• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Pokémon Speculation Thread

PsychoLogical

I hope not. One shillmon per series is enough.
And then every shillmon Ash has returns later on and then Ash potentially catches even more shillmons cause why tf not. He just needs one from Johto, Hoenn, Unova, and Galar now to complete the set of having at least 1 shillmon from every region. (Tho... is there even a shillmon for Unova or Galar? hm)

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
If you consider the g-max forms, Ash already have g-max pikachu as a Kanto and Galar shillmon. From Unova...the dragon duo is very shilled. If not them, I'd say zoroa/zoroark, darmanitan (already taken) or volcarona? Personally, I vote for carracosta (archeops is ridiculous in so many levels).

If he's not getting marshtomp, I hope for something else from Houenn. Absol is the second best thing in shilling terms, or another oddball, like zangoose. And I still want girl meowstic as the Kalos representative, if greninja isn't coming back.

PsychoLogical

If you consider the g-max forms, Ash already have g-max pikachu as a Kanto and Galar shillmon. From Unova...the dragon duo is very shilled. If not them, I'd say zoroa/zoroark, darmanitan (already taken) or volcarona?

If he's not getting marshtomp, I hope for something else from Houenn. Absol is the second best thing in shilling terms, or another oddball, like zangoose.
Nah the ultimate shillmon of Hoenn is literally Blaziken :>
And nah, he still needs an actual Galar mon that could be a shillmon but I can't think of what candidate(s) that could be. In Unova, there's really no actual shillmon now that I think about it. There just really isn't.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
People need to stop saying Riolu is similar to Greninja or Infernape, Frogadier evolved in the second year of XY and previous, the rest of Ash's Pokémon has lots of battles, especially Talonflame. Ash got Chimchar at the end of the first year of DP and while it had lots of focus as a Chimchar, it only evolved into Infernape at the last year of DP.
Considering Infernape's overall win count in all forms, I would disagree because I clearly recall people hating on it for that(not that I cared, I enjoyed it), especially during the battle with Candice and of course the league match with Paul, going so far as to label it as worse than Charizard.

Greninja also did go there once the Ash-Greninja transformation plot kicked in as they focused on that more than the rest of his team.

It hasn't been even a year for Journeys and Riolu gets so much focus and will continue to get unless Ash gets a bigger shillmon and the rest gets barely anything, they are Palpitoad tier at this point because even the weakest Ash's Pokémon like Torkoal still had some screentime.
if Screentime alone was enough to give the "ace" status to a pokemon Totodile would've been Ash's jouto ace simply due to how much it was used compared to the others, but in the end it never had any good battle feats to it's name other than beating Sneasal in the league, and that's pretty sad all things considered.

It matters more to me what a pokemon does combat wise than what it does screentime wise, because just seeing it a lot doesn't mean it's going to be a strong fighter.

Even then if Riolu does turn out to be Ash's "Ace" I wouldn't have a problem with it given how popular it is overall and the fact that I do like it, I mean if it was a pokemon that you liked you'd probably look the other way yourself and not be hating it.

Last edited:

Applecorp

And people got mad at me for mentioning that the salt toward AG from specific people was reaching astronomical levels lol. It's getting funnier and funnier to read.
What's your point? His post perfectly outlines why Greninja and Pika to a lesser extent stole the focus from Talonflame, Noivern and Goodra which is 100% correct. Why do Greninja fans try to move the goalposts any time people point out how exposed he was and how his spotlight hogging hurt other Pokemon on the team?

Pikachu can be blamed for some of that sure but Greninja got way more development and attention back then so it's completely fair to complain about the frog.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Almighty Zard said:
Considering Infernape's overall win count in all forms, I would disagree because I clearly recall people hating on it for that(not that I cared, I enjoyed it), especially during the battle with Candice and of course the league match with Paul, going so far as to label it as worse than Charizard.
He received a lot of focus even as a Hikozaru, which extended all the way until he evolved into Goukazaru, so I can see why some viewers were exasperated by his character arc since it went on for about three years. And while I don't hate Goukazaru now, I do wish that he'd gotten less battle screen-time in some of the Gyms.

World Turtle

If you consider the g-max forms, Ash already have g-max pikachu as a Kanto and Galar shillmon. From Unova...the dragon duo is very shilled. If not them, I'd say zoroa/zoroark, darmanitan (already taken) or volcarona? Personally, I vote for carracosta (archeops is ridiculous in so many levels).

If he's not getting marshtomp, I hope for something else from Houenn. Absol is the second best thing in shilling terms, or another oddball, like zangoose. And I still want girl meowstic as the Kalos representative, if greninja isn't coming back.
I too would like Zangoose. Then Jessie brings back Seviper. Or Gou catches one and Looney Tunes styled shenanigans result.

Dragapult.
That could work.
Yes please.

What's your point? His post perfectly outlines why Greninja and Pika to a lesser extent stole the focus from Talonflame, Noivern and Goodra which is 100% correct. Why do Greninja fans try to move the goalposts any time people point out how exposed he was and how his spotlight hogging hurt other Pokemon on the team?

Pikachu can be blamed for some of that sure but Greninja got way more development and attention back then so it's completely fair to complain about the frog.
His post doesn't perfectly outline anything. If you think a host of exaggerations mean anything, be my guest.

Goodra had a perfect arc. Nothing about AG somehow " stole " the focus from Goodra. People should go back and watch Goodra's story arc. It's incredibly concise and hard-hitting with great emotional resonance. It was done even before the 8th gym. Hard choice between the Korrina arc and the Goodra arc in determining my overall rank of arcs in XY/XYZ...

As already outlined in a prior post, Talonflame was a major force in almost every gym battle. There's absolutely nothing to the suggestion that AG somehow stole the focus from Talonflame.

The only Pokemon that was hampered by AG was Noivern and I'm perfectly willing to cede that point. However, if I had to choose between more Noivern development to the detriment of AG, I would choose what was in the show itself.

Where did I move the goalposts? Clearly, I was just making fun of the irrational hate AG is subject to.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
World Turtle said:
I too would like Zangoose. Then Jessie brings back Seviper. Or Gou catches one and Looney Tunes styled shenanigans result.
Zangoose is pure Normal however which isn't particularly useful or interesting as a type, and Zangoose is almost a gimmick Pokemon as well due to its well-known rivalry with Habunake. I suppose that I could overlook the plainness of Zangoose's type, but I don't like the idea of it being a novelty Pokemon, which is almost certainly what it would become if it were to join the cast.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It’s almost like the fan base isn’t one person and that it wasn’t an unanimous opinion for wanting Ash to get Lucario.
Speaking entirely by myself and myself only:

I've never, ever wanted Ash to get Riolu... Or Lucario for that matter. He getting it is the only negative on Journeys for me so far.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I’ll talk by myself, but I always liked the idea of Ash with a lucario, but as an average mon, not different of any other capture. Obviously is impossible, but, I prefer wait and see what they’ll do.

Nah the ultimate shillmon of Hoenn is literally Blaziken :>
And nah, he still needs an actual Galar mon that could be a shillmon but I can't think of what candidate(s) that could be. In Unova, there's really no actual shillmon now that I think about it. There just really isn't.
My personal favorite is hatterene, even if it's "girly” and probably not the most shilled Galar mon. I like the irony of a pokemon that likes silence being trained by Ash “so loud” Ketchum. Also, Ash will have a “knight”, depending on how much time sirfetch’d will debut, a “witch” sounds fitting.

Also, I don’t see the appeal in dragapult. It looks...derpy.

If was my choice, it would be pikachu + occasional reserves, plus:

Region hop team: Gengar, tyranitar, zangoose, lucario, carracosta, female meowstic, golisopod
Galar team: Rolycoly, hatterene, sirfetch'd, drednaw, duraludon, inteleon

Zangoose is pure Normal however which isn't particularly useful or interesting as a type, and Zangoose is almost a gimmick Pokemon as well due to its well-known rivalry with Habunake. I suppose that I could overlook the plainness of Zangoose's type, but I don't like the idea of it being a novelty Pokemon, which is almost certainly what it would become if it were to join the cast.
Personally, normal types are kinda versatile in comparison to other types and zangoose have actually a good movepool and a cool design (my opinion). But, again, it’s everything personal taste. I used zangoose during gen VI and it was very useful. Also, it’s better than, let’s say, give Ash slaking or bewear, who are essentially another versions of his snorlax.

Last edited:

LucarioFTWs

People always acting like if AG wasn’t there all of ash’s pokemon will get the same amount of screentime. There would just be another ace in the place of AG. There will never be a series that gives all of his pokemon equal time on the screen because of pikachu. Pikachu usually has 2x amount of battles than any other pokemon including the ace. This is especially looking bad in journeys. Ash is using Pikachu for literally every battle. It’s not riolu’s fault that pikachu is taking all the screentime. Riolu is literally a baby pokemon too it need screentime to develop. On top of that we aren’t even 1/3rd of the way in the series. I’m sure the other pokemon will get their own arcs. Just be patient

Leonhart

Imagineer
LucarioFTWs said:
People always acting like if AG wasn’t there all of ash’s pokemon will get the same amount of screentime. There would just be another ace in the place of AG.
While I won't deny that possibility, I think I still would've rather seen Luchabull for instance be Satoshi's ace Pokemon back then. He was already quite popular, but probably not in a way that would've caused Fiarrow to be overshadowed, and I also think that Onvern would've gotten more screen-time even with Luchabull around than he did with Gekkouga hanging around. But I don't like "what if" scenarios that deal with things that can never be changed: what's done is done.