• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
1. Okay. I get that it's in the first poster. But, unlike Dragonite, Gengar and Lucario - it's actually quite hard to spot and its depiction in TINY.
Ash and Dragonair? What? A lot of promo? Please provide evidence, because I have never EVER seen any promotional material with Ash and Dragonair specifically.
I agree on Gengar (solely for the Ghost-type and the potential that it MIGHT Gigantamax) and Lucario. In Lucario's case, it also adds the possibility to showcase Steel Beam more often (and it fighting-style is vastly different to Melmetal).

2. No, never heard of any such speculation. Phanpy as a make-up for Rhyhorn is also reaching as there was never such a reference made during the actual time Phanpy was on the team. Why couldn't Heracross compensate for both if this speculation is indeed true? xD Just because something is efficient suddenly means it isn't fitting a selfdefined theory anymore? xD Where was Lapras' replacement then by the way? Or a compensation for all the Pokémon Ash wanted to capture in Kanto that he never came around to? No, you haven't convinced me that there was widespread speculation for Ash and Tyrogue (nor Dragonair while we're at it).

3. I saw you already reacted to someone about this. It's just a game thing mostly. That small group that can't breed and aren't legendary - those are the group canonically classified as the babies (whether they are lvl1 or lvl100, or heck 10 years old). That doesn't mean that we still can't have a baby Squirtle, but that doesn't mean it belongs into that group - because in the games it can breed as soon as it hatches.

1º) That depends on the poster's quality. I mean, way more difficult to pot in the poster in Meltan, next to Mimikyu in the Alola's zone. There was quite a lot of promo of Ash with Dragonair, but it had to be removed when the episode of the Safari Zone was banned; as that's where Ash and Dragonair started to appear together then. We could also count the scene at the original opening where Ash and Pikachu where on Lapras while a Gyarados and a Dragonair appeared in front of them. And I don't think Lucario will learn the Steel Beam. I think the Metal Claw (which looks like Wolverine's claws) will be used instead.

2º) You might not have realized, but for a long time, turns out that when people thought that Ash would capture a Pokemon and failed, he instead got a similar one in the next Generation. (By the way, Glalie was like Lapras' replacement for being an Ice Type for Ash). That's one of the clues for people especulating about Ash getting Tyrogue. If you need examples of what I said about "compensations", there are these:
+ Phanpy/Donphan for Ash because he failed to catch Rhyhorn.
+ Glalie was for Ash because he lacked an Ice Type after freeing Lapras, who by the way, it momentarily returned in the previous Generation.
+ Gible was to compensate that Ash didn't capture a Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon, which is a Ground/Dragon Type too.
+ Torterra can be a compensation for Venusaur and Blastoise, as Bulbasaur and Squirtle still haven't evolve to this day. Torterra physically looks like Venusaur and at the same time, it is a "tortoise" just like Blastoise.
+ Both Infernape and Pignite can be partially compensations for Primeape, as one is a Fighting Monkey and the other one is a Fighting Pig, as Primeape is a weird mix between a monkey and a pig. Not to mention their Fire type can be a reference to the Pokemon that allowed Ash to capture Primeape.
+ Litten/Torracat/Incineroar might be a compensation because Ash didn't capture Litleo/Pyroar in Kalos, as he replaced a lion for a tiger.
+ Finally, Trevenant and Pumpkaboo were too Pokemon that were especulated for Ash to capture because of their Grass type and their Ghost Type; but instead, Ash got Rowlet in Alola, which evolves into a Grass/Ghost type too, Decidueye.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Juaquin said:
while im not apposed of grookey going to ash i prefer it goes to Koharu it will be a nice rival to yamper for her affection and possibly add to character development and they can keep it unevolved to sell toys/plushies

I'm not sure how Wanpachi being involved in another jealousy subplot would be appealing. I really like Sarunori and I actually want it to appear often, which it probably wouldn't do if Koharu gets it. Now that Gou's confirmed to have a permanent team, I would rather see him get it since it would appear more often under his care than under Koharu's.

Sidagam

Geez, I must be one of the few people that actually doesn't want Ash to get any of the Galar starters, including Grookey. Just cause I just think he really doesnt have any need for them now. There are just other Galar mons that I think are better off on being on his team and Grookey isn't one of them. Give me that Corviknight, Dragapult, or even that Obstagoon instead.

Yea I don't want it for Ash either. Won't be too bothered it he does catch it, but if I had to choose I'd rather he doesn't. He has 6 previous Grass starters, 4 of them unevolved! Bring back Snivy or Bayleef for Evolutions later on if they really want a Grass starter on his squad.

And as you say, loads of cool Galar options for Ash. Corviknight, Toxtricity, Orbeetle, Frosmoth, Dragapult, Grimmsnarl. Would take any of those over the starters

KKS-Lapras

The one thing I will say in terms Ash's team. Ash already has a team of 5 Pokemon, and we know Riolu is going to evolve because of the new opening, not that this is a surprise to anyone. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Ash ends up with a team of more then 6 Pokemon by the end of Gen 8. With that in mind, I personally will be surprised if he doesn't end up with at least one of the Galar starters. There's nothing to say he has to, but I suspect he will in the end. At this point Grookey is the most likely as I doubt Goh will trade Sobble to Ash.

I do think it is highly likely he'll end up with more then 6 Pokemon rotating on his current team.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
The one thing I will say in terms Ash's team. Ash already has a team of 5 Pokemon, and we know Riolu is going to evolve because of the new opening, not that this is a surprise to anyone. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Ash ends up with a team of more then 6 Pokemon by the end of Gen 8. With that in mind, I personally will be surprised if he doesn't end up with at least one of the Galar starters. There's nothing to say he has to, but I suspect he will in the end. At this point Grookey is the most likely as I doubt Goh will trade Sobble to Ash.

I do think it is highly likely he'll end up with more then 6 Pokemon rotating on his current team.
I mean, technically that’s been obvious since when Ash caught Dragonite.

If the Alolan reserves return, I hope ffs they don’t use them until far later. Let whatever new crap Ash catches get the spotlight, not his reserves that got enough already.
Super late response - But yeah, no I completely agree. In terms of reserves, I would prefer that Ash uses the ones that don't get enough spotlight rather than the ones that get plenty (Charizard, Sceptile, etc.). Of course, he could use those reserves too, but I rather he use them far later against the really tough opponents. For his Alolan team, at least a glimpse of them would be nice rather than him using them for the PWC right off the bat...Simply because they've been avoiding giving even just a tiny glimpse of his reserves. (Then again, Gengar and Dragonite are also not getting much screen-time/battles either and he caught them in this series...)

Sidagam

Super late response - But yeah, no I completely agree. In terms of reserves, I would prefer that Ash uses the ones that don't get enough spotlight rather than the ones that get plenty (Charizard, Sceptile, etc.). Of course, he could use those reserves too, but I rather he use them far later against the really tough opponents. For his Alolan team, at least a glimpse of them would be nice rather than him using them for the PWC right off the bat...Simply because they've been avoiding giving even just a tiny glimpse of his reserves. (Then again, Gengar and Dragonite are also not getting much screen-time/battles either and he caught them in this series...)

TBF everyone seems to want Incineroar to get a battle as an Incineroar (me included) and I wouldn't mind seeing Melmetal battle again since it barely got any. But only when Ash is visiting them in Alola

As for other reserves yea, I wouldn't want them to be used till way later in the series. It's going to be pretty hard to beat Champions with a brand new team. Those battles are going to require the likes of Greninja/ Infernape/ Sceptile/ Charizard for Ash to have a legitimate and believable shot at the top 8

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
TBF everyone seems to want Incineroar to get a battle as an Incineroar (me included) and I wouldn't mind seeing Melmetal battle again since it barely got any. But only when Ash is visiting them in Alola

As for other reserves yea, I wouldn't want them to be used till way later in the series. It's going to be pretty hard to beat Champions with a brand new team. Those battles are going to require the likes of Greninja/ Infernape/ Sceptile/ Charizard for Ash to have a legitimate and believable shot at the top 8

Letting the Alola squad fight Kiawe and then bringing them home so they're ready to fight later would be the preferred scenario.
Just give Kiawe new Pokemon from Ash's time away so that all of Ash's Pokemon can fight(Or just let Lycanroc and Rowlet sit it out as they got enough fights)

PsychoLogical

Oh ye forgot to mention: Now that Flygon’s been scratched off the list of what Hoenn mons could join the squad (thank god tbh), now to think about what new Hoenn mon they intend to have Ash own (and yes I’m still confident and staunchly believe that he’s still getting a new Hoenn mon). I’m going to guess that the writers plan on having Ash own a Hoenn mon that’s more marketable or I guess you can say more “iconic” to the region. Which tbh really only narrows it down to only 4 (putting aside Rayquaza which is obviously what people will likely think of when thinking of Hoenn and it’s Legendary so it doesn’t count) And those choices are technically:
-Blaziken
-Metagross
-Absol
-Gardevoir

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Still not onboard with the idea with him catching at least one Pokémon from each region.

Red and Blue

Aside from Grookey I have no idea what to expect. Guess I just have to wait for more episode titles or merchandise

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
-Blaziken
-Metagross
-Absol
-Gardevoir
I'd go with the "modest" option and say absol will have a chance. I'd say blaziken, but, riolu/lucario is pretty much Ash's "starter" this saga, so I don't think is possible anymore. Metagross and gardevoir looks solid enough, but I think they'll priorize their early stages instead the fully evolved ones right on the bat, for now.

Honestly, I'm kinda worried the opening rememebrs too much a "season finale" thing, with eternatus, riolu evolving (I'd assume it'll be the key for Ash solving his "slump") and all. But, this saga loves its baits, more than any of the previous ones.

Still not onboard with the idea with him catching at least one Pokémon from each region.
Fair. Counting pikachu & Mimey, and not counting farfetch'd, more than a half of his team are Kanto mons. They could simply keep like that, with riolu and farfetch's being the only odd balls.

Particularly, I find Unova as good as done for him, I consider the Sinnoh department done now he finally have riolu (even if I wanted mamoswine too) and he really didn't need more Kanto mons. On the other hand, he could, at least, have use for one extra member from each of the other regions, except, maybe, Johto and Alola. Honestly, I have no hope anymore for him having more Galar mons, but, hey, we barely at the half of the saga, anyway.

To other guesses, I'll assume Lana finally evolved her eevee and caught that dewpider. Kiawe leveled up a little more and got a magmortar. Sophocles got something in his visit to Houenn (maybe electrike/manectric). Mallow have nothing, because it's Mallow.

dman_dustin

Edit: I'm also not a fan of Go getting Flygon and Aerodactyl, sure they're absolutely different types so nothing prevents Go from getting Aerodactyl, I just don't see the point, when something like Kabutops/Omastar and any other fossil Pokemon would've made more sense.

It would be pointless to have this be a world tour series and not have Ash capture Pokemon he was unable to in the previous generations. But its your opinion, so, whatever happens happens.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It would be pointless to have this be a world tour series and not have Ash capture Pokemon he was unable to in the previous generations. But its your opinion, so, whatever happens happens.
I don't think they've handled the world series aspect of this series well at all so the captures not taking advantage of it doesn't seem unlikely to me.

PsychoLogical

I'd go with the "modest" option and say absol will have a chance. I'd say blaziken, but, riolu/lucario is pretty much Ash's "starter" this saga, so I don't think is possible anymore. Metagross and gardevoir looks solid enough, but I think they'll prioritize their early stages instead the fully evolved ones right on the bat, for now.

Honestly, I'm kinda worried the opening remembers too much a "season finale" thing, with eternatus, riolu evolving (I'd assume it'll be the key for Ash solving his "slump") and all. But, this saga loves its baits, more than any of the previous ones.
The slump arc is likely ending at the Alola ep(s) anyways. I wouldn't expect it to last long. Can't really call Lucario a "starter" even if its clear it's on Ash's permanent team for this saga, still going to be say that he's getting at least 1 new mon from each region otherwise this world tour series would be pointless and worthless if the main attraction doesn't.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
The new OP shows it's unlikely Ash will use Mega Evolution since Lucario didn't have a Mega Stone band.
Goh's future team is too strong for a newbie trainer. May as well give this kid Gameshark so he can enter the PWC with boxart legendaries and beat Leon himself. This Gary Stu feels like some fanfic self-insert and the writer is trying too hard to make the audience like him.
Disappointed with the return of the Alola cast since we just had them. Needs the Hoenn and Sinnoh crew.

esquilo09

Oh ye forgot to mention: Now that Flygon’s been scratched off the list of what Hoenn mons could join the squad (thank god tbh), now to think about what new Hoenn mon they intend to have Ash own (and yes I’m still confident and staunchly believe that he’s still getting a new Hoenn mon). I’m going to guess that the writers plan on having Ash own a Hoenn mon that’s more marketable or I guess you can say more “iconic” to the region. Which tbh really only narrows it down to only 4 (putting aside Rayquaza which is obviously what people will likely think of when thinking of Hoenn and it’s Legendary so it doesn’t count) And those choices are technically:
-Blaziken
-Metagross
-Absol
-Gardevoir
You forgot to add Salamence and Aggron as possible Hoenn captures for Ash.

ShadowForce720

The new OP shows it's unlikely Ash will use Mega Evolution since Lucario didn't have a Mega Stone band.
Goh's future team is too strong for a newbie trainer. May as well give this kid Gameshark so he can enter the PWC with boxart legendaries and beat Leon himself. This Gary Stu feels like some fanfic self-insert and the writer is trying too hard to make the audience like him.
Disappointed with the return of the Alola cast since we just had them. Needs the Hoenn and Sinnoh crew.

Honesty I don’t think that can really be taken as proof that it’s unlikely that Ash will use Mega Evolution, because they can easily update the opening when he gets his key Stone and Mega Stone for Lucario.

PsychoLogical

You forgot to add Salamence and Aggron as possible Hoenn captures for Ash.
Most people don't actually think of Salamence and Aggron when they think about Hoenn. Aside from Rayquaza, these 4 I put are often the most talked about and considered some of the iconic mons of Hoenn with Blaziken being at the top out of these 4.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
The slump arc is likely ending at the Alola ep(s) anyways.
Well, it's Ash's second home, after all, he could actually chill and ponder over what the buck Bea did to make him a mess or something. Go is probably evolving his pikachu into alolan raichu there too. But, let's see.

Yeah, the world tour is a thing, but, Go is the only one getting everything on sight, while Ash is selective. I just want they don't let Ash's team too full of representatives from a single region.

Status
Not open for further replies.