1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters (2019) Pokémon Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

He'll catch multiples of alot of Pokemon so I'm fully prepared for that lol. I just wonder why he only caught one Tentacool in the new episode instead of two.

Leonhart likes this.
  2. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

I really wonder does Go only keep Hibunny on him? He has more than six and quite a few reserves so it would be ideal for him to rely on other Pokémon for catching. Using the status moves of some of his Bug-types like how he relied on Strike for a battle tournament or Tamanta for a race. I hope we can see him rely on these Pokémon in quirky manners throughout the series. Would be ridiculous to ignore them since they’re available at his leisure in Sakuragi’s Institute.

I’m also waiting for TR to use their gatcha machine and get some shitmon like Koiking or Nokocchi and then they actually turn out to be broken and give the boys a run for their money. Honestly I feel like we’ll be seeing a real threat factor once they showcase some Galar Pokémon or heck maybe they grow attached to one of their vending Pokémon and keep it permanently. But I wouldn’t mind something like a rivalry with boys’ Pokémon like Mimikyu/Pikachu or Kimori/Habunake.

3. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

I'd rather see the same Pokémon with multilayered characters you know like Dawn and Piplup, Brock and Croagunk, Misty and Psyduck...

I find her sole personality trait got old super quick. It's not Piplup, its the fact that its a copy and paste from Dawn's.

Why does he need more on hand Pokémon when his Rotom yells out "Good" "Great" "Excellent"?

Leonhart likes this.
  4. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

I didn't care about that (personally). I personally am more upset that the ONE episode that seemed to focus on Ash, turned out to be somewhat of a lie I guess, and it's about some Grandfather Grandson dynamic which honestly shouldn't have existed to begin with.

That coupled with the fact, they aren't doing with Ash at all except some random tournament just to have them tweet out the equivalent of "By the way Mimey is Ash's Mr. Mime, in case you didn't know" given the context of what's going, we have to wait UNTIL episode 13, maybe before they choose to do anything with Ash.

All of that is why there is such criticism. Look I don't care if Alola decided to treat Ash like a god at the end of the series, this is a new series and Ash shouldn't be constantly forgotten just because we have to watch some directionless slice of life series.

I don't care that Go is capturing Pokemon after episode, I care that they haven't even given anything to Ash, outside of the equivalent of withdrawing Mr. Mime from the PC.

IF they would just do SOMETHING nice with Ash, I'm fine, Go can capture fifty Pokemon in a single episode for all I care, as long as Ash gets something he gets to do something. If an episode revolves around him heavily, then yes let Go catch fifty Pokemon in a single episode, as a montage clip show, and I would accept.

What I'm not okay with, is Go being used in favor of Ash, and Ash is just primarily in the backseat because somehow Alola was enough of a "good treatment" so let's treat him like crap for a lengthy period of time. And sure I would maybe understand if they treated Ash like a continuation of Alola.

But they aren't, outside of his battling skill, there is no DIRECT continuity with the previous series. If someone brand new came into this series for the first time, they probably wouldn't understand why Ash even exists to begin with, sure that requires a lot of ignorance in part of that particular person, but the only thing they would know is, Ash likes battling, and Ash is using Pikachu and Mr. Mime. And because of that I have this huge problem, of them treating Ash like this, if they had a lot more continuity in regards to the last series and referenced it more, I could understand the need to scale back Ash.

But since this is a new series, regardless if it takes place in the same universe and comes after the 7th generation anime, and they are treating it like a new series, their treatment of Ash doesn't make sense.

batman14 and Paul1985 like this.
  5. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

It wouldn't feel weird, especially if it becomes Runerigus. Ash would look so awesome with one of those.

6. pancakemonster

pancakemonster Please bring them back

My problem with Ash not catching anything is just that there's definitely been time. Episode 1 was mostly inconsequential, episode 8 is definitely inconsequential. They easily could have had Sobble or Grookey featured, and it would have been insanely easy to throw in a quick Rookidee capture back when they were in the wild area in 5.

People say it's only been 8 episodes (really 12 since let's face it he's not getting anything in the titles we know) but the simple truth is there was time if they'd wanted it to happen.

I'm not surprised though, I think they've been overrelying on Pikachu even before this new series started, so while I don't think Go is the sole reason for Ash not catching anything, I do wonder if they were thinking that would make up for it.

Either way, hopefully things pick up for him soon.

Ubermuk, Kawaii Emolga and Paul1985 like this.
  7. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Yeah. I don't think that Ash would be heavily sidelined this saga.

8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've thought back to all the previous episodes from this series, but the only ones that stick out as being wasted opportunities for Satoshi to capture new Pokemon were the Galar episodes, at least from my point of view. Even though Gou spent some time trying to get Hibanny in those episodes, I felt that Satoshi could've easily gotten a Kusune or some other Galar Pokemon and it would've fit into the plot of those episodes without taking screen-time from Gou's subplot.

Ubermuk likes this.
  9. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

like I said it's just my opinion on that, I know that it doesn't matter to others like yourself, and that's fine.

if that did happen i'd be funny if James called Ash out for that, but then again considering they pretty much dumped their unova pokemon with little care, I guess it wouldn't matter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Leonhart likes this.
  10. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

So Gou has his Captures of the Week.
    Team Rocket have their rotating Monsters of the Week via their Gacha machine
    Kind of hoping Ash will get a combination of the two where he rotates + gets a capture every now and then

Kawaii Emolga, RLC and Paul1985 like this.
  11. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

Because maybe he has decided that he will just evolve just one and the bug episode was a one time thing. He only caught three Wurmple because he doesn’t know which one will evolve into a Beautifly or Dustox.

12. Paree

Paree Active Member

Ash will certainly get atleast one starter and one or two other Galar Mons. However, given the nature of the new series, we might not see Ash capturing a Galar team of 6. He might just use some of his old mons. I don't know if he'll use Mr.Mime again.
    In the episode "Showdown at poke-coral" from the OG series, Ash refers to Mr.Mime as his mom's pokemon. I don't know if its a dubbing error or it is the same in Japanese as well.

Kawaii Emolga and KenzeyEevee like this.
  13. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

Well right now it’s Ash relying on Pikachu too much and I understand that he is the mascot and all, but at the same time I agree, if TR gets to rotate Monsters of the week then Ash should have reserves that he can use as well. I hope they do something in the coming episodes because it will be very hard to get excited about this series, if Ash just uses Pikachu all the time. If he would already had Sobble then he could have used it in the ice flow race instead of having to watch Pikachu struggle.

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  14. esquilo09

esquilo09 Well-Known Member

Maybe because he only catches repeated species who has alternate evolutions, such as Eevee, Wurmple, Slowpoke and Tyrogue.

15. esquilo09

esquilo09 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add more details about the difference between Butterfree and Beedrill. Also a difference between Metapod.

Beedrill: Unlike the one Ash caught, it didn't deflect the Poké Ball and wasn't knocked out.

Metapod: Caught it already evolved instead of evolving his Caterpie.

Butterfree: Was caught already fully evolved instead of evolving his Caterpie all the way.

Ubermuk likes this.
  16. Spider-Phoenix and Ubermuk like this.
  17. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

18. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

It does feel unfair to me that both Gou and TR are getting "monsters of the week" either through captures or that Gacha machine while Ash is just left with Pikachu (and Mr. Mime). Of course Ash has always been about 'quality over quantity' and I wouldn't want that to change.

So I guess I start looking for a number. With There being 890+ species and it being Gou's goal to catch all of them. Maybe Ash gets 10% of that? Which would push him up to 89 different Pokemon.

Or maybe like I suggested before give him a nice rounded 30. 9 Galar, with the other regions getting 3 each.
    Or maybe 10 Galar with the Top 20 Most Wanted Picks for Ash from Kanto-Alola. You know if some regions have more/less than 3 they might want to give him.
    Or maybe 20-24 from across all eight regions with some getting more than others.

Idk I'm just spitballing ideas here how Ash can get a share of the captures that would feel satisfactory.

19. Paree

Paree Active Member

I just like to state that whenever Ash has caught more than 6 pokemon, his team has been bad or some of the pokemon haven't got the development they deserve.
    In the OG Series, Kingler, Muk and even Snorlax recieve way less screen time.
    Unova was his weakest team and he caught the most pokemon along with Kanto there.

Ubermuk likes this.
  20. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

To be fair though that mainly because when he had caught more then 6 pokemon in Kanto and Unova in both of those times he had all 3 of the regional starters which suck up a lot of the focus, not only that but those series where back when they had a time limit to where when for instance X&Y was coming out Unova had to wrap up regardless of where the pokemon were in development. Ash having a team here of more then 6 captures could easily work since because of the format of the series they could just go to the gen 9 region or any region whenever they want so they could also keep some pokemon on the main cast longer to fully developed them, not only that but Ash isn't really getting all 3 Galar starters meaning there is less pokemon that would drain the focus from the other pokemon.

wolf jani likes this.