• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
World Turtle said:
I hope Ash can get an Espeon or even a Meowstic and seeing his mom is lonely without Mimey lets her take care of it for him. Delia's a cat lady after all.

This is just my two cents, but I feel like Satoshi's chances of getting any member of the Eievui line are slim to none considering that he's had twenty years in which to capture one, yet the writers never felt that it was necessary.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
This is just my two cents, but I feel like Satoshi's chances of getting any member of the Eievui line are slim to none considering that he's had twenty years in which to capture one, yet the writers never felt that it was necessary.
I wish he did catch a Eifle and thunders is out of questions as he own famous electric mouse

World Turtle

Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, and Kingler might explain why no Eeveelution in Gen 1
Gen 4 Ash had Torterra so no Leafeon (or at least it was for the best storywise) and May got Glaceon during her cameo.
Serena got Sylveon.

Sometimes its the luck of the draw. Ash gets 5-6 Pokemon at best on average.

With Gary having Umbreon, Espeon would have been perfect for Ash. His Game counterpart even had one., but its a Psychic type and Psychics were still kind of broken back then and Ash was still a rookie and probably wouldn't have gotten a powerful type like that.

Now they're backtracking through all the regions again. Maybe now he can get one.

game3524

It’s a nice change having a series focus on a male companion an equal to Satoshi compared to females.

Agreed.

"Pokegirl" is a bit played out IMO. They have pretty much exhausted every type of dynamic you can do with them and Ash. We have seen the sibling like dynamic with Misty, Dawn, and arguably Iris. We have seen the mentorship dynamic with May, and we saw the "romance" dynamic with Serena. There is just not much you can do with the Pokegirl/Ash dynamic anymore, outside of maybe aging up the girl, which they won't do. Anyway, on the flip side I do think if Ash gets a rival for this series that there is a good chance it will be a girl. Just like the "Pokegirl" is played out, the male rival is even more stale.

game3524

Eevee is generally marketed as Pikachu's counterpart. So I would be surprised if Ash got it. It would be nice if either Ash or Go got one though. It would finally break that stupid trend of only the girls getting it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:
I wish he did catch a Eifle and thunders is out of questions as he own famous electric mouse

I like Eefi quite a bit, but to me the right time for Satoshi to have caught one was back in Jouto so that it would've been a counterpart to Shigeru's Blacky. Now it would just feel needless from my viewpoint.

World Turtle

Eevee is generally marketed as Pikachu's counterpart. So I would be surprised if Ash got it. It would be nice if either Ash or Go got one though. It would finally break that stupid trend of only the girls getting it.

Yes, Eevee is Pikachu's counterpart, but not Espeon. It would be like saying Raichu is Eevee's counterpart when its not. If Ash gets an Eevee they can just evolve it.

I like Eefi quite a bit, but to me the right time for Satoshi to have caught one was back in Jouto so that it would've been a counterpart to Shigeru's Blacky. Now it would just feel needless from my viewpoint.

Not if Gou gets his own Umbreon to contrast him with Ash's Espeon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The irony in this series exploring another male cast member in-depth is that a lot of people don't like it. Gou gets a lot of flack for capturing so many Pokemon or for "stealing" screen-time away from Satoshi, and he's been riding a wave of negativity for a few weeks: things only improved in the past couple of days because the seventh episode of this series featured Gou losing to Houji quickly while Satoshi won the tournament. Had Gou won instead of Satoshi, we'd never hear the end of him supposedly usurping Satoshi's spot.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The irony in this series exploring another male cast member in-depth is that a lot of people don't like it. Gou gets a lot of flack for capturing so many Pokemon or for "stealing" screen-time away from Satoshi, and he's been riding a wave of negativity for a few weeks: things only improved in the past couple of days because the seventh episode of this series featured Gou losing to Houji quickly while Satoshi won the tournament. Had Gou won instead of Satoshi, we'd never hear the end of him supposedly usurping Satoshi's spot.
This is an over exaggeration, Go doesn’t have particular negative reception. The only complaint was about the mass-catching but that seems to have cooled after people (myself included) realized the captures won’t be completely inconsequential. The “stealing” screen time excuse was always flimsy at best. It’s only been seven episode why are you trying to force the idea that Go and Koharu are some super hated characters when most people are neutral about them at worst. Most people recognize Go’s screen time is because he’s a newbie and Satoshi is an established character, most people seem to recognize Koharu’s role as a supporting character means she isn’t going to be treated with similar prominence to past Pokegirls.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
The whole her being a supporting character is why she isn’t getting anything doesn’t have any ground to stand on when other series like my hero academia manages to have supporting characters get meaningful development and screen time.

It's have, she basically have same status as her father the supporting characters same as prof oak, Delia, principal oak , prof sycamore in other the series, do you see this character have lot of episode and big character focus in theirs saga???
If you expect koharu to be treated as pokegirl or companion you will set your self with dissapointment

SatoSereFan224888

This might not fall into speculation but to be honest, I think Ash should not battle the gyms in the new anime. Instead he should leave that to Gou. He can teach him stuff to help. I just feel Ash should no longer be the main focus of the show. Plus I have seen pics of Ash wearing a Galar gym outfit and I think he looks terrible. Besides it's time he stops battling gyms.

Konja7

I'm invested on Ash's character - as boring and predictable as it is, he's my favorite in the show - and I just don't have issue with the lack of focus on him so far. Actually, I'm quite pleased with the series up to this point.

I'd only have a problem with it if Ash was walking background for over 100 episodes. Taking a backseat on 7 (technically 6 since episode 1 was about Pikachu's secret origin) don't bother me specially since they decided to make Go - a new character - be the co-star alongside him.

In fact, Satoshi only took backseat in Episodes 4, 5 and 6 (and he still did some important things in Episodes 4 and 5).

Satoshi is as relevant as Go in Episodes 2, 3 and 7.

It is also pretty likely some future Episodes will focus on Satoshi while Go takes backseat. Episode 9 has a good possibility for this.

Leonhart

Imagineer
game3524 said:
Yeah, saying Go and Koharu are hated is an exaggeration and if anything it highlights that the online Pokemon fandom is in a bit of a bubble.

Hate might be a strong word, but at least on this forum and a few others like it I've definitely seen a lot of negative opinions about Gou, and most of them seem to stem from his screen-time allowance. I don't know if it's based on people worrying that he might someday replacing Satoshi as the main protagonist or just new character syndrome, but it'll be interesting to see if the mood changes next year.

SerenaRulez

This might not fall into speculation but to be honest, I think Ash should not battle the gyms in the new anime. Instead he should leave that to Gou. He can teach him stuff to help. I just feel Ash should no longer be the main focus of the show. Plus I have seen pics of Ash wearing a Galar gym outfit and I think he looks terrible. Besides it's time he stops battling gyms.

How can you say that Ash should not be the main focus of the show when he's still the main character? The writers have kept him in the show so it doesn't make sense for him to step back and let Go lead. A terrible gym battle outfit is the least of Ash's worries :p

As for Ash's team I liked the suggestion that someone made about him getting an Eeveelution but if Ash does get one it should be Leafeon 'cause that's the one that has been shown the least amount of times.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Something I don't like about Go is the fact that he has an air of arrogance around him. For example when Hoji was telling Go his name, he just quickly brushed him off and ignored him while continuing talking to Ash. Idk it was small but it annoyed me.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Good, I'll take a flaw like that instead of having someone portrayed as perfect who can do no wrong.
I don’t mind character flaws but so far he’s shown very little redeeming qualities than his arrogance which he apparently had as a child (I realize we are only seven episodes in though). I just hope people don’t praise Go for that like they weren’t attacking Iris for three years for the same thing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
Something I don't like about Go is the fact that he has an air of arrogance around him. For example when Hoji was telling Go his name, he just quickly brushed him off and ignored him while continuing talking to Ash. Idk it was small but it annoyed me.

I didn't notice that part, but I can sort of understand why that might bother people. In all honesty Satoshi has had moments like that as well, especially in OS when he was still a novice with a big ego. So maybe history is simply repeating itself.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I didn't notice that part, but I can sort of understand why that might bother people. In all honesty Satoshi has had moments like that as well, especially in OS when he was still a novice with a big ego. So maybe history is simply repeating itself.
Yeah Ash was incredibly arrogant. I'm hoping if they're planning on making Go like OS Ash, they at least play it for humor and make other characters aware of it like Brock and Misty.

Status
Not open for further replies.