• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I don't think Ash will catch more that 2 more Pokemon this series. Catching more than that would mean less screen time and development for the ones he's already caught. As it is, his team barring Lucario deserve a lot more screen time, development and battles.
Also, the more Pokemon he catches, lesser the chances of his old Pokemon getting to return. Even if his older Pokemon return, I don't expect more than 6 or 7 of them getting to battle.

Whether or not his reserves return isn’t really dependent on how many Pokémon he catches .

BlazingAsh

While catching them all is the goal in the games , i think someone doing it offscreen and someone doing it onscreen in the anime is different. Sure one of the biggest mechanics kf the game is you get the boxart and are even capable of catching arceus. Pokemon like hoopa and zeraora are handed down by a code!

Now the anime representation of these pokemon has not been the same. I thinl thats where the problem arises. Legends. Mythicals. Goh's goal by itself is not absurd but to see it in the anime can either quite boring or ridiculous depending on the ones he is getting. What i mean is one of the things that distinguishes the games from the anime is that in the games you cannot bond with your pokemon the way you do in the anime. Thats a huge thing. We see it ocassionely with Goh but look at cubone. Banished to oblivion. Maybe it will return once. I think thats what makes the goal absurd. Not what it inherently is but how it is executed eithin the format of the anime.
The whole franchise was marketed to catch them all. I really like the idea of actually having someone in the anime wanting to catch them all and it makes me curious to know what Pokemon he's going to catch next. Most of the older region pokemon Goh catches wouldn't even get any screen time if he hadn't caught them. This way we at least get to see the really old Pokemon we haven't seen in a long time at the lab. It has been established that Goh does care about and bond with his Pokemon. They don't really need to show that all the time as there's so much more to cover this series. Seeing Goh catch all those Pokemon has inspired me to complete my dex, which I never really cared about before and also made be get back to playing Pokemon Go. The main reason they gave Goh this goal is to add Pokemon Go to the anime and it works. I always found it weird that the games ask us to catch them all, but it was missing from the anime. Of course I would have a problem with Ash catching too many pokemon as his team would become less special. It's better to give that goal to a companion. That way at least the companion gets to do more than just commentary on Ash's battles or having barely anything to do like his previous male companions.

Even with Ash catching less Pokemon, we don't really see him bonding with them except for Lucario.

BlazingAsh

Whether or not his reserves return isn’t really dependent on how many Pokémon he catches .
It might reduce the number of reserves that return. If he catches like 11 Pokemon, they may not have more than 3 or 4 Pokemon return as they need to give more battles to his current team.

ShadowForce720

It might reduce the number of reserves that return. If he catches like 11 Pokemon, they may not have more than 3 or 4 Pokemon return as they need to give more battles to his current team.

It’s doubtful that, that would really have an impact on the number of reserves arguing, considering that some would argue that back during DP some members of the Sinnoh team needed more battles and yet they still brought back quite a few reserves and had them battle any way.

There isn’t any real link between the amount of captures Ash gets and the amount of reserves he brings back.

BlazingAsh

It’s doubtful that, that would really have an impact on the number of reserves arguing, considering that some would argue that back during DP some members of the Sinnoh team needed more battles and yet they still brought back quite a few reserves and had them battle any way.

There isn’t any real link between the amount of captures Ash gets and the amount of reserves he brings back.

I'm not saying there is for sure. But if Ash already has enough pokemon for two full battles, he may only need to bring back only 5 or 6 reserves for his third full battle in the masters tier.

Whereas leagues are concerned, they give all his pokemon in his current team only 1, 2 or maximum 3 battles mostly. Like his team got 2 battles in Kalos and Alola. 1 battle in Unova and Sinnoh (except for Gible who got 2). The only exception is Hoenn.

Last edited:

Samurott

Here's a question that just popped into my head: Since Ash and Goh aren't competing in a league, is there anything that's preventing them from carrying more than six Pokemon at a time? We saw that in the Cubone episode, nothing happened to its Pokeball while we saw Goh carry six Pokemon with him already. There was also the Mewtwo episode where we saw that Goh just so happened to be using Pokemon that were needed at the moment, which to me implies that he carries more than six with him at a time in case he comes across multiple situations.

Another point to bring up is that Ash caught his 5th Pokemon at a much earlier point in a series than he has in past series like AG, DP, XY, and SM, which to me tells me he'll get about another handful of new Pokemon. Also, he could possibly carry more than six at a time as well.

I was wondering if you guys were able to come up with any clever in-universe explanations and avoid responses like "plot convenience."

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Here's a question that just popped into my head: Since Ash and Goh aren't competing in a league, is there anything that's preventing them from carrying more than six Pokemon at a time? We saw that in the Cubone episode, nothing happened to its Pokeball while we saw Goh carry six Pokemon with him already. There was also the Mewtwo episode where we saw that Goh just so happened to be using Pokemon that were needed at the moment, which to me implies that he carries more than six with him at a time in case he comes across multiple situations.

Another point to bring up is that Ash caught his 5th Pokemon at a much earlier point in a series than he has in past series like AG, DP, XY, and SM, which to me tells me he'll get about another handful of new Pokemon. Also, he could possibly carry more than six at a time as well.

I was wondering if you guys were able to come up with any clever in-universe explanations and avoid responses like "plot convenience."
Well Goh had 7 Pokémon in the MewTwo Episode so there's nothing stopping him apparently

With Ash it just depends on whenever the writer's feel like letting him catch another Pokémon.

SlimKennedy

Since they're technically classified as research fellows, as apposed to simply trainers, it's possible that their licenses don't limit them to the standard six Pokémon at a time.

Ibrahim Saidu

I have another question. Besides Ash having Lucario to represent Gen 4, if you were asked to choose at least 3 more Gen 4 Pokemon for Ash, which ones would you choose for him
So sorry if I'm annoying you all with questions
Personally, I would want these Pokemon to be caught by Ash due to DP Remakes
1 Empoleon
2 Weavile
3 Abomasnow
Also he should bring back Gible to evolve all the way to Garchomp

ChampioN One

The chosen One!
Pls I have another question. Based on the second preview, will Ash get Impidimp in the Glimwood Tangle episode
It's possible, but since that episode is focused on chloe I think it's highly unlikely.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Pls I have another question. Based on the second preview, will Ash get Impidimp in the Glimwood Tangle episode
Ash only catches mons that's focused on him.

SlimKennedy

If you look at the Impidimp, one of them appears to be holding Chloe's pink handbag, while another is wearing a backpack that looks similar to Chloe's. (If I recall correctly, Chloe's backpack has gold buckles on the straps, which aren't visible on the one Impidimp is wearing. So it might not necessarily be Chloe's.)

This implies to me that Chloe will be hassled by the Impidimp, and Galarian Ponyta will likely step in to help her. I don't think any of the Impidimp will be caught.

dman_dustin

In before something like the episode where Ash catches Palpitoad where we get dual captures.

As cool as it would be.

"We" all know Go is going to catch Impidimp as a clear indication that Ash won't get Grimmsnarl, and he'll continue to get a crappier team outside of his first 3 captures.

And he won't have anything truly unique except for Dracovish and I'm barely qualifying fossil unique. Gengar is arguably more unique.

Master Pikachu 11

If you look at the Impidimp, one of them appears to be holding Chloe's pink handbag, while another is wearing a backpack that looks similar to Chloe's. (If I recall correctly, Chloe's backpack has gold buckles on the straps, which aren't visible on the one Impidimp is wearing. So it might not necessarily be Chloe's.)

This implies to me that Chloe will be hassled by the Impidimp, and Galarian Ponyta will likely step in to help her. I don't think any of the Impidimp will be caught.
I agree I don’t see any of the Impidimp getting caught as they are similar to the Mankey in the Cubone episode and I think only Ponyta will be getting captured since this is a Chloe episode and the last Chloe focus episode was where she captured Eevee so I don’t expect Ash or Goh to get any captures in this trip to Galar since they already made captures last time they were there, while Chloe didn’t so it’s time for Chloe to get a capture this time while Goh and Ash don’t.

DuskAstral

We technically got dual captures in the fossil episode with Arctozolt and Dracovish.
There is a difference to me. In the case of the fossils, we got a hint earlier that they were going to be caught. However, as far as Glimwood is concerned, there is unlikely to be a double capture as there were no clues to capture an Impidimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.