• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) manga discussion thread

Konja7

It was informed that the manga of Kosaku Anakubo's "Pocket Monsters" is ending (after 23 years).

It seems a new manga (based on the new season of the anime) will start to replace it:

index.php

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Wow, always nice to get an anime-based manga. Will definetely pick it up. I'm still sour I can't get to buy that DP one that had Ash and Dawn travelling together (with no Brock or TR!)

Judging for the artstyle, I'm assuming Kemon Kawamoto is doing it?

Like his work though I'm still bitter he didn't use Serena, Greninja and Clemont in the Volcanion movie adaptation.

World Turtle

I wonder if the manga will deviate from the anime regarding team selection? The first anime-based manga gave Ash a Fearow, Beedrill, and an Oddish for example.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I wouldn't use "Dengeki Pikachu" as a comparison. Back then the franchise was in its infancy so they could get away with a lot of things. Also Dengeki is so different from the anime to the point of almost being its own thing.

Though it was a take in the show.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Judging for the artstyle, I'm assuming Kemon Kawamoto is doing it?

It's Machito Gomi.

I wouldn't use "Dengeki Pikachu" as a comparison. Back then the franchise was in its infancy so they could get away with a lot of things. Also Dengeki is so different from the anime to the point of almost being its own thing.

That goes for all these anime-based series. Satoshi & Pikachu basically takes anime episode plots and yuks them up really hard, and that Diamond & Pearl-based manga had basically nothing to do with the anime aside from sharing two of the anime's three main characters. So I wouldn't expect this to be a manga consisting of particularly accurate episode adaptations or anything like that.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
It's Machito Gomi.

That goes for all these anime-based series. Satoshi & Pikachu basically takes anime episode plots and yuks them up really hard, and that Diamond & Pearl-based manga had basically nothing to do with the anime aside from sharing two of the anime's three main characters. So I wouldn't expect this to be a manga consisting of particularly accurate episode adaptations or anything like that.
Question this don't replaced the special manga right ? Some YouTuber named name RuffledRowlet getting misinformation about it replaced the special manga

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

johno1995

Excited to see scans for this—I am curious to see what tone the manga will take and how it will differentiate from the anime.

TotallyNotCrt

I'll be providing news summaries and some pictures of the new series as I get it in.
For those who don't know, I cover the Special/Adventures series in other threads.

Gomi-sensei drew a doodle to celebrate that their work is being sold today in Japan.
EJUr5jaUYAACRBl.png

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Nice to see Ash reminiscing about his older Pokemon.

Please put a scene like this in the anime to put the nail in the Reboot theory coffin for good
Recently an image from the new series showed Ash's room which had his hoenn sinnoh unova kalos badges, his hoenn symbols, his orange island trophy, his Indigo plateau top 16 trophy, his alola league trophy and masked royal trophy. Safe to say that reboot theory is dead

Red and Blue

Recently an image from the new series showed Ash's room which had his hoenn sinnoh unova kalos badges, his hoenn symbols, his orange island trophy, his Indigo plateau top 16 trophy, his alola league trophy and masked royal trophy. Safe to say that reboot theory is dead
I know. I figured if they have show Ash thinking about his older Pokemon in the anime that would convince people still in doubt

TotallyNotCrt

Pocket Monster Manga Chapter 1
Manga by Machito Gomi
Summary by Crt @strawhatcrt

Pictures can be found here to not clutter the entire post:
https://strawhatcrt.tumblr.com/post/189074163476/

Notes: Character names will be in Japanese (sorry!)

Pokemon names will be in English. Cities are not decided yet.

The story follows with Satoshi being driven in a car by Professor Ookido. He asks where they're going, and the Professor says that his peer opened up a laboratory.

They arrive at Sakuragi's lab where he describes about seeing Pokemon nearly everywhere and that people and pokemon live in the world by being connected, and so that's what his lab hopes to achieve and he wants to make the world better.
Satoshi sees a Pokemon behind him that he's never seen before. It screams and Satoshi runs up to it petting it on the head before getting zapped.
Koharu picks up Wanpachi asking what it's doing, and Satoshi is surprisingly fine and eager to learn more about Yamper, but Koharu runs away thinking he's suspicious much to Satoshi's disappointment. Koharu looks around and says to herself that she told Gou to come today, but he's nowhere to be found.

Elsewhere at Kuchiba City (Vermillion), Gou's calculated where "it" will appear. Satoshi, in the general vicinity dashes toward where a gust of wind appears and everyone joins in.

To everyone's shock, it's Lugia and everyone battles it in hopes of capturing it. It doesn't work and their Pokemon are all knocked out.
Satoshi is the only one left and challenges Lugia to a one-on-one with Pikachu. Pikachu manages to injure it with Thunderbolt. Lugia fights and tries to run away and Satoshi tries to chase after it, but runs into Gou. They butt heads and ride on Lugia's back.
Lugia takes them underwater and sightseeing and Gou finds Satoshi interesting saying that he accepts Satoshi. Satoshi asks accepts what, and Gou says that Satoshi's now his friend and offers him a handshake.

He introduces himself as Gou from Kuchiba (Vermillion) City and Satoshi introduces himself as someone from Masara (Pallet) Town and introduces his partner Pikachu to him.

Lugia smiles and throws them off afterward as they land on Vileplumes. They panic after thanking Lugia because they're completely lost but somehow make it back to Sakuragi's laboratory. They show him closeups of Lugia, exciting the Professor and he has them join him as his assistants and asks them to meet and interact with various Pokemon.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
That sounds...pretty identical to what we've seen in the trailers for the anime. I wonder if the manga will closely follow the anime or if there'll be some major changes.

Konja7

That sounds...pretty identical to what we've seen in the trailers for the anime. I wonder if the manga will closely follow the anime or if there'll be some major changes.

As it is the first chapter, it isn't strange to start similar to the anime.

It's hard to know how similar this manga is going to be to the anime. After all, we don't know how the story is going to develop in the anime (we don't even know if the anime is going to have an overarching plot that the manga could follow).

Last edited: