• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I really think you need to reevaluate how you make arguments. Because Ash has gotten starters that were actually female before. They have no issue with giving him feminine/female Pokemon. Because none of them have ever made sense and just because you think it doesn't will it into existence. Is it confirmed that doing the professor's research will stop Ash from doing the gyms? No. The gyms could actually be part of the research. You don't have that much to go on and there way too many assumptions that are often proven wrong. Leavanny is pretty feminine and he got one. Just because he got a male one doesn't make it not feminine. And also Sobble and Grookey seem pretty gender neutral

Besides, we just had a feminine Water starter.... if anything one would assume it'd be Grookey's turn given Delphox and Primarina?
Though there could also just not be a feminine starter at all this time! It's not a requirement... we don't even have the middle stage forms yet so it's literally impossible to tell

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I really think you need to reevaluate how you make arguments. Because Ash has gotten starters that were actually female before. They have no issue with giving him feminine/female Pokemon.

so would you care if he got Galar Ponyta?

I dunno why but I'm starting to want to see Ash get it along with Sirfetch'd.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Hopefully they break James' curse and let him capture two Pokemon. Cause I could see it going to either Polteageist or Impidimp... and I really want Polteageist on his team.
I want James to get two Pokemon, and an evolution this saga. It's so depressing seeing him get no team changes at all anymore, even move changes rarely happen. Mareanie did learn a new move eventually.... but only one. And Inkay went throughout XYZ without any changes at all! :/
James also hasn't even evolved a single Pokemon since the OS.

Zariful

so would you care if he got Galar Ponyta?

I dunno why but I'm starting to want to see Ash get it along with Sirfetch'd.
Hey it gives him a psychic type. And if it evolves into a flying Pegasus, that would be epic. Psychic/Fairy flying Pegasus.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Honestly, the idea of Professor Oak being phased out of the anime show and never returning just makes Unshō Ishizuka's passing even more depressing.

It's like visiting the Pokémon World only to feel that something's missing there.

I do wonder though... Giovanni's first VA, Hirotaka Suzuoki, passed away in July 2006 in the middle of AG, yet Giovanni didn't disappear into the background forever. They got a new VA, Kenta Miyake, to fill in the role of Giovanni to this very day and Giovanni was heavily active during the BW saga (and to a lesser extent, the SM saga). Why is Giovanni the rare exception?
Because TRio aren't going anywhere unless Ash goes, and they need their scary boss.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
And considering this new series is introducing a new anime-only Kanto professor to be Satoshi's mentor, it's pretty likely that they're phasing Professor Okido out of the show because they DON'T want to use the character any more. And that's a character who they've already replaced the VA for out of necessity.

Characters are associated with their voices and fans consider it part of them. There's nothing to be gained by making a character return when you know that means the voice will have to be replaced. It just won't be the same, and most fans would prefer the character to live on in their memory instead of showing up in an altered form that wouldn't feel right.

And chances are that's what's going to happen. Okido got recast in SM because he HAD to appear in more SM episodes. Sakuraba was presumably created so Okido never has to appear again. And Haruka? Nobody's going to be negatively affected if she never makes another appearance. She's not crucial for any further episodes of the show the way Okido was for SM.

Makes me wonder hadn't Mr. Unsho Ishizuka pass would they have made Pallet Town the home base instead of Vermillon City.

World Turtle

Hey it gives him a psychic type. And if it evolves into a flying Pegasus, that would be epic. Psychic/Fairy flying Pegasus.

Also the "Ash is a Brony" memes would be hilarious!

...I'm still waiting to see the whole generation before making my picks. Seeing the whole picture makes choosing easier.

Konja7

Makes me wonder hadn't Mr. Unsho Ishizuka pass would they have made Pallet Town the home base instead of Vermillon City.

I don't think that's the main reason. They can replace VA, it isn't so uncommon in Japan.

In fact, they've already do this in SM for Professor Okido. So, it would be even easier to continue using the new VA in the new season.

It's more likely they just want to use a new professor for a "fresh start" in the new season.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I do wonder though... Giovanni's first VA, Hirotaka Suzuoki, passed away in July 2006 in the middle of AG, yet Giovanni didn't disappear into the background forever. They got a new VA, Kenta Miyake, to fill in the role of Giovanni to this very day and Giovanni was heavily active during the BW saga (and to a lesser extent, the SM saga). Why is Giovanni the rare exception?

If I were to guess, I'd say it's because he's the boss of the Rocket trio, and they're too important to the show to get rid of. And if they want to do something with them and their interaction with the organization as a whole, he sort of needs to be present.
Okido, however, doesn't serve any immediate purpose to the show outside of "the guy that takes care of Satoshi's Pokemon for him". He appeared in two episodes of XY total, Satoshi sending/receiving Pokemon from him was done off-screen all the time - the show has made it pretty clear that he doesn't NEED to appear on-screen with dialogue or anything.
So while they gave him a new voice and all that, I do think they'd rather prefer to just keep him out of the show from now on and let him live on in people's memories with his Ishizuka voice.

Exactly.
They didn't start conceptualizing this new series until after Ishizuka had passed away, so it's impossible to tell what they'd have done had it not happened, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that "Ishizuka is no longer with us" was a thought that probably existed SOMEWHERE in the heads of the powers that be at the time they decided that Satoshi and Go would be living with and working with an anime-original professor from Kanto.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm not really sure if the timeline for Mr. Ishizuka's departure matches the planning stage of the series. Sure. It's been over 1 year by now. Still, all things considered the upcoming anime could have been very advanced in the planning stage by that time.

Not saying it isn't the case, it does make sense. Just not sure considering the timing.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Or maybe they ask Rica to pick stuff. That'd actually be funny if it were true.

Very unlikely. Some Pokémon are most likely chosen by popularity (like the starters) or for a convenient link with the games (like the regional birds up until SM). While for others, they probably pick up the ones they feel are more suited to Ash

colomb

Perhaps they didn't use Pallet Town because they didn't want people to expect characters such as his mother and his other pokemon to appear all the time. Vermillion is more practical for a show that tends to prefer ignoring continuity. A large city also makes more sense as a home base for characters travelling around the world. There are probably other reasons as well.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Perhaps they didn't use Pallet Town because they didn't want people to expect characters such as his mother and his other pokemon to appear all the time. Vermillion is more practical for a show that tends to prefer ignoring continuity. A large city also makes more sense as a home base for characters travelling around the world. There are probably other reasons as well.
Not to mention Vermillion being a port town, much easier to get around the world when you have access to sea travel.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
This is a clearly unconventional saga. I wouldn't be surprised if not all of Ash's captures are Galarian Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not to mention Vermillion being a port town, much easier to get around the world when you have access to sea travel.
Except that might be negated entirely due to the fact that there is a teleportation device in the lab according to some of the screenshots.

TomRC121991

If Ash go back in the Hoenn Region, maybe he will catch Galarian Zigzagoon then it will evolved into Linoone.
Do you think that he will going to catch Trapinch, then a Bagon, then a Aron, then a Shuppet, then a Solrock, then a Lunatone, then a Beldum, then a Carvanha, then a Nincada, then a Duskull, then a Baltoy or even an Anorith.
Or meeting up with Max again or Drew?

Status
Not open for further replies.