1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters (2019) Characters Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 29, 2019.

1. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

so, @Dephender was it confirmed that the rainbow wing was what Ash had on his backpack or was that just a mistranslation?

2. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

I have no idea what you're talking about. Probably a mistranslation.

3. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper of the Gates Ambitious

I think people are just assuming that because of the Twitter illustration thing.

4. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

If the Rainbow Wing was indeed the item held in his backpack looks like Ho-oh could be a major plot point in PM2019. I just hope it isnt a rehash of M20's plot

5. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

6. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

[​IMG]

Gotta say. Not everyday do you get this kind of quality official artwork for the anime. Getting a lot of Pokemon game/manga vibes from the recent artworks dedicated to individual episodes. Probably shouldn't get my hopes up but this kind of artwork does get my hopes up that this series turns out to be the big one that fans are looking for, the kind of series that makes fans realize everything before was just the beginning, that they haven't actually seen anything awesome yet.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  7. AuraChannelerChris

8. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

You know I wonder speaking of the illustrations that we've been getting for each of the new episodes, do you think it's safe to say that this is going to be a thing from now on with this series where we get a illustration for everyone of it's episodes, or do you think this just going to be the case for the first few episodes?

9. shoz999

And yet here are Pokemon fans still waiting for that good stuff. I don't know about you but I love it when a fan realizes there is something far more bigger out there than they originally envisioned, like a One Piece fan thinking the Shichibukai are the strongest powers throughout the world of One Piece only to later realize, the world is far far bigger than that and with that, far far stronger powers out there that makes previous characters look average in comparison.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  10. AuraChannelerChris

11. shoz999

That's a funny joke but I think it's funny because of my interpretation of the joke that may be wrong or right. Let me take a guess from those four words. You believe this anime series won't be any different from the previous series because based on the condescending tone of the joke, the fans will still continue complaining and nitpicking on a daily basis as a reflection of the show's quality, that it will still just be more of the same than anything mind-blowing. Not only that but you pretty much ignored the rest of my comment talking about the potential this anime series could have. How right or wrong am I? :D Well regardless of what you think, gotta admit the artwork for the anime looks awesome that you want to see at least one or two episodes right?

mehmeh1 likes this.
  12. Gou is left handed, meaning he is automatically the best character. #leftiesunite

Dogasu handily summarised some of animedia interviews:

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095004891185152

- Apart from being left handed, Gou is meant to be a city boy with a pretty face who assesses the situation more calmly, in contrast to Ash being from the sticks and acting impulsively (so already, you can see conflict arising from this simple personality clash).

- Gou doesn't mind travelling alone. He also has a "bit of an ego", and the team are being careful not to have him come across as unlikeable.

- Dr. Sakuragi has an almost childish enthusiasm for research, which can embarrass Koharu.

- Rica Matsumoto was directed to play Ash "a bit younger" in Sun and Moon, but hasn't received such direction this time around. So perhaps there'll be less excitable screaming from Ash this time around.

- It seems there'll be a smaller cast, if only because the recording booth was crowded during SM and apparently it can get really hot in there.

- The most interesting part: Pokemon 2019 will have more self-contained stories and fewer two-parters and multi-episode arcs due to its new timeslot. As people tend to go out with family/friends on Sundays, they don't necessarily have the time to stay at home and watch every episode. To that end, this new series may be designed so that people can jump in with any episode. The episode titles released so far suggest this will be the case as well.

The last part sound goods to me, because Pokemon has always been excellent at telling self-contained stories. It has been by far its biggest strength as a show. Meanwhile, the longer-form story-telling has always been inconsistent. So I'm all for Pokemon playing to its strengths.

I speculated before about the new director and writers taking the series in a more character-driven direction, just based on their previous work. I think this format will help with that

I don't think we should assume this means the death of all arcs, either. There can still be character arcs; you just might not get a 13-episode epic like the Aether arc in SM or a huge multi-episode finale like the Alola League or the Team Flare arc.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:56 AM
  13. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Well-Known Member

Ok, that's great. I want Go to have as much personality as possible, and even better if he clashes with Ash.

Not sure how I feel about this though. Well, I guess as long as something interesting/funny is happening in those episodes, I'll be satisfied with that. But at the same time this just screams 'we'll have lots of filler episodes'.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  14. If the show is designed around one-off, self-contained stories, then we'll have to change our definition of "filler". If their purpose is no longer to fill the space/time between major story beats, then we can't call them "filler" in the first place. I don't believe Pokemon has filler anyway, but that's a different argument.

It's fair to expect there'll be a few duds due to the sheer number of episodes, but I'm hopeful the frequent changes of scenery will help keep things interesting.

15. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Gou's left-handed? Apologizing for making Ilima a rightie, I see. /s

Do we have many left-handed people in the anime? That's not something I pay attention to.

I hope that won't affect how they'll catch Pokemon. Gou's probably gonna catch very few permanent team members (if at all), but Ash is probably not going to go past his usual team of six.

16. Bortgreen

Bortgreen Pocket Monsters looks great!

Yeah, if we still consider the same type of episode as filler we basically have a massive amount of them lol
    Unless Gou captures something in most of the episodes, this woul nake them non-filler by definition

17. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Oh nice good. Less focus on overarching story and development is exactly what I don't want. Really happy about that change. Thanks

BabaVanga likes this.
  18. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Regarding the entire "episodic nature" thing, here's what the interview actually says:
    It's being blown WAY out of proportion here. The way Negishi describes the show here is how it has, for the most part, always been written.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    Spider-Phoenix and mehmeh1 like this.
  19. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

That part about more one off episode I’m not a fan of since there basically saying pm2019 is going to be majorly filler with no interest to it.

20. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Episodic I don't mind. Self-contained annoys me a bit since I was hoping for old companions to show up. I guess they could still show up, but I'm not liking the chances.

Except that's not what filler is. Filler implies we have to fill spaces for a storyline. Since this is more episodic, then we would barely have filler because the nature of the show has changed. It's like saying Spongebob or Looney Tunes has filler.