• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaSceptile

Obviously throwing logs is the cornerstone for Ash’s character and the anime as a whole
Reminder that this is 2204.4 lbs (or more)
DPb9z6hUMAAh70i.jpg

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
You know. A lot of people want that long haired girl silhouette to be Sabrina, but what if it's Leaf and they retcon her into being one of the Pallet Town trainers that left on her journey the same day as Ash and Gary. I believe it was mentioned in an episode in the OS that the Bulbasaur trainer and the Charmander trainer couldn't cut it and went back home.

What if it turns out to be Leaf and she was inspired by Ash and Gary's accomplishments to try to be a trainer again, so she joined the WCS.

It would be a great way to give Ash another female rival.

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
You know. A lot of people want that long haired girl silhouette to be Sabrina, but what if it's Leaf and they retcon her into being one of the Pallet Town trainers that left on her journey the same day as Ash and Gary. I believe it was mentioned in an episode in the OS that the Bulbasaur trainer and the Charmander trainer couldn't cut it and went back home.

What if it turns out to be Leaf and she was inspired by Ash and Gary's accomplishments to try to be a trainer again, so she joined the WCS.

It would be a great way to give Ash another female rival.

Fine by me

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
What an incoherent writting. Can lift a light log but can hold the heavy Cosmoen?

I call it plothole. SM is forever ruined!

Have you forgotten about pignite when he picked pignite with his two hands up without any trouble or let a larvitar on his head and didn't feel a thing

KirliaToon50

Snivy is the best Unova Pokemon ever
Musashi said that She could study English in a Japanese version of a Sinnoh Episode of Pokemon, Is Language Barrier possible in Pokemon World... Satoshi speaks Japanese while Non-Japanese Region Characters speaks either American, French, Hawaiian, English respectively for Unova, Kalos, Alola, Galar.

So I wonder why Language Barrier was avoided altogether in Pokemon World?
Remember what I say about it?
Well, Is There a Language Barrier in Pokemon Universe? has it been Confirmed at all?

KirliaToon50

Snivy is the best Unova Pokemon ever
In the games (at least the Unova ones that I remember) there are some NPCs who speak others languages, like French and Spanish, so... yeah, I think yes.
In my Headcanon: Ash Ketchum or Satoshi in Japanese version speaks Japanese but he learned American English, French, Hawaiian and British English for unknown reason, maybe through language books?
I wonder if Serena is also from Kanto Region and speaks Japanese much like Ash Ketchum or Satoshi.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Remember what I say about it?
Well, Is There a Language Barrier in Pokemon Universe? has it been Confirmed at all?
If it's worth anything, we've had multiple writing systems in this anime. https://www.pocketmonsters.net/content/Anime_Language

This could mean there is a language barrier or the anime team is inefficient that they put way too much effort into what is new writing system and waste time and energy in "denihonizing" the series.

Rune Knight

This might be a little off-topic, but I did feel like it is interesting enough to share regarding the current conversation. In Jojo, people have often speculated upon what language the characters use to communicate with one another since they are of different nationalities, and have come up with pretty decent answers.

Part 1 - English
Part 2 - English
Part 3 - English
Part 4 - Japanese
Part 5 - Italian
Part 6 - English
Part 7- English
Part 8 - Japanese

This has also intrigued me when thinking about the Pokémon world, since the regions are based on locations set in different countries.

By the way this is just a fun theory and not meant to be taken seriously.

Since the most common language in our world is English, it would not be too crazy to assume that this same rule would apply to Pokémon. So my guess is that throughout OG to DP, they speak Japanese since those regions are set in Japan. In BW and SM, they communicate in English, since Unova and Alola are based on New York and Hawaii respectively. In XY, they also communicate in English, since the main characters aside from Ash are French but need to talk to him in some way. In JN, they mostly speak Japanese but switch to English when they go to international regions.

Since English is taught in many schools around the world, it would not be too farfetched to also think that the characters would learn the language from a young age.

Of course, we as the audience are interpreting them in the language that we decide to watch it in.

I know that it is just an anime, and we're probably not meant to look far into it, but this is fun for me and I don't really think that it hurts the overall flow of the series. It is most likely that they all just speak the same language.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.