1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Monsters (2019) Pokémon Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

No, what causes this fan fiction feeling is him getting powerful and “cool” Pokémon so easily like something more akin to a fan’s wish fulfillment story. There are Dragon-types that are lesser showcased so why not either give him Hakuryu to train and work with over the series or something more obscure like Flygon? I can understand wanting Satoshi to shine and look charming but stockloading him with broken shillmons isn’t exactly the most tasteful and rewarding path toward that? How do I root for Satoshi’s Kairyu to beat Dande’s Lizardon when the writers will show me Dande training it from since it was a Hitokage and bonding closely with it...meanwhile Satoshi got his Kairyu as a final stage Pokémon and let it hang at Sakuragi’s garden most of the time? It would be like Satoshi skipping from all the baby steps and work done with previous Pokémon and getting their final stages.

No Nyabby-Nyaheat training/bonding/time-travel/wrestling matches, no buildup to Goukazaru’s Flare Blitz and Blaze, etc. Not saying I hate the idea, I love Pokémon like Gangar, Kairyu, and Lucario. I can just admit it’s not really that great a writing decision overall. Especially not since Satoshi won his league by training and caring for a team from scratch. If he’s a champion now then he should be more than capable in bringing out the power in a Ghost for it become Gangar (while using his experience from learning about trading in various regions) or earning the strength of a Kairyu through episodes of work. He showed he could fight alongside Barrierd very well but he still wasn’t responsible for this Pokémon’s strength at the end of the day or the kung-fu stretches it trained itself to do.

I love cool Pokémon but I don’t want a series of literal handouts, at least Go’s strong-looking Bug-type catches either dislike him or turned out to not be great at battles. He got “strong” Pokémon with a recoil for it.

johno1995 and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  2. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

To be fair given how Outrage is a Dragonite staple and how Satoshi's Dragonite has been portrayed as almost unusually gentle I'd say some sort of berserk issue is a likely character arc somewhere down the line.

Gengar is also a straight up villain right now so if Satoshi gets it he'll have to do something to make it well, not a villain, and it'll have to learn to get along with the squad and stuff. There's more potential to Pokemon arcs than strength training and evolution, there's still potential for stories with heart with these fully evolved Pokemon.

And I doubt the writers are trying to fulfill some fanfictiony portrayal of Satoshi, he gave Dragonair some really silly training and then had to be saved by it, and the point of the evolution was to answer the question of "why do they grow hands" which is like, really innocent and cute lol. It woulda made that episode less memorable if they answered that in like 50 episodes, some long term pay offs are good but an episodic show also needs impactful instant pay offs.

Well, I think it's too soon to judge either way but yea personally I'm still hopeful.

RLC, esquilo09, Egakor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from, however, since they are marketing Riolu a lot I wouldn’t be shocked if Ash caught Riolu and then helped it grow to evolve into Lucario just like you wanted to see Ash catch non fully evolved Pokémon and help train them to evolve which again I see this happening with both Grookey and Sobble. As for Gangar if it was a Haunter to start out then it would not become a Gangar unless it was traded, by catching Gangar as a fully evolved Pokémon it helps bypass having to do a trade in order to trigger the evolution and to do another Pumpkaboo evolution repeat. Besides I know that you are sick of the Kanto pandering, but Gangar is a popular Pokémon and it’s a ghost that I know most people wish Ash would have had back in the day. The fact that the anime is now making it possible for Ash to catch old Pokémon it helps put an end to the predictable pattern of Ash only catching new Gen Pokémon and it will allow some other fan favorites to potentially be on his team.

esquilo09 and Henry's Journey like this.
  4. Henry's Journey

Henry's Journey Well-Known Member

I hope Ash catches that Gengar to make up for that Haunter he "befriended" in Lavender town.

Riolu/Lucario because many, many fans (including myself) have always wanted him to own this species.

Maybe Lucario is here to promote remakes of D&P games as well.

I really can't think of anything else for now, maybe Dunsparce for the gag? and either Grookey or Sobble (seriously when are these guys going to appear!? 16 episodes in and nothin')

5. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

You know it would be kind of neat if we wound up in a situation where since the expansion pass is introducing new Galarian forms, if we wind up getting a Galarian Dunsparce that even has a regional evolution or 2 and then Ash could catch that Galarian Dunsparce and evolve it.

esquilo09 likes this.
  6. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

What would be funny is if just when Ash is about to catch a Dunsparce it chooses Go over him

esquilo09 likes this.
  7. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I'd say the current situation is worse, Dragonite was an awesome way to make the first capture genuinely interesting for a change... but making 4 of his Pokemon for this saga Kanto Pokemon, and doing so right off the bat, before he even catches a Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh(At least this one's coming soon), Unova Pokemon, or hell even a Galar Pokemon?

I'm all for him catching old Pokemon I always wanted that, but it could use some balancing out. Like after Dragonite, he should have gotten Sobble/Grookey, Riolu, something from one of the other older regions, the other starter, and then Gengar. At least Gengar's probably going to be the last Kanto capture, for him anyways.

Riolu will probably be trained up. Riolu merchandise is more prominent so he'll probably be one for 10-20 episodes
    But I'm really hoping that other older Pokemon catches Ash gets also wind up like that, and not just Riolu. His Galarian captures will likely be the usual way, they're new and whatnot.

Hopefully Dragonite and Gengar are just exceptions, them being Pokemon that are well.... heavily used. Plus if Ash got a Haunter and it wasn't that Haunter, well that'd be awkward wouldn't it? Not to mention the evolution requirement, probably didn't want to dig themselves a hole like they did Boldore

esquilo09 likes this.
  8. Zariful

Zariful Well-Known Member

The thing about gengar though is that several Pokémon become kind of instantly loyal to you upon capture. Fletchling felt instantly bad after Ash caught it.

Leonhart and esquilo09 like this.
  9. Cptnmac1

Cptnmac1 Well-Known Member

True, ash has caught antagonistic Pokemon before. Gengar seems to be straight up malicious though instead of just being kind of a jerk so I don't see it outright losing the aspect of its personality immediately

esquilo09 likes this.
  10. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

I'm kind of hoping Jigglypuff returns in this series & Go ends up catching it. Not only have I always wondered what Jigglypuff would be like if it was ever caught by a trainer, but after having to deal with Jigglypuff for so many years, I think staying in Prof. Sakuragi's lab could be a good way to wrap up its story arc by this point

11. Red and Blue

If Jigglypuff is going to Go, he is going to have to teach it to not draw on the other lab Pokemon when it puts it them to sleep with its singing

12. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I feel that the writers aren't in any hurry to wrap up Purin's story though considering that they went through the trouble of bringing Purin back in SM after its long absence. Frankly, I hope we never see that Purin again since I didn't miss it at all after it disappeared in AG.

13. TomRC121991

TomRC121991 Well-Known Member

When will the next episode titles come up about Ash and Go catches more Pokemon?

14. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

We just got two episodes revealed like last Sunday, so it might take like two weeks, maybe we get a Pokemon Fan magazine or something featuring the Pokemon appearing in those episodes, but the titles and summaries feel pretty self-explanatory for what is appearing (Cubone/Mankey/Gengar).

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  15. Yeah. I hope Kalos or Alola are featured in March.

wolf jani likes this.
  16. Red and Blue

Also Grookey and Sobble's long overdue debuts

Zoruagible, wolf jani and KenzeyEevee like this.
  17. Pepsi_Plunge

Those Bandai candy figurines are usually reflected on the anime, at least back in BW when I paid attention to them, in April we got one with a bunch of Galar mons and Rioulo, so those might reflect either March or April episodes (Pelipper probably TR, not sure about T-tar since I don't know if Gachamons will be repeated). So I don't know if Alola or Kalos show up yet.

For reference:

[​IMG]

wolf jani and KenzeyEevee like this.
  18. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

Riolu, Rolycoly, and Tyranitar for Ash please.

Gou can have Duraludon and the rest. Given Duraludon is the MechaGodzilla to Tyranitar's Godzilla Ash and Gou having to stop them from fighting could be a running gag.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  19. Pepsi_Plunge

Oh I forgot there was the Tyranitar/Duraludon rivalry, yeah that is probably where it shows up.

Btw when I said its reflected in the anime, it means they show up, it doesn't mean those Pokemon will be captured, but there are a few first stage there that I can see Go getting, unless they treat the Galar mons differently(since they are new giving them an actual episode), but we will see with Skwovet in this week episode, as in let's see if it doesn't just get Sentret'ed.

20. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

Oh I know, but with Gou's goal the odds are looking that way till we get an episode summary.

Remember during SM when Golisopod and Alola Sandslash got a lot of merchandise and some of us were thinking that meant they'd be caught but weren't? ...seriously, when Ash goes back to Alola give him these two at least. Also, Passimian. The football fan in me needs this capture.

johno1995 and KenzeyEevee like this.