uncomfortable reading opinions about "uncanny valley" or "ash's creepy smile lol". this is fanart, you know, unofficial art from a non-professional artist, not an animation director of an OLM studio, whose job is to keep the proportions in check. next time keep in mind that the art you are discussing on the internet was drawn by "someone" and there is always a chance that this "someone" reads the same forum as you. but thank you for your perhaps too honest review of my work
I don't think that anyone who critiqued the artwork was trying to offend the artist, at least I wasn't. I simply pointed out something about Satoshi's facial structure that bothered me. That said, Gou and Pikachu looked fine.

Ragnarok4

Visiting Galar ...
This is more proof that the New Artstyle is much much better than the OS-XY one.
I agree, this is natural due to time and advancement in animation technology, however Ash design still have some problems . Many fans say that his SM design was just A transition, and the JN design is much better, but I do not agree, I still think that it will continue to be updated.

Sham

Twitter= the origin of racism -mods 2021
So did anybody hear that Eileen Stevens is no longer voice acting? I liked her as Iris (I believe most people use her as a scapegoat as to why they hate Iris since dub Iris said the exact same things with a more or less sassier connotation but I digress) and wondering will they have to recast her.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
First and foremost: THIS MEANS NOTHING. It's just a banner promoting the shows airing on Friday

kv-pc.png

^ Again, JUST A POSTER, IT MEANS NOTHING. The following is my own speculation:

Paw Patrol stands out as a sore thumb since it's non japanese (though OLM seems to be involved with the dub).

Either way, seeing Ash and Goh so close to Jibanyan and Komasan... Guess it sounds like Pokémon is getting ideas from YW again. The focus spread is even similar with Goh/Jibanyan being the most focused while Ash/Komasan have their own thing even/segment. Bonus points for Koma being older than Jibanyan (age-wise) while Ash's been around for longer than Goh.

I mean, considering how much gen 7 and SM seemed to take from YW, it's not farfetch'd to think like this right?

Come to think of it Shinkalion will be doing a duo as well. With Kamen Rider W getting an anime, is it a new trend?

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Yeah. I think it's possible. If Bea is coming back, why not?
Speaking of Bea. We saw her in Kanto at the Fighting Dojo and in Johto at the Cianwood Gym with Chuck. We also know she beat Korrina.

I wonder if we will hear about or see her in Hoenn with Brawly, Sinnoh with Maylene, or even in Alola with Hala?

It could be possible for her to challenge Bruno and Marshal but as Elite Four members as well I guess.

Last edited:

BobbbidyBob

First and foremost: THIS MEANS NOTHING. It's just a banner promoting the shows airing on Friday

kv-pc.png

Paw Patrol stands out as a sore thumb since it's non japanese (though OLM seems to be involved with the dub).

Either way, seeing Ash and Goh so close to Jibanyan and Komasan... Guess it sounds like Pokémon is getting ideas from YW again. The focus spread is even similar with Goh/Jibanyan being the most focused while Ash/Komasan have their own thing even/segment. Bonus points for Koma being older than Jibanyan (age-wise) while Ash's been around for longer than Goh.

I mean, considering how much gen 7 and SM seemed to take from YW, it's not farfetch'd to think like this right?

Come to think of it Shinkalion will be doing a duo as well. With Kamen Rider W getting an anime, is it a new trend?
Ooooo paw patrol

Dragonsoldier77

It’s really not strange for the staff to do an interview in regards to a character like goh that’s been inserted as a double protagonist, since growing the the market for the new character and all. But given that the major gripe people have with goh is the sense of ‘preferential treatment’, an article about why goh is so great feels kinda hilariously badly planned.
Giving me fujo vibes.
Creepy...
So business as usual for pash.

Remix2

kv-pc.png

Not sure why they want to copy YW again given it lost all relevance when sm first aired.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So Pash is a fujoishi magazine too?

It’s really not strange for the staff to do an interview in regards to a character like goh that’s been inserted as a double protagonist, since growing the the market for the new character and all. But given that the major gripe people have with goh is the sense of ‘preferential treatment’, an article about why goh is so great feels kinda hilariously badly planned.

I think it makes sense. Assuming the whole thing about the Suicune capture not sitting well with japanese fans, it's reasonable doing such article and interviews where the staff can clarify stuff about the character and even use such means to explain their decisions.

Of course that's just a theory and it all can change when we find out the actually contents of the interview.

Dragonsoldier77

I think it makes sense. Assuming the whole thing about the Suicune capture not sitting well with japanese fans, it's reasonable doing such article and interviews where the staff can clarify stuff about the character and even use such means to explain their decisions.

Of course that's just a theory and it all can change when we find out the actually contents of the interview.

Hmm i doubt they would bring up the negative reaction to goh. Unless the reaction over there were catastrophically bad, i don’t think they’ll consider it a ‘mistake’ they have to justify. Though yeah they’ll probably talk about their design and story decisions for goh and where they want to bring his character in the future.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Ooooo paw patrol
ACAB

Hmm i doubt they would bring up the negative reaction to goh. Unless the reaction over there were catastrophically bad, i don’t think they’ll consider it a ‘mistake’ they have to justify. Though yeah they’ll probably talk about their design and story decisions for goh and where they want to bring his character in the future.

Hopefully they make him realize his goal is stupid and impractical. Ironically, his dream to catch Mew is much more plausible.

I think Gary might be a goof influence for Goh. He also mass caught a bunch of Pokémon and realized that the life of a researcher benefited him more. Sonia already planted a seed in a possible Professor Goh (Family Name).

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm not saying they'll address that incident specifically, but they can talk about their reasoning behind some of the decisions, including this one and even others who they think would be polarizing like giving him all galar starters.

Still, the magazine could be something completly else and just talk more about the character's creation and maybe tease future developments with some generic "look forward future episodes" as they love to do on those.

SerenaRulez

ACAB

Hopefully they make him realize his goal is stupid and impractical. Ironically, his dream to catch Mew is much more plausible.

I think Gary might be a goof influence for Goh. He also mass caught a bunch of Pokémon and realized that the life of a researcher benefited him more. Sonia already planted a seed in a possible Professor Goh (Family Name).
I don't have a problem with Goh's goal and I'm surprised that alot of fans are still angry about him catching so many Pokemon. :(

I don't think the writing staff is going to change his goal into something else right now but I do think he might become a researcher when he leaves the show.

Dragonsoldier77

I'm not saying they'll address that incident specifically, but they can talk about their reasoning behind some of the decisions, including this one and even others who they think would be polarizing like giving him all galar starters.

Still, the magazine could be something completly else and just talk more about the character's creation and maybe tease future developments with some generic "look forward future episodes" as they love to do on those.
Oh i thought you meant them addressing it directly. My bad.