• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I like the idea of more real-life elements and realistic subplots happening, but not if they're going to be depressing and somber like this. The anime is supposed to be light-hearted, not full of dread.

Things in the real world are never as light-hearted as they are in Pokemon. Like the state of the world now. Plus children's cartoons have killed off characters before. Even live-action kids shows have done it.

I mean if HBOmax somehow got the rights to new Pokemon episodes and they released them once a week, the episode dealing with the fallout of Delia confessing to Ash that Giovanni was his father just before her death (as well as the fallout from her death) could potentially set first-day viewing records for a TV episode released on a streaming service because it was so highly anticipated.

The American serial dramas bring in lots of viewers because they always want to know what the fallout from the previous episode is. It's all about ratings.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Power Up said:
Man, all the salt towards Ash-Greninja here is hilarious to read. Sad to say for those folks, but AG is still Ash's arguably Ash's best Pokemon. Think Peakachu with Z-move is the only Pokemon better.

It would be cool seeing AG back for sure. If he does come back and the Championships work the way I'm imagining it to be, I think AG will play a part in battles against maybe potential Alain and Sawyer battles or even another Diantha rematch. All of this could be in the future.

I don't see why strength [which you implied by bringing up the subject of "Peakachu"] is being used as a counterargument, though. I've yet to see anyone question Gekkouga's battling skills in the first place: almost all of the criticisms that he has received seem to be based on his excessive screen-time, not his battle record.

The fact that some viewers throw win ratios around like they're the end-all deciding factor in how a Pokemon should be perceived by everyone else is honestly a bit vexatious, because it implies that we should all ignore whatever faults a Pokemon might have as long as they got a lot of wins.

LucarioFTWs

I don't see why strength [which you implied by bringing up the subject of "Peakachu"] is being used as a counterargument, though. I've yet to see anyone question Gekkouga's battling skills in the first place: almost all of the criticisms that he has received seem to be based on his excessive screen-time, not his battle record.

The fact that some viewers throw win ratios around like they're the end-all deciding factor in how a Pokemon should be perceived by everyone else is honestly a bit vexatious, because it implies that we should all ignore whatever faults a Pokemon might have as long as they got a lot of wins.
I agree. If i remember correctly ash greninja almost took out champion Diantha mega gardevoir. If ash and greninja mastered the bond form they probably could of beaten diantha. To compare this to infernape who lost to Flint infernape in one hit. While it’s also fair to add on that it didn’t add blaze at the time it goes to show that ash greninja isn’t a bad mon. I know a lot of people who enjoyed Ash greninja and the rest who didn’t like isnt because they didn’t like greninja but how much screentime it took up

Agree, using win rate ratio is also tricky. Some wins and loses happened when they are still growing/learning should be put out of the consideration. There is also the problem of whether we are comparing apple to apple if some pokemon were used against weaker opponents while the others against stronger opponent.

Lol, I saw a post claiming that Noivern was stronger than AG. Other people were playing down all of AG's wins. What are you talking about? Did you read the last couple of pages? There's no need to be disingenuous about what is actually being said in the forum.

AG was no more a screenhogger than Infernape or Charizard was. It was the ace Pokemon; it was going to get the most development. If you want to argue that some Pokemon got shafted like Noivern, I'd be right there with you in agreeing. How I would have changed that would have been to increase the number of episodes or cut even more useless filler to be replaced by more episodes and not cut AG's screentime since I feel like that was necessary(actually would have liked even more tbh).

Of course win ratios are not the end all be all. How a Pokemon should be perceived by everyone is dependent on what actually goes on in the show.

Last edited:
It is not an assumption though if Ash were to get one more Pokémon to complete his team of 6 and he uses only this team then he can still rely on Dragonite and Gengar to weaken Leon’s Charizard before Pikachu battles
First of all, what I mean about assumption is not about that. It is about you saying Ash can catch Articuno and Marshtomp/Dracovish, that would be more than 6 pokemons in his team. So that only work with the assumption that Ash will have more than 6. Note that I am not saying he is limited to 6 (I myself predict more than 6), it is just that it is not comfirmed yet.

Secondly, about Dragonite and Gengar, I already said I prefer Ash have at least 4 pokemons not weak to Fire/Flying main rival (Leon) ace pokemon (Charizare). (Of course there is a possibility of reserve returning which I hope for but it has not been confirmed too).

Note that this is preference, in the previous thread 2 other persons have ask me why I have that preference and I have explained that. Your reply afterwards is only repeating their point when asking me. Do I need to repeat my answer over and over as if I am not allowed to have preference? I only said I don't prefer Articuno, I never said it is wrong to prefer Articuno. This is not prediction, this is not right or wrong.
Because I brought up that if Goh catches Zapdos then I would like for Ash to instead catch either Suicune, Latias, or Articuno as his legendary instead of Zapdos. You then said that you didn’t want him to capture Articuno
No, you are not the one who brought it up. I don't even said that response to you, I was replying to @PsychoLogical and he didn't take issue with it as it is just different preference. We can have different preference, right?

Nb: if you still want yo continue discussing Articuno, feel free to continue here instead of Zapdos thread.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Eh what matters to me is that it can get some love for once since it's always been shafted in the anime and in marketing as well.

I actually completely agree here. We haven't seen much of Marshtomp. Brock's obviously got the shaft and Swampert, while actually being a very solid pokémon in both design and capability got shafted on Morrison's team, a decent showing with Tucker and a two fillers. Yeah. Still not as bas as Chesnaught, but still horrendous for a pokémon that has been with us for as long as Swampert has been.

That being said, I personally see Swampert, Absol and Shiftry as the only options left for Gen3 captures. So I can definitely see it joining and being a valued member of the Journey's roster.

Or that we should disregard a Pokémon's potential when it has a bit of a losing streak. Looking at you Torterra.

For the life of me, I honestly don't know why they didn't give Torterra a pity win during the Sinnoh League. You have Snorlax bodying a Grumpig for splitsecond win and you have Staraptor fighting in two separate battles, so the idea that the Sinnoh Team (except Gible) could only fight vs. Paul isn't true and Snorlax didn't really need that win to begin with, whereas Torterra had been left to dry since evolving. Point is, it should've gotten that battle, a win vs. Nando or Conway - or stolen just ONE of Infernape's, such as Aggron.

I mean this is the Torterra that had the Frontier Brain Palmer's Rhyperior on its arse, sweating and panting as a Grotle. There shouldn't be any doubt that it's strong, but "the battle-record says it's crap, so it's crap!". People actually thought that it and Buizel got weaker as Sinnoh progressed, where in reality, they just got victimized for the Infernape-storyline.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Saying AG took as much of the time as Charizard or Infernape is so disingenuous. Ash greninja literally took out the whole XYZ arc in such a way where it was the main ash Mon in the kalos league causing other mons to be shafted and ash's main Pokémon for the battle against Lysandre and TF arc in general. Meanwhile infernape was the major focus of the Paul ash storyline but it didn't take away time of the whole saga, just the ash Vs Paul 3 parter, it's screentime was more spread out so that it didn't steal away the shine of the other Pokémon. Torterra may still be a jobber but it sure wasn't coz infernape took of much of the time like it was for greninja and noivern.
And charizard was ash's original strong Pokémon but it barely took over time as much as AG, let alone a whole saga

D

Deleted member 384931

Saying AG took as much of the time as Charizard or Infernape is so disingenuous. Ash greninja literally took out the whole XYZ arc in such a way where it was the main ash Mon in the kalos league causing other mons to be shafted and ash's main Pokémon for the battle against Lysandre and TF arc in general. Meanwhile infernape was the major focus of the Paul ash storyline but it didn't take away time of the whole saga, just the ash Vs Paul 3 parter, it's screentime was more spread out so that it didn't steal away the shine of the other Pokémon. Torterra may still be a jobber but it sure wasn't coz infernape took of much of the time like it was for greninja and noivern.
And charizard was ash's original strong Pokémon but it barely took over time as much as AG, let alone a whole saga
If you wanna tell a story, sometimes there are gonna be sacrifices.

Decidueye23

I actually completely agree here. We haven't seen much of Marshtomp. Brock's obviously got the shaft and Swampert, while actually being a very solid pokémon in both design and capability got shafted on Morrison's team, a decent showing with Tucker and a two fillers. Yeah. Still not as bas as Chesnaught, but still horrendous for a pokémon that has been with us for as long as Swampert has been.

That being said, I personally see Swampert, Absol and Shiftry as the only options left for Gen3 captures. So I can definitely see it joining and being a valued member of the Journey's roster.

Or that we should disregard a Pokémon's potential when it has a bit of a losing streak. Looking at you Torterra.

For the life of me, I honestly don't know why they didn't give Torterra a pity win during the Sinnoh League. You have Snorlax bodying a Grumpig for splitsecond win and you have Staraptor fighting in two separate battles, so the idea that the Sinnoh Team (except Gible) could only fight vs. Paul isn't true and Snorlax didn't really need that win to begin with, whereas Torterra had been left to dry since evolving. Point is, it should've gotten that battle, a win vs. Nando or Conway - or stolen just ONE of Infernape's, such as Aggron.

I mean this is the Torterra that had the Frontier Brain Palmer's Rhyperior on its arse, sweating and panting as a Grotle. There shouldn't be any doubt that it's strong, but "the battle-record says it's crap, so it's crap!". People actually thought that it and Buizel got weaker as Sinnoh progressed, where in reality, they just got victimized for the Infernape-storyline.
I agree with you. It was quite strong. It did reasonably well against an E4 pokemon and as a grottle it did vwry well agianst palmers rhyperior so its no way weak.

Goodra also gets the same thing that it jobbed in the league. How is tieng with a type that is super effective against you and loosing to a literal 1 hit KO move jobbing?

In its battle against volkner Torterra got defeated because of two super effectivr moves, and also against drapion where pin missile was super effective against it. Which is why i want it to come back in journeys and defeat bertha, which will put debates about its strengths to rest

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Spoiler: Ash ends up being the first known person to use a simultaneous Dynamaxed Mega Evolution. Wearing a Dynamax Band on one wrist, and a Mega Ring on the other. =P

Nah, he'll use Ash-Greninja - who is par with mega evolution - and combine with dynamax and Z-moves.

He'll still lose but hey, get hype for the brand new form!

Still not as bas as Chesnaught, but still horrendous for a pokémon that has been with us for as long as Swampert has been.

Bash Quilladin but don't talk bad of Chesnaught. He's a gud boi.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Bash Quilladin but don't talk bad of Chesnaught. He's a gud boi.

Honestly, I think it could've worked if Ash caught a Quilladin at the start of the XYZ-portion, but I guess the writers just didn't want another Infernape/Torterra-scenario.

Then that didn't happen and I hoped for the shiny Phantump.. And lol, nope.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Dude this is a cartoon for kids produced in Japan so why would they write anything similar to this cliche wannabe House, M.D. episode?

Btw you forgot to mention that Pikachu's a mammal.
They also forgot to mention milk somewhere too.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
The only thing I get from that is that there will be another Hoenn visit soon.
We will but not for Legendaries. The thing I posted was likely fake so I got rid of the post if that's what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.