• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Pokémon Speculation Thread

nickdt

It is true in every series where Ash start over with only Pikachu, he find new unevolved pokemon and train them from zero. Starting from the weakest gym and ending with strongest gym as his pokemon get stronger by time.

Even one of the purpose of gym match is for the gym leader to give advice to trainers. There is a reason why it is called gym. Gym is place for training/exercise.

When you lose you can just repeat (nothing to lose, not even rank), unlike league match where you are eliminated if you lose. Clearly just training phase. It is like school phase vs work phase, it is okay if you make mistake at school but not at work.
You can also repeat the league if you lose, main difference is that you just have to wait another year.

You can also repeat the league if you lose, main difference is that you just have to wait another year.
That is a key difference though.

In gym battle, your opponent (gym leader) do not battle at full power, they are restricted by a rule that prevent them from switching. Afterall, the role of gym leaders is to make the trainer grow and test them.

Furthermore, if you lose, you can just retry, in fact you have unlimited number of retries, there is no retry cost, and no mandatory delay between retries.

The point is, gym battle is to make the trainer and pokemon grow stronger.

If I want to compare pokemons, I will compare them at their final stage, so in case of Greninja, I won't look at the record as Froakie-Greninja but solely as Ash-Greninja after they master the form at snowball episode.

Last edited:

Kawaii Emolga

The cutest EVER!!!!
Fans wanted Ash to have a Lucario, now people are starting to hate Riolu on Ash's team because it "hogs" screen time. I guess fans are never satisfied.
I never wanted Ash to get a Lucario, cause I knew that would happen, everything it's just about Riolu/Lucario! I mean, it's a cool pokémon and it fits Ash, but Ash have others pokémon besides Riolu and Pikachu. Why can't the writers give proper screentime to everyone?!
I was so annoyed in XYZ, when everything was about Greninja and that bond thing (I found that boring tbh), and now they are doing this again with Riolu/Lucario.

PsychoLogical

I never wanted Ash to get a Lucario, cause I knew that would happen, everything it's just about Riolu/Lucario! I mean, it's a cool pokémon and it fits Ash, but Ash have others pokémon besides Riolu and Pikachu. Why can't the writers give proper screentime to everyone?!
I was so annoyed in XYZ, when everything was about Greninja and that bond thing (I found that boring tbh), and now they are doing this again with Riolu/Lucario.
It's called the marketing curse. This is an unfortunate situation that's been around in every series except in Sun and Moon. It's not new and has been around for years. There's going to be that one mon getting it with SM basically being the very rare exception. You got Charizard getting everything and even after it was gone in favor of moving towards the Johto Squad, it wasn't enough. Sceptile cause it's Sceptile and the rest of the team was just lackluster except Swellow. Infernape in DP (would've been Lucario if they had decided to have him own one but didn't) cause of Paul and the Blaze arc. Every Ash capture that wasn't the starters, Pikachu, Scraggy, and Krookodile in BW cause they thought it was a good idea to have Ash catch lacklusters just to try replicating the OS. Greninja in XY for obvious reasons, and then Journeys which at the moment it's Lucario.

nickdt

It's called the marketing curse. This is an unfortunate situation that's been around in every series except in Sun and Moon. It's not new and has been around for years. There's going to be that one mon getting it with SM basically being the very rare exception. You got Charizard getting everything and even after it was gone in favor of moving towards the Johto Squad, it wasn't enough. Sceptile cause it's Sceptile and the rest of the team was just lackluster except Swellow. Infernape in DP (would've been Lucario if they had decided to have him own one but didn't) cause of Paul and the Blaze arc. Every Ash capture that wasn't the starters, Pikachu, Scraggy, and Krookodile in BW cause they thought it was a good idea to have Ash catch lacklusters just to try replicating the OS. Greninja in XY for obvious reasons, and then Journeys which at the moment it's Lucario.
tbh, it was around in Sun and Moon as well, because Rowlet didn't evolve.

PsychoLogical

tbh, it was around in Sun and Moon as well, because Rowlet didn't evolve.
It really wasn't. All of them got plenty of screentime (yes even Naganadel when it was still a Poipole) even if it was basically Lycanroc and Incineroar (as a Torracat at the time) , and Rowlet was a marketing machine due to its cutesy appearance so it wasn't going to evolve anyways and the fact that it took so long to finally confirm that it wasn't going to seemed to be very obvious (if this is what you mean)

LucarioFTWs

It really wasn't. All of them got plenty of screentime (yes even Naganadel when it was still a Poipole) even if it was basically Lycanroc and Incineroar (as a Torracat at the time) , and Rowlet was a marketing machine due to its cutesy appearance so it wasn't going to evolve anyways and the fact that it took so long to finally confirm that it wasn't going to seemed to be very obvious (if this is what you mean)
Rowlet is the best pokemon. It’s the first pokemon i didn’t want ash to have his pokemon evolve. It’s so cute when i play sun and moon i’m going to give rowlet an everstone too!

Now watch as greninja appears during the climax of the dd arc one shot Eternatus to save the day and tiggers everyone XD.
Image that. Tbh I wouldnt be surprised if something like that would happen. We are talking about pokemon here

Decidueye23

I agree they all got good screen time and good arcs narratively .But Poipole was just there. Barely did anything. until it came back as naganadel. Torracat did not get to be a part of 1 grand trial atleast. i would say that they balanced them in the end by giving all of them a good battle in the league but until then Pikachu and Lycanrock, dominated the focus with rowlett getting a lot of gag focus and some battle focus.
This prob doesnt mean anything, but its odd that Yamper and Greninja are the only ones who arent part of the DD plot (not that we know)
i do think when they want to market ash's greninja they ll put the AG form insted of a regular greninja. So i dont think this is ash's greninja

nickdt

Exactly, since Rowlet was a marketing machine, it wasn't gonna evolve, meaning Marketing was involved, since if it wasn't, it would have evolved.

Jibanyan

People need to stop saying Riolu is similar to Greninja or Infernape, Frogadier evolved in the second year of XY and previous, the rest of Ash's Pokémon has lots of battles, especially Talonflame. Ash got Chimchar at the end of the first year of DP and while it had lots of focus as a Chimchar, it only evolved into Infernape at the last year of DP. It hasn't been even a year for Journeys and Riolu gets so much focus and will continue to get unless Ash gets a bigger shillmon and the rest gets barely anything, they are Palpitoad tier at this point because even the weakest Ash's Pokémon like Torkoal still had some screentime.

PsychoLogical

Exactly, since Rowlet was a marketing machine, it wasn't gonna evolve, meaning Marketing was involved, since if it wasn't, it would have evolved.
What I'm describing as the "marketing curse" is whatever mon Ash has getting way more screentime than the others than usual. SM was the first time none of Ash's mons got way more screentime than the others. Lycanroc ofc got the most but not by much and has ended up getting its focus shifted to Torracat at the time. In every other series it was like this:
OS (Kanto and Johto): Charizard
AG: Sceptile
DP: Infernape
XY: Greninja
JN: Lucario (for now since it's unknown if it'll keep alot of focus when it evolves during DD)

Pokegirl Fan~

Lillie's sister
People need to stop saying Riolu is similar to Greninja or Infernape, Frogadier evolved in the second year of XY and previous, the rest of Ash's Pokémon has lots of battles, especially Talonflame. Ash got Chimchar at the end of the first year of DP and while it had lots of focus as a Chimchar, it only evolved into Infernape at the last year of DP. It hasn't been even a year for Journeys and Riolu gets so much focus and will continue to get unless Ash gets a bigger shillmon and the rest gets barely anything, they are Palpitoad tier at this point because even the weakest Ash's Pokémon like Torkoal still had some screentime.
I agree, neither Infernape or Greninja were this bad at hogging screentime and it'll only get worse once Riolu evolves since Lucario are the writers favorite pets.

The XY squad was just Greninja and Pikachu hard carrying jobbers anyways, and a trainwreck in captures really. Even had the nerve to turn the original Kalos ace Talonflame into a jobber despite way more accomplishments and battles it had pre-Greninja. The two Dragons were absolute disasters, Goodra being one of the most pointless captures ever done and Noivern was just a useless jobber and prob the most useless mon Ash has ever owned.

I want to know who tf thought having 3 flyers was a good idea. Couldve had something else like an Aegislash but it was never meant to be.
And people got mad at me for mentioning that the salt toward AG from specific people was reaching astronomical levels lol. It's getting funnier and funnier to read.