• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pocket Monsters (2019) Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There's 8 to choose from. Why Espeon specifically?
Taking a guess from what I’ve seen but I’d assume it’s because Red had one in Gen 2 and it’d be a counterpart to Gary’s (and ig Gladion’s) Umbreon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm all for Satoshi getting an Eifie if it comes to that [although I'm playing Devil's advocate since I sort of doubt he'll get a member of the Eievui line in this series], but I don't think that the Shigeru/Blacky justification works in this case since I don't see why the writers would want to draw a parallel between Satoshi and Shigeru at this point when Shigeru is a non-factor in the plot.

Dzentelmen

If you look at Red's team from the games, Ash caught all of them in the original series, even though his Squirtle and Bulbasaur didn't evolve. In later games they changed Espeon for Lapras so Red's team got even more similar to Ash's. It would be cool if he finally got the one he didn't get back then.

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
At this point, people only want Espeon for Ash due to mainly Ash being Red’s anime counterpart and Red had a Espeon while Ash mysteriously didn’t.

Red and Blue

Not sure how likely it is at this point by I wouldn't mind Espeon going to Ash. It could form a rivalry with Gladion or Gary's Umbreon if they are competing in the PWC

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
He can still be both a researcher and a trainer. He could decide to battle seriously again and enter the PWC
That would be a regression of his character. I don't think that they would regress his character and ignore all his development just to justify one Ash capture.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
At this point, people only want Espeon for Ash due to mainly Ash being Red’s anime counterpart and Red had a Espeon while Ash mysteriously didn’t.

Don't agree.

1. Look at the usage of each Eeveelution. Espeon -despite its long existence- has barely ever played a substantial role in the animé. Anabel had one that fought well. I don't remember any other in that capacity. Pf course Virgil had one, but yeah.. >.> A lot of the other Eeveelutions are overdone or simply boring. Sylveon and Glaceon are owned by former castmembers, I personally think Vaporeon should still go to Lana if we see her again. Umbreon to Gary/Gladion. Jolteon: just no - As a pure Electric-type, it can't stand out vs. Pikachu. That leaves Flareon, Espeon and Leafeon. Ash simply has better Fire and Grass-type options. So if I had to rank those three options for Ash, it would be Espeon, Leafeon (least amount of apearances), Flareon.

2. It has a sleak and unique design with i.e. the pronged tail. Not its tail has any substantial power or anything, but it looks cool and would stand out in Ash's current team.

3. It's a quintessential Psychic-type. Ash basically has Mimey on loan, but nobody really, truthfully considers it as Ash's official teammember - or rather: Ash's first Psychic-type. Espeon could clear that doubt and fully function as Ash's first Psychic-type.

Red and Blue

Don't agree.

1. Look at the usage of each Eeveelution. Espeon -despite its long existence- has barely ever played a substantial role in the animé. Anabel had one that fought well. I don't remember any other in that capacity. Pf course Virgil had one, but yeah.. >.> A lot of the other Eeveelutions are overdone or simply boring. Sylveon and Glaceon are owned by former castmembers, I personally think Vaporeon should still go to Lana if we see her again. Umbreon to Gary/Gladion. Jolteon: just no - As a pure Electric-type, it can't stand out vs. Pikachu. That leaves Flareon, Espeon and Leafeon. Ash simply has better Fire and Grass-type options. So if I had to rank those three options for Ash, it would be Espeon, Leafeon (least amount of apearances), Flareon.

2. It has a sleak and unique design with i.e. the pronged tail. Not its tail has any substantial power or anything, but it looks cool and would stand out in Ash's current team.

3. It's a quintessential Psychic-type. Ash basically has Mimey on loan, but nobody really, truthfully considers it as Ash's official teammember - or rather: Ash's first Psychic-type. Espeon could clear that doubt and fully function as Ash's first Psychic type
I consider Mimey Ash's first Psychic type. Even if it falls under a retcon(which is somewhat debatable).

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blaze Master X said:
Because Red had one in GSC.. Well, Ash is Red's anime counterpart.

I don't think that should even be a factor anyway, because by that logic Satoshi should have a Kamex and Fushigibana as well, and he obviously doesn't [unless people think that his Zenigame and Fushigidane evolved off-screen]. I don't think that Satoshi needs to have a perfect copy of Red's team, regardless.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
I stand by my personal view that being a Ranger - or a variation of the occupation - would be more adequate for Ash if he ever decides taking on a carreer other than professional battler.

Any particular reason why? Rangers don't battle, so it would sort of be counterproductive given that Satoshi likes to battle. I can't envision him deciding to give that up just to protect some wild Pokemon.

ShadowForce720

I don't think that should even be a factor anyway, because by that logic Satoshi should have a Kamex and Fushigibana as well, and he obviously doesn't [unless people think that his Zenigame and Fushigidane evolved off-screen]. I don't think that Satoshi needs to have a perfect copy of Red's team, regardless.

I mean to be fair if you really compare Ash’s and Red’s teams together Ash has almost every single Pokémon that Red has with the only differences between the teams is that Ash has some at different evolutionary stages and doesn’t have any member of the Eevee line.

Espeon is the only Pokémon on Red’s team that Ash hasn’t either owned or own a member of it’s evolutionary line.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I consider Mimey Ash's first Psychic type. Even if it falls under a retcon(which is somewhat debatable).

that's just the problem, your free to do so, and as for me i'm neutral about it, but others don't see it.

it's circumstances of "Truly" being Ash's is questionable no matter how had the justification, especially since unlike the three pokemon he caught which he could've gotten sooner, Mimey has been owned by his mother all this time.

which only adds the confusion.

1. Look at the usage of each Eeveelution. Espeon -despite its long existence- has barely ever played a substantial role in the animé. Anabel had one that fought well. I don't remember any other in that capacity. Pf course Virgil had one, but yeah.. >.> A lot of the other Eeveelutions are overdone or simply boring.

In my opinion the best Espeon we've seen was the one belonging to Sakura who debuted the species, especially when she came back in the chronicles episode and hers was capable of swimming in water quite well, almost like a Vaporeon.

Sylveon and Glaceon are owned by former cast members

Iris also had a Dragonite so that point is not valid.

I can agree that fire, water, and grass (Flareon, Vaporeon, Leafeon) don't really offer much and there are much better choices, and yes I would rather just see Lana with Vaporeon at this point.

Jolteon is pure electric, and while I don't mind Ash ever getting another electric type I do not want it to be pure typed since I don't see what it can offer that Pikachu already can, and no I do not see the appeal of Zeraora, i'd rather Toxtricity or something else so it can combine it's secondary element into it's electrical attacks to diversify itself from Pikachu.

Umbreon has been used by Gary and Gladion (technically Virgil but Ash didn't fight him), so it feels kind of overdone.

glaceon,sylveon and Espeon are the only 3 eeveelutions I personally feel that would be unique with Ash, and i'd personally rather go with one of the first two since the majority seems to pick Espeon as a deadlock.

there are other psychic's i'd like to see Ash get anyway

ShadowForce720

that's just the problem, your free to do so, and as for me i'm neutral about it, but others don't see it.

it's circumstances of "Truly" being Ash's is questionable no matter how had the justification, especially since unlike the three pokemon he caught which he could've gotten sooner, Mimey has been owned by his mother all this time.

which only adds the confusion.

In my opinion the best Espeon we've seen was the one belonging to Sakura who debuted the species, especially when she came back in the chronicles episode and hers was capable of swimming in water quite well, almost like a Vaporeon.

Iris also had a Dragonite so that point is not valid.

I can agree that fire, water, and grass (Flareon, Vaporeon, Leafeon) don't really offer much and there are much better choices, and yes I would rather just see Lana with Vaporeon at this point.

Jolteon is pure electric, and while I don't mind Ash ever getting another electric type I do not want it to be pure typed since I don't see what it can offer that Pikachu already can, and no I do not see the appeal of Zeraora, i'd rather Toxtricity or something else so it can combine it's secondary element into it's electrical attacks to diversify itself from Pikachu.

Umbreon has been used by Gary and Gladion (technically Virgil but Ash didn't fight him), so it feels kind of overdone.

glaceon,sylveon and Espeon are the only 3 eeveelutions I personally feel that would be unique with Ash, and i'd personally rather go with one of the first two since the majority seems to pick Espeon as a deadlock.

there are other psychic's i'd like to see Ash get anyway

Actually Delia never actually owned Mimey, sure she gave it a nickname but she also gave Ash’s Alolan mons a nickname.

Basically it seems to be more of a case similar to Brock’s Ludicolo where it wound up staying and helping Delia but it was caught and has always belong to Ash.

Sure the audience might have not realize that Mimey actually belonged to Ash but it seems to be a case where the writers have always considered it to be one of Ash’s Pokémon.

Basically the reason why we are seeing a lot of merchandise that shows Mimey with Ash’s team even though it doesn’t get classified as a part of his active team is probably meant to make it clear that regardless of what some people think Mimey does belong to Ash it’s just an active team member of his current team.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
But if he does become a Pokemon master why would he settle for being a Pokemon professor after that?

That would almost be like a downgrade and besides Ash likes battling alot so I don't think he would want to be stuck in a lab all day. :(

This. It isn't Ash's style to care about researching any ways. Sure he goes on 'research' trips with Goh in this saga but those are more like playdates than actual learning experiences for Ash ...

Status
Not open for further replies.