• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Why Piplup for Ash? Is there any reasoning behind it or is it just a Pokemon you’d like him to have? I think it unlikely considering Dawn has one and Kukui and Barry have an Emploleon. Maybe if it evolved and stayed as a Prinplup it wouldn’t be so bad because I’m not sure anyone has one atm.

If he did get one it'd definitely be an out of left field capture, which I would endorse because I love being caught off guard.

double points if it evolved unlike Dawn's.

ShadowForce720

Why Piplup for Ash? Is there any reasoning behind it or is it just a Pokemon you’d like him to have? I think it unlikely considering Dawn has one and Kukui and Barry have an Emploleon. Maybe if it evolved and stayed as a Prinplup it wouldn’t be so bad because I’m not sure anyone has one atm.

Because this series is not just focusing exclusively on Galar and instead having Ash and Gou travel through all the regions it means it's possible that they could get some past gen pokemon. So with that being said we have episode 8 coming up which features a wild Piplup, so I don't think it's that far out there to think that it might wind up being a capture for one of them considering the episode is focus on it. Sure it's possible that it could just be a pokemon of the day but it's also possible that it could be a capture.

As for Dawn having a Piplup and Kukui and Barry having a Empoleon means that it's somehow unlikely that Ash or Gou would get a Piplup, I don't see how any of that would prevent Ash or Gou from getting a Piplup considering Dawn isn't a main character anymore so even if she were to show up again she wouldn't be in every episode and would likely only be around for a few episodes, as for Barry first off Barry was never a main character and on top of that Paul having a Toterra didn't stop Ash's Grotle from evolving into Torterra and that was during a series where Paul was a an active rival with Ash.

Also as for Kukui while during Sun and Moon he was a major character we only ever saw his Empoleon one time and that was during Kukui's full battle against Ash, where even if we see Kukui again he is not going to be a main character and appearing so often it would cause problem for Ash or Gou having a Piplup, and on top of that we would more likely to see Kukui with his Incineroar, Braviary, or Lucario over his Empoleon. Also on top of that if Ash's Torracat can evolve into a Incineroar during the same series where Kukui was a major character and it was after Ash's Torracat had beaten it's rival Kukui's Incineroar then I don't see how that would prevent Ash or Gou from getting a Piplup and fully evolving it into a Empoleon.

Also let's not forget that Ash owning a Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't not prevent May from getting her own Bulbsaur and Squirtle, nor did Ash owning a Cyndaquil that eventually evolved into a Quilava prevent Dawn from getting a Cyndaquil that eventually evolved into a Quilava, and Ash owning a Gible didn't prevent Iris from getting a Gible nor did Ash owning a Charizard prevent Kiawe from having a Charizard and like wise May having an Eevee didn't prevent Serena and Lana from getting an Eevee.

So while it's not guaranteed that Ash or Gou may get the Piplup in episode 8 and I do acknowledge the possibility that it could just be a pokemon of the day, however at the same time I don't think just because some important characters had a Piplup or a member of it's evolutionary line in the past that it should somehow prevent Ash or Gou from getting a Piplup now. Especially when those said characters are going to be current main characters and would only show up in the current series for a few episodes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash-Greninja4life said:

Even without counting those characters, I just can't imagine Satoshi with a Pochama. It wouldn't really bring anything new to the table as far as Water-type representation is concerned, and there are so many other deserving Water-types that could use the screen-time more than Pochama.

Decidueye23

Even without counting those characters, I just can't imagine Satoshi with a Pochama. It wouldn't really bring anything new to the table as far as Water-type representation is concerned, and there are so many other deserving Water-types that could use the screen-time more than Pochama.
I agree. Besides piplup has had a lot of focus in DP. Even if ash does catch old gen mons i'd rather he get something more obscure which hasnt been given enough screentime at all.

Leonhart

Imagineer
World Turtle said:
I wonder if another possible reason for the anime's shift in formula is because the writers want to wait as long as they can for possible Sword and Shield Sequels that will reveal the other eight Galar Gym Leaders?

4 will be in Sword and 4 in Shield.

I somewhat doubt that the writers have enough foresight to plan things out that well. Even if the Shield and Sword games do get sequels later on, I feel like there are plenty of other things that the writers could do to promote those games without them having to change the formula of the series. Frankly, I'm beginning to think that Gym battles might not even happen in this series until proven otherwise.

MartínK

They can just focus on its Normal-typing like they did with Scraggy's Fighting or Krookodile's Ground type. Or Greninja's Water and Incineroar's Fire

But all those Pokémon but Incineroar doesn't matter if they haven't had a Dark move, besides Bite/Crunch are generic moves, Night Slash and Dark Pulse are different and no Ash pokémon know this moves. And a Obstagoon without a dark move would make no sense, it's like Zoroark didn't have any at all.

But since Serena's Pancham knows Dark Pulse (First main character that owns a pokémon with a dark move that is not Bite or Crunch) being a pure fighting type gives me hopes that one day Ash's pokémon will learn Night Slash or Dark Pulse.

D

Deleted member 384931

The sad part of not visiting a new region is that all the plot and interesting stuff already happend.
Galar isnt the main focus so actually this region has already a disadvantage compared to other regions.

ShadowForce720

In all honestly while it's true that Piplup had plenty of time to shine in DP, it's also true that we've never had a Prinplup and Empoleon on the main cast before and those 2 haven't had nearly as much of a chance to shine and be shown off as Piplup, and the final evolutions of the other 2 Sinnoh starters did. So if it's a case of Ash or Gou getting a Piplup that is never going to evolve and just stay a Piplup for the whole series then yes I would prefer they get something else. However I wouldn't mind Ash or Gou getting a Piplup if it's winds up going down the route of fully evolving into a Empoleon during the series.

Decidueye23

In all honestly while it's true that Piplup had plenty of time to shine in DP, it's also true that we've never had a Prinplup and Empoleon on the main cast before and those 2 haven't had nearly as much of a chance to shine and be shown off as Piplup, and the final evolutions of the other 2 Sinnoh starters did. So if it's a case of Ash or Gou getting a Piplup that is never going to evolve and just stay a Piplup for the whole series then yes I would prefer they get something else. However I wouldn't mind Ash or Gou getting a Piplup if it's winds up going down the route of fully evolving into a Empoleon during the series.
It really depends on how they want to handle the team building this season if we are even getting one. The thing is if piplup goes to gou, then i dont see it evolving all the way to empoleon atleast for majority of the series. And i d much rather see ash with galar mons or his own old mons.

Besides we already have the piplup of the series in scorbunny.

MartínK

If Ash is not going to catch Piplup and evolve it into a Empoleon i rather that no one catches, another Piplup like Dawn's no please, one is enough

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I agree. Besides piplup has had a lot of focus in DP. Even if ash does catch old gen mons i'd rather he get something more obscure which hasnt been given enough screentime at all.

a lot of other people's predictive choices of past pokemon have also stimmed from popular well known creatures such as Riolu and Eevee, Piplup is also well known but the fact that no one would expect Ash to get one just because Dawn had it, I would honestly say it would be a nice refresher as a capture compared to them.

Red and Blue

If we are talking about older Pokemon going to Ash one pick of mine would be Latias. It would be a nice callback to the Latias he bonded with in movie 5

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash getting a Piplup.... uh, no thanks?
I love Piplup's evolution line and all, but it is Sobble's time not his.
Plus what about Sobble and Grookey? They're not going to outright ignore them, they're going to wind up with Ash.

If we are talking about older Pokemon going to Ash one pick of mine would be Latias. It would be a nice callback to the Latias he bonded with in movie 5

I'd be okay with him getting a Latias, but only if it's that Latias

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The sad part of not visiting a new region is that all the plot and interesting stuff already happend.
Galar isnt the main focus so actually this region has already a disadvantage compared to other regions.

Well at least the cities have something going for it that Alola didn't. Pretty much every single town/city in the game except home/lab locations had a gym!
I just hope they don't move the League to a different location again.... Wyndon is awesome!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Ash getting a Piplup.... uh, no thanks?
I love Piplup's evolution line and all, but it is Sobble's time not his.
Plus what about Sobble and Grookey? They're not going to outright ignore them, they're going to wind up with Ash.
They could give one or both of them to Go or Kouharu.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I only have 1 wish for teams this generation: don't wait until the last year to just bombard everyone with captures and actually get them early on so they can all get focus. It was really annoying watching so many of SM's captures get rushed development in the last year. The girls had it the worst.

Rune Knight

I feel like my worst fears are coming true.

Be honest with me, do you guys think that they're going to refrain from continuity throughout the show other than just a few nods and easter eggs here and there?

Don't want to come out as critical or anything. Overall I'm enjoying the series so far, but why are we getting a new Officer Jenny in Kanto?

ShadowForce720

I feel like my worst fears are coming true.

Be honest with me, do you guys think that they're going to refrain from continuity throughout the show other than just a few nods and easter eggs here and there?

To be honest with you, I think it's important to point out the fact that were only 2 episodes going to 3 episodes into the series, and so it would make sense that we wouldn't see any past characters or pokemon return yet, because they would want to give some time to establish the new characters, and allow and go to get a some captures. I mean when you look at when it past characters and pokemon return it tends to be at later point in the series after Ash and the new main characters have gone through some team changes and the new main characters have had a chance to establish themselves to some degree.

So no, I don't think the show is going to refrain from continuity other then just a few nods and easter eggs here and there. Nor do I think people should be jumping to conclusions and acting like the writers have to have past characters or pokemon returning in the first few episodes of the series just to have some continuity.

Look only 2 episodes in it's way to early to be trying to say that somehow because first 9 episodes don't seem to have a past character or pokemon returning that it somehow means that were not going to see any in the entire series.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Don't want to come out as critical or anything. Overall I'm enjoying the series so far, but why are we getting a new Officer Jenny in Kanto?

other than her hair being slightly different i'm not seeing much of a change, besides she still has growlithe which we know is the "japanese region's" standard issue for them.

Rune Knight

To be honest with you, I think it's important to point out the fact that were only 2 episodes going to 3 episodes into the series, and so it would make sense that we wouldn't see any past characters or pokemon return yet, because they would want to give some time to establish the new characters, and allow and go to get a some captures. I mean when you look at when it past characters and pokemon return it tends to be at later point in the series after Ash and the new main characters have gone through some team changes and the new main characters have had a chance to establish themselves to some degree.

So no, I don't think the show is going to refrain from continuity other then just a few nods and easter eggs here and there. Nor do I think people should be jumping to conclusions and acting like the writers have to have past characters or pokemon returning in the first few episodes of the series just to have some continuity.

Look only 2 episodes in it's way to early to be trying to say that somehow because first 9 episodes don't seem to have a past character or pokemon returning that it somehow means that were not going to see any in the entire series.

What you're saying makes sense and I pray that you're right, so for now I'll be patient.

The major thing that bothers me about all of this is that they're literally re-visiting past regions, and I feel like some past elements are just plain out unavoidable but fear that they're going to make the effort to do it anyway.

Like for example; when they eventually go to Alola and visit Melemele Island, they'll probably see Tapu Koko as hinted at in the poster. Now as far as I know, there's only ONE of each island deity in the Alola region, but would they go as far as to portray different ones? That's what I'm afraid of. And while we're on the subject, like if they're going to Melemele, why wouldn't Ash want to pay a visit to Professor Kukui or any past character for that matter. I mean it's a small island, and it's right there.

I'm just afraid that they're going to skip out on so many opportunities if this is the case.

But I'll be patient for now and let them establish the new stuff before jumping the gun.

other than her hair being slightly different i'm not seeing much of a change, besides she still has growlithe which we know is the "japanese region's" standard issue for them.

There's still the lack of lipstick and slight re-design of facial aesthetics but I might be overlooking that. Also didn't notice the Growlithe.

What will give it away though is whether this Kantonian Jenny is voiced by the original actress being Chinami Nishimura who also voiced Ash's Litten/Torracat, so I assume that they have her on standby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.