• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I don't know if it's ever been done before: but would it be possible for a character/companion from a prior series to meet another character/companion from another prior series even though they never met within their own?

Ex: Serena meeting Dawn.

To answer your question it hasn’t been done before. Is it possible? yeah, well it happen? who know, as it’s hard to say.

World Turtle

No more Kanto please.
BTW I do find it hilarious that Ash's Pokemon, if you count evolution lines, makes up almost half of the Kanto Top 30 poll (Charizard, Gengar, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Dragonite, Lapras, Snorlax, Squirtle, Blastoise, Muk, Charmander, Raichu, Dragonair, Venusaur).

I do think because of this its hard for me to pick out something from Hoenn. I mean the only one on that Top 30 poll Ash has owned is the Treeko line.

Look at the others (counting entire evolution lines for reference)
Johto: Cyndaquil line, Totodile, Feraligatr, Chikorita, Heracross
Sinnoh: Lucario, Garchomp, Infernape, Torterra, Turtwig, Gliscor,
Staraptor,
Unova: Snivy, Serperior, Oshawott, Krookodile
Kalos: Greninja, Froakie, Goomy, Goodra, Noivern, Talonflame, Hawlucha
Alola: Rowlet, Decidueye, Litten, Incineroar, Lycanroc, in the Galar poll but part of the Alola Team: Meltan, Melmetal

Left off Galar since its still a work in progress, but yeah its hard for me to get a good feeling for a potential Hoenn capture when he never got any 'popular' Hoenn Pokemon aside from the grass starter. Flygon was the best bet and well that's not happening now.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
So why does Ash have to get a legendary Pokemon if Go catches one or more(he already has Melmetal)? The whole point of Go is that he's out to catch Pokemon for the most part so of course he would take the initiative to catch them if its possible compared to Ash where there's usual plot going on that would otherwise prevent him from doing.

Master Pikachu 11

So why does Ash have to get a legendary Pokemon if Go catches one or more(he already has Melmetal)? The whole point of Go is that he's out to catch Pokemon for the most part so of course he would take the initiative to catch them if its possible compared to Ash where there's usual plot going on that would otherwise prevent him from doing.
Because Melmetal is a mythical and not a legendary pokemon, which is part of a separate and distinct group. Also it’s not in the same category as something like Zapados, Moltres, Articuno, etc. Also unlike Goh, Ash can use it battle so say if the writers decide to bring back Tobias, then Ash can have more of a chance to take on other trainers that own Legendary pokemon as well. I just don’t like the idea of Goh catching a legendary pokemon and keeping it in a lab and never using it like he never uses Golurk who is his strongest pokemon that he currently owns right now. Also as I mentioned in a previous post, Goh is still a rookie trainer and the idea of seeing a rookie catching a legendary doesn’t sit well with me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Deitylight said:

I don't like the logic that's being spun regarding Satoshi having to capture a Legendary Pokemon just because Gou might get one. They aren't competing against each other nor are their goals the same, so Satoshi's captures shouldn't have to match or correlate with Gou's captures.

MegaSalamence05

Ash should catch a Legendary Pokemon based on the merit of being Regional Champion and all of the prior accomplishments in the regional leagues.

Top 16 - Kanto
Top 8 - Johto
Top 8 - Hoenn
Top 4 - Sinnoh
Top 8 - Unova
Top 2 - Kalos
Winner - Alola
Galar -N/A - Undetermined

Not based on the merit if a Companion catches a Legendary he should catch a Legendary in response. Ash is the reigning, defending undisputed Champion of the Alola Region. He's it as soon as Melmetal happened the possibility of Ash owning any Legendary Pokemon it became possible. I feel like it's a natural progression to capitalize on.

Which it comes back to the argument of Lugia/Eternatus/Mewtwo honestly speaking. Let's hypothetically say Goh caught Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres which are Legendary Pokemon the Trio from Kanto. As soon as that happens if Goh starts to battle (kinda know that now with the opening but it could be misleading). If Goh uses the trinity how does Ash combat it. As we don't know if the two protagonists are going to have a friendly rivalry. But you're right the two characters don't have the same goals or ambitions.

Last edited:
would it be possible for a character/companion from a prior series to meet another character/companion from another prior series
I am a little bit confused with the question...
even though they never met within their own
Aren't those 2 statements contradictory?

Brock and Cilan have met in an episode without Ash. Cilan and Clemont + Bonnie have also met in an episode without Ash.

Do you mean metting without shown in any episode?

ShadowForce720

I am a little bit confused with the question...

Aren't those 2 statements contradictory?

Brock and Cilan have met in an episode without Ash. Cilan and Clemont + Bonnie have also met in an episode without Ash.

Do you mean metting without shown in any episode?

What Rune Knight means would be a situation like Serena meeting Dawn in Pokémon Journeys or Misty meeting Iris, and so forth.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
Because Melmetal is a mythical and not a legendary pokemon, which is part of a separate and distinct group. Also it’s not in the same category as something like Zapados, Moltres, Articuno, etc. Also unlike Goh, Ash can use it battle so say if the writers decide to bring back Tobias, then Ash can have more of a chance to take on other trainers that own Legendary pokemon as well. I just don’t like the idea of Goh catching a legendary pokemon and keeping it in a lab and never using it like he never uses Golurk who is his strongest pokemon that he currently owns right now. Also as I mentioned in a previous post, Goh is still a rookie trainer and the idea of seeing a rookie catching a legendary doesn’t sit well with me.
So by what metric does Go eventually stop being a rookie trainer and is "allowed" to catch legendary and mythical Pokemon considering its his stated goal to get Mew. We don't have a progression scale like gym battles or island challenges to exactly gauge exactly when he "deserves" to catch one aside from the number of Pokemon he's caught and his whole point is trying to catch as many Pokemon as possible for a vague preparation for Mew. I imagine even if he did started battling more often with his Pokemon, it wouldn't exactly please some people because he caught already strong Pokemon like Golurk which took a group effort to take down and he still will likely not battle as nearly as much as Ash.

Master Pikachu 11

I don't like the logic that's being spun regarding Satoshi having to capture a Legendary Pokemon just because Gou might get one. They aren't competing against each other nor are their goals the same, so Satoshi's captures shouldn't have to match or correlate with Gou's captures.
Even though their goals are not the same, they have competed against each other for captures. Not every capture, but some captures such as Gengar and Golurk for example.
So by what metric does Go eventually stop being a rookie trainer and is "allowed" to catch legendary and mythical Pokemon considering its his stated goal to get Mew. We don't have a progression scale like gym battles or island challenges to exactly gauge exactly when he "deserves" to catch one aside from the number of Pokemon he's caught and his whole point is trying to catch as many Pokemon as possible for a vague preparation for Mew. I imagine even if he did started battling more often with his Pokemon, it wouldn't exactly please some people because he caught already strong Pokemon like Golurk which took a group effort to take down and he still will likely not battle as nearly as much as Ash.
Toward the later part of the series or even when his Pokémon that he currently has are able to grow and get stronger with him. It’s just too soon for him to catch a Legendary Pokémon right now and also there are many legendary Pokémon that should not be caught anyway, so don’t expect a Pokémon like Tapu Koko to get caught because of its role as an Island guardian, don’t expect Dialga and Palkia to be caught either. What I am trying to say is that when you have a protagonist that starts catching legendary Pokémon and you don’t give your other protagonist any legendary Pokémon because you think that protagonist will be over powered, but it’s ok for the other protagonist because he doesn’t battle against other trainers that much, so he can catch them, then that shows favoritism for one character over another. Ash worked hard to finally win a league after 7 generations, people that have watched this series since OS have always talked about Ash catching a legendary Pokémon and many believed that Ash shouldn’t catch one until he finally becomes a Pokémon Master. Now you have a new companion that also shares the spotlight with Ash, with a goal to capture all Pokémon and your going to give him legendary Pokémon, so that they can sit in a lab as part of a collection and do nothing but be in the background, but not give Ash who has been in the anime since the anime started, just doesn’t sit right with me. I rather see nobody catch Zapados and for it to stay wild then for it to sit in a lab and not be used.

BlazingAsh

Hopefully he doesn't
Where do you go after Mew? Switch it to some other Pokemon and send him on his way? That'd make his goal even worse than it already is, let him battle Mew but fail to beat it. Keeping Mew as his goal instead of removing it and slapping a lesser Pokemon in it's place like Celebi or Manaphy, Mew's top of the food chain!

He's not even attempting to look for Mew at all, as boring as Ash's current goal is progression wise at least we know Ash will face off against Leon as he is constantly progressing towards the point. Ash's victory over Leon will feel earned, and I hope he either wins or they let somebody else take the title. I don't want the overhyped 'unbeatable' champion as the World Champion going forward, I'd rather Ash or Cynthia/Lance take it since they don't use gimmicks as a crutch

His goal is to catch Mew only after he's done catching every other pokemon which is impossible considering all the legendaries he will have to catch and the 100s of Pokemon they'll keep adding every 3 years.

BlazingAsh

That wouldn't make sense. This is the world tour series so Ash will get at least one Pokemon from each region but a few more in Galar
They're not obligated to give Ash one from each region. They could just bring back his reserves. His Alolan team is most likely to return for the official battles in Alola

Rune Knight

I think that the premise is that they're giving him mons that fans always wanted him to get, but skipping straight over to their final stages in order to save time.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I mean early johto where he sucked on bulbasaur's bulb and only had two battles until it was transferred for Taurus and then Battle Gary's magmar and Blastoise , Spencer's venasaur, Nando's Kricketune and Tobias's darkrai. with 4 losses and 3 wins
I think a Pokémon being “battle ready” is a lot more than just win-loss records. I mean, sure, it has more losses than wins. But what were those losses against? Gary’s strongest mon and a Darkrai that nearly swept Ash’s team were two of those losses. Not to mention it had already taken damage from a super effective Magmar before battling Blastoise. It performed very well against Gary, and later on, even Tobias.

I think that the premise is that they're giving him mons that fans always wanted him to get, but skipping straight over to their final stages in order to save time.
But what if what the writers actually intended is to give him a lot of Kanto mons for PWC as he is a Kanto trainer?

What if they never intended to give him a lot of mons that fans always wanted?

What if Lucario is the only favorite that they want to give?

Does the writes ever officially stated that they want to give a lot of favorite pokemons from past generations for Ash this series?

Or does it our own assumption?

esquilo09

Go's Heracross knows Mega Horn and Fury Attack just like Ash's, except Go's also knows Arm Thrust and Aerial Ace. Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.