• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash's PWC opponents:

h4x96ncm4ux61.jpg

nickdt

By that logic Ash shouldn’t have a Dragonite since it’s not current gen Pokémon and doesn’t have Gigantamax form.

It’s pretty clear that Journeys is not solely focused on gen 8, but focuses on all the generations instead. So it doesn’t matter if Mega Evolution isn’t the current mechanic, as that doesn’t prevent Ash from Mega Evolving his Lucario.

Look it would be one thing if this series was like the previous series where Ash’s is trapped in the current region and the series just focuses on gen 8. However the current series is very clearly not solely focused on gen 8.

Considering that Ash’s Lucario looks up to Korrina’s Lucario and knows it can Mega Evolve, and considering that Korrina is likely showing up again, it’s pretty likely that Ash will have a Mega Lucario.

I just don't think they want to have Mega's overshadow Gigantamax, especially if used by the main character of the show, in the generation where its not the current mechanic.

ShadowForce720

I just don't think they want to have Mega's overshadow Gigantamax, especially if used by the main character of the show, in the generation where its not the current mechanic.
Ash using Mega Evolution is not going to overshadow Gigantamax. As let’s not forget that basically one of the final battles if not the final battle that they set up is Ash vs Leon which will most certainly come down to Gigantamax Pikachu vs Gigantamax Charizard.

Plus they could easily have a situation where we get some battles where it’s Mega Evolution vs Gigantamax.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
The current season does not focus on one game, the protagonists not only travel to Galar. I would advise you not to follow the game mechanics when you watch anime.
Are there regions like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Kalos in Sword Shield? Oh no, sorry.
Ah, one more thing. There were four people in the Sun & Moon series who used Mega Evolution.

nickdt

The current season does not focus on one game, the protagonists not only travel to Galar. I would advise you not to follow the game mechanics when you watch anime.
Are there regions like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Kalos in Sword Shield? Oh no, sorry.
Ah, one more thing. There were four people in the Sun & Moon series who used Mega Evolution.

Mega's were in the Alola games.

MartínK

Hmm you knowing looking at it this is most likely Ash’s Dragonite’s current move set:

Ash’s Dragonite:
Dragon Dance(Dragon)
Dragon Claw(Dragon)
Hurricane(Flying)
Draco Meteor(Dragon)

I get that some times Ash’s Pokémon will have 3 moves of the same type but personally I wouldn’t mind Dragonite replaces one of it’s 3 Dragon type moves with a move that has a different type(other then Flying).

I think at this point it Hurricane and Draco Meteor are locks at this point in terms of them not getting replaced. So this means that if it does learn another move after Draco Meteor that it would replace Dragon Dance or Dragon Claw.

I think that they replace Hyper Beam for Draco Meteor, now with Dragon Claw as his only attack that can be boosted with Dragon Dance i think that it´s not necessary to have it, so replace Dragon Dance for Flamethrower (Coverage) or Aqua Tail (Coverage and a powerfull move)

True but post game and only accesible by buying it with Battle Points.

nickdt

I think that they replace Hyper Beam for Draco Meteor, now with Dragon Claw as his only attack that can be boosted with Dragon Dance i think that it´s not necessary to have it, so replace Dragon Dance for Flamethrower (Coverage) or Aqua Tail (Coverage and a powerfull move)

True but post game and only accesible by buying it with Battle Points.

How is Aqua Tail coverage?

Iron Tail covers three of Dragonite's main weaknesses: Fairy, Ice and Rock

Scuff

Squirtle Squad
It could be a Clefairy or a Vulpix too. They all have similar shapes for the top of their heads.
Lillie owns an Alolan Vulpix so she's one possibility.
And maybe the scrapped female trainer from red/green since I think she could have any of those Pokemon.
I was assuming it was just the mic Jigglypuff returning and for whatever reason, they decided to throw it in the teaser.

desdar300

I mean to be fair gmax along with most things sword and shield are barely shown in Journeys as is.
At this point it's clear Nostalgia is is the primary goal over any amount of substance so a Mega Evolution would tie in well with the Lucario Mythos set up in Pokemon X and Y.
Also, being slightly faithful doesn't mean that they won't incorporate brand new stuff like fairy types or other new mechanics

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
My theory may be absurd... but well, anything is possible in Journeys. What if Sabrina gives Ash a new Pokemon for winning? What if it's Gardevoir?
I guess that would be a great cool reference to Ash giving her Haunter in OS.
Well, Gardevoir now a days is more treated as a Fairy type, than Psychic. So, i doubt Sabrina would give him one, especially if she appears as a Pokémon World Championships participant and fights Ash.
Problem is, unlike Mega's Dynamax/Gigantamax are kind of limited, as they can't be used easily, and are lock to special "power spot" type of places. So, other than the final League of the Pokémon World Championships, we probably won't be seeing them that much to begin with.
So, Mega's won't really affect the situation that much, even if focused (plus they have already been showcased in the "Journeys").

First of all, Boosting moves in the Anime work differently than in the Games.

While in the games, Dragon Dance boosts the ATK & SPD of the Pokemon.
In the Anime, it boosts the Speed and Power of the Pokemon, meaning it even boosts Special/Ranged moves. Same applies on other boosting moves as well.

In short, in the Anime, there is no concept of ATK, S.ATK, DEF, S.DEF.
Its just Power, Defense and Speed.

As for which move replaces Draco Meteor, my fear is that, it probably replaces Hurricane.
Reason being, that Dragonite used Hurricane (in Counter-Shield style), and converted the power of Haxorus's Dragon Pulse to create/learn Draco Meteor.
And most of the time in the Anime, when a move is used to learn another move, the base move is usually written-off by the writers.

How is Aqua Tail coverage?

Iron Tail covers three of Dragonite's main weaknesses: Fairy, Ice and Rock
I doubt, any other Pokemon on Ash's team would use/learn "Iron Tail" that easily, since its Pikachu's signature.
And while you might give the example of Ash's Naganadel learning Thunderbolt, another of Pikachu's signature. Well, it only learned and used it almost near the end of the Alola Saga, and then left Ash's team soon afterwards (its stayed with Ash like for 5 episodes).

Well, atleast Dragonite does have the ability to learn Steel Wing and Iron Head

As for Aqua Tail, considering the presences of Dracovish, i doubt it would learn it.

Instead, it could learn, Extreme Speed or Ice Punch.
Extreme Speed, because Ash's Dragonite was losing in terms of speed against both Iris' Dragonite and Haxorus (it could potentially replace Dragon Dance, since Anime focuses more on the Speed gain from it, than Power gain).
While Ice Punch because, it couldn't properly fight of against Iris' Dragonite, as it was losing in terms of power against it.

Last edited:
Mega are in Journey series.

While in the games, Dragon Dance boosts the ATK & SPD of the Pokemon.
In the Anime, it boosts the Speed and Power of the Pokemon, meaning it even boosts Special/Ranged moves. Same applies on other boosting moves as well.

In short, in the Anime, there is no concept of ATK, S.ATK, DEF, S.DEF.
Its just Power, Defense and Speed.
According to the MC of Manalo Conference and the MC in the match between Korrina vs Ash, it differ.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Well, Gardevoir now a days is more treated as a Fairy type, than Psychic. So, i doubt Sabrina would give him one, especially if she appears as a Pokémon World Championships participant and fights Ash.

I still kind of want Ash to get a Gardevoir though, even if it's unlikely.
Problem is, unlike Mega's Dynamax/Gigantamax are kind of limited, as they can't be used easily, and are lock to special "power spot" type of places. So, other than the final League of the Pokémon World Championships, we probably won't be seeing them that much to begin with.

Another thing is, it's pretty much been established in both the games and anime that Dyna/Gigantamaxing can not be done outside of Galar, because the concept is derived from Eternatus's influence, and I doubt all of Ash's important battles are going to happen in Galar alone.

so why not let him use the mega evolution and z-moves if the need arises?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Considering how Iwane did fanart of some old CotD's, I'd assume his remark was about all those non-game characters he had fun drawing but won't be used duo being irrelevant.

There's times the internet irritates me but there are those times where I remember why I love it.

Brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.