• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Especially since you seem to like her, I don't understand why you seem to so aggressively defend her being relegated to such a minor role. No, she's not actually a travelling companion, but that's the problem. It didn't have to be this way, and I think that's what a lot of people are upset about. It's not like the cast at this point is bursting at the seems. Having a character that seems cool on the sidelines at this point just feels lame.
Because people are criticizing Koharu for being a minor character, which is kinda silly? She was never promoted as the third main protagonist of the series, and the writers made it abundantly clear that Go and Ash are the dual protagonists of this series.

I would love for Koharu to get more screentime, but acting like Koharu is somehow this third protagonist that the writers are neglecting makes no sense.

Especially since we're mere 7 episodes into the story that will likely span 100+ episodes. Will she get a larger role? Perhaps. The opening seems to hint at it. But right now there's no real point in my complaining about Koharu since this is what we've been told from the beginning.

Ash and Go are the leads. Koharu is not. It's a matter of recognizing facts and coming to terms with them instead of endlessly repeating how much she sucks because "she's the closest thing to a female traveling companion" and yet "the writers are doing nothing with her".

esquilo09

Yeah that's a good point and it's almost like how Misty's Azurill is the offspring of Tracey's Marill. I wonder if we're going to see Go's bug Pokemon a lot from now on.
Don't forget May's Bulbasaur who was also an offspring of a wild Venusaur.

esquilo09

Thoughts on the Mightyena

1) It might be the one that belongs to the Punk Trainer and the reason he's the antagonist is because he's pissed off that some nerd was bothering his Pokemon. Which is perfectly understandable.

2) The Mightyena is wild and while Gou could catch it I'm thinking that well instead Ash feeling the Mightyena might be too much for Gou intervenes and catches it like he did Muk, Palpitoad, etc.

Gou's ego is bruised by this feeling his Bug types would be able to handle it. So he tries to prove it with Scyther vs. the Punk's Mightyena only to lose because Punk's Mightyena knows Fire Fang and defeats Scyther.

Then in the final bout Ash sends out the Mightyena against Hairyama. Mightyena knows a Fairy Move called "Play Rough" and Fairy is effective against Fighting. Between that and Ash's grasp of anime physics, using the territory to his advantage, etc. he manages to win.

PokeDex Entries: Mightyena travel and act as a pack in the wild. The memory of its life in the wild compels the Pokémon to obey only those trainers that it recognizes to possess superior skill. In the wild, Mightyena live in a pack. They never defy their leader's orders. They defeat foes with perfectly coordinated teamwork.

Between the two Ash is the superior trainer and a pokemon that values loyalty and teamwork sounds like something that fit Ash perfectly. Also its called the Bite Pokemon and Bite and Crunch are like the only Dark type moves we've seen Ash's Dark types (Krookodile) use. This might be cause Bite used to be a Normal type move and well a crocodile or hyena that doesn't bite its enemies would be weird.

The summary said "believe it or not" and Ash catching not just a new Hoenn Pokemon, but a pure Dark type?
Remember Nanu said Dark didn't really fit Ash and all of Ash's Dark types focused on their other types (Water, Fire, Ground, and Fighting). So Ash getting a Dark type and sending it out against a Fighting type would very much be an unexpected call in the final bout.

I think while Gou's bug catching episode was to show his skill as the"capturer" of their duo, this episode is to show Ash's skill as the "battler" of their duo and how good he is at getting in sync with a Pokemon even one he just caught.
I agree on the first thought.

esquilo09

+ Taillow: Definitely not for Ash, as he already captured one and evolved it to Swellow.
+ Mightyena: It would be interesting for Ash, but considering scans and previews, maybe Go will capture it instead. Although, it's quite weird Go will face ANOTHER Mightyena in the Tournament.
+ Wurmple: Well, to be honest, Ash COULD capture one. But if he does, then it will have to evolve to Beautifly. I mean, the whole polemic about Ash capturing Piplup and/or Croagunk makes me think Ash could capture Pokemon that belonged to his old journey's partners. So, Beautifly as a replacement of Butterfree could work.
+ Mantyke: Not for Ash, because Ash usually captures Water Pokemon capable to move on earth too.
+ Piplup: Possibly for Ash.
+ Croagunk: Possibly for Ash.
+ Sentret: Not for Ash.
+ Stantler: Not for Ash.
+ Misdreavus: Quite an option for Ash to get his first Ghost Type, but I think he will actually capture a Gengar that appear quite commonly in the promo art.
That's probably Hojin's Mightyena.

World Turtle

I agree on the first thought.

I mean from the preview it looks like Gou scares it by accident or maybe even pulls its tail-which is a really stupid thing to do. Dark types in general are pokemon you don't mess around with.
And if it belongs to someone-how would you feel if some random kid suddenly went up to your dog and started poking at it? You'd get pissed of too.

I think it'd be funny and sweet if the reason Mr. Mime chooses to help Ash is he sees him being bullied by the punk trainer and he starts to channel Delia's Mama Bear in response.

Punk Trainer: Me and my Pokemon are gonna mess you up

Mr. Mime: Oh no you don't.

I am disappointed a little here since it looks like Gou lost in spite of having the type advantage. I thought it would be a good way to show Ash's skill is to have him beat Hariyama with a Pokemon with the type disadvantage like with Glalie, Krookodile, Boldore, etc.

Last edited:

esquilo09

I mean from the preview it looks like Gou scares it by accident or maybe even pulls its tail-which is a really stupid thing to do. Dark types in general are pokemon you don't mess around with.
And if it belongs to someone-how would you feel if some random kid suddenly went up to your dog and started poking at it? You'd get pissed of too.

I think it'd be funny and sweet if the reason Mr. Mime chooses to help Ash is he sees him being bullied by the punk trainer and he starts to channel Delia's Mama Bear in response.

Punk Trainer: Me and my Pokemon are gonna mess you up

Mr. Mime: Oh no you don't.

I am disappointed a little here since it looks like Gou lost in spite of having the type advantage. I thought it would be a good way to show Ash's skill is to have him beat Hariyama with a Pokemon with the type disadvantage like with Glalie, Krookodile, Boldore, etc.
Actually it was Scorbunny who ripped Mightyena's fur.

Red and Blue

So if Ash catches Mimey that just leaves Ghost and then he will have caught a Pokemon from each type.

Hopefully the writers are aware of this

Last edited:

Henry's Journey

To be frank but there were several mistakes during that scene so I was never sure how seriously to take it. Whoever made that 5x10 Table Sheet Ash's Pokemon were on messed up: Lapras was on it twice, Noctowl, Poipole, and Charizard were missing (though he does appear as a still image that flies across the screen). Plus Mr. Mime was there who at the time as far as we all knew was his Mom's Pokemon.
Also for some reason
The Raticate he traded then traded back for Butterfree
The Beedrill which he gave to Casey at the very end of the episode he caught it in
The Seaking he had to return to the park per the rules of the fishing game

Pokemon he never spoke a word too or has any established relationship with. I applaud their thoroughness, but I feel Larvitar (who gets cameos) and Haunter (who got Ash his 4th Badge) should have been on it.

Kind of curious how Mr. Mime gets involved in the tournament if he is Ash's second Pokemon. We know Ash could call on his reserves. Does he volunteer to help Ash out before Ash can decide who to call over? Will he get his own pokeball? If there is no ball I assume this is a one-time thing the writers are doing for fun. Mr. Mime is family and family help one another so he's at best probably an honorary member of Ash's Team via his Mom.

Ikr? I feel that "scene" on the year-end special was messed up as well (they skipped the shiny Noctowl!) I always went by the openings and endings regarding Ash's pokemon and then out of the blue they included Raticate, Beedrill and that... Seaking? wtf...

Openings like Spurt and Be an Arrow and endings like Glory Day and the final one of BW emphasized the mons that Ash caught and bonded through his journeys, I feel like Larvitar was special even tho he never caught it (unlike Haunter that didn't get a reference ever again) because it appeared with its mom in Spurt! Oh well, looks like Mimey will belong to Ash from now on.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
So if Ash catches Mimey that just leaves Ghost and then he will have caught a Pokemon from each type.

Hopefully the writers are aware of this

You're deluding yourself if you think that the writers put that much thought into the types of Pokemon Ash gets. Newsflash, they're not actively checking down a list of types just to give Ash every type of Pokemon. As for the capture theory my god it doesn't even make sense for Ash to catch his mom's Mr. Mime.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I here someone mention wanting to see Butch and Cassidy again on screen bringing in more of the rivalry on Jessie and James.
For me I would like to see a different trio group we never had for a long time which I did mention this way back on another thread board before and want to know what your thoughts on them which I know none of you don't want to see them that they are annoying but they only appear for two episodes one in the OS and one in the Pokemon Chronicles. It happens to be these three boys.
250px-Invincible_Pok%C3%A9mon_Brothers.png

Invincible brothers
If they had a come back return it would bring something fresh for a new change. These three would came back on BW while TR are doing missions for their boss. I would see them appearing in not lot of episodes like Team Rocket and seeing them participate in tournament battle running into Ash and His companion entering the tournament battles too.

Those were the guys who caused Misty some trouble at the Cerulean Gym right? I think Cassidy and Biff coming back would be more appropriate than those three stooges coming back because nobody cares about that trio.

Red and Blue

You're deluding yourself if you think that the writers put that much thought into the types of Pokemon Ash gets. Newsflash, they're not actively checking down a list of types just to give Ash every type of Pokemon. As for the capture theory my god it doesn't even make sense for Ash to catch his mom's Mr. Mime.
It's not Ash would be the first trainer to catch a Pokemon belonging to their parents.

nickdt

Why doesn't it makes sense that Ash catches Mr. Mime?
1. We haven't seen Delia 'Officially' catch it.
2. Its still a wild mon
3. Ash catching Mr. Mime, doesn't change anything at all, since it still stays in the family and after the series, can just stay out his Pokeball and stay with Delia. The bond they share will not change either.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Rune Knight said:
Ugh..

They'll go to Lumiose City, help a trainer find their lost Dedenne, then leave. >_<

Probably, although on the off-chance that we do see Citron again, I'd love for him to have that new Electric/Poison Pokemon, or for him to have at least evolved his Horubee.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
If he catches Mr. Mime all I'm saying is that they best have Ash catch other older Pokemon, cause Mr. Mime falls into the "There's no reason for Ash to catch older Pokemon" category
And more than 5 captures of course, it'd suck for a Galar Pokemon to lose a slot for a damn Kanto Pokemon -_-
Mr. Mime will obviously go home at the end regardless of what happens to it

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
If he catches Mr. Mime all I'm saying is that they best have Ash catch other older Pokemon, cause Mr. Mime falls into the "There's no reason for Ash to catch older Pokemon" category
And more than 5 captures of course, it'd suck for a Galar Pokemon to lose a slot for a damn Kanto Pokemon -_-
Mr. Mime will obviously go home at the end regardless of what happens to it

One of my worries about Satoshi capturing a lot of older Pokemon is that it would leave less spots on his team for Galar Pokemon unless he rotates his Pokemon, which I pray doesn't happen because I still remember how bad that ended up in Best Wishes.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
If they didn't get rid of them during Operation Tempest when they had the perfect opportunity to drop the Rocket-dan trio, I don't see why they would've ended their storyline in SM. I feel like even now with their limited screen-time, the Rocket-dan is still here to stay, just in lower concentrations.

SM would have sat better though, cause them getting written off in BW would have been utterly terrible. They didn't have no personality there and were written as straight up villains, and not the misunderstood individuals they are. All they need is Giovanni to do something that smacks their blind idolization away and they'll help take him down!

Them leaving would also leave room for new villains to appear, people that work for themselves like J and Brodie, or somebody a part of an organization like Team Whatever'snext which would in turn give that team some much needed focus and fleshing out...

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
One of my worries about Satoshi capturing a lot of older Pokemon is that it would leave less spots on his team for Galar Pokemon unless he rotates his Pokemon, which I pray doesn't happen because I still remember how bad that ended up in Best Wishes.

that was due to the fact he was only capturing new pokemon at the time as well.

I believe if he was to use his reserves in conjunction with new ones, that it would fair better because the reserves can fine tune themselves, while the new ones pick up pointers.

of course since Galar isn't the main focus I don't care if Ash captures even the "normal" amount of pokemon he gets per region from there, heck i'd love to see that pattern shattered since this is focusing on the world, not just one region.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I just want to clarify something for the final time about my feelings regarding Koharu and why her lack of initiative and screen-time so far in this series rankles me personally. As I stated a few days ago, I really dislike gender inequality. I think that all anime and television shows in general should have equal representation of both genders, which means equal screen-time or close to it. I know that the Pokemon anime is notorious for not being able to juggle characters that well given that Satoshi would usually get most of the attention by default, but I was hoping that since Gou has tipped the scales in terms of taking screen-time away from Satoshi, Koharu might too.

Obviously that hasn't happened yet and while I understand that it could change in the future, I can't help but worry that we'll have to wait a very long time like we did with Serena in XY. And as much as I enjoyed Serena in general, I don't want to wait 40 or more episodes again this time for Koharu to also develop as a character, especially given that she has less screen-time to work with. But then of course there's the fact that many people believe that Koharu's "supporting character" status means that she isn't allowed to do anything with the cast in the first place other than chat briefly with Satoshi and Gou for a few seconds before she runs off to do something else. I don't want to debate that again however, because I've already been ganged up on 6 to 1 before for saying that she should at least qualify as an important recurring character based on her connection to Sakuragi-hakase and her repeated appearances. Alas.

I'm quite fond of Koharu's design [and her Wanpachi] and I want to see Koharu interact with the boys a lot more and go on adventures with them eventually, because there are so many possibilities for her character other than her simply attending school. And given that I'm neutral about Satoshi and Gou, and the Rocket-dan don't appear as often these days, I need a character to root for and Koharu's the only one that appears regularly enough for me to care about [other than her father I suppose, but he's not any more intriguing than most previous professors]. But this is the last time that I'll talk about Koharu until she gets an episode focused on her, because I was taken aback by the ad hominem attacks that were made against me a few pages ago just because I was criticizing the handling of Koharu's character so far, in spite of the fact that I was discussing the subject in a respectful manner and never resorted to personal attacks myself.

I here someone mention wanting to see Butch and Cassidy again on screen bringing in more of the rivalry on Jessie and James.
For me I would like to see a different trio group we never had for a long time which I did mention this way back on another thread board before and want to know what your thoughts on them which I know none of you don't want to see them that they are annoying but they only appear for two episodes one in the OS and one in the Pokemon Chronicles. It happens to be these three boys.
250px-Invincible_Pok%C3%A9mon_Brothers.png

Invincible brothers
If they had a come back return it would bring something fresh for a new change. These three would came back on BW while TR are doing missions for their boss. I would see them appearing in not lot of episodes like Team Rocket and seeing them participate in tournament battle running into Ash and His companion entering the tournament battles too.

At the very least Yamato and Kosaburou are much more interesting and have a longer history on the show than the Strongest Pokemon Brothers from Kasumi's last OS episode. In truth I've always wondered by Yamato and Kosaburou were written out of the anime considering that their interactions with Musashi and Kojirou were incredibly entertaining. They should've returned in SM in place of Matori from my perspective, but I'd settle on them returning in this saga if it means that the Rocket-dan trio will get some wacky interactions with them. Anything to alleviate their lack of screen-time these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.