• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
I hope we get some new episodes announced on New Years. Grookey and Sobble showing up will hopefully get Ash some new Pokemon.
We will probably get the titles before the next episode airs!

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Go's interaction with his caught pokémon in the Sakuragi Park feels a lot like how Ash's interaction would be with his reserves if he had enough time
I wonder if this hints at/prepares for the epic return

If anything it diminishes the odds of Ash's old retired Pokemon coming back when we have Go right there with his own reserves that can get the attention instead. :)

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It hit me this might be the longest we have gone without seeing all the starters. I mean I get it since it is not the SwSh anime but instead an anime for all of pokemon. Which makes me wonder if even the TCG and older game plots are possible since the Gamecube era being in the anime would be an interesting arc.

As for Ash reserves if it works like they did with Mr.Mime I want it but if it is just him rotating a team...meh

I can see Ash maybe with Scizor if Gou trades him Syther. Like what went down with Ash and Dawn.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MidnightMelody said:
I can see Ash maybe with Scizor if Gou trades him Syther. Like what went down with Ash and Dawn.

Which Pokemon would Satoshi trade to Gou, though? My guess would be Gantle since it evolves by trade just like Strike does, but I got the feeling during the BW saga that some people are rather attached to Gantle and wouldn't want Satoshi to trade it away.

World Turtle

It hit me this might be the longest we have gone without seeing all the starters.

Are we talking the ones the regional professor has or the ones caught by the main cast?

Season 1: Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle were caught in episode 10, 11, and 12 respectively.

AG: Brock's Mudkip wasn't caught till episode 25.

We're only up to episode 9.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Are we talking the ones the regional professor has or the ones caught by the main cast?

Season 1: Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle were caught in episode 10, 11, and 12 respectively.

AG: Brock's Mudkip wasn't caught till episode 25.

We're only up to episode 9.
I mean being seen in the anime. At least the Kanto ones were seen in episode one in some way. Personally I'm not angry just find it interesting and proof they are not catering to a single generation anymore so I always find it weird when people are convinced Ash's team will be only Galar pokemon.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Which Pokemon would Satoshi trade to Gou, though? My guess would be Gantle since it evolves by trade just like Strike does, but I got the feeling during the BW saga that some people are rather attached to Gantle and wouldn't want Satoshi to trade it away.

Can't they just trade back afterwards.

World Turtle

We are 9 episodes in what could be 140-190 episodes. So 3-4 years. Its too soon to make assumptions about this new saga when its just getting warmed up at least wait till we're 20-50 episodes in. So if we could keep the salt and cynicism to a minimum that'd be great.

Like it'll take the fun out of speculation if we keep shooting down each other's ideas because of our frustration and disappointment with the first few episodes.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m liking the new series so far, but I’m kind of hoping that Ash & Koharu get more development. So far every episode is about Go or they use the other characters to push his development. I get why since he’s the new co-protagonist, but it’s slowly starting to feel like he’s taking over the series.

Heck, I’d be happy if we even got an episode focusing on Prof. Sakuragi or his assistants (with the latter two surprisingly having less screen time & character development than Go’s Bug pokémon)

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
MidnightMelody said:
I mean being seen in the anime. At least the Kanto ones were seen in episode one in some way. Personally I'm not angry just find it interesting and proof they are not catering to a single generation anymore so I always find it weird when people are convinced Ash's team will be only Galar pokemon.

While things have obviously changed in this saga, I still think that the idea of Satoshi capturing Galar Pokemon predominantly is reasonable. Those are the Pokemon that require the most focus right now since Shield and Sword are the newest games and Satoshi typically gets the most screen-time, so they're a good fit. Gou gets a lot of attention as well, but he's so preoccupied with capturing Pokemon from the other seven regions as well that I doubt he's meant to be the main promotional tool for Galar Pokemon other than Hibanny.

i2i said:
Can't they just trade back afterwards.

Sure, but I was under the assumption that the scenario that I quoted was talking about a permanent trade happening. If it would just be a temporary trade instead, then I'd be pretty exasperated since Gou could just as easily capture a wild Hassam instead of needing to evolve his Strike via trade.

Rune Knight

Expect Go to catch at least one mon in every episode? It sounds like an interesting concept imo.

*Or not every episode, just on a frequent basis.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
People we are only seven episodes in.

If I recall early DP had a lot of focus on Dawn but it became more even as time went on.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
We are 9 episodes in what could be 140-190 episodes. So 3-4 years. Its too soon to make assumptions about this new saga when its just getting warmed up at least wait till we're 20-50 episodes in. So if we could keep the salt and cynicism to a minimum that'd be great.

Like it'll take the fun out of speculation if we keep shooting down each other's ideas because of our frustration and disappointment with the first few episodes.
Or longer I mean it is possible this is the series for more than one gen with the way it works. TBH I would feel weird if they went back for a series focused only on the current Gen for Gen 9. Not to mention how fans would star wars online saying how Galar was cheated and find a way to bring it back to GF saying it was on them due to not giving us a finished game or whatever. I could be overthinking things but idk.

VoltTacklingPika

My concern with Koharu isn't a lack of screentime necessarily, but how they've not even formally introduced her to Ash or established a reason she's even there outside of being Sakuragi's daughter. This is strange to me because she was one of the few characters officially revealed to us in the show's marketing, and has a fairly prominent role in the opening (for example, in the short dance sequence they do, she's clearly visible in the centre, and not shoved in the background like Sakuragi and his assistants are), which leads me to assume they have something in mind for her.

Being patient is one thing, but having episodes where Ash and Gou jet off to Sinnoh to help out a character of the day while Koharu sits at home being non-existent doesn't fill you with confidence. It's been seven episodes and she's yet to have a conversation with Ash and her interactions with Gou have been sporadic considering this was set-up as a key relationship in the first and second episodes. In the recent episode, she was all like "why am I even here?" during the kung-fu exercises, further emphasising this reluctance she seems to have about being dragged into everyone else's weirdness, but as yet there's no indication as to why she's like that or what she'd rather be doing instead.

I feel like she should be higher up in the show's list of priorities than she currently is. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to not have the basic cast fully established inside the first two months of the show.

If I recall early DP had a lot of focus on Dawn but it became more even as time went on.

By episode seven in DP, Ash had caught Starly and Turtwig and had battled Paul twice. If anything, he received more attention than Dawn did during those early episodes. By comparison, Ash in PM2019 has so far caught no new Pokemon and has yet to meet a new rival.

As much as Gou needs the attention to establish himself, the show was marketed as having two protagonists, and right now Ash isn't fulfilling the same role. It's been by far the least eventful start to a new season for him and that's not going to please people invested in the character.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
In the recent episode, she was all like "why am I even here?" during the kung-fu exercises, further emphasising this reluctance she seems to have about being dragged into everyone else's weirdness, but as yet there's no indication as to why she's like that or what she'd rather be doing instead.
As I already said before, XY took 40 episodes to actually think to itself 'holy ****, does Serena actually not have a purpose on this show?' and then decide to address the elephant in the room (why is Serena just aimlessly traveling around with everyone). I'm fairly certain they will address Koharu's reluctance or lack of interest in these things at some point (considering how they handled Serena), but you also have to understand that Koharu is, as you've already stated yourself, not marketed as the main character. These are the adventures of Ash and Go, not Ash, Go and Koharu.

I think the sooner people realize that Koharu is, in fact, not the female traveling companion like Misty/May/Dawn/Iris/Serena, the better. She may get some focus at some point, but she doesn't have the level of importance as them.

DatsRight

As I already said before, XY took 40 episodes to actually think to itself 'holy ****, does Serena actually not have a purpose on this show?' and then decide to address the elephant in the room (why is Serena just aimlessly traveling around with everyone). I'm fairly certain they will address Koharu's reluctance or lack of interest in these things at some point (considering how they handled Serena), but you also have to understand that Koharu is, as you've already stated yourself, not marketed as the main character. These are the adventures of Ash and Go, not Ash, Go and Koharu.

I think the sooner people realize that Koharu is, in fact, not the female traveling companion like Misty/May/Dawn/Iris/Serena, the better. She may get some focus at some point, but she doesn't have the level of importance as them.

Even as someone who wasn't really impressed by Serena much at all throughout XY, I will say that Serena felt like she had more of a point even early on and at least got token moments of limelight and interaction time, even if they were episodic, eg. the Pokevision episode early on which developed her and Fennekin. Hell even if her very first couple of key roles in the series were as a damsel in distress, it was at least SOMETHING.

Koharu feels weirdly underplayed, even as a supporting character (especially right after SM which shown they could make good use of supporting characters). It feels like they're building up to something with her evasive behaviour towards Ash, but it's maybe taking too long without anything else in the interim to keep her fascinating, and as a foil, a plot device or even just comic relief or exposition, she's not really done anything even compared to some COTD. It almost feels like she was shoehorned in last minute because they insisted on at least SOME sort of female presence in the key cast and most of the episode plans didn't even involve her originally.

Admittedly PM2019 feels kinda disappointingly bland. It feels like it tries to follow on from SM's more free style approach, but lacks the same more ambitious character driven writing to make it fun and like we're still waiting for some ongoing introspective into the main cast to make them endearing, going back to being kind of formulaic and arbitrary and just having the hero cast led wherever. At least they're not just fighting TR all the time, but even for them, SOME of their antics and limelight would have been appreciated (especially after Ultra Legends, which had an okay use of them).

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

She doesn't need to be a main character for this to happen, though. A short scene here and there to allude to something going on is all that's needed. It'd keep her in the audience's mind while building up some intrigue they can use later if they want to. Even support characters require a basic amount of attention otherwise people grow apathetic about them.

For example, maybe she thinks school is really important. They can establish this in 10 seconds with a short scene of her doing schoolwork while Ash and Gou are off on one of their assignment. Or maybe she's a bit jealous of the others because, for whatever reason, she has to stay at home. A 5 second scene of her looking longfully out of a window while Ash and Gou head off is all they would need to establish that.

So she doesn't even need whole episodes to herself. She just needs these little moments that show us that yes, there is something planned for this character.

World Turtle

Or longer I mean it is possible this is the series for more than one gen with the way it works. TBH I would feel weird if they went back for a series focused only on the current Gen for Gen 9. Not to mention how fans would star wars online saying how Galar was cheated and find a way to bring it back to GF saying it was on them due to not giving us a finished game or whatever. I could be overthinking things but idk.

I could see it lasting till Gen 9 then they change things up again for Gen 10 if it lands on the 30th anniversary. Because that'd be a perfect time for another game changer.

Again, hoping their second trip through the regions Ash will start catching stuff.

As for the Galar League? Well for now things can be episodic, but once the anime staff gets a release date for Gen 9 they could probably do the Galar storyline in a 26 episode format.

Ash would already have caught/trained everything. Maybe already met Leon and the Rivals.
So eight gyms, league, Eternatus, and the Royal Brothers (who could be left out and the anime will have lost nothing of value). Yes, I think that could be done in 26 episodes.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I could see it lasting till Gen 9 then they change things up again for Gen 10 if it lands on the 30th anniversary. Because that'd be a perfect time for another game changer.

Again, hoping their second trip through the regions Ash will start catching stuff.

As for the Galar League? Well for now things can be episodic, but once the anime staff gets a release date for Gen 9 they could probably do the Galar storyline in a 26 episode format.

Ash would already have caught/trained everything. Maybe already met Leon and the Rivals.
So eight gyms, league, Eternatus, and the Royal Brothers (who could be left out and the anime will have lost nothing of value). Yes, I think that could be done in 26 episodes.
This is assuming we don't gen more content in the form of SwSh2. Though I am hoping if it is not SwSh2 instead of a 3rd version we get DLC saving some money at least

Status
Not open for further replies.