• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuskAstral

Probably the writers made Ash to leave his Alola moms with Kukui so that his Alola Pokemon like Incineroar and Melmetal can get more screen time in the new series especially in battling
I don't think that's the reason. I believe he left them there because they were just fine there. Alola not only has a different climate, but these Pokémon also have family and friends there.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Considering he has Flame Charge, Fire Blast, and Fire Fang, yes, it is redundant.

Yeah, that's why I'd want Flame Charge gone for something else. Darkest Lariat would work fairly well. Revenge can be kept or replaced by the much more useful Cross Chop

Either way, moveset change or not, I just hope Ash gets to use big tiger for a battle at least once.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah, that's why I'd want Flame Charge gone for something else. Darkest Lariat would work fairly well. Revenge can be kept or replaced by the much more useful Cross Chop

Either way, moveset change or not, I just hope Ash gets to use big tiger for a battle at least once.
Agreed. Those were just my ideal moves but he could use whatever moves the writers want. I just want to see it battle and interact with him

Rune Knight

I have a theory that they're going to replace the opening bit with the Alola Gang with more old characters, and that they'll do so every time after they appear.

So like: maybe the opening for PJ38 will feature characters from XY or the OS.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Considering he has Flame Charge, Fire Blast, and Fire Fang, yes, it is redundant.

Being physical or special never mattered in the anime and coverage rarely matters. I still stand by the notion that both Fire Fang/Blast are redundant. Having no reference to the basically the only Pokémon it battled and the reason behind both of its evolutions is weird. Don't see why he shouldn't have CC because of those 2 when he's always had coverage on a mon that another Pokémon's STAB covered (Greninja's Aerial Ace on a team with 3 Flying Types and Dig on Infernape on a team with 3 Ground Types.)

I don't think you're getting what I said. Incineroar is primarily a Fire-type. Fire-type moves should be the core of its moveset (unless they go the Dark-type route, but I think we all can reasonably assume that's not happening). All three moves have a clear and separate use (close range, speed and non-melee). Whereas Revenge and Cross Chop are both melee physical Fighting-type moves that shouldn't take up 50% of its moveset. If you're doing that then you have no point in calling Fire Blast redundant in the first place.

You can't call Fire Blast redudant and throw both Revenge ánd Cross Chop on a Fire/Dark-type - and not expect the redundancy argument to fall incredibly flat. I'm not saying that Incineroar shouldn't have CC because he already as 2 Fighting-types on his team. I'm saying that he shouldn't have Revenge AND CC on a Fire/Dark-type. What you proposed is the equivalent of giving Greninja Aerial Ace ánd Acrobatics to augment on your Greninja example.

As for your reference to the Sinnoh Team. Here's a hint: Ash never had 3 Ground-types on his team at ANY point during the DP-series, nor did Torterra and Gliscor have Ground-type damaging moves. So you're example boils down to Infernape and Gible both having Dig, which in turn again never fought in the same battle, but I guess for now the same can be said about Incineroar and his two 'Journeys'-Fighting-types.

Darkest Lariat will be that reference to Kukui's Incineroar. Problem solved.

Whether or not having a mixed set matters isn't relevant, but most of Ash's best Pokemon have moves that allow them to fight in close range or launch projectiles/shockwaves, just look at this list:
- Pikachu: Tbolt, ElectroWeb, Iron Tail (Volt Tackle back in the day).
- Charizard: Flamethrower, Seismic Toss, etc.
- Squirtle: Hydro Pump, Skull Bash.
- Muk: Body Slam, Sludge Bomb.
- Snorlax: Body Slam, Hyperbeam.
- Heracross: Megahorn, Hyperbeam.
- Quilava: Flame Wheel, Eruption.
- Bulbasaur/Bayleef: Vine Whip/Razor Leaf. And Solar Beam in Bulba's case.
- Noctowl: Sky Attack, Air Slash, Extrasensory.
- Donphan: Earthquake, Hidden Power, Hyperbeam.
- Sceptile: Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, Solarbeam.
- Infernape: Flare Blitz, Flamethrower
- Torterra: Leaf Storm, Rock Climb
- Buizel: Water Gun, Aqua Jet
- Gliscor/Krookodile: Mostly physical, but Stone Edge was basically a projectile move.
- Oshawott: Razor Shell, Aqua Jet, Hydro Pump.
- Pignite: Flame Charge, Flamethrower, Fire Pledge.
- Leavanny: X-Scissor, Energy Ball.
- Scraggy: HJK, Focus Blast.
- Boldore: Rock Smash, Rock Blast.
- Talonflame: Brave Bird, Razor Wind.
- Tauros: Take Down and Fissure (was treated as a move it could use without literally locking horns).
- Lycanroc: Stone Edge, Accelerock.
- Naganadel: X-scissor and Dragon Pulse.
- Melmetal: Flash Cannon and Double Iron Bash.
- Rowlet: Seed Bomb and Brave Bird.

Heck, the only ones I can remember purely one sided attackers are Primeape, Swellow, Staraptor, Hawlucha and as of now Farfetch'd (physical) and Lapras and Goodra (special). I think we can clearly say that for the clear majority, the writers do tend to use a mixture of physical and special moves (or at least moves that very clearly don't require contact i.e. Stone Edge, Seed Bomb and Water Shuriken).

And of the ones that were either one or the other, what stands out is that for physical the pokemon is either a Fighting-type or a bird (or both) and for special is slow and tanky (and coincidentally has Ice Beam) - and that they are among the least developed pokemon Ash actually has (especially Primeape and Lapras, but we all know Swellow, Staraptor and Hawlucha got little to no character development and Goodra clearly got rushed like hell). Meanwhile Farfetch'd is a work in progress but even then it's already clearly getting shafted along with Gengar.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
No, I got what you said but disagree with the sentiment on the simple fact that movesets barely matter. My reasoning was prioritizing coverage, variety in short/ranged attacks, or anything else (it was mentioned as a joke to its Smash moveset). I still do hold the opinion of FB being redundant on a Pokemon who had 2 Fire moves which is more redundant than having 2 Fighting moves though. Hated when his past starters had 2+ STAB moves and feel it should end here

DL doesn't do the same meaning as the other two moves and could easily run Darkest Lariat/Fire Fang/Revenge/whatever else to fully express all the major points of its character and its 4th move should be something entirely new as Fire Blast is boring on it IMO but could work.

All this talk over a Pokemon that probably won't battle so I'll drop it here lol

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
G-Farfetch'd's leak does make it pretty slow in battle, that's kind of why I want it to pick up Counter as a move option, because I feel it would help with it's lack of speed.

I know it's a long shot, but i'm hoping Ash does use Incineroar to some capacity during the alola episode and it hopefully has a dark move at it's disposal.

Sidagam

I doubt we'll see Incineroar in action any time soon, but if we're talking movesets, just drop Flame Charge (which would look odd being used by a tall bipedal tiger anyway) and replace it with Darkest Lariat.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I doubt we'll see Incineroar in action any time soon, but if we're talking movesets, just drop Flame Charge (which would look odd being used by a tall bipedal tiger anyway) and replace it with Darkest Lariat.
We've seen bipeds use it before like Pignite and Delphox. Also, since it's probably slower since it's bipedal now, the Speed boost would be a benefit.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Against Bea, it use Night Slash as ranged move.

Well, there you go. :)

We've seen bipeds use it before like Pignite and Delphox. Also, since it's probably slower since it's bipedal now, the Speed boost would be a benefit.

This and it also fits within the rivalry thing that it had with Kukui's, where it would boost its speed whereas Kukui's would bolster its att/def with Bulk Up.

The best moveset would probably be something like:
- Flame Charge: Its equivalent of Quick Attack and it jacks up its speed.
- Fire Blast: Strongest move it has and it's a ranged move.
- Darkest Lariat: Signature for the species and link to Kukui's.
- Low Sweep: Coverage against Rock-types and to further widen the speed delta.

nickdt

The Squirtle Squad, including Ash's Squirtle, were there for a photo op when Rotom dex was going around the ranch taking snapshots of Pokemon..

Maybe that's where they spend their time whilst not working for Jenny and the Fire Department..

Yeah, but the odd thing is: Bulbasaur was overjoyed when he saw Ash. Squirtle would have sprinted towards them to greet Ash as well (Unless it happened off-screen).

tsunamimijumaru

Just replace one of Incineroar's physical fire type moves with Darkest Lariat which it could pick up from Kukui's. Revenge could be replaced with Cross Chop as well, another move that could be picked up from Kukui's. They're both physical fighting type moves so having both on a mon who isn't a fighting type is redundant. Cross Chop has more base damage but Revenge ends up being stronger after taking damage. Flame Charge boosts it's speed but Fire Fang pays homage to Stoutland and I know Fire Blast does as well but I'd kinda like to see 2 moves each connected to the two mons where basically it's whole moveset came from.

Fire Fang
Fire Blast
Darkest Lariat
Revenge/Cross Chop

Or, if Incineroar does come back into action and Fire Fang doesn't matter then:

Flame Charge
Fire Blast
Darkest Lariat
(Insert fighting move)

Status
Not open for further replies.